Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

7 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I said on the other thread about this, he’s on £120K a week and two years on his contract. He also turns 30 in July. If a loan is available at half wages then it would be appealing, otherwise it’s unlikely I’d have thought.

Like you plan. This is the way to treat fellow Prem sides. Don't ever give any of them an easy `out'. If they don't rate one of their own players, then drive the hardest of bargains not offer a nice big fee and pay all the wages. Who else is paying him £120k a week. Offer buttons and let them eat a large chunk of his wages.

• Like 2

70 for James would be too much for us to turn down. But we'd be in massive trouble letting him go. We haven't needed so many first teamers replacing, since the harrowing summer of 2014. Right now, we are on a knife edge. Easierly one of the poorest clubs in the league. 

I wouldn't trust us to reinvest well, but I look forward to a couple signings shoving those words back down my throat. Hopeful, nothing else. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Think a loan would be a real masterstroke, protects us against a potential serious injury and gets us a 10-goal striker stopgap. £5m loan fee might prick up a few ears.

Maybe, but definitely only as a one year loan. Villa can keep the risk for year two. Saints are run by such wallies they will probably buy him back and he does his ACL again first game. Villa need to move him on and I don’t think Brighton would buy him so let’s play hardball. He only wanted to stay for one contract, loan might help both parties but let’s be professional about it unlike the fuck ups with Theo, Long etc. Professional football club and club interests very much first please, it’s not a social club for Crocker, Ralph and Semmens. 

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Christian Eriksen released by Brentford we can but dream 

I was surprised to see you say that, but it looks like there’s a bit more to it than Brentford “released” him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61762107

I thought Brentford had already got him for next season, will be a loss to them if they don’t. Some google searches say the likes of Man U and Spurs are interested so can understand why he’s keeping options open.

5 hours ago, UpweySaint said:

Fair point. 'Loyalty' in football is a funny concept and gets banded about a lot without much real consideration. Either way I hope our aftercare has improved from those days - football is ultimately a business but I think most of our want our club to try to demonstrate good values where possible.

It hasn’t.

20 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Absolute nonsense this argument that Long 'is great for the dressing room' or 'good to have his experience around'. Hes a striker paid to put the ball in the net and has been woefully bad at doing that ever since Koeman left. He doesnt deserve an extension, didnt deserve one last time either. Could have done with getting his wages off the books.

We already have Walcott, McCarthy and Stephens, all seemingly good for the dressing room, but not good enough for the pitch. Absolutely baffling from Ralph and we're going to trust his judgement when deciding on transfer targets 🤦🏽‍♂️

You are simply amplifying talking points that are irrelevant. Long is a good squad player. End of. Go give your negative vibes elsewhere 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

Good grief. “ Not especially good”

Well hes not, why would we would we want his 100k plus wages for his crap goals to game ratio when he didn't want to stick stick around in the first place . Thought we would be looking towards the future. Not the pass.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DT said:

I think he’ll go and it’s just about the price. And spending some of that before it gets out (or risk inflated prices). Reckon he’ll go to Spurs. 70m isn’t enough. But will be around that. If they throw in Winks or offer something silly plus Winks it’s all over. 

I hope we don't take Winks in part exchange for JWP because he is not what we need and Levy will just use him in any deal to rip us off.

Edited by Teddeer

10 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I wouldn’t have Ings back because he’s 30 and not especially good. Single figures for Villa, including a couple of pens.

Not especially good? Give your head a wobble son, 12 months ago he was our best striker by a country mile. What’s changed?

• Like 3

What we all dream will happen at Saints this summer

* Ward-Prowse stays and commits to staying at Saints for the rest of his career. He opts to reject the offer to stay away on holiday late at the end of the summer as he is desparate to train and improve himself further. He achieves all of these aims becoming an even better set piece taker and a complete midfield maestro.

* We sign a hungry top notch young striker who has scored about 20 goals in 10 appearances last season.

* We sign two quality centre backs - one an experienced international at the peak of his career with huge experience in the Champions League, who leaves a major top club because he is hungry for a fresh challenge with a club where success is not guaranteed. He commits to doing all he can to transform that club (Saints) into one of the top teams in the world. The second centre back signing is another up-and-coming high qulaity young central defender with all the characteristics of VVD at that gae, but even more.

* We also sign a quality defensive midfielder or two who will compete with Romeu and provide cover for JWP. He/they will be so good that they quickly displace Romeu.

* We sign two high quality wingers who have amazing ability to dribble the ball, amazing ability at tracking back to support the defence, amazing shooting ability and more.

* Bazuna turns out to be one of the best up-and-coming young goalies around but meanwhile we also sign either Nick Pope or Henderson.

* All of our signings are made for £80million

* We sell Walcott and a couple of other unwanted players for £30million

* Long opts to retire and become a coach. In the following season he proves himself to be a brilliant coach and leads the under 18s to glory which inspires the whole of the club to success.

