Russia

whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

11 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

As for Elwoods reported plan, WTF? The Ukrainians do not need more tanks, the Russians have generously donated dozens as their troops have fled a battle.

I heard yesterday that the Ukrainians have put in place a very effective recovery and repair system where they triage captured Russian equipment; the first group has simply been abandoned and just needs re-arming and refuelling, the next group need repairs, and the third group become the donors. What is left is for scrap metal merchants.

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

I heard yesterday that the Ukrainians have put in place a very effective recovery and repair system where they triage captured Russian equipment; the first group has simply been abandoned and just needs re-arming and refuelling, the next group need repairs, and the third group become the donors. What is left is for scrap metal merchants.

I don't doubt it, also the Russian stuff is very familiar to the Ukrainians, no "what happens if I press this" scenerios!

1 minute ago, kyle04 said:

I don't doubt it, also the Russian stuff is very familiar to the Ukrainians, no "what happens if I press this" scenerios!

I wonder if somebody somewhere has done a count of the stuff retreived by Ukrainian farmers.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Don’t be silly, that’s a Ukrainian sunflower. Spring must have arrived.

There is no way I would go to war in a T-72. The arrangement of the ammunition for the auto-loader means that just about any penetration of the hull will lead to a cataclysmic detonation that launches the turret.

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

A Russian lollypop ?

spacer.png

A lot of Russian tanks have been obliterated, not just knocked out. The Ukrainians know where to aim (you beat me to it badger), the fuel tanks and ammo carousel make the Soviet stuff a death trap (Tommy cookers as the German desert panzer crews used to refer to the British tanks in North Africa).The video I linked earlier (AZOV in Mariupol), they were using a 30mm auto cannon only, pounding away until the armour gave way and the ammo cache ignited. there is a part translation of the dialogue - " ...aaaaand, it's gone" as the tank exploded. Don't want to glorify the horror of it, but these guys were about as cool as you could be considering the firefight.

I think many Ukrainian farmers will be moving into the scrap metal business soon!

Looks like the Japanese don't get the Guardian in their neck of the woods.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-60857346

But in the last few weeks one Japanese politician has started suggesting otherwise. He is Shinzo Abe, Japan's longest serving post-war prime minister. Mr Abe has begun saying loudly and publicly that Japan should, indeed, think seriously and urgently about nuclear weapons.

13 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Looks like the Japanese don't get the Guardian in their neck of the woods.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-60857346

Given that they are not only facing up to China and North Korea, but antagonism with Russia over the Kuriles is increasing, ( and technically still fighting WW2 because of the islands ), they may be feeling that an overtly pacifist constitution needs to be reviewed.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Not really. He isn’t going to be there forever and once he goes we have a golden opportunity to re look at the whole strategy. As before, it’s all very well for us under the NATO umbrella to sit back with the we’re all right Jack attitude, but it does nothing for the security of non NATO countries.

As for MAD, it has been deemed a successful strategy so far because there has been no war between the major power blocks. What it it has nothing to do with MAD and all to do with the fact that there has been no reason for the major powers to go to war so far? If you haven’t, read the Guardian article. You probably won’t agree with it but it does make valid points.

Is that the one by David P Baras, the author of numerous books and hundreds of papers on the ideology of peace, a conscientious objector and notable member of CND?

Is that the Soggy equivalent of someone quoting from Tommy Robinson's book and claiming it to be a well reasoned, sensible read?

From snippets I have read the "Foreign Legion" fighting for Ukraine includes a full battalion of Americans operating alongside another full battalion of Canadians, there are upwards of 600 Swedish fighters, several Danes and Finns, and even a member of the Latvian Parliament.

3 hours ago, whelk said:

Well worth listening to this chap

and one for SOG “Putin very much wants to stay alive”

I don’t doubt that he values his own life. Our problem is that he doesn’t value other lives as highly, including those of his own country folk, which is why we should be concerned about the effectiveness of The MAD strategy.

Pacifism? If it is being used as a pejorative term, honestly, what sane person would be happy for their children and grandchildren to grow up in a world where there is a threat of nuclear annihilation? You don’t have to be a “pacifist” to want to see the end of these threats every few years. There are better ways of finding national security in this day and age and it is time we let go of 20th century thinking and moved forward. Hopefully the Putin era is the wake up call we need. 

