Watford 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Well that was fucking agony. So many poor decisions in the second half, heavy touches, general incompetence. Comical lack of composure all round. A big save from McCarthy (after Romeu's latest headless chicken act had overrun the play) preserves the points.

This season is going to kill me off if we can barely manage a goal a game and are dependant on holding on to clean sheets to get anything. Yeesh.

Anyway, bank the points - 7 from 9 from our "easy run" - breathe a sigh of relief and move on.

MOTM? I think Walker-Peters did a solid job down the left and just about came out on top of Watford's best player, Sarr.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Superb performance. Totally bossed the first half and remained solid in the second.

Some exceptional performances from Salisu, Livramento, Romeu and then McCarthy who not only made a stunning save at the end but got a vital touch to the one cleared off the line in the first half and claimed everything comfortably.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, qwertyell said:

Well that was fucking agony. So many poor decisions in the second half, heavy touches, general incompetence. Comical lack of composure all round. A big save from McCarthy (after Romeu's latest headless chicken act had overrun the play) preserves the points.

This season is going to kill me off if we can barely manage a goal a game and are dependant on holding on to clean sheets to get anything. Yeesh.

Anyway, bank the points - 7 from 9 from our "easy run" - breathe a sigh of relief and move on.

MOTM? I think Walker-Peters did a solid job down the left and just about came out on top of Watford's best player, Sarr.

Cheer up! We won!!

• Like 5

As much as I like KWP, we were vulnerable with him at LWB today. So much of Watford’s threat came wide down our left, and KWP is much weaker tackling with his ‘wrong’ foot and less accurate with clearances. He’s a better player than Perraud but we can look more vulnerable defensively, and that exposes Salisu as well.

• Confused 2

So many good performances. Redmond had a very good game again. Livramento too. Like Salisu bullying forwards and taking the yellow wen needed. Up front, we dint take the chances but we created them, which is encouraging. Credit to McCarthy. That save at the end looked a worldie. He keeps making them Bpsaint 😉 

• Like 5

Just now, CanadaSaint said:

As much as I like KWP, we were vulnerable with him at LWB today. So much of Watford’s threat came wide down our left, and KWP is much weaker tackling with his ‘wrong’ foot and less accurate with clearances. He’s a better player than Perraud but we can look more vulnerable defensively, and that exposes Salisu as well.

Eh! He did a great job on Sarr

• Like 7

1 minute ago, CanadaSaint said:

Good point. and Sarr caused Salisu problems with his pace. The Perraud signing has not worked so far. Hope he can improve. Not sure he offers the quality we need.

Just now, CanadaSaint said:

So much of our first half threat came down the left because of KWP. I thought he had a pretty solid game defensively 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Eh! He did a great job on Sarr

Exactly so much of their play came down that side because Sarr is their best player by a country mile. That's why KWP was in today imo(because Ralph trusts him slightly more defensively than Perraud)

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 1

OMG that was TORTURE! Classic us...should've been out of sight at half-time...9 shots on goal 1 on target says it all...

Looked very leggy second half. Can't understand why Ralph waited so long to sub Elynoussi off, although S Armstrong had one of his worst caemos and is still clearly not match fit. Even the DAZN commentator was saying Che Adams was tired with 20 minutes to go...and we were struggling to hold the ball up top - why on earth not bring Tella on and defend by attacking?!

McCarthy man of the match - made a match-winning save at the end.

Happy we got the points, but my goodness it's no surprise we seem to have mastered the formula for losing points from winning positions - giving teams that should be dead and buried hope.

• Like 1

That was reasonably comfortable and Watford really only had the one chance in the second half when McCarthy pulled off a good save. We were unlucky with a couple of deflected shots that, on another day, might have sneaked in. Think with Broja up front that would have been a more convincing win. 7 points from Leeds, Burnley and Watford is what I hoped for so happy with that. Stu Armstrong clearly needs games to get back up to speed. No bad performances today, it was a good team effort and a much needed win plus another clean sheet. Watford looked poor in general so this was a game we needed 3 points from. 

1 minute ago, VictiAbNonem said:

So much of our first half threat came down the left because of KWP. I thought he had a pretty solid game defensively 

I was okay with him starting, but the pattern change after HT saw almost all of Watford’s penetration coming down our left. Salisu started to look much less assured.

My first change would have been Armstrong on for Mo - ten minutes earlier. My second would have been Perraud for KWP - especially because Salisu was on a yellow.

This is maybe our biggest Achilles heel - Ralph failing to respond to major opposition pattern shifts.

2 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

That was reasonably comfortable and Watford really only had the one chance in the second half when McCarthy pulled off a good save. We were unlucky with a couple of deflected shots that, on another day, might have sneaked in. Think with Broja up front that would have been a more convincing win. 7 points from Leeds, Burnley and Watford is what I hoped for so happy with that. Stu Armstrong clearly needs games to get back up to speed. No bad performances today, it was a good team effort and a much needed win plus another clean sheet. Watford looked poor in general so this was a game we needed 3 points from. 

Chance cleared off the line by KWP in the first half too

• Like 3

Great 1st half . Another good performance from Redmond I must say (I really don't like him but credit where it's due) . Didn't see all the 2nd but other than last 5 mins what I did see we looked comfortably in control. God knows what AA needs to do to bury one, gets in great positions. Tino outstanding again. Top save by Macca to keep them out.3points clean sheet what's not to love. Well done Ralph.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

Disagree completely with that. Kwp wasn't vulnerable at all. Dominated the game apart from last 5 minutes. Also got to the byline multiple times and beat his man on the outside and the inside.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Bit worried for Adam Armstrong hopefully it will happen Soon as he's creating chances seems to be hitting his chances a bit too hard at times and losing direction of shot 

I share your concern, but he did I think look quite a bit better today than in midweek. His shots were all closer to the goal, and he actually created a couple of decent chances.

I think he'll come good, but at least if he doesn't we should have a good alternative in Broja 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Bit worried for Adam Armstrong hopefully it will happen Soon as he's creating chances seems to be hitting his chances a bit too hard at times and losing direction of shot 

He’ll be fine, getting in good positions, once he gets one the goals will come. I’d be more worried if he wasn’t in the position to get chances 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Streaky said:

Disagree completely with that. Kwp wasn't vulnerable at all. Dominated the game apart from last 5 minutes. Also got to the byline multiple times and beat his man on the outside and the inside.

That’s fine - we each call it as we see it.

But there is no way that we “dominated the game apart from the last 5 minutes”. We completely dominated the first half and should have been out of sight. After Ranieri’s HT changes we played much of the second half on the back foot.

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I definitely think he's trying to be too accurate at times. Good assist for the goal though, so he ultimately played his part in the victory.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

I definitely think he's trying to be too accurate at times. Good assist for the goal though, so he ultimately played his part in the victory.

I’m not sure whether he’s trying to be too accurate or not accurate enough. He’s getting himself into great positions but seems to lack a little composure at finishing time. He’s “snatching” at his shot rather than taking that extra millisecond. But there are signs that he could go on a scoring tear soon.