Watford 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Cracking win. Probably our biggest game so far and to win it is superb. We aren't going down this year we are too good. 

I think Ralph's got us playing some really good football, and we seem to be improving.

I reckon we have more depth than the last couple of seasons, which should help our consistency.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He’ll be fine, getting in good positions, once he gets one the goals will come. I’d be more worried if he wasn’t in the position to get chances 

not to mention creating chances for himself with his quick feet and dribbles. He looks a decent player to me. He knows where the net is. It will come.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CanadaSaint said:

As much as I like KWP, we were vulnerable with him at LWB today. So much of Watford’s threat came wide down our left, and KWP is much weaker tackling with his ‘wrong’ foot and less accurate with clearances. He’s a better player than Perraud but we can look more vulnerable defensively, and that exposes Salisu as well.

Not for me mate. Thought he had a really good game.

• Like 2

Stepped off a plane with ten minutes to go so didn't see any of it but big cheers in customs at final whistle!

Have said before clean sheets are the key dimension for any of the “non big six” (whatever that means these days) to finish in or around the European spots.   Check the record books, everyone remembers the Manes and Pelles but reality is that our four top eight finishes were built on defensive prowess.  Fair play to Ralph, we now look like a team who will average conceding one goal per game, and that really does deliver you points.

• Like 4

Great feeling to get the three points, although we did make it a bit hard for ourselves in the second half by which time we should have been out of sight.

Feel sorry for Armstrong A, did everything right today but score. Didn't miss any sitters and mostly crafted the chances for himself but was just inches out on a few occasions. Probably his best all round performance so far and I think the goals will come.

MOTM between KWP and Redmond for me, signs in recent weeks that Redders is finding his form again. There were no bad performances but shout out to McCarthy for that fantastic save, looked destined to be an equaliser.

The lack of goals aside, we are starting to look like a good team this season, with decent depth and options too. Don't think we'll pull up any trees but I'm increasingly confident we'll have enough to stay up at least. We're playing some good football.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Great feeling to get the three points, although we did make it a bit hard for ourselves in the second half by which time we should have been out of sight.

Feel sorry for Armstrong A, did everything right today but score. Didn't miss any sitters and mostly crafted the chances for himself but was just inches out on a few occasions. Probably his best all round performance so far and I think the goals will come.

MOTM between KWP and Redmond for me, signs in recent weeks that Redders is finding his form again. There were no bad performances but shout out to McCarthy for that fantastic save, looked destined to be an equaliser.

The lack of goals aside, we are starting to look like a good team this season, with decent depth and options too. Don't think we'll pull up any trees but I'm increasingly confident we'll have enough to stay up at least. We're playing some good football.

Redmond 🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I think Redders and KWP had really good games, but Salisu and Tino were even better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vancouver Saint said:

OMG that was TORTURE! Classic us...should've been out of sight at half-time...9 shots on goal 1 on target says it all...

Looked very leggy second half. Can't understand why Ralph waited so long to sub Elynoussi off, although S Armstrong had one of his worst caemos and is still clearly not match fit. Even the DAZN commentator was saying Che Adams was tired with 20 minutes to go...and we were struggling to hold the ball up top - why on earth not bring Tella on and defend by attacking?!

McCarthy man of the match - made a match-winning save at the end.

Happy we got the points, but my goodness it's no surprise we seem to have mastered the formula for losing points from winning positions - giving teams that should be dead and buried hope.

Honestly I watched the game on a stream and I never though Watford would score. Although we should have won by more the defence and midfield ran the game and aside from McCarthys save felt we kept them at arms length the entire match. We may not be much between us in points but in terms of quality of team I thought we were miles ahead 

• Like 4

Great performance but was disappointed we couldn’t get that second goal.

Good showing from the whole team, only Moi was quiet and he was rightly the man to be substituted.

Tino, wow again, only 18! KWP very good too. All their danger came down our right but he still managed to get forward well.

Like what I saw from Adam Armstrong today, finishing still a bit off, would like to have seen at least one of those chances on target but the rest of his play was good.

Much more depth this year, even Lyanco now looks an option after Tuesdays performance. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

What did Redmond do today that was good other than stand around second half like a lost soul ? 

What did he do of any significance 1st half 

He worked really well off KWP down the left today in the first half. His touches look so much better than they have; he's positive and he's going forwards. 

He did really well winning some corners, and maybe should be taking some of them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

What did Redmond do today that was good other than stand around second half like a lost soul ? 

Linked up play, was part of the creation with KWP done the left hand side, got back to support the defence.

Seriously, surprised to see your reaction, if you dont like him, or rate him, that is one thing, but if he plays well, that should be acknowledged.

Do you think he has been poor all season, or just today as trying to understand where you are coming from?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

If you cant see the contribution Redmond has provided this season, including today, must just be plain ignorance by someone who has an agenda against the player.

Try watching the game objectively, I’m sure you will enjoy it more.

Rubbish, wtf did he do today other than slow the game down and give shit passes, if you think Redmond performance was of a good standard you need to really think about whether this sport is for you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Linked up play, was part of the creation with KWP done the left hand side, got back to support the defence.

Seriously, surprised to see your reaction, if you dont like him, or rate him, that is one thing, but if he plays well, that should be acknowledged.

Do you think he has been poor all season, or just today as trying to understand where you are coming from?

