Ralph out Howe In?

Pilchards

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

What contract did Santos have? This could cost Spurs an absolute fortune. 

According to BBC article it was a two year deal, which in itself wasn't an overwhelming vote of confidence showing commitment or good intention. 

Surprised Nuno went for such a deal especially as he was clearly well down their list of options after several others were meant to have turned it down, or had offers withdrawn. Feel sorry for Nuno in some ways as he came across well at Wolves I thought, but anyone accepting pieces of silver from levy shouldn't expect it to be plain sailing at Spurs, with or without the Kane saga in the background.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I mean overall this thread is hilarious, but posts like this are baffling. 

Do people like you even actually pay attention to reality?

We are 14th, we are just one win from the top half, and we have probably had a tougher start to the season than anyone in the bottom half. 

Newcastle have 4 points, can I just re-iterate that? They have 11 games realistically before they could put any new signings into the team, (and that is if they get them in really early) and have to play Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Leicester, and Arsenal in those games. Plus signings in Jan are generally pretty tough, and who of great value is going to join a team very likely to be still in the relegation zone?

Our 15-20 goal a season striker, has 3 goals for Villa, one of which was a pen. (oh and he only got 12 goals last year btw) and is seemingly now injured, with people questioning his purchase for Villa because they are shoehorning him into their tactic. 

Aside one very poor half against Everton, performances have been generally decent to good IMO, yes chances haven't been finished, but defensively we have been solid, attacking play has been decent and with a little more luck we'd have another couple of wins IMO. That includes games against Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, and a clearly very good West Ham team. 

I just do not understand how people can be so negative. 

Isn't hindsight great.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

According to BBC article it was a two year deal, which in itself wasn't an overwhelming vote of confidence showing commitment or good intention. 

Surprised Nuno went for such a deal especially as he was clearly well down their list of options after several others were meant to have turned it down, or had offers withdrawn. Feel sorry for Nuno in some ways as he came across well at Wolves I thought, but anyone accepting pieces of silver from levy shouldn't expect it to be plain sailing at Spurs, with or without the Kane saga in the background.

The Athletic have also reported that if Tottenham do not finish in the top six this season, they can sack him without paying compensation: https://theathletic.com/news/spurs-can-sack-nuno-without-paying-compensation-if-they-finish-out-of-top-six/NwFfHH15zGIr/

Although, it now doesn't look like he's going to get that far even. Was always a strange appointment on the whole. Sacked Mourinho because of poor results/boring football and then replaced him with a less successful version of Mourinho, who had just been given the boot at Wolves. But, I guess they were turned down by about 20 other managers prior.

Edited by HarvSFC

Good Morning all,

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: RH still manager. That is all.

In other news I think Norwich and Newcastle have gone, Norwich will naturally drop because it’s their habit to do so; but Newcastle like someone said above will have no investment for another ten games minimum at which point they need to play a lot of the bigger teams in the division, and then their recruitment and manager whoever they may be won’t gel immediately, that’ll take time, I think the richest club in the world are on a very slippery slope already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Good Morning all,

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: RH still manager. That is all.

In other news I think Norwich and Newcastle have gone, Norwich will naturally drop because it’s their habit to do so; but Newcastle like someone said above will have no investment for another ten games minimum at which point they need to play a lot of the bigger teams in the division, and then their recruitment and manager whoever they may be won’t gel immediately, that’ll take time, I think the richest club in the world are on a very slippery slope already.

Newcastle will be fine imo. They will spend stupid money in Jan and it should be enough to get above Burnley, Watford, Norwich, and one or two of Palace/Villa/Leeds/Brentford/Us.

I think it is one of the more predictable seasons though imo, Burnley, Watford and Norwich are way behind their competitors (aside from newcastle) and Newcastle are about to spend enough money to buy basically each of their respective whole starting 11s. Also Newcastle may get Tark which would really hurt Burnley.

Edited by TWar

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

Newcastle will be fine imo. They will spend stupid money in Jan and it should be enough to get above Burnley, Watford, Norwich, and one or two of Palace/Villa/Leeds/Brentford/Us.

