Medical emergencies

whelk

1 hour ago, once_bitterne said:

He's been banging on about the authorities needing to look into footballers collapsing as he thinks it's due to the vaccine and then posted that his thoughts were with the two people at the matches who collapsed yesterday which was immediately jumped up by his acolyte followers as being vaccine related so it's not difficult to work out what he's doing.

He's like a pound shop Icke.

Saturday afternoon TV sports presenter turned raging conspiracy theory nut-job.

There are definitely parallels there.

3 hours ago, TWar said:

The club need to distance themselves from him, it's embarrassing.

EDIT: Can't find him specifically alluding to this on twitter, is it somewhere else? I could just be missing it amongst the streams and streams of antivaxxer bollocks he posts.

I will always have fond memories of his playing career and I wish him well, but don't forget we are talking about the guy who backed Mickey Fialka's consortium. It all turned out ok in the end so it's been glossed over, but that's right up there with putting Ali Dia into the matchday squad, or hyping up the original Ted Bates Statue.

29 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

So disappointing that two such great footballers should turn out to be so stupid. Maybe they’ve caught something that as affected their cognitive abilities.

They are not stupid. 

38 minutes ago, JRM said:

They are not stupid. 

I don't think anyone is universally stupid. People have different strengths and weaknesses when it comes to intelligence. They both clearly have some smarts to become pro footballers. 

Unfortunately when it comes to basic judgement, science, application of logic, ability to judge source quality, political nous etc. they are both clearly overwhelmingly unintelligent. And that is clearly a problem when their football ability affords them a massive platform. 

• Like 1

Re connection to the vaccines.
I wonder which one Fabrice Muamba had when he collapsed at White Hart Lane whilst playing for Bolton back in 2012?
I was at a local Saturday League game back in the 1990's when a player sadly collapsed and died on the pitch.
Not sure what he had been vaccinated with but because this was prior to Facebook and Twitter no conspiracy theories could be promulgated.

• Like 1

A cursory 30 second google on the subject will show that there is a direct link between cardiac issues and the vaccine. Its the reason why many European countries have stopped the MNRA vaccine for under 30's. Its why the FDA in the USA have made the vaccine companies add the cardiac disclaimer to the side affects of the vaccines. Its one of the reasons the JCVI in the UK didnt recommend the vaccines to kids. There has been a 500% increase this year in cardiac issues in football.

I think its a very legitimate question to ask until there is proper research and real answers. Some of the dismissive responses on here are shameful.

• Like 1

The Sheff Utd player had nt been vaccinated, but I know that a pro footballer who was reported collapsing with heart palputations ( I this for sure) has had the jabs.

I still know its right to have them done.

As for the Twitter, surely that is not Rickie Lambert!!!

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

The Sheff Utd player had nt been vaccinated

Neither had Eriksen apparently.

11 minutes ago, richardc said:

A cursory 30 second google on the subject will show that there is a direct link between cardiac issues and the vaccine. Its the reason why many European countries have stopped the MNRA vaccine for under 30's. Its why the FDA in the USA have made the vaccine companies add the cardiac disclaimer to the side affects of the vaccines. Its one of the reasons the JCVI in the UK didnt recommend the vaccines to kids. There has been a 500% increase this year in cardiac issues in football.

I think its a very legitimate question to ask until there is proper research and real answers. Some of the dismissive responses on here are shameful.

All very scary indeed but it’s random, unverified half truths floating around on social media. The chances of having cardiovascular problems from the actual virus far outweigh any potential side effects if the vaccine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richardc said:

Here is an article by the british heart foundation recommending the jab and describing risk of myocarditis as mild: https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/coronavirus-vaccine-your-questions-answered/covid-19-vaccines-and-myocarditis-should-you-be-worried

Here is an article backing up that assertion in nature: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02740-y

Pretty much every other source I read comes to the same conclusion, that the risk is incredibly low.

Calling it a 500% increase is an exercise in why we don't use % for small numbers. And to link it to the vaccine is wildly disingenuous when the risk of even mild myocarditis is 1/50,000. It is far more likely due to players who have been exercising their whole lives having to take a long period out and then going straight back to not just full speed but even more with the new fixture congestion. This is why we don't conflate correlation with causality. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Neither had Eriksen apparently.

All very scary indeed but it’s random, unverified half truths floating around on social media. The chances of having cardiovascular problems from the actual virus far outweigh any potential side effects if the vaccine.

This is a very important point. One that often gets missed in the discussion about the vaccine. COVID is something like 1000 times more likely to cause heart conditions than the vaccine and that is one of COVIDs less common or dangerous symptoms.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richardc said:

This article at no point links the increase in heart conditions with the vaccine. It implies it a bunch, but doesn't give any evidence whatsoever. It also mentions myocarditis without even touching on the fact there is a 1/50,000 of getting even mild myocarditis.

A quick flick through this website shows it's not a very good source at all. One article just titled "Jimmy Carr is an idiot" and another fearmongering about microchips. I'd stick to the british heart foundation and nature, the biggest and most cited scientific journal in the world, if I were you.

