Dele Alli

Saint Scott

On 27/01/2022 at 12:07, Charlie Wayman said:

Old Nick's obviously long forgotten when he was a young man in his twenties. Most do not stay at home at nights assembling Airfix kits or jigsaw puzzles.

I havent forgotten those days Charlie, but from a young age it was instilled in me BBP ( business before pleasure)

I worked very hard and also played hard but not to the detriment of my long term prospects. Delli seems to me to have enjoyed the trappings a bot more than he should.

He can have his cake and eat it but he is eating too much cake and that is slowing his future down 

• Like 1

Seems to me he was a good player, then had a succession of managers who expect hard work and long distance covered, and he didn't have the attitude/application to work with that. Ralph is going to work him harder than any of his previous managers, so I can't imagine he'd be a good fit.

If we are interested, maybe the plan is to borrow Dele for 6 months and, if he shines, it helps all parties. We get a great player for a few months; Spurs get a more saleable asset; Dele gets a move to a bigger side he fancies. If it doesn't come off, he goes back to the Spurs bench or to whoever they can palm him off to and we have no obligation to keep him. And, regardless, we then move on to Tino Anjorin in the summer, which is the way that particular deal is heading. 

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, igsey said:

Seems to me he was a good player, then had a succession of managers who expect hard work and long distance covered, and he didn't have the attitude/application to work with that. Ralph is going to work him harder than any of his previous managers, so I can't imagine he'd be a good fit.

That doesn't really hold up as he was at his best when working with Pochettino, who expects all of those things.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

Nobody knows why his performances have dropped at Spurs, he could be deeply unhappy there. He is a decent player and absolutely good enough for us and at 25 I’m sure he still has a lot he wants to prove. Those saying he’s “lazy” “Shit” “Bad attitude” etc etc are clueless and deluded. 

Edited by Dorchester Saint
  • Like 3

Just now, Dorchester Saint said:

Nobody knows why his performances have dropped at Spurs, he could be deeply unhappy there. He is a decent player and absolutely good enough for us and at 25 I’m sure he still has a lot he wants to prove. Those saying he’s “lazy” “Shit” etc etc are deluded. 

Mourinho effect I think. He has that impact on players, he'll come into a club and pick on a certain individual and then cut them out of the team. Sometimes they recover, yet other times they have to move on. He did similar to Shaw and it took him a few years to get back to where he was after some tlc from Ole.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Nobody knows why his performances have dropped at Spurs, he could be deeply unhappy there. He is a decent player and absolutely good enough for us and at 25 I’m sure he still has a lot he wants to prove. Those saying he’s “lazy” “Shit” “Bad attitude” etc etc are clueless and deluded. 

I think he could be a great option for us.

Would add Romeu and Bertrand were great for us in a similar situation and I reckon Ali is at that stage in his career too.

Win, win!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

The main objection to his signing would be the opportunity cost, as we could do something different with the money and/or squad spot.

There's only a day to go and no sign of others ready to come. if Delle feels welcome and loved he could well recover the form he has shown before. Mourinho has a lot to answer for with several players.

14 minutes ago, Dellman said:

There's only a day to go and no sign of others ready to come. if Delle feels welcome and loved he could well recover the form he has shown before. Mourinho has a lot to answer for with several players.

Exactly and KWP was our best player last season.

PS Mourinho is becoming dated and so out of touch with the game. How on earth are teams paying him.

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Where do we think he’s going to go?

Who else is linked?

Everton were sniffing, they're looking at Loftus-Cheek too. Obviously Newcastle, given that he's got legs they're sniffing.

There's certainly not been any 'solid' rumours though, no genuine links from club sources/local journos etc. I'm fairly sure he'll go somewhere by Monday....which makes you wonder if someone is doing a great job of keeping it under wraps.

Edited by S-Clarke

21 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Why's everyone blaming Mourinho? I think his man management and methods are outdated and no longer work, but Alli's form dropped off under Pochettino, which is the main worry.

was all of Spurs form, After the champs final the players stopped playing for poch, Delli was still pretty good, Jose kicked him out of the team ( He always does it to one player at every club he goes too ) and Alli wanted to join poch at PSG but Levy said no, hes been rubbish since...

• Haha 1

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Press reports say that he won't go to Newcastle as he wants a 'bigger,' club, others that Lampard has told the Everton board that he wants Alli as his first signing should he agree to take over at Goodison.

On paper he’s an Everton signing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Wonder if Brighton might go for him on loan.

Barber is pally with Levy, they pose no real threat to Spurs hopes of top 4 and their style might suit him well.

Everton only have one loan available and supposedly are after VdB.

