Dele Alli

Saint Scott

11 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Had we negotiated with Levy for that deal, we'd owe them £20M and they'd have had Salisu off us.

Lets calm down and see how he does at the dugouts. I think it would have been a massive risk, one that I'm pleased we didn't take. 

I'm going to guess he will start well, couple of goals and then get back to how he has performed recently at Spurs in a matter of weeks, especially if Everton keep performing shite.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I see that Alli and Lampard's first league game is away at Newcastle so a perfect time for a bit of new-manager bounce and new-lease-of-life player to shine.

I cant wait to see Frank Lampards Everton take on Steve Gerrards Villa side. The pre-match spectacle of watching do great for their clubs whilst fail for England over and over again will be something else.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I cant wait to see Frank Lampards Everton take on Steve Gerrards Villa side. The pre-match spectacle of watching do great for their clubs whilst fail for England over and over again will be something else.

I know it's non-Saints related but the biggest travesty of those two dominating the England midfield was Paul Scholes being overlooked

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I know it's non-Saints related but the biggest travesty of those two dominating the England midfield was Paul Scholes being overlooked

He retired though, so removing himself from the argument in 2004. Was daft shifting him to the left in the first place mind.

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

The debate around who should go forward wouldn’t have happened if scholes was in the side.

At the risk of taking the thread  completely off track, Sven tried to fit the players he had to a pre-defined formation.  Any half-decent manager would have adjusted his formation to put the best players in the team - probably using wing-backs and a midfield three of lampard, gerrard and scholes.  

Back in 1966 Sir Alf gave up on wingers in the group stages and went for a midfield diamond with overlapping full backs because that worked best with the players he had.  We all know how that turned out

3 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

At the risk of taking the thread  completely off track, Sven tried to fit the players he had to a pre-defined formation.  Any half-decent manager would have adjusted his formation to put the best players in the team - probably using wing-backs and a midfield three of lampard, gerrard and scholes.  

Back in 1966 Sir Alf gave up on wingers in the group stages and went for a midfield diamond with overlapping full backs because that worked best with the players he had.  We all know how that turned out

arguably Capello was even worse, the performances under him were embarassing at time. 2010 world cup was awful, coming second in the group only winning one game and then being served up be Germany with a performance that showed how far behind we were the top European teams. People slag off Southgate but compared to these superstar managers he's done an amazing job.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Significantly to blame for Newcastle's second goal. Doesn't look very fit and basically no defensive work ethic on show.

He was dire for Everton tonight. Totally anonymous. I know it's a big ask for anyone to come into a team that has been performing so badly and look good but he didn't make any kind of mark at all.

Early days but I'm glad we didn't go all in for him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He was dire for Everton tonight. Totally anonymous. I know it's a big ask for anyone to come into a team that has been performing so badly and look good but he didn't make any kind of mark at all.

Early days but I'm glad we didn't go all in for him. 

You're not wrong, but I'm sure he'll have the game of his life against us at St Mary's next week 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

Looks to have totally lost his way, sad really. 

Sad would have been realising that he'd totally lost his way, while we were paying his wages.

While playing for another club in a relegation scrap with them paying his wages? A bit less. 🙂

I hope his dreadful performances continue and that he's in their starting XI every week, rather than admiring their famous dugouts from a seat in one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Sad would have been realising that he'd totally lost his way, while we were paying his wages.

While playing for another club in a relegation scrap with them paying his wages? A bit less. 🙂

I hope his dreadful performances continue and that he's in their starting XI every week, rather than admiring their famous dugouts from a seat in one.

Your a hard man Homes & Watson!  Sad in a sense a silly young bloke who has lost his way and possibly hasn't realised how short a professional football career is. Yes he will be extremely wealthy, ya di ya di ya, but that doesn't compensate for lost opportunities.  

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What point were you making that caused you so much mirth? Couldn't see it myself.

Alli had a very poor game in his Everton debut, so much so that one Everton fan made a comparison to another player with a very similar name, whose one and only appearance for Saints was so bad it has become the stuff of legend - and not just among our own fans it seems.

59 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Are we going to be assessing his every game for Everton now? 

Not, but it's not unreasonable to expect people to comment on this thread after his first game since his move.

I watch Everton a lot these days due to the family connection, and it will be interesting to see just how well he does so I can make my own mind up whether or not the reservations people had about him potentially signing for us were justified.

I saw nothing in his performance last night to suggest my concerns about his work rate and thus his suitability to fit into our system were unwarranted, but time will tell I guess.