What will really happen for Saints in this summer's transfer window & beyond

* We sign Bazuna and he regularly sits on the bench for Saints. When he does eventually play for us in the Carabao Cup he makes a load of mistakes and we are knocked out by Pompey.

* We sign Long on a five year extension and Walcott commits to sharing a flat with him having been also given an extension to his contract.

* Ward-Prowse leaves Saints for £15million and signs for Spurs. We sign Harry Winks to replce him at the bargain price of £30million.

* Ricky Lambert comes out of retirement to play as striker for Saints.

* We pay Liverpool £20 million to sign their up and coming 12 year old right back who is halfway back to fitness after suffering a ruptured ACL two years ago.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, wild-saint said:

Not especially good? Give your head a wobble son, 12 months ago he was our best striker by a country mile. What’s changed?

As I saw it he knew his days were limited due to his injury problems and wanted a last retirement move . Viila changed managers and Steve G didn't play him much . I don't think Saints would take him back now , esp after the Walcott mistake . Ings did well at Saints and I didn't want him to go but he made his choice and he can sit tight for 2 seasons to collect his money .

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Perhaps we should all just shut up and not have any opinions or thoughts on anything eh?

Be a right laugh that would eh? 🙄

Nobody saying that, you sensitive soul. Just pointing out that the lad has to want to go, but all the keyboard managers on here think it as easy as.

• Like 1

O'Brien/Garner would be good options to add to our midfield and I believe United want another look at Garner, so O'Brien may be the more obtainable. Full of energy, always hassling the ball and very good on the ball himself. £12m would be a bargain, Leeds are usually linked with him, so would have to depend on if he wants to come south.

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

About six years ago on my FIFA career mode my front three was Nathan Redmond, Connor Wickham and Demarai Gray - all “world class 85-90 rated - maybe just an indication that sometimes games get it wrong. 😅

That’s nothing Jamal Lacelles and Jack Stephens were part of my champions league winning Harrogate Town back 4 on the 2011 version. Just goes to show with good management what is possible 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Remain keen? What does this even mean? If we want to sign him, won't we just put in a bid? If we don't, we won't? This kind of story feels agent placed. If it was during the season and we continually sent scouts to watch him, it would make sense. It ain't, so it doesn't.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wild-saint said:

Actually 12 months ago he wasn't. 18 months ago I would completely agree. Bu the fall of in form and goalscoring in 2021 was alarming (covid and other factors). I was all for keeping him, but in hindsight I think we did well to offload him when we did. 7 goals in 30 apps for Villa suggests this drop off was not temporary, he really struggled to make an impact at Villa, hence why they are happy to move him on now. I like Danny Ings, and he was great for us for a couple of years but he is well past his best I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

Also, the player has got to want the transfer. Too many FM players on here.

Players turn down transfers on FM all the time because they don't want the transfer. Messi for example would not even enter contract discussions with Pompey for example, even if a bid was accepted by PSG.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Players turn down transfers on FM all the time because they don't want the transfer. Messi for example would not even enter contract discussions with Pompey for example, even if a bid was accepted by PSG.

If we're talking about FM, why on earth is Redmond my top scorer with 20 goals and worth £45-56m? He's unrealistically too good, I might have to tweak it!

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we're talking about FM, why on earth is Redmond my top scorer with 20 goals and worth £45-56m? He's unrealistically too good, I might have to tweak it!

MLG has always overrated our players, makes it more fun for us to be fair. 

12 hours ago, Teddeer said:

I hope we don't take Winks in part exchange for JWP because he is not what we need and Levy will just use him in any deal to rip us off.

We "oldies" remember (with sadness) Martin Chivers' move to Tottenham (in 1967) for a then British record £125,000 (sounded good at the time)

Chivers later became " their 1960's Harry Kane ", but Saints didn't prosper from the deal, as we got ..Frank Saul (Spurs valuation was £45,000)

and his goal-scoring record was abysmal.   Spurs came away with a big smile on their faces. 

(Ted Bates later stated that the Chivers' deal was the only one he ever regretted, but the offer was too good to refuse).

Fortunately,  we had the young Channon coming on and he partnered well with Ron Davies in the seasons that followed.

A prospective deal for JWP - with that club - shouldn't include a "swap" with any of their bench players, least of all Harry Winks. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

What we all dream will happen at Saints this summer

* Ward-Prowse stays and commits to staying at Saints for the rest of his career. He opts to reject the offer to stay away on holiday late at the end of the summer as he is desparate to train and improve himself further. He achieves all of these aims becoming an even better set piece taker and a complete midfield maestro.

* We sign a hungry top notch young striker who has scored about 20 goals in 10 appearances last season.

* We sign two quality centre backs - one an experienced international at the peak of his career with huge experience in the Champions League, who leaves a major top club because he is hungry for a fresh challenge with a club where success is not guaranteed. He commits to doing all he can to transform that club (Saints) into one of the top teams in the world. The second centre back signing is another up-and-coming high qulaity young central defender with all the characteristics of VVD at that gae, but even more.

