Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Mystified by the hype around this bloke. Whenever I've seen him he just strolls around like he's a big deal and plays a few simple sideways passes. Can't or won't break into a sprint, or put his body on the line in a challenge. 

I don't see anything special there.

Perfect for our team - sign him up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Professor said:

If we were to get Eriksen it would show a determination that the new management have yet to demonstrate.   For Saints, Eriksen could be the Jimmy Case of the 21st century. 

When you say if we were to get him…

are we in for him?

3 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Eriksen coming to saints 🤣🤣🤣

Don't you mean Sony Erricson the gaffers new phone...

Jesus wept face it lads 

We are going to end up with some youth on loan and some foreign unknowns.... 

Just curious, did you know anything about the 'foreign unknowns' Sadio Mane, Dusan Tadic or Graziano Pelle when we bought them? Also Perraud, Salisu, Broja and Livramento fit into the category you have just said and I'd say they have all been very good signings...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, tunit said:

Just curious, did you know anything about the 'foreign unknowns' Sadio Mane, Dusan Tadic or Graziano Pelle when we bought them? Also Perraud, Salisu, Broja and Livramento fit into the category you have just said and I'd say they have all been very good signings...

Youth purchases are a very risky business. Some will pay off, some won't - these types of signings should be used to supplement a wider transfer strategy as opposed to relying on it. Trust me, It will catch up with us at some point. And by the way, Broja is not our player.........

24 minutes ago, tunit said:

Has Perraud been a "very good signing"? 🤨

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Youth purchases are a very risky business. Some will pay off, some won't - these types of signings should be used to supplement a wider transfer strategy as opposed to relying on it. Trust me, It will catch up with us at some point. And by the way, Broja is not our player.........

He said we'd end up with 'some youth loan'. I know Broja is not our player...............

9 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Has Perraud been a "very good signing"? 🤨

I'd say so. Has looked comfortable both attacking and defending and only 24. An upgrade on Bertrand the past few seasons for sure. I'd maybe downgrade the 'very good' to just 'good'

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

https://football-italia.net/southampton-make-offer-for-svanberg/

(The bit on gazzetta relating to Svanberg translates to...

Mattias Svanberg could go to the Premier League: Southampton has offered € 10 million to Bologna.)

Reads like a rehash of the earlier reports than a new update.

Most of the Italian transfer reports are pretty unreliable aside from a few individuals.

1 hour ago, tunit said:

I'd say so. Has looked comfortable both attacking and defending and only 24. An upgrade on Bertrand the past few seasons for sure. I'd maybe downgrade the 'very good' to just 'good'

Fair enough. Personally I think around £10m was a lot to pay at the time for someone who would be stuck behind a right-back but for Livramento's injury. 

1 hour ago, tunit said:

Yeah that's fair, I wouldn't say he's been very good - but good is a fair assessment. He will be first choice for us next season and I don't have a huge prob with that. We looked better when he was in the team (he was awesome Spurs away)

Three in a row from the Stadler and Waldorf brigade. It amazes me why you lot bother (a) supporting Saints and (b) coming on here.  It's like you enjoy being miserable.

3 hours ago, SonicBoom said:

Spurs are very short odds to get Eriksen back. There is no chance he'd come to us. Face it, would you ? Right now most would put us in the bottom quarter of the league for next season. 

Yes I would.  wouldn't you?  

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Most would put us in the bottom three. 

Just checked with the bookies again as I assumed there have been some changes since last time.  We are priced to finish 15th by objective experts who are financially invested in getting their predictions right.  So who are these 'most' you refer to?  

2 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Eriksen coming to saints 🤣🤣🤣

Don't you mean Sony Erricson the gaffers new phone...

Jesus wept face it lads 

We are going to end up with some youth on loan and some foreign unknowns.... 

We're doomed I tell you.  Youth on loan and foreign unknowns.  We've taken 1 youth on loan that I can remember in the past 100 years.  And as for foreign unknowns, as someone else said, were you like this when we signed Tadic and Mane? (I know for every Mane there's been a Carillo, but it's that doesn't make it a bad strategy.)

I'm not saying we're signing Eriksen but guys really, I'm worried about your misery levels.  This is Saints; what do you want from a summer transfer window thread?    

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

So I should support Real Madrid because we are signing Diallo MK2 a year after signing Diallo.

Have a day off.  It’s just my opinion.

What makes you think he's anything like Diallo?

He's got a much bigger physical stature to start with. I don't know a great deal about him as I've not really seen him play, but I know from reports over a few years that he is very highly rated. I'd say a level above the Diallo's based on the reports I've read.

