West Ham 2-3 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Just now, benjii said:

Like today. See my post above.

Much more resilience in midfield without losing the ability of JWP to chase every ball all over the pitch for 90 minutes.

Today's shape should suit S Armstrong and Diallo better as well. 

Agree totally. Just going into every game 442 is fucking ridiculous.

The set up today's far better suits our squad. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, benjii said:

Had no confidence when I saw the starting line up but the change in formation today helped Elyounoussi and Walcott.

Redmond was good, as were the fullbacks. Salisu continues to impress and fair play to Bednarek for the goal. JWP and Broja were both immense, with JWP given licence to get forward more with the different midfield shape. I definitely think a variation of 433/451 is the way for us to go so hopefully we see less of the 4222 and kamikaze midfield in the second half of the season.

I've also done a tactical analysis of Moyse's West Ham. Here it is:

Hit the channels. *end*

Tbf, Bowen is very, very good as is Antonio and their whole team works because they're designed to be direct - but agreed there's not much nuance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

I've never really understood the dislike of Moi, or people thinking he's rubbish. 

likewise. maybe he just hasn't done enough to impress a lot of fans and in that forward role you want a bit more razzamatazz.

Nice to see some resilience, recovering from conceding rather than conceding another and losing after being ahead again. Pleasing to see us take points off those cheeky Cockney chappies for once too!! Going to need Bednarek and Salisu to stay fit with Stephens and Lyanco out with COVID but two promising away performances in a row now. Would very much like to see us turn over Spurs on Tuesday now but that will be a much harder test. For now, happy to revel in a Boxing Day win.

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Hope we can push the boat out and pay what's needed to secure broja on a permanent that's  assuming he would want to stay and chealsea aren't clamouring to brng him Back! How much though??? 

I’m already assuming he’s unaffordable- £30m+?

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Hope we can push the boat out and pay what's needed to secure broja on a permanent that's  assuming he would want to stay and chealsea aren't clamouring to brng him Back! How much though??? 

It's the question everyone has been asking pretty much since the first touch in a Saints shirt. The long contract signed before he came here suggests it's gonna be hard/expensive.

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

It's the question everyone has been asking pretty much since the first touch in a Saints shirt. The long contract signed before he came here suggests it's gonna be hard/expensive.

I reckon we get him slightly cheaper but with a heft sell-on clause and a buy back clause.

5 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I reckon we get him slightly cheaper but with a heft sell-on clause and a buy back clause.

come the end of the season, the whole premier league will know about him and we will have competition for him, should Chelsea even consider selling him. The player himself may see us as a stepping stone and be looking at someone bigger than us.

I thought Walcott was decent today. Not usually a fan but off the ball, he did what was asked of him and kept the defenders on their toes. Probably JWP's best game of the season and as for Broja - Wow what a player!

I must admit, I thought Kevin Friend did okay today! He had a lot of decisions to make, hardly any time to make them but generally officiated at a steady and consistent pace, let a lot go, admittedly but for both sides. Not my favourite referee in general but credit where credit is due.

How anyone thinks Forster is better than McCathy is totally amazing. No command over his penalty era, flapped at everything, kicking is the worst I've ever seen.

Also, why was their equaliser checked for so long? Clearly onside and even I'd have been baffled if that was disallowed - Get on with it.

Edited by Instant Classic
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Was Walcott as much of a passenger as he looked on tv? Great win, but bearing in mind how careless we were in possession, feels like a smash and grab.

Positional wise he was excellent, look like he stuck to his role in the game plan 100%. But, he just lacks a bit of spark, bit of acceleration or something different. A couple of times he could have broken between the lines or got us up the pitch, he would have done in his prime. Unfortunately, he looks like a good pro way over the hill.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

I thought Walcott was decent today. Not usually a fan but off the ball, he did what was asked of him and kept the defenders on their toes. Probably JWP's best game of the season and as for Broja - Wow what a player!

I must admit, I thought Kevin Friend did okay today! He had a lot of decisions to make, hardly any time to make them but generally officiated at a steady and consistent pace, let a lot go, admittedly but for both sides. Not my favourite referee in general but credit where credit is due.

