Russia

whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

On 14/02/2022 at 08:53, buctootim said:

I've just got  marketing email from Ukrainian airlines. They're offering 15% off if I travel between today and end of March. I love a discount but cant help thinking I'd need more than 15% to go atm. 

Wonder if that offers still good? Got 2 weeks left to get it in!

Edited by Mystic Force

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

good to see the news protester only got a 30000 rouble fine. Fully expected her to have 15 years in the gulag

That's about the equivalent of £8.50, I fully expected her to 'disappear'. Either way, she's an incredibly brave woman.

• Like 2

Just now, cloggy saint said:

That's about the equivalent of £8.50, I fully expected her to 'disappear'. Either way, she's an incredibly brave woman.

Thats the way they operate. Hit her with a modest slap on wrist to demonstrate what a free and liberal society Russia is then when the focus on her moves on accuse her of corruption or some other crime and bang her up for 10 years. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, buctootim said:

Buying less of their stuff. The EU and US account for two thirds of their exports 

Can’t see super companies like Apple or Nike refusing to use Chinese sweatshops to build or make their latest products, profits speak louder than sanctions. That’s before we factor in the likelihood of whether the west will stop importing agricultural products, or steel as two examples.

3 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Can’t see super companies like Apple or Nike refusing to use Chinese sweatshops to build or make their latest products, profits speak louder than sanctions. That’s before we factor in the likelihood of whether the west will stop importing agricultural products, or steel as two examples.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/apple-says-it-halted-all-product-sales-russia-2022-03-01/
https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/nike-makes-online-sales-unavailable-russia-2022-03-01/

They’re already giving up a huge amount of profit.

Moving away from manufacturing centres isn’t as easy, admittedly, but I bet China won’t be thinking it's impossible.

8 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

We'd just put tariffs on, which would change the economics of importing Chinese goods.  

7 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

To tip the balance of power from the west. Its just a big game of chess.

I am as ignorant on world geopolitics as I am on Covid just like the rest in here.

It doesn't tip anything anywhere, it just harms the economies of all involved. Like Tim said, 2/3 of China's trade is with the West, they don't have to do that. Given that the Chinese government basically controls everything there, if they wanted to shut off trade and have a cold war, they'd have done it years ago.

Ukraine have a neo nazi problem. I mean, it is East Europe right? It also has two Jewish heads of state. Although they played a role in 2014, neo nazi members were not entirely instrumental in the 2014 Maidan uprising - the vast majority of (probably non nazi) participants and supporters were against the Russian puppet thug dictator Yanokovych who was their president, and a total bastard. (I wonder if he fancies the chance to try it for a fourth time?)

To simply label it a "fascist coup", is weird.

Edited by LVSaint

7 minutes ago, LVSaint said:

Ukraine have a neo nazi problem. I mean, it is East Europe right? It also has two Jewish heads of state. Although they played a role in 2014, neo nazi members were not entirely instrumental in the 2014 Maidan uprising - the vast majority of participants and supporters were against the Russian puppet thug dictator Yanokovych who was their president, and a total bastard. (I wonder if he fancies the chance to try it for a fourth time?)

To simply label it a "fascist coup", is weird.

What is really weird was the great British public distrusted the government’s covid regulations, the friends of the Tories siphoning covid testing , the utter fiasco over afghaningstan, the voting of Tory corruption, the popularity of gunboats against refugees. Yet snap it’s almost sacrilegious to point out the disinformation against the Russian rights.
i still point that eastern Ukraine is mainly populated  by ethnic Russians who don’t want to be part of Fascist Ukraine who have suffered hideous atrocities

Ukraine are by default Nazis. The Nazi puppet leader Stepan Banderas was in charge of the worst Waffen SS Galicia division.

There is a Bandera Square with a monolithic statue of the crazed leader. Every year there is a Bandera Day. Led by religious leaders, the AZOV Brigade of course and the Bandera youth. 
Many countries have fascists groups including the USA and Russia. But I fairly sure Russia have Nazi statues.

ukraine is inherently embedded with Nazism.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, manji said:

What is really weird was the great British public distrusted the government’s covid regulations, the friends of the Tories siphoning covid testing , the utter fiasco over afghaningstan, the voting of Tory corruption, the popularity of gunboats against refugees. Yet snap it’s almost sacrilegious to point out the disinformation against the Russian rights.
i still point that eastern Ukraine is mainly populated  by ethnic Russians who don’t want to be part of Fascist Ukraine who have suffered hideous atrocities

Ukraine are by default Nazis. The Nazi puppet leader Stepan Banderas was in charge of the worst Waffen SS Galicia division.