You are right Whelk, this is a good interview. What is particularly chilling is the point that Putin cannot win. What will be the cost for humankind in stopping him?

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Does anything in there disprove the given 'facts' that the laboratories were working on pathogen containment and threat reduction from potential bioweapons ? If you don't investigate how they are created and deployed, how can you counter them ?

Keep digging, Putin and Trump would be proud of you.

Edited by badgerx16

6 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Does anything in there disprove the given 'facts' that the laboratories were working on pathogen containment and threat reduction from potential bioweapons ? If you don't investigate how they are created and deployed, how can you counter them ?

Keep digging, Putin and Trump would be proud of you.

All classed as Russian dis-informarion not to long ago.

Right?

36 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

All classed as Russian dis-informarion not to long ago.

Right?

It's pure Putin propaganda and forms one part of his baseless justification for the atrocities now being enacted at his behest. Whilst I can accept the Daily Heil feels justified going after HB as he is seen as a legitimate political target for the right wing press, linking the tenuous HB story to mythical Ukrainian biological weapons is beyond where I would even expect them to go. It's SKY Australia territory.

All this BS about Biden’s comment. Reinforce’s Putin’s view that the West is full of pussies. Who cares what that cunt might view it and use it ,the evil fucker is committing genocide. Whoooah but hang on don’t say we want him out as that is different level and going too far.  Seems like a lot of the media are much happier with Biden being the enemy. Even apologising is weak. As someone posted a while back - listen to Kasparov on Putin. He needs to be stopped not walking round worried about his reactions. Why have so many become so soft?

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

Biden put his foot in it with that comment, it’ll galvanise Putin’s support at a time when we’re trying to weaken it. We all want Putin gone but the best chance of doing that is to keep quiet and let them fester. Don’t take any bait, just keep quiet and let Russians dwell on their own losses and self interests.

On 26/03/2022 at 04:37, badgerx16 said:

I wonder if somebody somewhere has done a count of the stuff retreived by Ukrainian farmers.

Someone with a lot of time on their hands has created this :

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

Considering this is only based on what has been photo'd and filmed (with all the links) a lot of equipment on both sides has been lost already. 

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, whelk said:

All this BS about Biden’s comment. Reinforce’s Putin’s view that the West is full of pussies. Who cares what that cunt might view it and use it ,the evil fucker is committing genocide. Whoooah but hang on don’t say we want him out as that is different level and going too far.  Seems like a lot of the media are much happier with Biden being the enemy. Even apologising is weak. As someone posted a while back - listen to Kasparov on Putin. He needs to be stopped not walking round worried about his reactions. Why have so many become so soft?

Couldn’t agree more. He was only saying what most of us think, including many Russians. You can’t have a pariah  on one hand and not call him out on the other. So what if it gets in the way of “diplomacy.” It really doesn’t matter if Putin uses it for propaganda, if he didn’t he would make up something else anyway. It is not our place to elect their leader, but we can have a view, and express that view, just as people did about Trump, Bush, Reagan. Fair play for Biden for calling Putin out. He has been criticised for being weaker than Trump, but at least he has the balls to say what we all are thinking unlike the idiot Donald. This is a man that, if there is any justice in the world, will be held accountable for war crimes. He is a butcher. He butchers his own people. Time to stop the BS and treat him as the person he is and stop hiding behind political niceties.

Edited by sadoldgit
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Couldn’t agree more. He was only saying what most of us think, including many Russians. You can’t have a Pyrrha on one hand and not call him out on the other. So what if it gets in the way of “diplomacy.” It really doesn’t matter if Putin uses it for propaganda, if he didn’t he would make up something else anyway. It is not our place to elect their leader, but we can have a view, and express that view, just as people did about Trump, Bush, Reagan. Fair play for Biden for calling Putin out. He has been criticised for being weaker than Trump, but at least he has the balls to say what we all are thinking unlike the idiot Donald. This is a man that, if there is any justice in the world, will be held accountable for war crimes. He is a butcher. He butchers his own people. Time to stop the BS and treat him as the person he is and stop hiding behind political niceties.