How anyone thinks Forster is better than McCathy is totally amazing. No command over his penalty era, flapped at everything, kicking is the worst I've ever seen.

Also, why was their equaliser checked for so long? Clearly onside and even I'd have been baffled if that was disallowed - Get on with it.

Yup. Forster never going to be good enough. McCarthy will do for now but if we can get Johnstone in ASAP, that's the best case scenario

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Don't want to steal Minsks thunder in his head to head season comparison thread, but that win means we're now 11 points better off this season from the fixtures against the same teams last season. Suggest we'll have a better finish.

Ralph out! 🙄

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Yup. Forster never going to be good enough. McCarthy will do for now but if we can get Johnstone in ASAP, that's the best case scenario

We've won 5 of the last 8 Premier League game Forster has played and we finished 6th and 7th with him in goal.  His stats for points won per game and goals conceded per game are miles better than McCarthy's. So, whereas all of the facts show that Forster is much better, and we get much better results with him in goal, you stick to your prejudice.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

We've won 5 of the last 8 Premier League game Forster has played and we finished 6th and 7th with him in goal.  His stats for points won per game and goals concdeded per game are miles btter than McCarthy's. So, whereas all of the facts show that Forster is much btter, you stick to your prejudice.

Stats stats stats - he is not a better keeper than our other keepers- you tiers ut up tho as the longer you go on the stats wil prove you are a wanker.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

We've won 5 of the last 8 Premier League game Forster has played and we finished 6th and 7th with him in goal.  His stats for points won per game and goals conceded per game are miles better than McCarthy's. So, whereas all of the facts show that Forster is much better, and we get much better results with him in goal, you stick to your prejudice.

With him and Stuart Armstrong starting we would be invincible 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Haven’t seen any of the game.  But that is a great result considering we weren’t quite at full-strength.

How did Fraser do?

He was normal Forster.

One pretty good save down to his left in the first half but other than that he barely faced a shot on target other than the goals. 

For the first he could maybe have tried to get something on the corner but once it was headed back across the box it was a free header from close in. Second goal was wank defending and a free shot from 6 yards.

The rest was a mix of either punching or trying to punch crosses that were flung into the 6 yard box. The best bit was when he half cleared a ball and then ended up on his back in the middle of the 6 yard box flailing around like a goldfish that had escaped its tank while the ball bounced around the penalty area.

Kicking was mostly launching it randomly forwards.

Edited by The Cat
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Was Walcott as much of a passenger as he looked on tv? Great win, but bearing in mind how careless we were in possession, feels like a smash and grab.

Offensively he lacked the courage and directness that made him such a good player, and sadly I think he’s a yesterday man. Like most on here, I wasn’t happy to see him starting.

However, from about the 68th minute on, he put in a very good defensive shift protecting our left flank. That pretty much took the very dangerous Bowen out of the game and reduced the pressure on KWP. And Yarmalenko didn’t get a sniff either.

Overall I’d give him a 6 or 7, instead of the 3-4 he’s been worthy of lately.

• Like 3

Can't believe we won a game (and away from home)! Was totally psyched for the equaliser in extra time (and probably the winner from them knowing us) so surprised and happy we hung on to win. Feared the worst when I saw the lineup. Thought we should have subbed much much earlier to put some energy back into the midfield...was thinking the worst again...why are we waiting to go behind before changing things? 

Broja won that for us - total class act when he's up for it. Salisu great. Walcott worked hard, so did Redmond. Great first goal from Elyounoussi. Che Adams and S Armstrong back...Adam Armstrong fit for Tuesday...OMG, do you think we have a chance against Spurs?

Foster has to learn how to catch the ball from corners...we will get exploited for punching out every time. I liked big hoofs up the park instead of playing out from the back and being dispossessed or giving the ball away in our own half.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

As nice as it would be I think the long contact Chelsea tied him down to before he joined suggests they want to keep hold of him.

That being said as he’s still young and has time on his side I really believe we might be able to agree to a second year loan deal for him. I imagine that’ll be a good arrangement for all parties.

