Saints 2-2 Leicester - Match Thread

Lighthouse

3 hours ago, Micky said:

I really want to be positive and say that we will win, but I just don't see it.  They have been in a bit of a slump lately, but have bounced back with that result against Watford - when was the last time we scored 4 goals in a game, yonks ago.  How many games would it actually take our strike force to score four goals - loads.

My heart says we are going to win easily 3 or 4 nil, but my head says that my heart knows naff all and we are about to get another stuffing.  So bad is the situation that I'd probably rip your arm off for a point.  Please, please, please prove me wrong.

I'm a little more optimistic than that; Leicester weren't that great yesterday, the main difference was they took their half chances; hopefully Vardy won't be playing on Wednesday as he will be rested and him and Maddison were the difference. Tieleman is also out.   

Saints didn't play well in the 2nd half at Norwich but would still have got a point or three if the goalie had done his job. Liverpool was just a bad day at the office where a combination of a superb team on the top of their game, key absences for Saints and our poor tactical formation contributed to a disappointing delay. Write it off and focus on Leicester and Brighton.

I'm certainly not putting money on us to win, but Leicester still aren't the top team of last year (particularly if Vardy is missing), so we have a fighting chance of 1 or 3 points if he will play well and our defence is tight. Leicester's defence this season has been their Achilles heel (even when Vest hasn't been playing), so perhaps we can nick one or more. 

Fingers crossed ....

47 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

No no.

You're wrong.

It unequivocally doesn't happen.

Nobody has ever got a penalty by rounding on the referee and the referee has never ever bottled it.

It has never ever happened.

I'm wrong? 

Are you trying to tell me that Brian Clough didnt't try to be nice to referees?

Scoring goals continues to be a major problem for us so this feels like it's going to be more of the same in which case we'll probably lose. Find our shooting boots and the win is there for us but our strikers don't fill me with optimism. Every match it feels like we're all hoping this is the one where we convert our chances but it just never happens. Would love Wednesday to be the night it all clicks into place up front. Still think Broja has a huge part to play in solving the goal scoring enigma.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Would imagine there’s very little confidence in the team that they can win a game. Unfortunately I don’t think this will be a win…they score goals, we don’t…game over.

Wait until we go 1-0 up; we’ll definitely be cacking it then 🤣 UTS regardless 

Edited by Garysfc48
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

No no.

You're wrong.

It unequivocally doesn't happen.

Nobody has ever got a penalty by rounding on the referee and the referee has never ever bottled it.

It has never ever happened.

Totally agree but I think there’s a lot of thought that constant barracking will influence the next decision in their favour. 

I don't have the best feeling for this game but I have it in me that all 3 results are possible

Leicester seem to just have our number recently home and away, we have 1 win in 6 home games against them and it's time for our annual Winter collapse to begin if it already hasn't...

I think we will dominate them but lose 1-0 in a Leicester smash and grab... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

So referees only consult the monitor if players surround him and insist on it? I always thought it was the VAR operators who did this.

Genuinely can't tell if you're for real or on the wind up here.

Are you seriously telling me, you've never seen players round on a referee and the referee then put his hand to his ear and request a VAR check on a decision he'd already ruled on?

• Like 2

We've not won a league game without Stuart Armstrong for two years. 

Stuart Armstrong is injured for this game.

Not sure if Leicester will rotate much, they don't play again until Sunday afternoon,  Tielemans out is good news. 

Hopefully Bertrand is given a decent reception if he plays, guarantee him and Vestergaard will put in man of the match performances if picked. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

Genuinely can't tell if you're for real or on the wind up here.

Are you seriously telling me, you've never seen players round on a referee and the referee then put his hand to his ear and request a VAR check on a decision he'd already ruled on?

It used to be that they would ask him to go and consult his linesman.

16 hours ago, nta786 said:

I don't have the best feeling for this game but I have it in me that all 3 results are possible

Leicester seem to just have our number recently home and away, we have 1 win in 6 home games against them and it's time for our annual Winter collapse to begin if it already hasn't...

Sadly, I agree with you only more likely 2-0 as our defence has lost its compactness lately with Livramento in particular being caught out of position too often.

