Yan Valery

Rickman42

Thought he played well, as he has done nearly every time he’s played this season (minus getting sent off)! Think we’re pretty lucky to have him in the squad - has matured a lot and really worked on the defensive side of his game. He has a calm style on the ball which I think people in the past have mistaken for not trying… Think he’s pretty good going forwards too

4 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

He was outstanding last night: sheer class. He has shown this season against some top teams - Spurs, Chelsea and West Ham - that he is a very good centre back. 

Always thought his concentration was suspect, maybe playing in the centre and knowing he needs to be switched on all the time has helped him improve

Just now, beatlesaint said:

Always thought his concentration was suspect, maybe playing in the centre and knowing he needs to be switched on all the time has helped him improve

I must agree I never rated his defensive capabilities very highly when he was playing at right back but as a central defender he is an absolute revelation: a real rolls royce of a player. Another masterstoke from Ralph playing him there.

18 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

He was outstanding last night: sheer class. He has shown this season against some top teams - Spurs, Chelsea and West Ham - that he is a very good centre back. 

Imagine posting this when he couldn’t get a game for Birmingham!

Fair-play to him.

1 hour ago, disconnect said:

Thought he played well, as he has done nearly every time he’s played this season (minus getting sent off)! Think we’re pretty lucky to have him in the squad - has matured a lot and really worked on the defensive side of his game. He has a calm style on the ball which I think people in the past have mistaken for not trying… Think he’s pretty good going forwards too

Can't disagree, his performance was really good. Not sure what he is like in the air though, and I think that he needs a decent dominant header of the ball next to him (I find Jack S a little average in this respect).   We looked very suspect at set-pieces all night and not all the blame should go on Willy. 

I still think that Valery's best position will be as part of a back 3 where we can exploit his pace, but complement his aerial deficiencies with other. 

I saw him as a poor RB at the start of the season, so I'm absolutely stunned that he's now turning in decent displays at CB. My MOTM last night, he's very proactive in his play and very engaged.

This is all down to simply phenomenal coaching. No one would have seen a CB in Valery, but somehow Ralph did and has made him more than capable at it as well. 

His second half performance last night was infinitely better than his first half performance.  Great to see his confidence in dribbling the ball out and I thought his decision making looked much more assured.  Overall, a big step forward last night.

Never thought he'd make a competent defensive player, but no doubt he's turned into a decent CB. Always thought he'd end up as either a RWB or RM/RW.  

Clearly having to go forward and defend is too much for him to deal with, so when he only has to focus on defending he's been very impressive. 

Another player that Ralph has made infinitely better....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/06/2022 at 16:41, The Kraken said:

From “a Rolls Royce of a player” to being linked with the Turkish second division, all in the space of three months. Who’d have thought? The next Bobby Moore, he is not.

Not sure anyone suggested that. Just that he'd had a few competant games at CB.  He's still a very limited footballer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure anyone suggested that. Just that he'd had a few competant games at CB.  He's still a very limited footballer. 

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

.......and one who has spent too long in the " cosy bubble " of Saints' youth football. 

It's a tough life in the Prem..and even EFL and tbh....I can't see him making it.

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Someone suggested it on this page, a Rolls Royce of a player. Which was actually the terminology I actually used to use to describe van Dijk when he was here.

Valery is quite clearly not a Rolls Royce of a player. He’s simply not good enough at right back or centre back for a Premier League side.

57 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Someone suggested it on this page, a Rolls Royce of a player. Which was actually the terminology I actually used to use to describe van Dijk when he was here.

Valery is quite clearly not a Rolls Royce of a player. He’s simply not good enough at right back or centre back for a Premier League side.

The same person who also said Calum Chambers was the new Bobby Moore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2022 at 17:54, The Kraken said:

I've never seen him put a foot wrong when playing at CB tbf

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He is garbage and should not be in a premier league squad

Ever seen him play CB? Like I said above, he's not put a foot wrong. He's been very solid every time he's played there as part of a back five. I do agree that he's garbage at right back though.

