Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

50 minutes ago, Dellman said:

It would be a backward step. We need a young hopeful up front with a bit of dash to stir us up and unsettle defences.

What? Eriksen would be our best player by a mile. We won’t be in for him though as won’t have a high resale value 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The only reason Eriksen hasn't signed at Brentford is because he's waiting for a Top 4 club to have a bite.

If they don't, he'll re-sign at Brentford.

When I was up there for the match they were saying quite confidently that he was signing and was sorting out childcare for the following season

It’ll be interesting to see what he does but I 100% agree, it’ll probably be Spurs or Brentford, I just can’t see him going anywhere else

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What? Eriksen would be our best player by a mile. We won’t be in for him though as won’t have a high resale value 

We won't be in for him because he wouldn't give us a second look. The only time we may have been able to sign him was when he was prone on the turf at death's door.

9 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

We won't be in for him because he wouldn't give us a second look. The only time we may have been able to sign him was when he was prone on the turf at death's door.

And yet again we moved too slow.

Edited by Master Bates
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Exactly what we need to commence the new no holds barred era.  I really wouldn't be surprised if we are in for him. 

As much chance of signing him as signing Timo Werner, which if I remember wafted on to this discussion yesterday

17 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

You are simply amplifying talking points that are irrelevant. Long is a good squad player. End of. Go give your negative vibes elsewhere 

Not sure if you're on the wind up or not as defending Long is a bizarre stance. His goalscoring record since Koeman left is 13 goals in 138 PL appearances which is a whopping 0.09 goals per game. The fact he dropped down to the championship with Bmouth and did nothing of note also shows that might not even be his level. But sure hes good to have around because hes a great lad in the dressing room.

18 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

As much chance of signing him as signing Timo Werner, which if I remember wafted on to this discussion yesterday

Yes, I agree, Bob hope probably. But Ankersen, a fellow Dane, will have been instrumental in setting up the deal that got him from Inter Milan to Brentford, that's positive, so we can have some hope that this is the elusive 'blend' favoured by the new board. 

For those of us fortunate to see what genuine class / experience plus raw potential / willingness to learn provided at peak during the McMenemy era the chance of seeing it again tends to cloud better judgement.  I recently watched a brilliant interview with David Bailey and he was accused of 'throwing his weight around' over the years in terms of putting up and coming superstars in their place, without blinking he said 'yes, of course, but to be able to do that you have to have some weight to throw in the first place...'  I really hope this summer we have some heavyweights joining along with the usual prospects.   

He'd be an upgrade on our best 10 in Stuart Armstrong but having them both in the same side would be like pulling teeth. Don't think he's the best suited player to Ralph's 4-2-2-2 tbh. Obviously in an ideal world he finally finds a plan B but I can't see that happening.

Can see him rotting on the bench at Tottenham or Man U for his final years.

If re-signing Ings means not starting the season with Adams/Armstrong/Long as our attacking trio "ably" backed up by Tella, Redmond and N'Lundulu then I'm all for it, at the right price. However I'd hope we had better on our shortlist than a player knocking on for the end of his career.

Erikson - no chance, would love him but he'll go to better. Maybe even back to Spurs.

Long new contract - FFS.

Been in and near Portsmouth and IOW for the last week on holiday so only been checking in. How close is Bazunu to signing? At least that would set the ball rolling.

4 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Yes, I am one of the oldies who remembers that deal! Ron Davies will always be one of my all time favourites. He scored a lot of goals for us many of which were superb especially headers from the supply of Paine and Sydenham - some of my fondest memories are from visits to the Dell in those days.

Me too, an age when you could just wander into The Dell at 14:30 on a Saturday afternoon.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

Me too, an age when you could just wander into The Dell at 14:30 on a Saturday afternoon.

Ron Davies... £50,000 from Norwich if I remember correctly. Also (I haven't checked Mr Google) top scorer in the First Division two seasons running I think. Great, great days. Team full of real characters.....

