whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

From a BBC article;

"While one TV talk show host didn’t speculate on Ukraine’s claims that it had struck the ship, a clearly emotional studio guest - film director and ex-MP Vladimir Bortko - said the fate of the Moskva was grounds for war. "

It is reported that the Kremlin has issued an order that anything in Ukraine that cannot be captured by Victory Day ( May 9th ) should be destroyed.

I saw that clip, it came across that they seem to almost be blaming Russian failures on it not being a war, that they’re not currently using everything they have.

8 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

A group of investigative journalists have tracked down the Russian soldier and his wife who were heard in an intercepted telephone call where she told him to "go and rape some Ukrainian chicks".

She's obviously getting ploughed in the meantime.

9 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

A group of investigative journalists have tracked down the Russian soldier and his wife who were heard in an intercepted telephone call where she told him to "go and rape some Ukrainian chicks".

Russian offshoot of the Duckhunters no doubt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/04/2022 at 08:29, whelk said:

Smiled at term war boner but interested in your view on actually sending weapons to Ukraine. Do you think Ukrainians should’ve just surrendered?

Also lol at you calling the Russians "communists," the last 35 years they have been more like a wild west capitalist dictatorship.

I would have preferred that the conflict never happened in the first place. By the sounds of it, the Ukrainians already have kit better than the Russians. Of course they are entitled to defend themselves, just as we would if invaders attacked Southampton. 

I'd happily see Putin locked up in the Hague for his crimes not least to his own soldiers who, if Western propaganda is to be believed, have been fed into a meat grinder. 

https://i.imgur.com/Q7BLaum_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Interesting map of languages spoken in Ukraine. 

I'm just interested in the years of propaganda on both sides leading up to war. I'm fully aware that any videos or links I share might become from a pro-Kremlin source but both sides are just as bad for that. 

http://thegrayzone.com/2021/02/20/reuters-bbc-uk-foreign-office-russian-media/

I don't regard Ukraine as "our doorstep" but some do, perhaps the results of our time in the EU despite Ukraine never being in the EU or NATO. The majority of the population speak Russian or a form of Russian. We have no cultural of historical ties to the country. Looking at all the suffering now some sort of referendum (a promise Zelensky was actually elected on in 2019) for autonomy for Donbass and Donetsk might have been a lot better? 

Imagine another scenario, Russia negotiating with the SNP to bring Scotland into a military alliance with the Russian federation. Russian troops and bases Inc nukes potentially being placed in Scotland. I think NATO might get quite aggressive here. 

Without a quick peace deal there will be years and years of misery for that country. Hopefully for them, any weapons that western corporations have sold aren't at extortionate interest rates. Thank God we haven't sold Zelensky any nukes as I think he is as likely as anyone to want to use them. Still, at least we have plenty of Chinese-made Ukrainian flags fluttering around the place. Just my rambling two pennies from happily safe Southampton. 

Edited by Jonnyboy
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

Also lol at you calling the Russians "communists," the last 35 years they have been more like a wild west capitalist dictatorship.

I would have preferred that the conflict never happened in the first place. By the sounds of it, the Ukrainians already have kit better than the Russians. Of course they are entitled to defend themselves, just as we would if invaders attacked Southampton. 

I'd happily see Putin locked up in the Hague for his crimes not least to his own soldiers who, if Western propaganda is to be believed, have been fed into a meat grinder. 

I'm just interested in the years of propaganda on both sides leading up to war. I'm fully aware that any videos or links I share might become from a pro-Kremlin source but both sides are just as bad for that. 

I don't regard Ukraine as "our doorstep" but some do, perhaps the results of our time in the EU despite Ukraine never being in the EU or NATO. The majority of the population speak Russian or a form of Russian. We have no cultural of historical ties to the country. Looking at all the suffering now some sort of referendum (a promise Zelensky was actually elected on in 2019) for autonomy for Donbass and Donetsk might have been a lot better? 

Imagine another scenario, Russia negotiating with the SNP to bring Scotland into a military alliance with the Russian federation. Russian troops and bases Inc nukes potentially being placed in Scotland. I think NATO might get quite aggressive here. 

Without a quick peace deal there will be years and years of misery for that country. Hopefully for them, any weapons that western corporations have sold aren't at extortionate interest rates. Thank God we haven't sold Zelensky any nukes as I think he is as likely as anyone to want to use them. Still, at least we have plenty of Chinese-made Ukrainian flags fluttering around the place. Just my rambling two pennies from happily safe Southampton. 

Russia has no need of Scotland, they already have London. There’s no chance they’d nuke that because they own most of it already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

"Of course they are entitled to defend themselves, just as we would if invaders attacked Southampton. 

Hm, I'm on the fence tbf. I'll make my mind up when I see who is attacking😂  

Edited by buctootim
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

Things are a lot more nuanced than that map would suggest. Firstly Surzyhk isn't a 'true' language, its a hybrid blend of Ukrainian and Russian - like Franglais. It evolved to enable two different language groups to communicate with each other. Even in the East where more 'pure' Russian is spoken it contains a lot of Ukrainian words and uniquely Ukrainian pronounciations of Russian words. My Russian which was good enough to order in restaurants and shops in Kyiv is unintelligible to my Russian friend in Omsk. Secondly that map was in 2009, things have a changed a lot since then. Ukrainian national identity and use of the pure language has become much more widespread.   