16 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

So I should support Real Madrid because we are signing Diallo MK2 a year after signing Diallo.

before MLG - we signed Diallo 2 yrs ago 😉

Wondering though in all seriousness if we had svanberg and diallo our midfield would be a lot more dynamic i guess

14 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I have no idea if we want him, but when his name appeared the other week, it had all the hallmarks of a Saints-esque target.

I'm guessing Crocker would also be aware of him due to his England youth invovlement.

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Diallo was signed with just over half a season of top flight French football and some appearances in the French lower divisions. Svanberg is a full international with over 100 appearances in Serie A and a two time winner of the Swedish top flight. I'm a little bit more excited by him and am all for making him our modern day Anders Svensson.

Mavididi's had a weird career. I remember he wasn't exactly pulling up trees at Charlton or Preston on loan from Arsenal and then all of a sudden he ended up at Juventus. He seems to be adding goals to his game now and he's more of 10 for us than a striker, contrary to his Wikipedia page. Would be a gamble, but he does have pace.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

What makes you think he's anything like Diallo?

He's got a much bigger physical stature to start with. I don't know a great deal about him as I've not really seen him play, but I know from reports over a few years that he is very highly rated. I'd say a level above the Diallo's based on the reports I've read.

I hope you’re right.  Maybe Diallo is going to be moved on.

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Can't bring myself to get excited about Svanberg I have to say. I can't shake the feeling that he'll end up proving to be a midfielder that's average at everything but good at nothing. 

I know nothing about him but was a bit put off by description of him when his name was first linked. 

22 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Can't bring myself to get excited about Svanberg I have to say. I can't shake the feeling that he'll end up proving to be a midfielder that's average at everything but good at nothing. 

Think he sounds like a good fit for our system. box to box midfielder, hard working, can transition the ball.  Looks a better fit for how we want to play than Romeu.

21 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Am Swedish and follow our national team, and this is a pretty good description of Svanberg. Not that fast, but a little faster than JWP or Romeu. Not that big, decent at tackling and passing, works hard and has a good shot. Not a fast dribbler, not a defensive midfielder, not a technical playmaker. Is pretty highly rated in Italy though. Has started 2 out of 4 national games recently and not really done anything. With all this said he's not a bad player, just not an exciting one. If i should compare him with another player i would say he's like a JWP without the freekicks, or a less technical Stuart Armstrong, or a crossover between these.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Would be happy with that 

If the club could get close to the fee back for Diallo, O’Brien at Hudds has a £12m release fee apparently although linked with nearby Leeds for ages. Hardly used Diallo last term so with Svanberg that would effectively be two new CMs. Engine room choices of those two, JWP and Romeu sound a bit more PL standard on paper at least.

Edited by saint1977

16 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

Am Swedish and follow our national team, and this is a pretty good description of Svanberg. Not that fast, but a little faster than JWP or Romeu. Not that big, decent at tackling and passing, works hard and has a good shot. Not a fast dribbler, not a defensive midfielder, not a technical playmaker. Is pretty highly rated in Italy though. Has started 2 out of 4 national games recently and not really done anything. With all this said he's not a bad player, just not an exciting one. If i should compare him with another player i would say he's like a JWP without the freekicks, or a less technical Stuart Armstrong, or a crossover between these.

Sounds familiar. Is he good at pointing and shouting? How are his post match embarrassing defeat interviews?

Edited by Turkish

38 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Think he sounds like a good fit for our system. box to box midfielder, hard working, can transition the ball.  Looks a better fit for how we want to play than Romeu.

You've also got to be able to win the ball and /or do something with it. I'd rather have a midfielder who is very good at passing and crossing, but poor at tackling, or a midfielder who's very good at tackling and intercepting the ball, but terrible at shooting. 

Average at everything just makes me think of Hojberg and he was poor for us.

20 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

I'm not usually one of the 'write him off before he joins us' brigade but, based on this insight, it's a "no" from me.

6 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

Have only seen him in the national team. He is probably more offensive in Bologna, and that may suite him more, but i don't know.  

This is a video of him at Bolonga. Not sure if this matches up with what you see for Sweden 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm not usually one of the 'write him off before he joins us' brigade but, based on this insight, it's a "no" from me.

According to this has the potential to be good enough to be the same level as Grelish and Tielemans. Looks exicting to me! 

Mattias Svanberg FIFA 22 - Rating and Potential - Career Mode | FIFACM

Edited by Turkish