Russia

whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Well... they've tried at least. It's not completely over Zelensky's head as they've come up with proposals and then taken them to Zelensky. He unsurprisingly turned them down.

Macron is still a bit of a bellend for trying to surrender on someone else's behalf.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Well... they've tried at least. It's not completely over Zelensky's head as they've come up with proposals and then taken them to Zelensky. He unsurprisingly turned them down.

Macron is still a bit of a bellend for trying to surrender on someone else's behalf.

As I've echoed previously, the French don't change do they? Macron really is a preening sniveling wanker, even by French standards. Remember France is one of only two European country to have nukes, the western tip of the NATO nuclear deterrent. Zalensky should have sent him back to Moscow with Ukraines terms of the Russian surrender!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Typical, the one year we actually have a decent Eurovision entry.

To be fair the same reasons that Ukraine has done well have probably helped the UK somewhat this year...

Second to Ukraine is the best I'd have wanted us to do this year I think (and the best we could have done!) Would have felt awkward almost if we'd pushed Ukraine into second place? 😅

Anything that annoys Putin and will be noticed by the Russian public is a win for all of us in my book.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Anything that annoys Putin and will be noticed by the Russian public is a win for all of us in my book.

Russian TV is just Lavrov in front of a camera saying;

”12 points from Greece goes to… Russia!”

”12 points from Italy goes to… Russia!”

”30 points from Ukraine goes to… Russia!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The problem is they are aren't just doing that. It should not be upto leaders of other countries to agree to hand over Ukrainian land to an aggressor like Russia. 

The leader of France can't hand over Ukrainian land to anyone, he's just trying to get the two countries to stop fighting. The US were also in talks with Russia with the same aim. The more talking the better even if it is in vain.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aintforever said:

The leader of France can't hand over Ukrainian land to anyone, he's just trying to get the two countries to stop fighting. The US were also in talks with Russia with the same aim. The more talking the better even if it is in vain.

Talks aren't going to ultimately this as long as Putin is in power as he'd be back in months or years. The Russians can't be trusted to honour any peace deal. This only ends when Putin leaves power and isn't replaced by a follower of his ideas. It may take a coup to do it or the West supporting Ukraine long enough for them to push the Russians out in a war of attrition. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Talks aren't going to ultimately this as long as Putin is in power as he'd be back in months or years. The Russians can't be trusted to honor any peace deal. This only ends when Putin leaves power and isn't replaced by a  follower of his ideas. It may take a coup to do it or the West supporting Ukraine long enough forthem to push thr Russians out in a war of attrition. 

Sooner or later it will end with the two countries talking and agreeing some sort of cease-fire. Ukraine have every right to fight for all their land including the Crimea but it may come to a point where they think it's better to come to an agreement to avoid years of bloodshed. Whatever happens, having leaders from around the world talking to Putin and trying to find a solution has to be a positive.

• Like 1

Sooner or later it will end with the two countries talking and agreeing some sort of cease-fire. Ukraine have every right to fight for all their land including the Crimea but it may come to a point where they think it's better to come to an agreement to avoid years of bloodshed. Whatever happens, having leaders from around the world talking to Putin and trying to find a solution has to be a positive because a war of attrition v Russia is not a great prospect.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

In talking to Macron and Scholz,Putin might actually find out how the war is going:

Putin - "That is all well and good but we will never return Cherniyiv, it is now Russian"

Macron - " You don't have Cherniyiv"

Putin - "Oh !", turns aside to an aide "Get Sergei Shoigu here as soon as I put the phone down". He then returns to the call "OK, but Odessa will never be returned, we are having a referendum and it will vote to stay Russian".

Macron - "Actually you haven't got beyond Kherson". Putin again turns to his aide " And find the commander of the Baltic Fleet".

Putin to Macron - "Well tell Zelensky that if his army won't concede the route through to Transnistra we will bombard the shit out them with our missile cruiser Moskva".

Macron - "Well, Vladimir, there may be a slight problem with that.....,"

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Sooner or later it will end with the two countries talking and agreeing some sort of cease-fire. Ukraine have every right to fight for all their land including the Crimea but it may come to a point where they think it's better to come to an agreement to avoid years of bloodshed. Whatever happens, having leaders from around the world talking to Putin and trying to find a solution has to be a positive because a war of attrition v Russia is not a great prospect.

What, so Russia can build a nice starting base to launch their next wave of bloodshed in a few years? Russia is the one who will suffer from attrition, NATO can easily out-supply Ukraine with far superior weapons. Plus, Ukraine can (and needs to) go all in on this hand, they don’t have any other borders to worry about and protect. Russia now has a 1,300km border with Finland to worry about on top of B-52s sneaking over Alaska, whatever China are up to and everything else. 

