Russia

whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Did they decide what land Ukraine should give up?

Dunno, I wasn’t there when they spoke. Macon can’t decide anything, he can just suggest a possible solution. If he can find a middle ground that can be agreed upon then great.

10 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Dunno, I wasn’t there when they spoke. Macon can’t decide anything, he can just suggest a possible solution. If he can find a middle ground that can be agreed upon then great.

Agree.  France Germany, UK and the USA will want this over sooner rather than later.  We can't keep ploughing in 10s of billions of £ every few months, let alone the other effects of the war on society/cost of living

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Agree.  France Germany, UK and the USA will want this over sooner rather than later.  We can't keep ploughing in 10s of billions of £ every few months, let alone the other effects of the war on society/cost of living

Of course everyone wants the war to be over, but it’ll be finished on Ukraine’s terms.

The USA putting $40B in with bipartisan support, in addition to $9B that was already available, shows that they’re not going to leave Ukraine high and dry.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think that's what Putin is counting on. soft westerners having to go without a holiday because energy/fuel prices are so high.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

Of course everyone wants the war to be over, but it’ll be finished on Ukraine’s terms.

The USA putting $40B in with bipartisan support, in addition to $9B that was already available, shows that they’re not going to leave Ukraine high and dry.

The USA putting in 40billion is a bit misleading given how the lend lease works if I think but feel free to tell me I am talking bollocks.

Basically it’s 40bn that has to be spent on American equipment from American arms manufacturers I believe? So it is basically the American government indirectly subsidising their own arms industry to produce arms for Ukraine which of course has massive benefits for the American defence industry as well.

27 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

The USA putting in 40billion is a bit misleading given how the lend lease works if I think but feel free to tell me I am talking bollocks.

Basically it’s 40bn that has to be spent on American equipment from American arms manufacturers I believe? So it is basically the American government indirectly subsidising their own arms industry to produce arms for Ukraine which of course has massive benefits for the American defence industry as well.

The lend-lease bill is something separate that was already signed to make it easier to lend or lease existing military stock to Ukraine. In effect anything provided with that will returned to the USA if possible.

The $40B is a separate aid package that will in effect be a donation to Ukraine. It was prevented from being fast-track ratified by a single US Sentator, Rand Paul, objecting, but it has bipartisan support and will easily be approved by the US Senate once it's fully debated.

EDIT: You're correct in that it'll be US produced arms that are sent, but that's the entire point, to arm the Ukraine Army with more/better weapons than they have. The dollar value is just there to simplify the decision on whether it's approved or not.

• Like 1

Huge announcement from McDonalds today that it will cease trading in Russia for good.  Very symbolic as McDonalds was one of the first Western brands to appear in the USSR when it started to become less insular and is iconic in marking the end of the Cold War.  Hopefully it will start to raise more questions with the Russian population who might start to question the current narrative - although I'm sure Moscow will spin it and say they were 'kicked out'....

7 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

How full scale invasion started. : ukraine (reddit.com)

I think this video more than any other I've seen so far has made it hit home just what Russia has destroyed.

Going from something that seems so mundane and normal in an instant... have to admit it's easy to lose sight of that a bit when for weeks Ukraine has only been seen as a battlefield.

Blimey. Can't imagine how it must have felt to have been driving, hearing that siren, and then seeing and seeing and hearing that. All of a sudden your nightmare becomes a reality, and you probably realise that life will never be the same again. Awful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is hardly secret, it has been discussed for weeks. Those countries most dependant on Russian gas have been looking for a way that somehow bridges between the EU sanctions, where they currently cannot fully wean themselves off those supplies, and Putin's demands for payment in Roubles, which they cannot do. It is a fudge, but one that is in the short to medium term necessary.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-14/eu-drafts-plan-for-buying-russian-gas-without-breaking-sanctions

31 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

That's the most realistic assessment of the situation I've seen yet from the Russian side.

I don't think the same realism is there in the people that can actually make a difference yet, but hopefully the tide is starting to turn there.

Just this appearing on State TV is surprising, it'll be telling over the next few days whether Khodarenok is allowed to continue speaking out.

6 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

That's the most realistic assessment of the situation I've seen yet from the Russian side.

I don't think the same realism is there in the people that can actually make a difference yet, but hopefully the tide is starting to turn there.

Just this appearing on State TV is surprising, it'll be telling over the next few days whether Khodarenok is allowed to continue speaking out.

Or survives until the weekend without a 'mystery' illness.

12 hours ago, egg said:

Blimey. Can't imagine how it must have felt to have been driving, hearing that siren, and then seeing and seeing and hearing that. All of a sudden your nightmare becomes a reality, and you probably realise that life will never be the same again. Awful. 

The siren has just been added on for effect, but doesn't take away the reality of what's happening and about to follow.

8 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

Novosti is one of the main online Russian news sites. All comments there are moderated in advance and I registered there about two months ago. At first even the most oblique of posts with slightly ambiguous meanings were not posted and I got banned for 48 hours. Now they are allowing most fact based posts, even if critical.

Even TASS seems to have gone slightly subversive  - they still publish Government disinformation, but they quite often will leave up an old story which contradicts the new one. Seems like that is more than coincidence or incompetence. Something is definitely going on.    

Edited by buctootim

11 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Is he the only Russian military figure with any sense? I suppose it's a blessing that people with his acumen aren't involved in any decision making.

Host Skabeeva looked as though she'd just been dumped by a boyfriend.

7 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Khodarenok has probably already had the invitation for a strange tasting cup of tea with uncle Vlad.