• Like 1

I’ve seen him as a cb and he’s definitely put a foot wrong, inc one horrific pass that put a striker clean through (Forster saved him). He is much better there than right back, and is better with two other centre backs, but he isn’t good enough for anything other than doing a job for a couple of games, and for me is worse than Stephens, Bednerak and Lyanco. As mentioned, a really poor right back.

• Like 3

On 26/10/2021 at 19:12, Sheaf Saint said:

Can't say I'm filled with confidence TBH. Last time he played (at Sheff Utd) he was dreadful defensively. I'd be very concerned about playing him at CB against a more competent team.

I wonder though, how much of our defensive failings were down to the poor coaching set up. How much will this change with better coaching and tactics?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

I’ve seen him as a cb and he’s definitely put a foot wrong, inc one horrific pass that put a striker clean through (Forster saved him). He is much better there than right back, and is better with two other centre backs, but he isn’t good enough for anything other than doing a job for a couple of games, and for me is worse than Stephens, Bednerak and Lyanco. As mentioned, a really poor right back.

I agree with this  He's extremely lightweight in the air too. How many below average CBs do we need?

• Like 2

On 24/06/2022 at 13:28, Bad Wolf said:

Ever seen him play CB? Like I said above, he's not put a foot wrong. He's been very solid every time he's played there as part of a back five.

Apart from often being caught out of position, numerous dangerous mislaid passes and offering no aerial presence?

He is a bottom half Championship level player at both right back and centre back(even when in a 3 man defence). If he has to play for Saints for any prolonged period of time next season it is a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Apart from often being caught out of position, numerous dangerous mislaid passes and offering no aerial presence?

He is a bottom half Championship level player at both right back and centre back(even when in a 3 man defence). If he has to play for Saints for any prolonged period of time next season it is a disaster waiting to happen.

I've never seen that from him when playing at CB. He played as part of a pair against Spurs when we had 10 men and produced a man of the match performance.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Didn't realise he was out of contract next summer. Big decision on him required

Guess it comes down to how much we want to use him until Livramento is back fit, could play himself back into longer term plans in the cups etc, or could provide the reason for his contract running and dropping down a level

to me he is the level of Obafemi (pre-Swansea move) in that he’s a good squad player who can provide performances once or twice a season but that’s about it. If he’s happy doing that and we’re not paying him more than that level deserves them no complaints at keeping him 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Puts the potential of a loan into context, if he’s loaned out it’s with likely no intent of coming back and just a bit of a wage saver.

Yep. Loan equals end of Saints career.

No one is gonna buy him this summer. 

I can't see us giving him a new contract this summer - not done enough last season to justify a new one.

Maybe he stays this season and we see how things go before making a decision on him, `relatively' safe in the knowledge that if he plays and impresses and we offer a contract, he won't then snub us.

I know I'm in the minority, but I quite like him. He's good going forwards, skillful and seems to have worked a lot on his defending, which was always fairly suspect. We're lucky to have 2 very good right backs, but I think he's pretty good for a reserve right back, and looked good on the right side of a back 3. In the past we've had Stephens out at right back, when we've had injuries and would much rather Valery than him there. I'd say it's worth keeping him to cover Livramento rather than buying someone else for about 3 months worth of matches, as I doubt we'd get anyone significantly better than him (and probably paying much more).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, disconnect said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I quite like him. He's good going forwards, skillful and seems to have worked a lot on his defending, which was always fairly suspect. We're lucky to have 2 very good right backs, but I think he's pretty good for a reserve right back, and looked good on the right side of a back 3. In the past we've had Stephens out at right back, when we've had injuries and would much rather Valery than him there. I'd say it's worth keeping him to cover Livramento rather than buying someone else for about 3 months worth of matches, as I doubt we'd get anyone significantly better than him (and probably paying much more).