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

What, so Russia can build a nice starting base to launch their next wave of bloodshed in a few years? Russia is the one who will suffer from attrition, NATO can easily out-supply Ukraine with far superior weapons. Plus, Ukraine can (and needs to) go all in on this hand, they don’t have any other borders to worry about and protect. Russia now has a 1,300km border with Finland to worry about on top of B-52s sneaking over Alaska, whatever China are up to and everything else. 

True, It will be great for NATO to weaken Russia and a brilliant for our arms industry to showcase their kit but a lengthy war of attrition would be devastating for the people of Ukraine. The Ukraine forces are doing well but I’m not sure they will be able to push the Russians all the way back and out of Crimea. Plus Putin seems to be the type of guy who would rather drop a nuke on Kiev than lose the war.

Hopefully Ukraine can do enough damage to trigger the Russians to get rid of Putin, that’s the best they can hope for IMO.

13 minutes ago, aintforever said:

True, It will be great for NATO to weaken Russia and a brilliant for our arms industry to showcase their kit but a lengthy war of attrition would be devastating for the people of Ukraine. The Ukraine forces are doing well but I’m not sure they will be able to push the Russians all the way back and out of Crimea. Plus Putin seems to be the type of guy who would rather drop a nuke on Kiev than lose the war.

Hopefully Ukraine can do enough damage to trigger the Russians to get rid of Putin, that’s the best they can hope for IMO.

Ukraine don't have to "push the Russians out", only damage them so badly that, along with sanctions, they can be persuaded that withdrawal is an option.

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

Ukraine don't have to "push the Russians out", only damage them so badly that, along with sanctions, they can be persuaded that withdrawal is an option.

Or just batter them to the point there is an open revolt against the government by the military. The more Russia has to scrape together conscripts and mercenaries, arming them with increasingly obsolete equipment, the worse the casualties will become.

aint - Putin might want to launch a nuke but he’d need the military to do it. At that point he is effectively telling them we have half an hour until I turn all of our families into radio-active ash. 

I think at the moment both sides "terms" for a settlement would be completely incompatible with each other. Russia want the Donbas and the southern land corridor as well as continued control of Crimea, which is totally unacceptable to Ukraine, who want all their land back. There's no middle ground here it seems. Add in the behaviour of the Russian army in this war which has fuelled a burning hatred that will last for generations. As for getting rid of Putin, hopefully God may intervene soon, but his replacement could be another Soviet nutter. I think if Ukraine keep going the Russian army could collapse completely, there's numerous stories of Russian soldiers refusing orders or turning on their commanders, and Putin has openly criticised his soldiers recently.

44 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

True, but Putin values the lives of his troops so little I can't see that happening for a long, long while. If Ukraine want to send their young men and women into the meat grinder for years to come that is up to them but I can see there being some sort of agreement reached.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

True, but Putin values the lives of his troops so little I can't see that happening for a long, long while. If Ukraine want to send their young men and women into the meat grinder for years to come that is up to them but I can see there being some sort of agreement reached.

Russia’s trouble there is that, between Russia breaking their agreement not to invade if Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons, and Russia’s constant misinformation before and during this war, Russia’s word in any agreement is essentially worthless.

Giving up anything to restore peace, and hoping Russia will be satisfied with it, is essentially just handing something over to Russia for nothing.

At this point Russia don’t have Odessa, and it’s almost guaranteed they would break any agreement in the future if they thought they could take it.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

At this point Russia don’t have Odessa, and it’s almost guaranteed they would break any agreement in the future if they thought they could take it.

True, but that is also true regardless of where the border between the two countries ends up after this conflict.

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

There was a good interview on Sky with the Head of Ukrainian Military intelligence. He basically said they could already see the beginnings of Ukrainian victory, that Russia would start to be in retreat by late August and that the fighting will be over Christmas.

Once a tipping point is reached you could see a rapid collpase. If Russia didnt have nukes we could potentially be looking at a situation where Ukraine was annexing parts of Russia. Unless the west loses its nerve, withdraws the weapons supply and forces Ukraine to settle for a bad deal (lead by Scholz and Macron) I reckon Ukraine will take back Donbass and settle for some kind of international deal on access through Azov Sea.     

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, aintforever said:

True, but that is also true regardless of where the border between the two countries ends up after this conflict.

Any agreement that Russia would accept would likely include Ukraine disarming, a pledge for Ukraine to not join NATO, and if Macron got his way, recognition of at the very least, Crimea as Russian, as well as the territory they’ve already taken.