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Looks like Russia can’t sustain some of the capital controls they bought in to prop up the rouble, and as they’re starting to be relaxed the rouble is starting to lose value again.

They tried whacking up the interest rate to 20% but that meant no-one could afford credit to buy anything and it smacked of panic and alarm  - so purchases stopped overnight. Then they tried to force EU to pay in roubles - creating demand for rubles and pushing the rate up, but EU wouldnt play ball. Then they tried to force Russian companies to swap foreign exchange received from sales into rubles - but that has just meant they aren't able to buy components or raw materials for future production. Shame really 😅  

3 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

The potential for a referendum in Donetsk and Luhansk was actually just that, a phrase whereby Zelensky said he might not be opposed to some sort of vote to decide the area's future, possibly a national poll. This was said in an effort to revive 'peace' talks with Russia over the region -an area that Russia was deliberately de-stabilising by funding and arming an insurgency. ( Russia did not even recognise the result of the rigged votes that were gerrymandered by the self-declared republics in 2014 ).

3 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

Just because people speak Russian doesn’t mean they want to be part of Russia, it just happens to be their native tongue. I would have thought this was obvious after watching towns a stones throw from the border putting up such a fight.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Just because people speak Russian doesn’t mean they want to be part of Russia, it just happens to be their native tongue. I would have thought this was obvious after watching towns a stones throw from the border putting up such a fight.

Plenty of people speak English but don’t necessarily want to be British.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Ok, you're going to have to explain that one.

Bayraktars is the type of Ukrainian drone that buzzed the Moscow cruiser before the missiles hit. Russian troops are famous for looting, with photos of them even strapping white goods to the tanks. The joke is that they distracted the Russians from the missiles by dangling a washing machine in front of them.....  

Edited by buctootim
  • Haha 1

On 17/04/2022 at 13:44, buctootim said:

Things are a lot more nuanced than that map would suggest. Firstly Surzyhk isn't a 'true' language, its a hybrid blend of Ukrainian and Russian - like Franglais. It evolved to enable two different language groups to communicate with each other. Even in the East where more 'pure' Russian is spoken it contains a lot of Ukrainian words and uniquely Ukrainian pronounciations of Russian words. My Russian which was good enough to order in restaurants and shops in Kyiv is unintelligible to my Russian friend in Omsk. Secondly that map was in 2009, things have a changed a lot since then. Ukrainian national identity and use of the pure language has become much more widespread.   

But isn't it true that since 2014 the Ukrainian nationalists have been cracking down on Russian speaking and destroying Russian historic monumemts etc in the East of the country? (and worse of course). 

Another analogy would be the Welsh deciding they were the superior member of the UK and wiping out the English language where ever possible... 

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

But isn't it true that since 2014 the Ukrainian nationalists have been cracking down on Russian speaking and destroying Russian historic monumemts etc in the East of the country? (and worse of course). 

No. It's true that after the invasion of 2014 there was a big upswing in Ukrainian patriotism and identity and there have been moves to mainstream use of Ukrainian in public life and schools but the languages share maybe 70% of their words and most people still speak Russian in some form. Removal of 'Russian' monuments and statues is actually about Soviet communist monuments.      

• Like 1

I see Zelensky (estimated wealth £$500m) released criminal soldiers of the Tornado batallion back into the fray. 8 of whom were doing time for torture and rape. 

Charming bunch who would like to create a Christian Taliban to destroy Russia. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-crisis-battalions-special-rep-idUSKCN0Q30YT20150729

So many examples of far right violence in Ukraine prior to the war. Azov battalion seems to be just the tip of the iceberg https://newcoldwar.org/arrests-in-ukraine-over-the-murder-of-journalist-oles-buzina/

• Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

I see Zelensky (estimated wealth £$500m) released criminal soldiers of the Tornado batallion back into the fray. 8 of whom were doing time for torture and rape. 

Charming bunch who would like to create a Christian Taliban to destroy Russia. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-crisis-battalions-special-rep-idUSKCN0Q30YT20150729

So many examples of far right violence in Ukraine prior to the war. Azov battalion seems to be just the tip of the iceberg https://newcoldwar.org/arrests-in-ukraine-over-the-murder-of-journalist-oles-buzina/

All seven years out of date Johnny. I think you're struggling to keep up with pace of change there has been in Ukraine since 2014. 

19 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

In the 2019 Ukrainian election the far right alliance won 2.19% of the vote. Let me put that in context for you…

67AD3E46-EBAB-4A15-BD8A-D75734E51767.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

All seven years out of date Johnny. I think you're struggling to keep up with pace of change there has been in Ukraine since 2014. 

I never had Jonnyboy pegged as a Putin shill.

Life is full of unexpected twists and turns.

• Haha 1

Ukraine wants to buy 200 Marder infantry fighting vehicles from Germany since early March.

Germany has given dozens of ridiculous excuses, why it is impossible to sell these Marder.