I posted before about this daily Russian blog I follow. This is the one from this morning, about political dissidents - who as far as Putin is concerned are everybody and anybody from the good Colonel to Nemtsov, Navalny, the Skripals, oligarchs and journalists 

"It must be understood that Russian President Vladimir Putin considers almost all political prisoners in Russia to be his hostages and regards them, on the one hand, as an "exchange fund", and on the other hand, he uses repressions against political prisoners as a way to get even with the West. Putin is really sure that all independent political opponents of the current Russian government are not independent figures and are under the supervision of foreign, more often Western, intelligence services. Without exception, reports to Vladimir Putin regarding political opponents of the authorities in Russia point to the dependence of any non-systemic opposition in Russia on "Western partners" who manipulate them in their own interests. This is, of course, complete nonsense, but the authors of the reports, mostly from the security forces, are well aware of Putin's mood and needs and give him what he wants to see and hear, despite the obvious inconsistency of what is presented with reality. Putin really believes that any political or public figure in Russia who disagrees with the policies pursued by his regime is a traitor who was "bought" by Western intelligence services. In his sick perception of the world, repression against political opponents is a blow to the positions of the West.

The new term and the announced transfer of Alexei Navalny to a strict regime colony is, in Putin's understanding, a kind of response to the West to personal sanctions against him and his entourage. Considering Navalny his number one hostage, Putin, unable to exchange him for something significant, simply mocks Alexei by tightening the conditions for his detention. Moreover, restrictions in the form of possible sanctions if something happens to Navalny in custody have been practically lifted, all heavy sanctions have already been introduced for the invasion of Ukraine, and now there is a real threat to Alexei's life. Recently, Putin has been increasingly referring to Alexei Navalny in conversations with his entourage, calling him "an extra figure" in a political crisis. We are confident that the attention of information resources and civil society to the fate of Alexei with the expression of his position will help him save his life and health. This also applies to the position towards all, without exception, political prisoners who are held hostage by the regime. The implementation of the demand to release political prisoners is the most important step towards the destruction of the Punin regime."

Edited by buctootim

10 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

I know how you feel Brian...

No one thinks Russia is doing this without reasons for doing it.

Suggesting that Russia's actions are justified is still a ridiculous and blinkered position to take.

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

No one thinks Russia is doing this without reasons for doing it.

Suggesting that Russia's actions are justified is still a ridiculous and blinkered position to take.

Exactly. Hitler had reasons for invading Poland.

That Eno video is a bit of a ramble. Nobody was 'surprised' when the Russians crossed the border, but the implication that Ukraine presented a threat that somehow provoked and perhaps justifies the invasion is twisting things beyond breaking point.

Come on Jonny, explain what Ukraine did to threaten Putin such that it warranted the Special Military Operation.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Confused 1

Didn't really get the point of Eno's ramble, the video is nearly 6 weeks old though, still, more up to date than much of Johnnybots offerings. I think many people who have educated themselves about the Russia/Ukraine relationship during the war , to whatever degree, have not changed their view and roundly condemn Russia's actions. I've yet to hear one convincing argument that justifies Russia's brutal assault on an independent country, which incedentally was deliberate from the start and not a result of a mission creep situation. Yeah blame the Nazi's, oh no , NATO, that's it NATO are out to get us. Grow up.                

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The US Senate just passed the $40B Ukraine Aid bill 86 votes to 11, only requires the formality of being signed by the president now.

That'll be a significant help in helping Ukraine as it attempts to liberate Russian occupied territory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

The US Senate just passed the $40B Ukraine Aid bill 86 votes to 11, only requires the formality of being signed by the president now.

That'll be a significant help in helping Ukraine as it attempts to liberate Russian occupied territory.

I’m sure the Russians will be ecstatic at the thought of facing armed Ukrainians with $40bn of top end US hardware behind them.

It’s unlikely to make a difference for a couple of months though due to training and logistics.

A lot of sources I have read mention a July/August tipping point for Russia anyway - their losses by that point will be so significant that I don’t think any spin will be enough.

I don't think the US will be sending a lot of their best stuff, still a couple of hundred more M777 artillery pieces would be welcome, these are mostly mothballed in US warehouses anyway so might as well ship them. They out-range the Russian guns and Ukrainians certainly know how to use this equipment. The conflict seems to be moving more towards artillery exchanges with drone scouting.

This type of behaviour will be good for Russian morale, old news I know :

If I were Zelenskiy I'd just refuse to negotiate with Putin from now on. I'd tell him his army will soon collapse anyway and he'll be left with nothing, so there really is nothing to be gained through dialogue. It may be optimistic but I'd just tell Putin to enjoy his last 6 months as president before they hang him from a lamp post.

31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If I were Zelenskiy I'd just refuse to negotiate with Putin from now on. I'd tell him his army will soon collapse anyway and he'll be left with nothing, so there really is nothing to be gained through dialogue. It may be optimistic but I'd just tell Putin to enjoy his last 6 months as president before they hang him from a lamp post.

Upside down ?

It seems our brave ex Colonel from the live Russian TV debate has altered his stance somewhat, now saying on TV that Ukraine can't counterattack the Russians (all is well etc). I wonder how long it took the FSB to knock at his door after the first debate.

37 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

More or less the case.

Peace Talks Are Suspended, Russia and Ukraine Say (wsj.com)

17 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

See Wimbledon has been stripped of all ranking points for their discriminatory ban on players. Wonder will there be a spate of dropouts now.

Wimbledon is bigger than the international federations. It survived the boycott in 1973 and it I’ll survive this.