There is a Bandera Square with a monolithic statue of the crazed leader. Every year there is a Bandera Day. Led by religious leaders, the AZOV Brigade of course and the Bandera youth. 
Many countries have fascists groups including the USA and Russia. But I fairly sure Russia have Nazi statues.

Do you think Russia's actions are justified?

25 minutes ago, manji said:

Ukraine is mainly populated by Ukrainians.

1 hour ago, manji said:

I'm not sure if you're trolling or stupid...

Your original claim was:

"Ukrainian Fascists murdered 15,000 ethnic Russians in the Donbass since the fascist coup in 2014."

I asked for a source, you post a link which in no way supports your claim.

Your source suggests that c.13k people have died in the conflict, of which c.3.3k were civilians, including the unfortunte 300 passengers of Malaysia airlines flight MH17, shot down by Russians and c.4k were Ukranian combatants.

The article makes no mention whatsoever of fascists murdering anyone.

It is true that there are fascists in Ukraine, much like there are fascists in Russia and in many other countries around the world, such as England and France.

It is also true that some from the far right are involved in that conflict in Donbass.

As you seem unable to produce any evidence to support your original claim then I suggest it is a complete exageration and I think you need to be a bit more careful before spouting baseless shit that you can't back up.

There are fascists in Luton, in London and in Birmingham etc. etc. Are you suggesting that if Russia started bombing residential areas of those cities it would be justified?

30 minutes ago, manji said:

You sound like Vlad. You really believe that Ukrainians are Nazis? As you rightly point out, there are far right factions in many countries, including this one, but, frankly, to repeat Putin’s bullshit claims and his pathetic excuse for his invasion on a sovereign country is bizarre.

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, manji said:

That’s just bollocks, Ukraine has some Nazis as does Germany or Russia, but they are not in power. Their parliament has only 1% from the far right and Volodymyr Zelenskiy is a Russian-speaking centrist of Jewish origin.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, manji said:

How far back in history do want to go? It was Stalin who put ethnic Russians in eastern Ukraine in the 1950's. WW2 ended in 1945. Banderas was assissinated in 1954 (USSR - poison). If you're trying to justify Russia'a actions on the de-Nazification idealogy and an annual gathering around a statue you'll have to clarify a little further...?

36 minutes ago, manji said:

What utter bollox.

Bandera died 60 odd years ago and has got nothing to do with modern day Ukraine. We have statues of all sorts of people who have blood on their hands. By your bizarre approach, a statue of Cecil Rhodes, for example, suggests that we're inherently embedded with imperialism. 

Anyways, if the Ukrainian public choose to vote for a load of fascists it's got nothing to do with Russia and doesn't justify them smashing Ukraine to pieces. 

No properly tuned individual can justify what Putin is doing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, manji said:

Russia instigated the fighting in Donbas when the pro-Russian leadership of Ukraine was removed from power. The 'greivances' were manufactured and the 'separatists' were armed and led by Russians. As far as Ukraine is concerned it is an externally fuelled insurgency against a legitimate Government.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Russia instigated the fighting in Donbas when the pro-Russian leadership of Ukraine was removed from power. The 'greivances' were manufactured and the 'separatists' were armed and led by Russians. As far as Ukraine is concerned it is an externally fuelled insurgency against a legitimate Government.

This ^ the “separatists” consisted of a significant number of Russian military out of uniform. It’s been the Russian MO since Transnistria to subvert a region with a significant number of Russian speakers then move the military in under the guise of peace keeping.

If the same thing happens 6 times or so it is not a coincidence it is a deliberate strategy.

17 hours ago, aintforever said:

The Greens have been bleating on about dependency on fossil fuels for years, at least one good thing to come out of this war should be more investment in renewables. Trump was right in what he said but I'm pretty sure he was just trying to flog more oil and arms to Europe. I doubt he knew what his pal Putin was about to do or has any concerns over the energy security of Europe.

I think we can all understand why the Germans have not spent much on the their military given their history.

Nope.