Germany has now offered to sell these 200 Marder to Greece for €100 million.

41 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ukraine wants to buy 200 Marder infantry fighting vehicles from Germany since early March.

Germany has given dozens of ridiculous excuses, why it is impossible to sell these Marder.

Germany has now offered to sell these 200 Marder to Greece for €100 million.

The Germans seem all over the place - finding it hard to accept bringing people into the big tent by trade and engagement has failed. 

28 minutes ago, whelk said:

Can’t even believe there is any debate on whether Russians can compete at Wimbledon. Glad they are banning the cunts.

Yep, and do it across all sports with none of this competing under a neutral or different flag nonsense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Can’t even believe there is any debate on whether Russians can compete at Wimbledon. Glad they are banning the cunts.

Why are you tarring Russian tennis players with the actions of Putin? It is not a tennis player's fault their country went to war. So why have you branded them as 'cunts'?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why are you tarring Russian tennis players with the actions of Putin? It is not a tennis player's fault their country went to war. So why have you branded them as 'cunts'?

Collateral damage pal. Putin loves celebrating sporting success so fuck him.  Most Russians supporting the invasion as well so fuck them too. 
Bet Medvedev hasn’t said anything to denounce either. 

Not the Russian footballers fault either so perhaps you think they should be allowed at the World Cup?

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Can you fuck of back to the duck tape thread please. One interminably pendantic dull and circular thread is enough

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, whelk said:

Not the Russian footballers fault either so perhaps you think they should be allowed at the World Cup?

A team sport is different. The football team are representing the country, wearing national colours and the flag.

Tennis players are representing themselves. Unless they publicly state they support the war then a ban is unfair.

Plus you labelled them as 'cunts'!

What is the justification to label a tennis player a 'cunt' just because the leader of their country is one?

Edited by Matthew Le God

All Russians are ( currently ) 'cunts' in the way all Germans ( between 1939 and 1945 ) were Nazis.

Alternatively, the Ukrainians call the Russians 'orcs', Russia is 'Mordor', and Putin is 'Sauron'.

Edited by badgerx16

40 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

South Africa was banned from international representation during Apartheid and it had a unique impact on national pride and respect.

Banning Russian sportsmen from all events is the correct decision.

19 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

A team sport is different. The football team are representing the country, wearing national colours and the flag.

Tennis players are representing themselves. Unless they publicly state they support the war then a ban is unfair.

Plus you labelled them as 'cunts'!

What is the justification to label a tennis player a 'cunt' just because the leader of their country is one?

I don’t justify my language to a tiresome tedious pedant. If Andy Murray wins the country celebrates. Those cunts should have nothing to celebrate.

11 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

South Africa was banned from international representation during Apartheid and it had a unique impact on national pride and respect.

Banning Russian sportsmen from all events is the correct decision.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Was every single South African tennis player a 'cunt' like @whelk labelled every Russian tennis player?

Edited by Matthew Le God

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Was every single South African tennis player a 'cunt' like @whelk labelled them?

It was not a wrong… The team sport argument is also rubbish. Look at these two examples in the last month. 

Russian gymnast- classy 

Russian carter doing nazi salute

AF2D4C74-F4D3-4778-BA70-9AE5B2DB0CF9.png

D2D63B8F-F087-4033-A703-C3D2BC055240.jpeg

You cannot allow sportspeople an international platform to do this.

Edited by farawaysaint

So MLG is saying we shouldn't ban Russian athletes and we shouldn't have banned Apartheid era athletes because "two wrongs don't make a right".

Atheists are quite delightful, aint they?

Edited by CB Fry

6 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

It was not a wrong… The team sport argument is also rubbish. Look at these two examples in the last month. 

Russian gymnast- classy 

Russian carter doing nazi salute

AF2D4C74-F4D3-4778-BA70-9AE5B2DB0CF9.png

D2D63B8F-F087-4033-A703-C3D2BC055240.jpeg

You cannot allow sportspeople an international platform to do this.

That is a deeply flawed argument. Those two you picture deserve the label 'cunt', but is ridiculous to do a sweeping generalisation and label every Russian sportsperson as one and ban them all.

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So MLG is saying we shouldn't ban Russian athletes and we shouldn't have banned Apartheid era athletes because "two wrongs don't make a right".

Atheists are quite delightful, aint they?

Why have you brought atheism into it? This has nothing at all to do with atheism.

Sweeping generalisations based on nationality and blanket bans are not a good thing.

If a South African publicly came out in support of Apartheid or a Russian comes out in support of the war then a ban can be justified. But to ban someone for something they have no fault in causing is ridiculous. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is a deeply flawed argument. Those two you picture deserve the label 'cunt', but is ridiculous to do a sweeping generalisation and label every Russian sportsperson as one and ban them all.

There is a very small sample size of Russians winning things in the last month.

I never mentioned your comment on them being cunts merely that giving a platform to any Russian sportsperson individual or team at the moment is wrong.

Sidenote I was born in apartheid South Africa and if I am telling you that banning some of the greatest sportsmen we have ever produced is a good idea I may know more about it than you.

• Like 2