* We also sign a quality defensive midfielder or two who will compete with Romeu and provide cover for JWP. He/they will be so good that they quickly displace Romeu.

* We sign two high quality wingers who have amazing ability to dribble the ball, amazing ability at tracking back to support the defence, amazing shooting ability and more.

* Bazuna turns out to be one of the best up-and-coming young goalies around but meanwhile we also sign either Nick Pope or Henderson.

* All of our signings are made for £80million

* We sell Walcott and a couple of other unwanted players for £30million

* Long opts to retire and become a coach. In the following season he proves himself to be a brilliant coach and leads the under 18s to glory which inspires the whole of the club to success.

What will really happen for Saints in this summer's transfer window & beyond

* We sign Bazuna and he regularly sits on the bench for Saints. When he does eventually play for us in the Carabao Cup he makes a load of mistakes and we are knocked out by Pompey.

* We sign Long on a five year extension and Walcott commits to sharing a flat with him having been also given an extension to his contract.

* Ward-Prowse leaves Saints for £15million and signs for Spurs. We sign Harry Winks to replce him at the bargain price of £30million.

* Ricky Lambert comes out of retirement to play as striker for Saints.

* We pay Liverpool £20 million to sign their up and coming 12 year old right back who is halfway back to fitness after suffering a ruptured ACL two years ago.

i'd take the SRL bit!

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Incorrect. The algorithms that humans control and influence make that happen via computer software. It's a game, which reflects real life based on certain opinions and data supplied to it by humans who may just have their own opinions and influences. You very sad man. And yes I'm aware you work/worked in this arena of gaming. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

55 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

We "oldies" remember (with sadness) Martin Chivers' move to Tottenham (in 1967) for a then British record £125,000 (sounded good at the time)

Chivers later became " their 1960's Harry Kane ", but Saints didn't prosper from the deal, as we got ..Frank Saul (Spurs valuation was £45,000)

and his goal-scoring record was abysmal.   Spurs came away with a big smile on their faces. 

(Ted Bates later stated that the Chivers' deal was the only one he ever regretted, but the offer was too good to refuse).

Fortunately,  we had the young Channon coming on and he partnered well with Ron Davies in the seasons that followed.

A prospective deal for JWP - with that club - shouldn't include a "swap" with any of their bench players, least of all Harry Winks. 

Yes, I am one of the oldies who remembers that deal! Ron Davies will always be one of my all time favourites. He scored a lot of goals for us many of which were superb especially headers from the supply of Paine and Sydenham - some of my fondest memories are from visits to the Dell in those days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

It should be a firmly established principle at Saints, part of the corporate DNA if you like, that we don’t sell or negotiate with North London yobbos.

Perhaps call it Rupert’sLaw, after one of his finest outbursts

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DT said:

Funny feeling Danny Ings will end up at Brighton and bang in lots of goals for them. Not sure he'd want to come back. Have we signed the Man City keeper Bazunu yet? Hope so

On reading it I thought of Bournemouth as a likely destination 

18 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Here's his YouTube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVI2z586hpU

It looks like he is two-footed which is plus point. I know videos are not the greatest for really assessing a player's abilities but in these moments at least he seems to be fairly focussed on what matters from a defender - defending. In that regard he could be a big step up from Salisu who sometimes goes walkabout and forgets that priority!

Also, it looks like he has played 5 times for the Bayern first team, butwas on loan last season at Hoffenheim. Check out his wikipedia details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Richards_(soccer)

This fella looks good but wouldn’t fit into Ralph’s square pass/back pass tactics unfortunately…

Mind you Ralph is an excellent coach apparently and would soon bring him into line as he has done with many players now! 

13 hours ago, wild-saint said:

12 months ago? not so much.

If you take away his 19/20 season which was fantastic, his record in his other 3 most recent PL seasons is 31 goals 83, considering there were a few pens in there as well, take them away and he's not scoring at a much more regular rate than Che Adams is. 

Che Adams who I am pretty sure scored more open play goals than Ings last year in the same amount of games.

He was good but lets not get revisionist, he had one very good season and has had 3 ok ones around it, he's now 30, still not great on the injury front and on a high wage, not seeing why we would want him back desperately. 

18 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

12 months ago? not so much.

If you take away his 19/20 season which was fantastic, his record in his other 3 most recent PL seasons is 31 goals 83, considering there were a few pens in there as well, take them away and he's not scoring at a much more regular rate than Che Adams is. 

Che Adams who I am pretty sure scored more open play goals than Ings last year in the same amount of games.

He was good but lets not get revisionist, he had one very good season and has had 3 ok ones around it, he's now 30, still not great on the injury front and on a high wage, not seeing why we would want him back desperately. 

Ings was struggling to get through 90 mins before he left us so getting him at £15m plus (which I suspect will be the asking price) then it's not worth it.  Better getting Liam Delap on loan from City.