Salisu

Saint Garrett

The exciting thing about Salisu as you can see him growing with confidence and composure with each game…he’s coming on leaps and bounds with the ball at his feet too.

He’s one of the first on the team sheet now and you can see the game time is doing wonders for him…and he’s still only 22!

big future ahead for this lad!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Absolutely as he’d probably double his wages at a time when he’s still relatively unknown.

The exact same thing happened with VVD, a whopping 6-year deal just a year after originally signing with us.

That didn't work out well for VVD because he had to stay with us for another half season when his heart clearly wasn't in it.

We're speculating about his character now but I'm not sure most players would sign a contract like that just for the money and then be prepared to kick up a fuss to get a move

3 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Absolutely as he’d probably double his wages at a time when he’s still relatively unknown.

The exact same thing happened with VVD, a whopping 6-year deal just a year after originally signing with us.

Van Dijk even said when he signed it he’d only be here for another one or two seasons or something like that. It’d be a no brainer for the player and club 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Van Dijk even said when he signed it he’d only be here for another one or two seasons or something like that. It’d be a no brainer for the player and club 

This is what he officially said...

"I'm so pleased, I'm so happy. It's been amazing. It's only positive. The club is growing and I definitely want to grow with them, that's how I feel. Hopefully we can make it happen."

No idea what the future holds for Salisu, but yeah, a new contract is no brainer for all involved 👍🏻

12 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

This is what he officially said...

"I'm so pleased, I'm so happy. It's been amazing. It's only positive. The club is growing and I definitely want to grow with them, that's how I feel. Hopefully we can make it happen."

No idea what the future holds for Salisu, but yeah, a new contract is no brainer for all involved 👍🏻

Yeah he said that but around the same time he also said he only intended to stay for another 2 years max. I can’t find the quote but it definitely happened 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What's the story with Salisu and his international career? I noticed he's still not being called up for Ghana which I assume is his choice as when you look at the other defenders they've got they are hardly world class. 

Probably a good thing for Saints as he wouldn't be away for the African Nations Cup. 

6 minutes ago, JRM said:

What's the story with Salisu and his international career? I noticed he's still not being called up for Ghana which I assume is his choice as when you look at the other defenders they've got they are hardly world class. 

Probably a good thing for Saints as he wouldn't be away for the African Nations Cup. 

He has supposedly told Ghana he is not ready to play for them yet. 

“I will play for Ghana but I’m not ready yet” – Mohammed Salisu – Citi Sports Online

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

In November 2019, Salisu received his first call-up to Ghana's senior squad, after being named by Kwesi Appiah in the squad for the 2021 African Cup of Nations qualifiers against South Africa and São Tomé and Príncipe.[26] He withdrew from the squad citing injury problems.[27] In 2020, after C.K. Akonnor was appointed as manager of the national team, according to media speculation he made attempts to reach him but his efforts proved futile as seemed Salisu was interested in playing for the team.[28][29] His family later came out with a statement to refute all the information within the public space suggesting his refusal to play for the national team. The statement read that '' We further wish to state unequivocally that our son is a proud Ghanaian and very ready to represent Ghana at every level and time''.[28][29] His elder brother later granted an interview on local radio station Angel FM talking about his brother's call up snub into the Black Starlets, the Ghana U-17 team whilst he was playing in Ghana, due his inability to pay to be in the team and not because his performance was substandard.[29]

In April 2021, during an interview with MozzartSport Kenya, Salisu stated that he would be proud to play for the national team but it was not the right time for him to play and that he needed to focus on his club career. He concluded that when everything is fine at club level, he can go and play for the national team.[30][31]

---

Sounds like there was drama afoot

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Uncle Albert said:

Any specific reason why he’s made this decision?

There's a bit of back story:

"In November 2019, Salisu received his first call-up to Ghana's senior squad, after being named by Kwesi Appiah in the squad for the 2021 African Cup of Nations qualifiers against South Africa and São Tomé and Príncipe.[26] He withdrew from the squad citing injury problems.[27] In 2020, after C.K. Akonnor was appointed as manager of the national team, according to media speculation he made attempts to reach him but his efforts proved futile as seemed Salisu was not interested in playing for the team.[28][29] His family later came out with a statement to refute all the information within the public space that suggested his refusal to play for the national team. The statement read that '' We further wish to state unequivocally that our son is a proud Ghanaian and very ready to represent Ghana at every level and time''.[28][29] His elder brother later granted an interview on local radio station Angel FM talking about his brother's call up snub into the Black Starlets, the Ghana U-17 team whilst he was playing in Ghana, due his inability to pay to be in the team and not because his performance was substandard.[29]

In April 2021, during an interview with MozzartSport Kenya, Salisu stated that he would be proud to play for the national team but it was not the right time for him to play and that he needed to focus on his club career. He concluded that when everything is fine at club level, he can go and play for the national team."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

In April 2021, during an interview with MozzartSport Kenya, Salisu stated that he would be proud to play for the national team but it was not the right time for him to play and that he needed to focus on his club career. He concluded that when everything is fine at club level, he can go and play for the national team."

So we need to make sure that almost everything is fine for him at the club, but not quite all. Any suggestions? Make his tea too cold at half time?

Edited by Dark Munster

8 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

So we need to make sure that almost everything is fine for him at the club, but not quite all. Any suggestions? Make his tea too cold at half time?

My sources tell me that he will accept an international call up once we’ve scored from one of his long throw ins

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

My sources tell me that he will accept an international call up once we’ve scored from one of his long throw ins

It's the thought they invested 30mins into a long throw competition in training and he won that gets me.  Exactly how bad was everyone else to make anyone think Salisu had a long throw on him.

On 17/12/2021 at 20:29, Lallana's Left Peg said:

It's the thought they invested 30mins into a long throw competition in training and he won that gets me.  Exactly how bad was everyone else to make anyone think Salisu had a long throw on him.

Indeed and the worst part is that they're still continuing. Ralph hasn't had the wherewithal to change it. 😩

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, The Cat said:

Wonder if this tweet is teasing a new contract or if they are just using it to advertise the new kit?

Wasn't it said the Sport Republic stopped him leaving for Newcastle in January.

and he was on record as "looking forward to the new season" last month.

Sounds like he's had promises from above.

12 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Wasn't it said the Sport Republic stopped him leaving for Newcastle in January.

and he was on record as "looking forward to the new season" last month.

Sounds like he's had promises from above.

Probably his last season with us, assuming it is not a disaster....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Mid season he was being touted as the new VvD. His stats were very impressive. This is the sort of thing that leads to speculation, its fairly common in football. 

Touted by who and where?

Edited by Matthew Le God

On 02/07/2022 at 18:48, LiberalCommunist said:

Mid season he was being touted as the new VvD. His stats were very impressive. This is the sort of thing that leads to speculation, its fairly common in football. 

are you saying the £40m bid by Newcastle  in January and turned down by saints didn't happen and was just `speculation'?

3 hours ago, Chez said:

are you saying the £40m bid by Newcastle  in January and turned down by saints didn't happen and was just `speculation'?

What? I never read anything about that? But tbh, we would have been in the shite if we had sold him then.