EDIT: Just noticed the writer is Paul Joseph Watson. This guy is a world class buffoon, and basically a professional troll for the alt-right. Google his name, he has had some absolute stinkers. Here is an article on him: https://www.thedailybeast.com/alex-jones-protege-paul-joseph-watson-is-about-to-steal-his-crackpot-crown?ref=scroll

Edited by TWar

10 minutes ago, TWar said:

This article at no point links the increase in heart conditions with the vaccine. It implies it a bunch, but doesn't give any evidence whatsoever. It also mentions myocarditis without even touching on the fact there is a 1/50,000 of getting even mild myocarditis.

A quick flick through this website shows it's not a very good source at all. One article just titled "Jimmy Carr is an idiot" and another fearmongering about microchips. I'd stick to the british heart foundation and nature, the biggest and most cited scientific journal in the world, if I were you.

EDIT: Just noticed the writer is Paul Joseph Watson. This guy is a world class buffoon, and basically a professional troll for the alt-right. Google his name, he has had some absolute stinkers. Here is an article on him: https://www.thedailybeast.com/alex-jones-protege-paul-joseph-watson-is-about-to-steal-his-crackpot-crown?ref=scroll

Im not a cardiologist so I'm never going to change your mind this guy is and sums things up very fairly, although I suspect you'll just dismiss the news channel rather than what he says

9 minutes ago, richardc said:

Im not a cardiologist so I'm never going to change your mind this guy is and sums things up very fairly, although I suspect you'll just dismiss the news channel rather than what he says

Problem with videos like this is they don't cite sources. Why not just read the actual cited papers rather than what has been reposted by GBNews with 0 back up or correlating evidence?

Luckily, I'm not deterred so easily, I looked up the claim specifically and here is it being fact checked - https://fullfact.org/health/covid-vaccines-heart-disease/ no surprise, he's chatting nonsense and the work he cited wasn't even peer reviewed.

Say what you want about discounting the source but if it is being peddled by absolute con men like GBNews and no one in the respected media like BBC, and also not in top academic journals like Nature, or by independent charities like the british heart foundation then isn't that at all suspicious to you? As a non-cardiologist, are you not tempted to stick with the overwhelming evidence from all the vastly respected media, scientists, and charities who have built up trust over decades rather than the likes of Paul Joseph Watson and GB News, absolute charlatans who make their money peddling culture war nonsense to the sort of buffoons who are afraid of "cancel culture" and "wokeness"?

Edited by TWar

Rickie Lambert and Matt Le Tissier, the first being led on by the latter; even said himself in a podcast that he is thick but his wife is even thicker.

Pedalling bullshit.

Shame really but if I worked at the club I’d be keeping a huge distance from those two right now.

On a separate note, I’d be interested to know which of our players have and haven’t had their jabs.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TWar said:

Problem with videos like this is they don't cite sources. Why not just read the actual cited papers rather than what has been reposted by GBNews with 0 back up or correlating evidence?

Luckily, I'm not deterred so easily, I looked up the claim specifically and here is it being fact checked - https://fullfact.org/health/covid-vaccines-heart-disease/ no surprise, he's chatting nonsense and the work he cited wasn't even peer reviewed.

Say what you want about discounting the source but if it is being peddled by absolute con men like GBNews and no one in the respected media like BBC, and also not in top academic journals like Nature, or by independent charities like the british heart foundation then isn't that at all suspicious to you? As a non-cardiologist, are you not tempted to stick with the overwhelming evidence from all the vastly respected media, scientists, and charities who have built up trust over decades rather than the likes of Paul Joseph Watson and GB News, absolute charlatans who make their money peddling culture war nonsense to the sort of buffoons who are afraid of "cancel culture" and "wokeness"?

Now who is being naive?!

3 minutes ago, SaveloyMush said:

Now who is being naive?!

I mean, the BBC definitely can have subtle spin, and I have a lot to say regarding their treatment of the 2019 election, but they can't outright lie in the way GB News does. If they had someone on peddling dangerous conspiracy theories which are based on not even peer reviewed science then there would be a national scandal. As is, no one cares for GB News as we just assume they are full of shit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SaveloyMush said:

Now who is being naive?!

Chaps like him probably settle down for their daily propaganda digest from BBC and lap it up. 

The inflated death numbers get no critical analysis, "number of people who died within 28 days of a positive result" I personally know of one elderly relative who went into hospital with a completely unrelated issue, was very unlikely to survive and they still managed to get the death down as covid as apparently tested positive day or two before dying. Was a real eye opener for me, how many more cases like that are there? 

Clearly covid is not very nice, but the way stats and behavioural scientists have been used to inflate the sense of fear should make any critical thinker stop and think. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

Chaps like him probably settle down for their daily propaganda digest from BBC and lap it up. 

The inflated death numbers get no critical analysis, "number of people who died within 28 days of a positive result" I personally know of one elderly relative who went into hospital with a completely unrelated issue, was very unlikely to survive and they still managed to get the death down as covid as apparently tested positive day or two before dying. Was a real eye opener for me, how many more cases like that are there? 