All Ukraine would get is Russia stopping their attack now and agreeing to peace… until Russia comes up with a story about Ukraine breaking the agreement, or carrying out some other atrocity, and Russia being forced to “ensure their security.”

It’s likely that Ukraine’s security and peace can be best secured by defeating Russia militarily, such that Russia lose the capability of invading effectively and retreat unilaterally. That then leaves Ukraine free to increase their military capability and enter security agreements to make any future invasion cost Russia far too much.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Well yes, that’s the point. Ukraine has nothing to gain by ceding any territory to Russia, so why agree to any proposed Russian borders? There is no guarantee of any future peace, quite the opposite and any civilians who fall under this new area of Russian rule will likely suffer a desperate economic black hole, poverty, rape and a total violation of freedom. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Well yes, that’s the point. Ukraine has nothing to gain by ceding any territory to Russia

Except for potentially thousand less dead people and blown up buildings. Obviously if they are kicking Russia’s ass and think taking back the whole lot is achievable they won’t want to settle for anything less, it’s call only they can make.

17 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Jonnyboy will be along soon to explain how Finland and Sweden joining NATO is further evidence of western aggressive expansionism.

More than likely a cut and paste link to an article written by a disgruntled anti-western "historian" trying to plug another tedious book.

14 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Except for potentially thousand less dead people and blown up buildings. Obviously if they are kicking Russia’s ass and think taking back the whole lot is achievable they won’t want to settle for anything less, it’s call only they can make.

For a few years, until they launch their next assault, and as I’ve already said the territory they do occupy will be anything but safe for the Ukrainians who live there. Who knows how many women will be rated and undesirables executed. Just because you aren’t fighting, doesn’t mean you’re safe.

21 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Wwtbamnov21Celebrx5 GIF by Stellify Media

Exactly!

Chamberlain went to meet Hitler knowing that he could not be trusted,but also that Britain was in no fit state to try to stand up to him, so he bought some time and when he returned to the UK immediately ordered a huge increase in defence spending. At the time of Munich the RAF had less than 1 squadron of Spitfires operational.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2013/09/neville-chamberlain-was-right-to-cede-czechoslovakia-to-adolf-hitler-seventy-five-years-ago-the-british-prime-signed-the-munich-pact.html

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

For a few years, until they launch their next assault, and as I’ve already said the territory they do occupy will be anything but safe for the Ukrainians who live there. Who knows how many women will be rated and undesirables executed. Just because you aren’t fighting, doesn’t mean you’re safe.

I don’t disagree, wether they settle for anything obviously depends on the situation on the ground and how costly re-taking the whole country will be, if it is achievable at all. Taking territory is a lot harder than defending.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Do you now disagree with your earlier statement that Macron was right to negotiate on their behalf?

9 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Do you now disagree with your earlier statement that Macron was right to negotiate on their behalf?

I know you aren’t asking me but Macron is such a vain politician. Shame France didn’t have a credible alternative to defeat him as still far preferable to Le Pen. You just know he thinks he has a special relationship with Putin but just being played.

19 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

No, the more talking the better. Only Ukraine can decide what’s best for them, if a leader from another country can help find a solution they agree with then great.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aintforever said:

No, the more talking the better. Only Ukraine can decide what’s best for them, if a leader from another country can help find a solution they agree with then great.

So when Ukrainians say no, you will follow the narrative that Putin wanted peace but Ukraine weren’t willing to negotiate. Exactly what he would like

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, aintforever said:

If only Ukraine can decide what's best for them, surely the rest of the 'talking' is just vanity projects from people looking to make headlines?

Didn't this happen at the same time as Zelensky said he would talk, but to Putin personally?  

Edited by Weston Super Saint

I remember after the start of the conflict Zalensky publicly offered to meet Putin, saying something like "sit down with me, what is it you want?". He was ignored as Putin thought he was going to win easily. Move on a few weeks and both parties now have no room for manoeuvre, despite Macrons attempts to portray himself as a later day Kissinger (after sending a significant amount of lethal aid to kill Russians). The only chance for any kind of peace is if Russia withdraw all it's forces from Ukraine and cease aerial bombardments from Russia. Even then Ukraine won't have gained anything it didn't already have on Feb 23rd, and the country is shattered.

7 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

If only Ukraine can decide what's best for them, surely the rest of the 'talking' is just vanity projects from people looking to make headlines?

Didn't this happen at the same time as Zelensky said he would talk, but to Putin personally?  

Plenty of other countries have been talking to Putin, the US were talking to Russia in the last couple of days. 

Edited by aintforever