• Like 4

Now that the dust has settled on the game I'm really happy with how Saints played. 

I think RH does deserve credit for the subs. I don't think he should have picked Walcott but even though we were adamant he had to do something he held his nerve and made the changes to disrupt WHUs flow. 

Being a small club in the EPL we don't really have the luxury that rich teams do with regards to subs. Each week he has to figure out when and who to bring on. Sometimes he waits too long, but today he got it right. 

Broja is some player. Too bad he's now effectively out of our price range.

I thought FF was decent but we will need someone better than both him and Mac in between the posts next season. 

Glad to beat those twats finally, horrible club. 

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

OK... ??? Bizarre response.

1 hour ago, benjii said:

Had no confidence when I saw the starting line up but the change in formation today helped Elyounoussi and Walcott.

Redmond was good, as were the fullbacks. Salisu continues to impress and fair play to Bednarek for the goal. JWP and Broja were both immense, with JWP given licence to get forward more with the different midfield shape. I definitely think a variation of 433/451 is the way for us to go so hopefully we see less of the 4222 and kamikaze midfield in the second half of the season.

I've also done a tactical analysis of Moyse's West Ham. Here it is:

Hit the channels. *end*

Slightly confused as to how the line up helped Walcott - he never had a kick all game as all of us bar Ralph expected and could have predicted.

No chance we ever get Broja. I doubt he'd even come in loan next year. 

He's the real deal. We're getting to enjoy his play for now but when he really develops he's going to be be a top top player. Chelsea must be salivating.

Ideally you'd want to believe that he'd come back for 1 more season for us giving him the chance but he probably sees it as he's doing us a favour by coming to us this season. 

56 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

I can’t imagine anyone on here thinks that? I’m actually starting to worry about some of our fans who think we have a chance of signing him..I don’t think we do!

57 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

I can’t imagine anyone on here thinks that? I’m actually starting to worry about some of our fans who think we have a chance of signing him..I don’t think we do!

Oh there was one high profile poster on here who insists Armstrong and Adams both have a higher ceiling than Broja 🤣

4 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

No. Clear penalty even in real time. Broja recovered from the first lunge at him outside the box and ref played advantage, hence second foul in box.

JWP redeemed himself with the spot kick as he had not made a tackle all afternoon.

And the assist for the winner. Superb ball in

Right back from the game and an extended shower to hopefully wash away any London Omicron variant!

As for the away end, great support and it was pleasant to see all Saints fans get involved with the Yellows from kids to families.

As for the stadium tho, WHU having the cheek to charge £5.50 for a 440ml tin of Heineken, more fool me for buying that piss I suppose. Although, after full time they were giving away free pies so I guess that made up for it a little bit.

Now onto the game, but to keep it short and sweet, Broja was easily my MOTM. Run them ragged, was very direct and if memory serves me correctly I think he even won all 3 yellow cards for WHU. I also genuinely think Saints fans played a huge role in getting that penalty, it was clear as daylight to us all Broja was through on goal and literally hacked down, it was nice to see all the players in the refs face for once to almost put pressure on VAR to have a look.

My next shoutout will go to Salisu, lad was a rock today and I hope will only get better. I think everyone was pretty par, Redmond disappointed me and both goals we conceded definitely showed we’re still somewhat fragile. Forster won a fair few punches today which I think we can give more credit than usual for. The home fans booing for him “timewasting” was amusing.

However, it’s 3 points and a very late Christmas present so thank you Saints! The table is certainly looking better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, adriansfc said:

I've never really understood the dislike of Moi, or people thinking he's rubbish. 

You can tell he's scored plenty in other leagues the way he looks to shoot without a second thought. Most our no10s are so hesitant. Yeah he's not the quickest but I like him, especially if Armstrong isn't playing. He's a long, long way ahead of Walcott and Djenpo, and far far more likely to score than Redmond. 

Lets be honest he was pretty poor before his loan spell away and showed very little upon his return in pre season. But he has definitely improved and is a good squad player - way ahead of Walcott and Djenepo as you say, but thats more of a reflection on how bad they both are. Hope Moi keeps on improving