Just a reminder to everyone that we are being shown live on Amazon Prime tomorrow evening.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

17 hours ago, nta786 said:

mind you Vardy is rampant just now.

On 28/11/2021 at 09:38, JRM said:

We don't have a great record against them and Brendan Rogers, semi final last year still a big disappointment, I'll go for 1-1. 

Leicester seem to be playing two games a week at the moment with Europa league / Carabao Cup as well, hopefully they have a tough game and pick up a few knocks today against Watford. 

It just sums it all up if we have to hope our opponents have injury problems to expect the game goes our way

I just hope that JWP can wind Vardy up as he is a petulant twat at times. He put VVD out for almost a whole season with his nastiness. I see from the report in the Mirror this morning that the 9-0 was mentioned twice. Any bets on at what point it will be mentioned before and during the game this time? 

I'm seem to always be advertised a 30 day free trial with Amazon Prime, but at the moment the closest I seem to be able to get to a trial is 99p for the first week.

Is that the same for everyone? Do they stop doing the free trials around Christmas time or something? I've had the 30 day trial before but we'll over a year ago...

34 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

I'm seem to always be advertised a 30 day free trial with Amazon Prime, but at the moment the closest I seem to be able to get to a trial is 99p for the first week.

Is that the same for everyone? Do they stop doing the free trials around Christmas time or something? I've had the 30 day trial before but we'll over a year ago...

If you have used your free trial then you won’t be able to use it again, they’ll be plenty of streams anyway. :)

25 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

It's only about £10 a month to subscribe.

...and you get that back quickly in saved P & P charges. It's an absolute no brainer. There are more matches on over Christmas so very good value seeing as though you can watch your favourite team rather the boring old top six selection that Sky dishes out.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

It's only about £10 a month to subscribe.

This is what you get for your money throughout December:

Wednesday December 1

Watford v Chelsea (7:30pm GMT)

Southampton v Leicester (7:30pm GMT)

West Ham v Brighton (7:30pm GMT)

Wolves v Burnley (7:30pm GMT)

Aston Villa v Man City (8:15pm GMT)

Everton v Liverpool (8:15pm GMT)

Thursday December 2

Tottenham v Brentford (7:30pm GMT)

Man Utd v Arsenal (8:15pm GMT)

Tuesday December 28

Arsenal v Wolves (12:30pm GMT)

Crystal Palace v Norwich (3pm GMT)

Southampton v Tottenham (3pm GMT)

Watford v West Ham (3pm GMT)

Leeds v Aston Villa (5:30pm GMT)

Leicester v Liverpool (8pm GMT)

Wednesday December 29

Chelsea v Brighton (7:30pm GMT)

Brentford v Man City (8:15pm GMT)

Thursday December 30

Everton v Newcastle (7:30pm GMT)

Man Utd v Burnley (8:15pm GMT)

34 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

This is what you get for your money throughout December:

Wednesday December 1

Watford v Chelsea (7:30pm GMT)

Southampton v Leicester (7:30pm GMT)

West Ham v Brighton (7:30pm GMT)

Wolves v Burnley (7:30pm GMT)

Aston Villa v Man City (8:15pm GMT)

Everton v Liverpool (8:15pm GMT)

Thursday December 2

Tottenham v Brentford (7:30pm GMT)

Man Utd v Arsenal (8:15pm GMT)

Tuesday December 28

Arsenal v Wolves (12:30pm GMT)

Crystal Palace v Norwich (3pm GMT)

Southampton v Tottenham (3pm GMT)

Watford v West Ham (3pm GMT)

Leeds v Aston Villa (5:30pm GMT)

Leicester v Liverpool (8pm GMT)

Wednesday December 29

Chelsea v Brighton (7:30pm GMT)

Brentford v Man City (8:15pm GMT)

Thursday December 30

Everton v Newcastle (7:30pm GMT)

Man Utd v Burnley (8:15pm GMT)

Quite glad it's only 2 home games because I'll be at them anyway which means I won't be tempted to give my money to Amazon. 

39 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Quite glad it's only 2 home games because I'll be at them anyway which means I won't be tempted to give my money to Amazon. 