• Like 3

Eriksen transformed Brentford. They had three wins in 20 matches between October and February, including a 4-1 defeat against us and were looking pretty certain for relegation. Eriksen comes in and they win 7 of their last 11, finishing above us in 13th. He was on another level and was creating pieces of magic out of nothing, something which we have missed for a number of years now. I'd be surprised if he doesn't return to his level this summer, which is at the top and if he doesn't, he'll probably return to Brentford as they're the club who gave him the opportunity again, while many stayed clear. Essentially, he's well out of our league.

• Like 4

I think that when posters start mentioning us signing Eriksen and Werner without any irony they should get a forum suspension for a week. I know its all care in the community these days but by allowing them to post such tosh we are enabling their decent into madness.

• Haha 7

22 minutes ago, swannymere said:

I think that when posters start mentioning us signing Eriksen and Werner without any irony they should get a forum suspension for a week. I know its all care in the community these days but by allowing them to post such tosh we are enabling their decent into madness.

It’s for their own good 👍 

A midfield 3 of JWP, romeu, and eriksen would be fairly 🍆🍆🍆

(Obviously I am speaking hypothetically, but a man can dream). 

Chuck in bazunu, a competent CB, a good attacking 10, and a good striker - like openda (or similar ilk) - and it would be a very tidy window for a team like saints.... Again a man can dream. 

I guess we also need cover at full back

Forster = eriksen wages? 

I guess we'll be shifting djenpo/redmond /Ely, one of bednarek/salisu, maybe Armstrong up top? 

Edited by Saint86

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

A midfield 3 of JWP, romeu, and eriksen would be imho 🍆🍆🍆

A midfield three in the first place would be a win, regardless of who the third person is alongside JWP and Romeu.

Unfortunately Ralph is stubborn and will not deviate from the average “4-2-2-2, high press for the first 45 minutes” tactic.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

A midfield 3 of JWP, romeu, and eriksen would be fairly 🍆🍆🍆

(Obviously I am speaking hypothetically, but a man can dream). 

Chuck in bazunu, a competent CB, a good attacking 10, and a good striker - like openda (or similar ilk) - and it would be a very tidy window for a team like saints.... Again a man can dream. 

I guess we also need cover at full back

Forster = eriksen wages? 

I guess we'll be shifting djenpo/redmond /Ely, one of bednarek/salisu, maybe Armstrong up top? 

Fairly aubergine? I don’t know if that’s good or bad?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Don't think he's the best suited player to Ralph's 4-2-2-2 tbh. Obviously in an ideal world he finally finds a plan B but I can't see that happening.

I agree, but then it leads me to the question which great players do fit the 4222?

If we had Salah or Son for instance where would they play? Up front or on the number 10/wing position? 

Or where would a Kevin De Bruyne fit into that formation? If we take it down a notch, where would a Rashford or Saint-Maximin play?

I don't mind the "4222" against the better teams if we use it to park the bus with 2 banks of 4, but against the lesser teams it just seems devoid of quality in the number 10 role or we get overrun in midfield.

I hope we are trying something different this summer.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

A midfield three in the first place would be a win, regardless of who the third person is alongside JWP and Romeu.

Unfortunately Ralph is stubborn and will not deviate from the average “4-2-2-2, high press for the first 45 minutes” tactic.

Who knows, maybe without the likes of Kelvin (club legend that he is) as a tactical sounding board, maybe we will see a change in that regard... Although I agree it is unlikely. 

4 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

True, he certainly doesn't have the heart to play for us now.

4 hours ago, SNSUN said:

If re-signing Ings means not starting the season with Adams/Armstrong/Long as our attacking trio "ably" backed up by Tella, Redmond and N'Lundulu then I'm all for it, at the right price. However I'd hope we had better on our shortlist than a player knocking on for the end of his career.

Erikson - no chance, would love him but he'll go to better. Maybe even back to Spurs.

Long new contract - FFS.

Been in and near Portsmouth and IOW for the last week on holiday so only been checking in. How close is Bazunu to signing? At least that would set the ball rolling.

