West Ham 2-3 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Let's not gloss over Bednarek even though he got the winner. Terrible defending from him

At least he learnt from the mistake against Wolves which let Jiminez score and took Antonio out on the halfway line for a yellow card with about 5 minutes to go.

• Like 2

That was a great result away. Why do we have to make it so difficult by tip tapping it around then giving the ball away and putting ourselves under pressure. Forster had a good game and no chance with either goal. He certainly cleared our lines at corners and gave WHU little chance to head and his long kicks to either touchline caused pressure on WHU. Today was all about not losing, the win was brilliant. I saw a penalty given last week, the foul started outside the area but it was explained if it carries on into the penalty area it's a penalty. We still lack that ruthless streak closing out games. We have to get the ball into the corners and fight tooth and nail to keep it there. 

Edited by derry
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

No. Clear penalty even in real time. Broja recovered from the first lunge at him outside the box and ref played advantage, hence second foul in box.

JWP redeemed himself with the spot kick as he had not made a tackle all afternoon.

Quite right, if you are fouling someone outside the box, then carry on fouling them I  the box,  then it's a penalty. 

The des walker tug on overmars years ago comes to mind. Had hold of him outside the box, but forgot to let go of him  when they crossed the line. 

I still maintain that JB is a fucking liability even though he got the winner. He backs off when he should be stepping up, dives inn when he should be jockeying. He's makes one huge gaffe per game. 

Salisu has been fantastic. If we could get him a reliable partner we'd be so much more solid.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Pedant alert. Boxing Day is tomorrow. It can't be on a Sunday.

But still a brilliant win 

In Massachusetts it is always 26th December. Since nobody knows for certain the origin of the name then Boxing Day can be whichever day we all choose it to be.

A great and unexpected win. I might even have a celebratory beer tonight 🥳

6 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Does Ralph deserve a little bit of credit for the result even if all our usual frailties were there for all to see?

On paper West ham should beat us 9 times out of ten so I wasn't expecting anything from that.

Great result!

A little? He deserves a lot.

I know there's mixed feelings on here but I still maintain he sets us up to be an entertaining side to watch who'll go at anyone, with absolutely no right to be considering the financial backing he's had.

Really nice to see us go on to win a game we've been pegged back in as well. 

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Does Ralph deserve a little bit of credit for the result even if all our usual frailties were there for all to see?

IMO he shouldn't be blamed for every error, poor performance and defeat, managers can only do so much and its the players that play the game, but if you're of the opinion that the buck stops with him, no matter what, then he must be credited with every win too.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

On paper West ham should beat us 9 times out of ten so I wasn't expecting anything from that.

Great result!

As we have now beaten them and drawn against them this season perhaps it is not 9 times out of10.

27 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Great result!

But, Saints have won 5 of the last 8 Premier League games Fraser Forster has played in so with him in goal you expect us to win.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Man U as well. Lost 3-2.

He scored the 2nd of our goals to put us 2 nil up in each of those games (Wolves, Chelsea, Man U) and we went on to lose each game 2-3. A truly incredible stat and so unlikely it is possibly my favourite ever stat despite it it costing us. Get in!!!!

• Like 1

Broja is a proper centre forward. Holds the ball up, upsets their centre halves, puts himself about, good in the air,  quick feet and no slouch. My motm today by a mile. We look so much better with him up top. 

Nice to see a bit of gamesmanship from Forster, upsetting their muppets with his time wasting. 

Unexpected bonus, at 1-1 I thought “here we fucking go again”.

Walcott, WTF, but other than that Ralph did ok today. But ffs Ralph, Broja ahead of Armstrong & Adams  all day long. Please !!!!

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 3

Had no confidence when I saw the starting line up but the change in formation today helped Elyounoussi and Walcott.

Redmond was good, as were the fullbacks. Salisu continues to impress and fair play to Bednarek for the goal. JWP and Broja were both immense, with JWP given licence to get forward more with the different midfield shape. I definitely think a variation of 433/451 is the way for us to go so hopefully we see less of the 4222 and kamikaze midfield in the second half of the season.

I've also done a tactical analysis of Moyse's West Ham. Here it is:

Hit the channels. *end*

Edited by benjii
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Broja is a proper centre forward. Holds the ball up, upsets their centre halves, puts himself about, good in the air,  quick feet and no slouch. My motm today by a mile. We look so much better with him up top. 

does the job of two strikers, which means we can play an extra guy deeper, which should help make us a fraction harder to beat.

Just now, Chez said:

does the job of two strikers, which means we can play an extra guy deeper, which should help make us a fraction harder to beat.

Agreed. Protects the ball, when  the ball sticks up front it makes the midfield better. Some of his hold up play was superb today, especially from a nipper. Looked like an old pro out there.,

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Like today. See my post above.

Much more resilience in midfield without losing the ability of JWP to chase every ball all over the pitch for 90 minutes.

Today's shape should suit S Armstrong and Diallo better as well.