You might be in a minority but it's at least a minority of 2.  I think he has the raw ingredients (technique and pace) to make it at this level.  The rest can be coached in with experience.  It seems crazy to me we are looking to sign a temporary solution for full back cover when he is here.  He's also progressed as a centre back and put in some decent performances.  The reality is a club like us needs a squad of 22 and not all are going to be starting 11 material.  He is flexible cover for a number of roles and still young enough to improve. So unless we get a silly offer from France we may as well have him for this last year; it's not like there's money to recoup. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

You might be in a minority but it's at least a minority of 2.  I think he has the raw ingredients (technique and pace) to make it at this level.  The rest can be coached in with experience.  It seems crazy to me we are looking to sign a temporary solution for full back cover when he is here.  He's also progressed as a centre back and put in some decent performances.  The reality is a club like us needs a squad of 22 and not all are going to be starting 11 material.  He is flexible cover for a number of roles and still young enough to improve. So unless we get a silly offer from France we may as well have him for this last year; it's not like there's money to recoup. 

Agree - we definitely need to spend money on midfield and forward options, back up right back/centre back when we have one is a waste of scarce cash I’d say…

• Like 1

I was talking to my Birmingham supporting mates about his loan there …let’s just say they didn’t rate him much!

In a 3 at centre back he did ok but we need better standard not sure why we accept such mediocrity.

Edited by Give it to Ron

• 1 month later...

Credit where its due, he's 100x better at RCB than RB. Not a world beater but a great squad player to come in if we're defending a lead late on. Made a couple of mistakes tonight but I liked how he won the ball back aggressively almost immediately. I prefer him over Lyanco who's too erratic for me, dives in far too often and he'll get found out if he's playing week in week out in the PL. 

6 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

Credit where its due, he's 100x better at RCB than RB. Not a world beater but a great squad player to come in if we're defending a lead late on. Made a couple of mistakes tonight but I liked how he won the ball back aggressively almost immediately. I prefer him over Lyanco who's too erratic for me, dives in far too often and he'll get found out if he's playing week in week out in the PL. 

I wasn’t too impressed with Valery tonight. He’s in a completely different position to Lyanco so comparisons are difficult, Valery was very much a right sided CB in a 3, whereas Lyanco was almost an old fashioned sweeper. Valery made too many little mistakes and got the wrong side too often. I think he’d be exposed at PL level every week. 

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I wasn’t too impressed with Valery tonight. He’s in a completely different position to Lyanco so comparisons are difficult, Valery was very much a right sided CB in a 3, whereas Lyanco was almost an old fashioned sweeper. Valery made too many little mistakes and got the wrong side too often. I think he’d be exposed at PL level every week. 

Someone on the game thread was saying he is a very good centre back. He isn't. And you're right - he gets wrong side a lot and that will get punished in the prem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Disagree entirely, although it was pre season i thought that was one of the better performances he’s put in, especially 2nd half. Made a great recovery tackle, played progressive passes, had a few nice runs through their team and tested their keeper on one occasion. Chased down and recovered when he did give the ball away sloppily once. Solid from him and looks more comfortable as a RCB

• Like 5

1 minute ago, warwicksaint said:

Disagree entirely, although it was pre season i thought that was one of the better performances he’s put in, especially 2nd half. Made a great recovery tackle, played progressive passes, had a few nice runs through their team and tested their keeper on one occasion. Chased down and recovered when he did give the ball away sloppily once. Solid from him and looks more comfortable as a RCB

Well, that’s what forums are for, disagreeing with opinions. I thought he recovered well on occasions, like you say, but I also thought at least some of those recoveries were of his own making, he could have shut down the threat better and earlier. I just don’t think he’s good enough at the level we need him to be at.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

I wouldn't say I was impressed either, he didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Also agree that he's not someone I would feel comfortable playing week in week out. He would be a good squad player to bring on with a change in formation or late in games. I'd like to see us ultimately upgrade on all of Valery, Lyanco and Stephens in the next couple of seasons. 

• Like 1