Yan Valery

Rickman42

1 minute ago, Sfcphilc said:

I wouldn't say I was impressed either, he didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Also agree that he's not someone I would feel comfortable playing week in week out. He would be a good squad player to bring on with a change in formation or late in games. I'd like to see us ultimately upgrade on all of Valery, Lyanco and Stephens in the next couple of seasons. 

He looked somewhat ‘unfit’ and overweight too. As did Stephen’s, but then he’s always appeared to be carrying a bit of timber. 

2 minutes ago, Greenridge said:

As did Stephen’s, but then he’s always appeared to be carrying a bit of timber. 

And IMO not good enough most of the time. I’ve never rated JS, sometimes he looks good but he’s a ricket waiting to happen.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Well, that’s what forums are for, disagreeing with opinions. I thought he recovered well on occasions, like you say, but I also thought at least some of those recoveries were of his own making, he could have shut down the threat better and earlier. I just don’t think he’s good enough at the level we need him to be at.

Agreed some of the recoveries were his own fault originally. One thing i am concerned with the 5 at the back is how far forward our right/left centre back goes. Given our wingbacks push up it can leave us with only 2 centre backs left if the ball is given away cheaply 

Hes certainly better at CB in a three than he is at RB. More cover in a three if he makes a mistake, which he continues to do. Good to see him playing better but hes not the solution and a move would be best for his own career. 

11 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Hes certainly better at CB in a three than he is at RB. More cover in a three if he makes a mistake, which he continues to do. Good to see him playing better but hes not the solution and a move would be best for his own career. 

I thought he played well last night - not too many mistakes and he learning the system all the time. I think he’ll be in the squad for this season at least.

11 hours ago, Greenridge said:

He looked somewhat ‘unfit’ and overweight too. As did Stephen’s, but then he’s always appeared to be carrying a bit of timber. 

I was wondering if him bulking up is a deliberate move to make him a bit more solid at CB, that being said he did slow down and cramp up so maybe there is a bit of fitness lacking there too 🤷‍♂️

42 minutes ago, samhammond said:

Perhaps unpopular, but based on pre-season showings, I’d like to see Valery be the RCB in a back 3 with Bella-Kotchap & Salisu at Spurs (if we play that system).

He suits that role really well imo.

I'd be really surprised if that back 3 is used at Spurs. I'd expect it to be JB, Salisu and one of either Lyanco or Stevens, probably Lyanco.   

41 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I'd be really surprised if that back 3 is used at Spurs. I'd expect it to be JB, Salisu and one of either Lyanco or Stevens, probably Lyanco.   

Think Ralph has made it quite clear ABK, Salisu and Bednarek are our main CB’s via his team selections over the last 3/4 games so imagine they’ll be starting 

Edited by warwicksaint

• 1 year later...

He should do well for them. Not sure what happened at Birmingham (seem to remember something like he got brought in to play the same position as one of their best players?!) but I thought he had the technical ability to be a decent player in the Championship. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disconnect said:

He should do well for them. Not sure what happened at Birmingham (seem to remember something like he got brought in to play the same position as one of their best players?!) but I thought he had the technical ability to be a decent player in the Championship. 

he was absolutely woeful at Brum - that was the problem at Brum. 

21 hours ago, Chez said:

Yeah but that goal against the Gunners at St Mary's, what a corker. Goal of the Millenium for Saints!

Edited by Charlie Wayman

10 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Yeah but that goal against the Gunners at St Mary's, what a corker. Goal of the Millenium for Saints!

Martina, but Valery's strike at(?) Old Trafford was also extremely good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, disconnect said:

Martina, but Valery's strike at(?) Old Trafford was also extremely good.

Not quite in the same league as Cuco's against Arsenal (that was just phenomenal), but still a belter.

A Wednesday supporting friend texted me earlier asking about him. If he's improved his defensive positioning since he left us then he should do well for them.

I seem to remember he put in a few decent performances as a CB in a 3 with us.

23 hours ago, Chez said:

He was frozen out by Lee Bowyer who never gave him any game time when he took over shortly after Valery had joined. It was alleged that Valery said some stuff about his teammates which were not too complimentary. Not sure if the two things were related. But it's wrong to say he was woeful when he hardly played.

Has been a regular with Angers, albeit in Ligure 2 last season after they were relegated.

• 1 month later...