I kind of agree.  Just hope you welcome touch talk on China (I am sure you will), who are going to be an immense foe.

Screw Putin, do you think a few words here or there are going to make any difference. If he cared about other peoples opinion then the likely hood of being where we are now is remote. I am just pleased that Biden has strongly vocalized support for NATO when the last guy was undermining it. The US may pay more than others for the military commitment to NATO but its does so partially because access to a large swathe of friendly free markets is good for business.

Its funny watching the Republicans running around complaining about the president being too strong! Its really got to the heart of what the republicans became under Trump. Cant imagine that man having the balls to go against someone who could have hit back.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

Screw Putin, do you think a few words here or there are going to make any difference. If he cared about other peoples opinion then the likely hood of being where we are now is remote. I am just pleased that Biden has strongly vocalized support for NATO when the last guy was undermining it. The US may pay more than others for the military commitment to NATO but its does so partially because access to a large swathe of friendly free markets is good for business.

Its funny watching the Republicans running around complaining about the president being too strong! Its really got to the heart of what the republicans became under Trump. Cant imagine that man having the balls to go against someone who could have hit back.

It’s nothing to do with strength, it’s about the wisdom of what is actually being said and what he said wasn’t smart. Putin can use it to legitimise his actions; the narrative will be about Nato and Ukrainian Nazis working together to overthrow the Russian government and now he’s gone and implied as much with his own mouth. 

• Like 1

I don't think gives a fuck what anyone says, he is the type of apologist that will use any form of words to further his goals. Watch his actions not his words. We need to stop being pussies, because he is not going to back down just because we will not say certain things. Putin works with a logic built on different assumptions than you or I. We are acting like the kid who has to watch his words less the bully hits him. But the bully was going to do it anyway. Its A Do X, don't do x problem there is no right choice. You cant be wise or smart with words when someone does not give a fuck what you say. How is the America the bad guy in a situation for pointing out it would be good the guy who is quite happy mudering civilians, in another country so he can add its land to his own. If you come back with the US should not have done Y I will agree with you. When the US and UK have killed civilians we at least express remorse rather than do it on purpose.

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s nothing to do with strength, it’s about the wisdom of what is actually being said and what he said wasn’t smart. Putin can use it to legitimise his actions; the narrative will be about Nato and Ukrainian Nazis working together to overthrow the Russian government and now he’s gone and implied as much with his own mouth. 

I really don't think what Biden said makes any difference at all.  We're supplying military aid to Ukraine, we're giving them intelligence and we're bankrolling them.  Those things in themselves are enough for him to justify whatever he wants to, if he chooses to.  Putin is a cunt who doesn't even need a reason to invade - he just makes shit up so the idea that he'll get his knickers in a twist over some off the cuff remarks is a bit far fetched.  Only people bothered are news wonks and diplomats.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

When the US and UK have killed civilians we at least express remorse rather than do it on purpose.

Jesus christ!

The entire premise for the Iraq war was built on lies. On a more tactical level, there is countless videos, reports and even legal proceeding against 'allied' forces murdering the other side from that time.  Just one example, if you think the incidents at Abu Ghraib were accidents, then god help you!

At least we showed more empathy when doing it, eh?

Edited by AlexLaw76

59 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Jesus christ!

The entire premise for the Iraq war was built on lies. On a more tactical level, there is countless videos, reports and even legal proceeding against 'allied' forces murdering the other side from that time.  Just one example, if you think the incidents at Abu Ghraib were accidents, then god help you!

You aren’t much of a patriot are you?

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

He tries to legitimise his actions whatever. Looping some sound bite for his propaganda is neither here or there. Imagine if Biden let slip Ukraine has one Nazi? God help us then!

Jesus christ!