IOW :suspicious:

4 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Long new contract - FFS.

You went on holiday to Portsmouth? Was it supporting a charity or something ?

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Ron Davies... £50,000 from Norwich if I remember correctly. Also (I haven't checked Mr Google) top scorer in the First Division two seasons running I think. Great, great days. Team full of real characters.....

I’m going to go all MLG on you but I think he cost us a massive £60,000. Also he was top scorer in Division 1 3 years running, one of them jointly with George Best. Matt Busby said he was possibly the best centre forward in Europe at the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The only reason Eriksen hasn't signed at Brentford is because he's waiting for a Top 4 club to have a bite.

If they don't, he'll re-sign at Brentford.

Family settled in London. Spurs or Brentford seems likely. 

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

Family settled in London. Spurs or Brentford seems likely. 

Families are pretty resilient. The other one is distance. Most footballers put up with a lot (one week in two) for cash. Even training an hour away in a fast car isn’t much. But yeah. Reckon the spurs thing might be too strong. Won’t be coming our way. (If only)

10 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I’m going to go all MLG on you but I think he cost us a massive £60,000. Also he was top scorer in Division 1 3 years running, one of them jointly with George Best. Matt Busby said he was possibly the best centre forward in Europe at the time.

Wrong. 
it was 55000 and 2 years running, the second joint with Best

10 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I refuse to believe that there are actual Saints fans who believe that Eriksen on a free transfer would be a bad deal...

It’s really fucking strange, isn’t it. 

Some are so invested in ‘the Southampton way’ bollox, that anyone over the age of 28 is practically seen as on their death bed. 

I genuinely think that some believe that unless you’re Young and hungry, you won’t improve us. When in recent years, those who we signed that were young and hungry , ended up being total shite (Djenepo, as an example). 

Eriksen is a proven PL player with bags of ability. He’d improve nearly all 20 teams in the league… which is why he won’t come here, not a chance. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I refuse to believe that there are actual Saints fans who believe that Eriksen on a free transfer would be a bad deal...

Pointless discussion cos he won’t be coming to us, it’s a big club or Brentford. 

1 hour ago, Dman said:

It’s really fucking strange, isn’t it. 

Some are so invested in ‘the Southampton way’ bollox, that anyone over the age of 28 is practically seen as on their death bed. 

I genuinely think that some believe that unless you’re Young and hungry, you won’t improve us. When in recent years, those who we signed that were young and hungry , ended up being total shite (Djenepo, as an example). 

Eriksen is a proven PL player with bags of ability. He’d improve nearly all 20 teams in the league… which is why he won’t come here, not a chance. 

People will suck up any old shit fed to them by the club. Remember all the nonense about needing a left and right footed centre back, despite the fact that some of the best centre back partnerships of all time have both had the same stronger foot. 🤣

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

People will suck up any old shit fed to them by the club. Remember all the nonense about needing a left and right footed centre back, despite the fact that some of the best centre back partnerships of all time have both had the same stronger foot. 🤣

Oh yeah, that was a weird few years. The very first thing I remember hearing about that was when we signed Jos Hoovield and it was stated as major importance that he was left footed so played on the left of a pair. Then every club, pundit and fan was talking that system up for a few years and now it's gone away again.

25 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

A more #Saintsy Villa move would be to go for Carney Chukwuemeka if he doesn’t sign a new deal.  (I think he will, though).

Even more Saintsy would be Marvelous Nakamba, nobody would be able to bitch about another sub standard signing,  because we would have signed someone who is, literally, Marvelous!

I'll get me coat 

32 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

A more #Saintsy Villa move would be to go for Carney Chukwuemeka if he doesn’t sign a new deal.  (I think he will, though).

Mystified by the hype around this bloke. Whenever I've seen him he just strolls around like he's a big deal and plays a few simple sideways passes. Can't or won't break into a sprint, or put his body on the line in a challenge. 

I don't see anything special there.