Typical Redmond today 10 touches when 2 will do, poor end product, slows attacks down 

• Like 1

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Rubbish, wtf did he do today other than slow the game down and give shit passes, if you think Redmond performance was of a good standard you need to really think about whether this sport is for you 

😅 yeah sure Ed Rooney, I need to think about if this sport that I have followed for over 40 years is for me.

mean girls movie GIF

You have an agenda, I think it is wrong, I imagine virtually everyone on here would dis agree with you.

• Like 7

Typical Redmond today 10 touches when 2 will do, poor end product, slows attacks down 

So, are you going to answer the Q about Redmond’s performances all season - do you think he has been poor all season?

Or are you going to ignore this as you cant really answer that he has been poor?

So, are you going to answer the Q about Redmond’s performances all season - do you think he has been poor all season?

Or are you going to ignore this as you cant really answer that he has been poor?

Yes he has been poor all season except lower league sides and Leeds b team 

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Dunno what game you watched today pal

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm surprised such a worthy football fan (a new and rather unfathomable concept to me!) as you can't appreciate his improvement through this season.

Nobody's saying he's the new Thierry Henry (well, not anymore!), but he feels almost like a decent new signing to me this season.

Edited by VictiAbNonem
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I am by no means his biggest fan, but he has been good the last few games. Today he and KWP linked up really well on the left, especially in the first half where most of our chances were created and Watford just couldn't cope.

Faded a bit in the second but was still good at picking the ball up deep and driving us forward, didn't see him stopping and checking back today as he so often has in the past. You have to give credit where it's due.

• Like 3

Just now, VictiAbNonem said:

I'm surprised such a worthy football fan (a new and rather unfathomable concept to me!) as you can't appreciate his improvement through this season.

Nobody's saying he's the new Thierry Henry (well, not anymore!), but he feels a almost like a decent new signing to me this season.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but for me he is the same as he has been every other season. Slows the game down, takes to many touches, end product is ridiculous, work rate is ridiculous. But apart from that yeah all good 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes he has been poor all season except lower league sides and Leeds b team 

This is just plain wrong.

I've been as critical if him over the last couple of years as anyone but it's obvious to anyone with eyes that he has vastly improved this season.

He was a key part of our performance today, defended from the front, linked up well with KWP, and was involved in the move that led to our goal. To not recognise and acknowledge that is ridiculous.

• Like 2

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but for me he is the same as he has been every other season. Slows the game down, takes to many touches, end product is ridiculous, work rate is ridiculous. But apart from that yeah all good 

Today I saw him make a few really smart first time passes back to KWP on the left wing, I saw him make dangerous runs that won corners, I saw him make some good tackles and blocks on the wing and around our area, I saw him trying to be positive all game and putting in a serious effort.

I'm not saying it was anywhere near a perfect performance, but I saw him have a really good game.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion yet when somebody disagreed with you your retort was they should go and watch another sport. You were quite blatantly trying to belittle their opinion.

You don't rate Redmond, fine. It's surprising you can't recognise a difference in his game this season when most, even those who don't rate him, are able to do so. 

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Some so called fans don't know anything about football. Hear enough of them in the Itchen every home game. They just take a personal dislike to certain players regardless of how well they are playing.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

7 points from those three games is a decent enough return. Take nothing for granted in this league, Burnley just spanked a pretty good Brentford team.

Yep, it was the minimum I was quietly hoping for and we have got it.

I think 4 pts minimum from the next two games too, but no reason why we can't get all 6.

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Honestly I watched the game on a stream and I never though Watford would score. Although we should have won by more the defence and midfield ran the game and aside from McCarthys save felt we kept them at arms length the entire match. We may not be much between us in points but in terms of quality of team I thought we were miles ahead 

I know Ranieri had a new manager bounce against Everton, but I thought when Watford appointed him that that’s them for relegation, just doesn’t seem a good fit to me. 

• Like 2

🤣🤣🤣 hilarious, no people that know what they are talking about 

If they all genuinely thought Redmond was as bad you say today, then they clearly don't know what they are talking about. He was decent.

He was a constant threat down the left, got in behind a few times and created numerous chances, and was an important part of an overall team performance. However poor he may have been in the past has no significance to that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Does anyone else notice Salisu make a few utterly remarkable interceptions every game, where he leaps high in the air doing the splits and manages to cut out a dangerous looking ball with what ends up being a pass to one of our players in space? Then the commentator might say 'nice block from Salisu' 

I want more than a hundred million for him.

Edited by VictiAbNonem

Yes. Go read you message, you were posting on SWF, and said 10/15 people here.

Anyhow, enjoy your evening Ed.

the twilight zone GIF

Here as in with me numpty, the world exists outside this forum. If I meant on this forum I would have said on here 

• Haha 1

Just now, VictiAbNonem said:

Does anyone else notice Salisu make a few utterly remarkable interceptions every game, where he leaps high in the air doing the splits and manages to cut out a dangerous looking ball with what ends up being a pass to of our players in space? Then the commentator might say 'nice block from Salisu' 

I want more than a hundred million for him.

Yeah he was great, has been all season. Really hoping he gets a contract extension with a 10 year deal. 

he reads the game so well for someone so young. How old was VVD when he joined us?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Yeah he was great, has been all season. Really hoping he gets a contract extension with a 10 year deal. 

he reads the game so well for someone so young. How old was VVD when he joined us?

VVD 24 in July the year he joined

Salisu 22 since April, so just turned 21 when he joined

• Like 1