I hate thought of giving Jeff B anything but missus subscribes so handy at times

35 minutes ago, whelk said:

I hate thought of giving Jeff B anything but missus subscribes so handy at times

I get it when they offer a free month, watch whatever I need to on Prime (there's not that much really) and then sack it off. Makes me feel like I'm beating the system when in reality they already have so much money they couldn't give a shit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Saw the story about Ralph nearly starting Long as Anfield. If true then it'd hard to keep backing him. This isn't 2016. Comments about his pace and workrate just show you haven't watched him in years. He's no longer good enough for the Championship. Being on our bench and getting a sub appearance was ridiculous enough. 

But it wouldn't surprise me if he pops up in these two home games with Ralph citing the rapid turnaround. Not sure why that would matter when all three strikers and Redmond have missed games recently. 

When he came on against Wolves you could hear most the stadium knowingly sigh that the game was over. There was one man there who thought it was a good idea, and that wasn't even Shane Long. 

I watched the first half of the Wolves game in a hotel room,  walked the dog and had a quick beer at half time. I thought about going back to watch the end of the game, checked my phone , saw that Long had come on and so ordered another beer instead!

17 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Saw the story about Ralph nearly starting Long as Anfield. If true then it'd hard to keep backing him. This isn't 2016. Comments about his pace and workrate just show you haven't watched him in years. He's no longer good enough for the Championship. Being on our bench and getting a sub appearance was ridiculous enough. 

But it wouldn't surprise me if he pops up in these two home games with Ralph citing the rapid turnaround. Not sure why that would matter when all three strikers and Redmond have missed games recently. 

When he came on against Wolves you could hear most the stadium knowingly sigh that the game was over. There was one man there who thought it was a good idea, and that wasn't even Shane Long. 

To be fair when he came on against Chelsea in the cup he caused them problems. Putting him out on the right wing I think he can still do a job. As a striker he's done for sure.

• Haha 1

On 28/11/2021 at 22:59, Saint Fan CaM said:

Would imagine there’s very little confidence in the team that they can win a game. Unfortunately I don’t think this will be a win…they score goals, we don’t…game over.

Eh? We've been in reasonable form before losing to Liverpool. Arsenal lost 4-0 to Liverpool and they are 5th. Get a grip.

The Norwich loss was just one of those games, we dominated, should have put it top bed but didn't. If we start winning those games consistently we'll be on the verge of challenging for europe. As it is we aren't and its keeping us in lower mid table. I acknowledge there is a fair gap between those two outcomes, but to say we have no confidence to win a game is just silly.

Unfortunately Leicester is never a good game for us under Brenda. They're solid defensively and very dangerous on the break. If Ralph plays it sensibly we'll do alright, if he goes YoloRalph (ala liverpool) we'll be out of the game after a few counters.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Eh? We've been in reasonable form before losing to Liverpool. Arsenal lost 4-0 to Liverpool and they are 5th. Get a grip.

The Norwich loss was just one of those games, we dominated, should have put it top bed but didn't. If we start winning those games consistently we'll be on the verge of challenging for europe. As it is we aren't and its keeping us in lower mid table 🤷‍♂️

what will be the score tonight, in your opinion?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

what will be the score tonight, in your opinion?

Who knows. Both Leicester and saints are all over the shop recently.

Could be a tight 1-1 / 2-1 game. Or we go full YoloRalph and lose 1-3 / 1-4. I certainly wouldn't predict saints to win comfortably.

What do you think? 😅

Just now, Saint86 said:

Who knows. Both Leicester and saints are all over the shop recently.

Could be a tight 1-1 / 2-1 game. Or we go full YoloRalph and lose 1-3 / 1-4. I certainly wouldn't predict saints to win comfortably.

What do you think? 😅

Leicester win.  1-3 or 0-2.  We are crap, simple as that.  They have better players and manager.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

went to Liverpool at the weekend and saw a very forgettable performance, left 20 minutes before the end of the game and headed for the town centre to drown our sorrows. A really crap weekend got worse yesterday when 2 out of the 4 of us that went tested positive for COVID. Feeling really shit so my expectations for tonight sum up how i feel, another shit performance and another loss with bizarre team selections and subs.

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-2 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic