Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Cheap when they're talking about Rice being £150m+ 

I'd expect him to be upwards of £40m, especially to a "top 6" club.

Doesn’t Bissouma have a sexual assault allegation lingering about though? Probably knocked a bit off his price tag. 

(disclaimer, I don’t know if they have been dropped yet).

16 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Sport Republic out, FFS.

We should’ve been taken over by a consortium of rogue Origami masters.

#NoFoldsBarred

Or the makers of Lemsip

#nocoldsbarred

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

The £25m bid for Bissouma, with 12 months on his contract, from a notoriously tight Levy just shows what an utter p*ss-take the £25m Villa bid for JWP was.

Also shows that an ever increasing amount of players at the mid table sides are letting their contracts run down as it makes them far more attractive to buy than when they have crazy price tags like JWP will this summer.

Clear trend, especially with players who sign four year contracts. A year to settle, two to attract attention and by then the selling club are forced to sell for a tame fee versus the quality of the player.

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Also shows that an ever increasing amount of players at the mid table sides are letting their contracts run down as it makes them far more attractive to buy than when they have crazy price tags like JWP will this summer.

Clear trend, especially with players who sign four year contracts. A year to settle, two to attract attention and by then the selling club are forced to sell for a tame fee versus the quality of the player.

That contract for JWP one of the smarter things the clubs done in recent years.

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61783551

Seems a bit cheap. Will be a top player.

I thought that. Perhaps was seeing out his contract, so Ajax didn't have a strong hand. 

Player power was strong, but it feels like it is getting stronger, with many seeing out contracts and not putting themselves in situations were the current club can demand a fee so big they can't get a move.

This could well happen with Salisu and others, and without that big transfer fee maybe every two or three years, it becomes impossible to balance the books. The only other option is to cut the wage bill significantly, so as to not overspend in the first place. 

36 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Absolutely this. Watch Salisu walk for a fee much smaller than the £40m Newcastle offered.  And of course we ought to be buying players towards the end of their contracts elsewhere too. Everyone is starting to do this.

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

I thought that. Perhaps was seeing out his contract, so Ajax didn't have a strong hand. 

Player power was strong, but it feels like it is getting stronger, with many seeing out contracts and not putting themselves in situations were the current club can demand a fee so big they can't get a move.

This could well happen with Salisu and others, and without that big transfer fee maybe every two or three years, it becomes impossible to balance the books. The only other option is to cut the wage bill significantly, so as to not overspend in the first place. 

Was always likely to happen given the Bosman ruling. 

35 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Oxford fan at work reckons we've enquired about Luke McNally. Centre-back, 22 yo. Was liked to Spurs at the end of last season. Said he's very good in the air and a decent tackler. 

That's interesting. I've often felt we need an old school "head it, kick it, block it" centre-back. Someone who could come from the lower leagues but still adapt well to the Premier League like Lewis Dunk did as Brighton moved through the leagues, for example.

44 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Oxford fan at work reckons we've enquired about Luke McNally. Centre-back, 22 yo. Was liked to Spurs at the end of last season. Said he's very good in the air and a decent tackler. 

I like these old school style links.

Got to be worth a look at.

8 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

That's interesting. I've often felt we need an old school "head it, kick it, block it" centre-back. Someone who could come from the lower leagues but still adapt well to the Premier League like Lewis Dunk did as Brighton moved through the leagues, for example.

Agree. 100% (as they say on Love Island)

11 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Was always likely to happen given the Bosman ruling. 

Absolutely, but that was over 25 years ago and it feels like its only the last few years where players are turning down the `no brainer' extensions (that wouldn't stop them moving if they wanted anyway) to give them greater flexibility.

Zaha being stuck behind a £70m transfer fee request typifies why players are not signing those deals as often. 

Clubs like ours need to be very careful as this escalates. I know we as fans don't want to hear it, but a massive bid for one of our players could be a good thing. We do need that cash and if we don't sell players at their peak they are increasingly going to walk on frees. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Whenever I see "Oxford" and "CB", Mark Wright immediately springs to mind. I wonder if he is as classy.

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

or when one of our scouts goes on celibacy ...

#noholesbaird

Or TV news behemoths

#noandrewmarred

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Absolutely, but that was over 25 years ago and it feels like its only the last few years where players are turning down the `no brainer' extensions (that wouldn't stop them moving if they wanted anyway) to give them greater flexibility.

Zaha being stuck behind a £70m transfer fee request typifies why players are not signing those deals as often. 

Clubs like ours need to be very careful as this escalates. I know we as fans don't want to hear it, but a massive bid for one of our players could be a good thing. We do need that cash and if we don't sell players at their peak they are increasingly going to walk on frees. 

Which is why I think we should bite the bullet but make sure that a) we get as near to 100m as possible for our captain and England international with years on his contract but b) we replace him (and other positions) with the money. If the club's answer is Harry Winks it is very depressing indeed.

1 hour ago, CamSaint said:

Anyone know when the players report back for pre-season training? That would be the point by which you'd hope that the significant 'ins' & 'outs' had been completed. But then again, we are talking about Saints..........

How long have you been a Saints supporter? We all know where this transfer window is heading. Just assume next season's team will look remarkably similar to last year's with the odd addition to the squad who will be described as "one for the future". 

Feb 12, 1980 seems an awful long time ago.

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

How long have you been a Saints supporter? We all know where this transfer window is heading. Just assume next season's team will look remarkably similar to last year's with the odd addition to the squad who will be described as "one for the future". 

Feb 12, 1980 seems an awful long time ago.

With each passing day its more and more likely yes. Oh im so looking forward to seeing Long, Stephens, Redmond, Moi, Bednarek and Diallo in and around the first eleven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Isn't that Dusan Tadic in the picture?

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Best thing about this is he is leaving the eredevise whilst still young (20) so will improve as the quality of league improves rather than plateau.

Tadic still Ajax's best player by a mile ( 13 goals and 19 assists hahaha) and even Davy Klassen scored 8 goals last year.

Edited by Convict Colony

2 hours ago, DT said:

Which is why I think we should bite the bullet but make sure that a) we get as near to 100m as possible for our captain and England international with years on his contract.

We'd be extremely lucky to get 60m, 100m is just fantasy.

6 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Richard Dryden anyone!!

46 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Keep clapping happy and being hoodwinked by all those at the club. Absolute mug.......

What are they hoodwinking us about? And what evidence do you have that it is the case?

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Vincent Kompany taking charge at Burnley, so they're likely to have first call on the Man City youngsters, although links have seemingly gone quiet there with us.

I doubt Kompany being manager would mean if both Saints and Burnley offered Liam Delap regular games on loan would see player or Man City pick the Championship over the PL.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I doubt Kompany being manager would mean if both Saints and Burnley offered Liam Delap regular games on loan would see player or Man City would pick the Championship over the PL.

I think he’ll be a good manager. Would have liked him to replace Ralph. Ah well. 

• Haha 1