If you genuinely think there's any comparison between the Iraq war and whats happening in Ukraine you need a reality check. Yes some pretty shitty events occurred in Iraq and it's a point in history that the US and it's allies can take little pride in, it was broadly supported in the beginning but roundly condemned when WMD weren't found. The west wanted Saddam gone as he was destabilizing the region (Kuwait for example), and our precious oil supplies were under threat. As I recall the US did not randomly bomb cities to dust, attack refugee corridors, rape and murder Iraqi women, use cluster munitions and cruise missiles on residential buildings, nor did it lose 1/4 of it's invasion force in a month. Things did turn very ugly after the occupation because the US in particular did not understand the country or it's people and faced a draining insurgent war it did not bargain for. They genuinely tried to bring some semblance of peace and stability to the shattered country but the damage was too great and centuries old divisions in the country were let loose.

By contrast, what Russia are doing, or rather the manner of it, is systematic genocide.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

If you genuinely think there's any comparison between the Iraq war and whats happening in Ukraine you need a reality check. Yes some pretty shitty events occurred in Iraq and it's a point in history that the US and it's allies can take little pride in, it was broadly supported in the beginning but roundly condemned when WMD weren't found. The west wanted Saddam gone as he was destabilizing the region (Kuwait for example), and our precious oil supplies were under threat. As I recall the US did not randomly bomb cities to dust, attack refugee corridors, rape and murder Iraqi women, use cluster munitions and cruise missiles on residential buildings, nor did it lose 1/4 of it's invasion force in a month. Things did turn very ugly after the occupation because the US in particular did not understand the country or it's people and faced a draining insurgent war it did not bargain for. They genuinely tried to bring some semblance of peace and stability to the shattered country but the damage was too great and centuries old divisions in the country were let loose.

By contrast, what Russia are doing, or rather the manner of it, is systematic genocide.

You make valid points.  History will judge which side created the most death/destruction.  US/UK in Iraq or Russia in Ukraine. (we all know the answer is obvious)

The US (and to some extent the UK) used thermobaric weapons, cluster 'bomblets', randomly killed unarmed civilians (and PoWs) and pretty much destroyed the country in many ways, which is still being felt today.  All on the back of lies. I mean, the disappearance of David Kelly is something Putin would probably be personally proud of.

To turn what you say back at you in this conversation, you could argue that what is happening in Ukraine is part of an action where Putin/Russia pretty much want Zelensky gone, as he is (according to them) destabilising the country with the action taken against the eastern part of Ukraine. These Ukrainian bio-labs are almost a poor effort at 'WMD'.

The US and their allies did not use 1/4 of their invasion force in a month, instead they unleashed probably the greatest conventional aerial bombardment in history (shock and awe).  This was against an enemy who were incredibly low-tech'd and simply did not pose a threat to the West like we were told

Step away from Iraq a second, the US certainly have form for 'flattening' towns/cities, killing thousands of civilians in recent times... ironically, some of the worst was when Obama was in office.

Edited by AlexLaw76

Step away from Iraq a second, the US certainly have form for 'flattening' towns/cities, killing thousands of civilians in recent times... ironically, some of the worst was when Obama was in office.

And in WW2 we flattened every town and city in Germany, to such an extent that Bomber Harris ran out of targets. However, we are in the Here and Now, and for some reason you consistently try to justify the Russian invasion.

• Like 3

Even at the time, Harris' methods were considered tactically pointless and a waste of resources. The Germans did not surrender until their country was in ruins and overrun with allied forces. Even considering the vast crimes committed by the Germans during WW2 the blitz on German cities by Harris is still regarded as unnecessary and inhumane, "un-British" if you like.

So what next in Ukraine? Talks are ongoing with Zalensky willing to accept neutrality, with the caveat of security for his country. This may prove the stumbling block as any guarantees from Russia simply can no longer be trusted, certainly not with Putin still in power, and NATO are unlikely to get directly involved in this aspect. This could end up with a beefed up Ukrainian military facing a heavily Russian occupied Donbas region, with short easy supply lines. I think this is the minimum Putin would find acceptable, an easy sell to the Russian population of mission accomplished as long as 15000+ grieving mothers can be kept quiet. If Ukraine continue fighting in this scenario the war could last for years.

41 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

Even at the time, Harris' methods were considered tactically pointless and a waste of resources. The Germans did not surrender until their country was in ruins and overrun with allied forces. Even considering the vast crimes committed by the Germans during WW2 the blitz on German cities by Harris is still regarded as unnecessary and inhumane, "un-British" if you like.