Edited by Dusic

On 28/01/2022 at 11:05, igsey said:

Wrong - he was dropped under Poch when he became billy big b****ks and his form nosedived

9 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I know they’re not specifically the same position, but wonder if them signing Kulesevski means Alli will be leaving today / tomorrow. I’d definitely take him on a risk free loan. 

It would be a multi million pound deal to get him on loan for even half a season. So it isn't really 'risk free'.

The finances of this deal aren't our problem if it goes ahead. All I care about is we are strengthening the one position we are perhaps a bit weak in (quality wise if not numbers), by bringing in a former England International who isn't even at the peak of his career, who has previously shown he can score goals and get assists. In a World Cup year when he'll want to impress. 

Would I prefer, say, Barkley or Loftus-Cheek (as in unwanted attacking midfield players from big clubs)? Possibly but Dele has something to offer, even if he hasn't shown it of late.

And if he's crap? In 6 months he's gone and we are no worse off for it. We aren't going down, we aren't hitting Europe so it's not going to cost us anything in terms of Premier League competition. 

Plus, we'd get featured on Deadline day heavily (well he's a "big" name in the media) which will make work less boring tomorrow evening. 😁

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

No idea if this guy knows anything but he did tweet something similar about Adam Armstrong the day before he signed...

Screenshot_20220130-174706.png

I doubt even one person in Southampton knows what Harry Hickford looks like, let alone numerous 😆

With Spurs likely to get shot of Gil and N'Dombele I wonder if they may keep Alli now.

Sounds like a quiet window for us despite Ralph seeming confident of a signing or two earlier in Jan, although there isnt an obvious need for anything that can't wait til summer.

Edited by Dusic
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This was a slightly odd one, wasn’t it?

Do you assume he meant Anjorin? 

Looking back in hindsight then Anjorin seems to fit the bill most out of any players we have been linked with.

If, as seems, our interest in him is genuine then can only assume Chelses want to see how he does in the Championship before deciding they are happy to sell him permanently.

Bit wary of Everton now they have Lampard as he knows these kind of players better than anyone and their squad needs some younger additions.

---------

As an aside LOL at MLG for virtually copying my post onto Twitter. Most of his content on there comes from other people's stuff here. Shameless that lad.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Looking back in hindsight then Anjorin seems to fit the bill most out of any players we have been linked with.

If, as seems, our interest in him is genuine then can only assume Chelses want to see how he does in the Championship before deciding they are happy to sell him permanently.

Bit wary of Everton now they have Lampard as he knows these kind of players better than anyone and their squad needs some younger additions.

---------

As an aside LOL at MLG for virtually copying my post onto Twitter. Most of his content on there comes from other people's stuff here. Shameless that lad.

Imitation is the best form…. Etc…. 😂.

Think you’re right on Anjorin.  I’m not entirely sure why we didn’t get it over the line.  If he turns into KdB for Hudds his price goes sky-high — if he disappoints, do we want him then?

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Imitation is the best form…. Etc…. 😂.

Think you’re right on Anjorin.  I’m not entirely sure why we didn’t get it over the line.  If he turns into KdB for Hudds his price goes sky-high — if he disappoints, do we want him then?

I reckon Chelsea are looking at the Emile Smith-Rowe situation, very similar. He was on loan abroad, didn't really happen - funnily enough, we were sniffing around him as well and he went to Huddersfield and ripped it up. And he pretty much never looked back and Arsenal now have a really good player who is the first name on their team sheet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I reckon Chelsea are looking at the Emile Smith-Rowe situation, very similar. He was on loan abroad, didn't really happen - funnily enough, we were sniffing around him as well and he went to Huddersfield and ripped it up. And he pretty much never looked back and Arsenal now have a really good player who is the first name on their team sheet.

Good shout, Clarkester.  Hudds are doing ok & we can keep an eye on fellow Southern-lad Levi Colwill just incase we need to fast track a Salisu replacement. 

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

I doubt even one person in Southampton knows what Harry Hickford looks like, let alone numerous 😆

With Spurs likely to get shot of Gil and N'Dombele I wonder if they may keep Alli now.

Sounds like a quiet window for us despite Ralph seeming confident of a signing or two earlier in Jan, although there isnt an obvious need for anything that can't wait til summer.

But they have broguht in Bentacaur and Kulusevski....and they wanted rid of Alli before those 4 transfers...

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

This doesn't seem like a signing we would make. It would be pretty cool but unlikely imo. 

honestly, i would rather a transfer, but a loan is fine... ofc if he can find his hunger again which he might playing with KWP and working with Ralph, it can only be a good thing. He was good once, no reason why he cant be again with hard work and dedication.