Clearly covid is not very nice, but the way stats and behavioural scientists have been used to inflate the sense of fear should make any critical thinker stop and think. 

Terminally ill patients enter hospital, the perfect breeding ground for a virus, immune systems completely fucked, then test positive for Covid-19.

"Died with Coronavirus".

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JRM said:

It's super strange to talk about propaganda with relation to the news network backed up by basically every peer reviewed scientific journal, every independent charity, and every state funded scientific institution in the world along with the world health organisation which is literally set up to study such things whilst peddling this inflated death number nonsense.

If you want true numbers then look at excess death compared to previous years. It very closely matches the reported death number when deconvolved with other effects owing to lockdown and natural variation. Downplaying the number who have died from COVID is very silly. Here is a source, https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker, unless the economist is also too much of a "daily propaganda digest" for you.

Edited by TWar

1 minute ago, SaveloyMush said:

Terminally ill patients enter hospital, the perfect breeding ground for a virus, immune systems completely fucked, then test positive for Covid-19.

"Died with Coronavirus".

Do you have evidence this happens?

Hospitals are most certainly not "perfect breeding ground for a virus". They actually do a huge amount to prevent viral contamination, as they are hospitals. They don't just shove the COVID cases in the old people wing and have them share thermometers. 

18 minutes ago, JRM said:

Is "died with COVID-19" a perfect and flawlessly accurate representation of COVID deaths? No, absolutely not and I haven't seen anyone reasonably try to argue that but the NHS wasn't pushed to breaking point last January by people with terminal erectile dysfunction or rabies, who happened to catch COVID on their ward.

31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Is "died with COVID-19" a perfect and flawlessly accurate representation of COVID deaths? No, absolutely not and I haven't seen anyone reasonably try to argue that but the NHS wasn't pushed to breaking point last January by people with terminal erectile dysfunction or rabies, who happened to catch COVID on their ward.

The NHS has been pushed to breaking point every January for the last 10 years. Lookup NHS hospital bed shortages 2010, 2011, 2012 you get the idea. They have a huge push every December to get the bed blockers out 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

I haven’t mentioned GB News.

But the BBC are not highly respected.

The original comment was with regards to GB News. Everything is relative. BBC is better respected than almost all media outlets in the UK. Less so than scientists and charities but significantly more so than GB News and the work of Paul Joseph Watson.

And, to be honest, I would say the BBC is well respected amongst the silent majority. It tends to be people on the far ends of the political spectrum that complain about it, and that usually includes me, but in this case and with regards to the other dross sources posted even I must admit it is generally very highly regarded.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

The original comment was with regards to GB News. Everything is relative. BBC is better respected than almost all media outlets in the UK. Less so than scientists and charities but significantly more so than GB News and the work of Paul Joseph Watson.

Serious question, who pulls more viewers in the UK GB News, BBC News or Sky News?

Surely BBC?

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Serious question, who pulls more viewers in the UK GB News, BBC News or Sky News?

Surely BBC?

Would have to research it a bit and am on my way out to 5-aside so if anyone else wants to do so feel free. If I remember rightly there was one point where GBN had literally 0 viewers.

EDIT: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jul/15/gb-news-shows-attracted-zero-viewers-after-boycott-over-taking-the-knee

Also, on their first week GBN had 50K, sky had 57K and BBC have 110K. Since then GBN has dropped to something like 15K whereas the other two have held pretty firm

Edited by TWar

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

Your quote didn’t say anything about comparison . Stop trying to twist it.

13 minutes ago, JRM said:

The NHS has been pushed to breaking point every January for the last 10 years. Lookup NHS hospital bed shortages 2010, 2011, 2012 you get the idea. They have a huge push every December to get the bed blockers out 

We had to lock the whole country down for six weeks to stop the situation spiralling out of control, that doesn’t happen under a normal flu season, you’re comparing apples with oranges. Covid infections, admissions and deaths were shooting up exponentially. If we hadn’t done anything, we’d have ended up like India, Brazil and a few other countries who tried to carry on as normal.

7 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Your quote didn’t say anything about comparison . Stop trying to twist it.

Reread the original comment you quoted, rather than just the 5 words you snipped out of context, the words GBNews are 6 words before your quote starts.

Edited by TWar

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

Would have to research it a bit and am on my way out to 5-aside so if anyone else wants to do so feel free. If I remember rightly there was one point where GBN had literally 0 viewers.

EDIT: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jul/15/gb-news-shows-attracted-zero-viewers-after-boycott-over-taking-the-knee

Also, on their first week GBN had 50K, sky had 57K and BBC have 110K. Since then GBN has dropped to something like 15K whereas the other two have held pretty firm

a few of their shows do alright it seems

https://order-order.com/2021/11/23/gb-news-unreported-viewer-numbers/

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Say what you want about discounting the source but if it is being peddled by absolute con men like GBNews and no one in the respected media like BBC, and also not in top academic journals like Nature, or by independent charities like the british heart foundation then isn't that at all suspicious to you

The respected BBC 😂

There you go