So what next in Ukraine? Talks are ongoing with Zalensky willing to accept neutrality, with the caveat of security for his country. This may prove the stumbling block as any guarantees from Russia simply can no longer be trusted, certainly not with Putin still in power, and NATO are unlikely to get directly involved in this aspect. This could end up with a beefed up Ukrainian military facing a heavily Russian occupied Donbas region, with short easy supply lines. I think this is the minimum Putin would find acceptable, an easy sell to the Russian population of mission accomplished as long as 15000+ grieving mothers can be kept quiet. If Ukraine continue fighting in this scenario the war could last for years.

Bombing German cities wound up Hitler a treat. These dictators need to thrive on strength of invincibility and no propaganda could get past Hamburg burning.

As for negotiation it depresses me thinking the cunt gets any sort of reward for what he has done. I know the poor old Ukrainians need some sort of respite and peace but the more this goes on the more every one can see that Russia are very far from being invincible. Wars are v expensive as well

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

Bombing German cities wound up Hitler a treat. These dictators need to thrive on strength of invincibility and no propaganda could get past Hamburg burning.

As for negotiation it depresses me thinking the cunt gets any sort of reward for what he has done. I know the poor old Ukrainians need some sort of respite and peace but the more this goes on the more every one can see that Russia are very far from being invincible. Wars are v expensive as well

I think Hitler probably didn't give a fuck about his cities being obliterated by then, as he cowered in his bunker making imaginary moves on his map with "forces" that had long since been wiped out. (The "Downfall" film parodies on Youtube are fucking hilarious though). I agree that Putin should not get away with what he has done , but that really is up to the Russians it seems to me. We have to live alongside cunts like him, the Chinese and the Saudis, as well as the Scots. As for the expense of wars, it's eyewatering what some of this kit costs, to produce and maintain, and Russia have lost $billions worth of stuff already.

1 hour ago, kyle04 said:

I think Hitler probably didn't give a fuck about his cities being obliterated by then, as he cowered in his bunker making imaginary moves on his map with "forces" that had long since been wiped out. (The "Downfall" film parodies on Youtube are fucking hilarious though). I agree that Putin should not get away with what he has done , but that really is up to the Russians it seems to me. We have to live alongside cunts like him, the Chinese and the Saudis, as well as the Scots. As for the expense of wars, it's eyewatering what some of this kit costs, to produce and maintain, and Russia have lost $billions worth of stuff already.

Only a minority of them. When push comes to shove, most know which side their bread is buttered.

In the meantime most vote for free stuff - and I can’t blame them for that.

9 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

And in WW2 we flattened every town and city in Germany, to such an extent that Bomber Harris ran out of targets. However, we are in the Here and Now, and for some reason you consistently try to justify the Russian invasion.

No I don’t justify the invasion at all, not sure why you are making that up. I was commenting on the point that we don’t kill civilians on purpose, or when we do, we are sorry about it.  That is just not true. 

Whilst we take the moral high ground over here and say things like we don’t flatten towns/cities, we have conducted appalling actions within the last 20 years (forget WW2), in some cases worse than Ukraine. 

Edited by AlexLaw76

End game?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/russia-cut-back-operations-kyiv-ukraine-vladimir-putin-b991142.html

Russia’s military has said it will “fundamentally cut back” operations near the Ukrainian cities of Kyiv and Chernihiv “to increase trust” in talks between the two countries.

It follows fresh peace talks between Ukrainian and Russian officials in Istanbul on Tuesday aimed at securing an end to fighting on the ground.

The move appears to be the first major concession the Russians have made since the invasion of Ukraine began on February 24.

Edited by trousers

47 minutes ago, trousers said:

Given the Ukrainians have started pushing them back anyway  Russia will relocate whichever units in the North are still in best shape to Donbas to reinforce their operations there. "Drastically reduces" activity around Kyiv and Cherniyiv whilst at the same time improving their chances of achieving their #1 war aim - full assimilation of Donetsk and Luhansk.

Edited by badgerx16