Boris is off, cap in hand, to a country with a much, much better record of human rights so we can top up our supplies of oil on the cheap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60754163

Boris Johnson will meet leaders in Saudi Arabia later as he tries to build an "international coalition" against the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The PM will discuss securing energy supplies from the region, saying the world needed to "wean itself off" Russian oil and gas.

13 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

Not to put to fine a point on it but Ukraine was corrupt. Corruption was rife!

Not an excuse to invade however as I would bet my life savings that Russia is even more corrupt.

This kind of argument to justify invading a sovereign nation is absolutely insane.

Ukraine does have a corruption problem, institutional since the Soviet days BUT its gradually reducing and nothing like the levels of corruption in Russia. In Russia its not even corruption as we'd understand it, it starts with outright theft of state assets at the very top and cascades down to things like paying to pass university courses. You want to be a surgeon, have no experience but have money? sure no problem. You want to be a surgeon after six years of medical school but can't afford to bribe the examiners? sorry no chance.             

Edited by buctootim

For what it’s worth the ICJ at the Hague has ruled that the invasion must be immediately suspended.

Can’t see it making any difference at this point with the war crimes already being committed, but it does mean that continuing the invasion at this point has been deemed illegal.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

For what it’s worth the ICJ at the Hague has ruled that the invasion must be immediately suspended.

Can’t see it making any difference at this point with the war crimes already being committed, but it does mean that continuing the invasion at this point has been deemed illegal.

Been reading something about this just a minute ago after seeing that elderly man killed by a tank and can’t help but think does it actually matter what The Hague say? Who’s actually going to bring Putin or his men to justice? The rest of the world will continue to tip toe around him as they’re too worried about the supposed repercussions.

1 minute ago, bpsaint said:

Been reading something about this just a minute ago after seeing that elderly man killed by a tank and can’t help but think does it actually matter what The Hague say? Who’s actually going to bring Putin or his men to justice? The rest of the world will continue to tip toe around him as they’re too worried about the supposed repercussions.

They had a similar situation in South Africa where South Africa were compelled by law to arrest Bashir when he was on a state visit. Needless to say this did not happen but technically speaking all signatories will be compelled by law to arrest those convicted should they step foot on signatory territory.

It’s as much of a symbol or statement as anything else. The phrase, "convicted of war-crimes in The Hague," carries a certain gravitas and mingles you in with some fairly unpleasant company. Most Putin supporters won’t care but it might start to dawn on some normal Russians who think this is just a localised military operation.

• Like 2

If you’re wondering why there’s been some pro Russia media content from parts of the US far right, 13.11 on this timeline will give you a clue - https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/trump-news-live-republicans-launch-last-ditch-effort-to-stop-jan-6-committee-accessing-emails/ar-AAV763j?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531

The fact the Republicans have largely taken a position of condemning the invasion hopefully is the start of a long journey to sanity and kicking Trump, his entourage and co to the gutter where they belong so we can ridicule them. 

4 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

If you’re wondering why there’s been some pro Russia media content from parts of the US far right, 13.11 on this timeline will give you a clue - https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/trump-news-live-republicans-launch-last-ditch-effort-to-stop-jan-6-committee-accessing-emails/ar-AAV763j?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531

12:36.....

12 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Nope.

Boris is off, cap in hand, to a country with a much, much better record of human rights so we can top up our supplies of oil on the cheap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60754163

That's just sort term, which makes sense. In the long-term investing in renewables is obviously the way forward for a country like ours. That along with insulation. 

image.png.4f476341e83f10f52cf57b4e4ecd89ee.png

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s as much of a symbol or statement as anything else. The phrase, "convicted of war-crimes in The Hague," carries a certain gravitas and mingles you in with some fairly unpleasant company. Most Putin supporters won’t care but it might start to dawn on some normal Russians who think this is just a localised military operation.

Shame that won’t matter to a tyrant like Putin, and normal Russians that try to oppose him or rise up will be dealt with the same way they always have. If only being convicted of war crimes meant the same to Vlad as it did to so many more before him.

Edited by bpsaint

50 minutes ago, aintforever said:

That's just sort term, which makes sense. In the long-term investing in renewables is obviously the way forward for a country like ours. That along with insulation. 

image.png.4f476341e83f10f52cf57b4e4ecd89ee.png

Investing in nuclear fusion would give far better, far more reliable results.  That should be where the money is going for a 'long term' strategy.  The concept has been proven, now it's about scalability.

Won't happen though, way too many vested interests in fossil fuel.