I think it is one of the more predictable seasons though imo, Burnley, Watford and Norwich are way behind their competitors (aside from newcastle) and Newcastle are about to spend enough money to buy basically each of their respective whole starting 11s. Also Newcastle may get Tark which would really hurt Burnley.

I think you underestimate Dycheball , he always finds a way. Corney is scoring as well. Funnily enough I feel it is not cut and dried. Before the season started I thought Palace were in danger but they have been able to rebuild with young strong athletic players

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DT said:

Someone jumping the gun - apols

Once again other media outlets using our story as a ‘exclusive’. It gets us vexed! Nuno got sacked yesterday morning. He was collecting his personal belongings this morning from the training ground. Official statement incoming from @SpursOfficial #thfc twitter.com/indykaila/stat…

Just now, DT said:

Once again other media outlets using our story as a ‘exclusive’. It gets us vexed! Nuno got sacked yesterday morning. He was collecting his personal belongings this morning from the training ground. Official statement incoming from @SpursOfficial #thfc twitter.com/indykaila/stat…

that from Indykaila news on twitter just now

24 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I think you underestimate Dycheball , he always finds a way. Corney is scoring as well. Funnily enough I feel it is not cut and dried. Before the season started I thought Palace were in danger but they have been able to rebuild with young strong athletic players

A clever approach from Newcastle this window would indeed be to pluck key players from their relegation rivals as well as a few bigger signings. Think they will be fine. Money talks. Similarly Burnley always do seem to find a way. Norwich have too much to do. Palace are fine with Vieira. Perhaps Brentford will slide as they run out of steam. Difficult to predict who else might be down there tbh

56 minutes ago, DT said:

and now he's gone. Conte will cost a fortune

Didnt Conte turn Spurs down a few months ago ? 

With their star player on a season long sulk cos Levy wouldnt let him leave I cant say its an attractive proposition for him.

He'd be better waiting until United pull the trigger on OGS

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Didnt Conte turn Spurs down a few months ago ? 

With their star player on a season long sulk cos Levy wouldnt let him leave I cant say its an attractive proposition for him.

He'd be better waiting until United pull the trigger on OGS

IIRC Spurs said he couldn't hire as many staff as he wanted and wouldn't release transfer funds so he walked away. Looks like Levy tried to cheap out and get Nuno whilst not selling Kane hoping he would carry them and his value would hold up another year. Nuno is miles out of his depth and Kane, of course, is fuming (arguably even moreso with playing under a mediocre manager) and playing like wank accordingly.

Sounds like Levy realised what a mistake he made and called Conte pleading and offering whatever he wanted, like he should have done in the first place.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

IIRC Spurs said he couldn't hire as many staff as he wanted and wouldn't release transfer funds so he walked away. Looks like Levy tried to cheap out and get Nuno whilst not selling Kane hoping he would carry them and his value would hold up another year. Nuno is miles out of his depth and Kane, of course, is fuming (arguably even moreso with playing under a mediocre manager) and playing like wank accordingly.

Sounds like Levy realised what a mistake he made and called Conte pleading and offering whatever he wanted, like he should have done in the first place.

Levy has to get this one right though. Sacked Pochetino for a bad start after period of success then Mournino and Nuno both failing no realistic prospects of champions league football any time soon unless Conte has a magic wand and huge transfer budget 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Levy has to get this one right though. Sacked Pochetino for a bad start after period of success then Mournino and Nuno both failing no realistic prospects of champions league football any time soon unless Conte has a magic wand and huge transfer budget 

I suspect he will have the latter. CL isn't as hard to achieve this season, united look dreadful. West Ham and/or Arsenal could be their biggest competition for it if Ole stays. If they spend big money in Jan and get Kane firing again it could be doable.

Just now, TWar said:

I suspect he will have the latter. CL isn't as hard to achieve this season, united look dreadful. West Ham and/or Arsenal could be their biggest competition for it if Ole stays. If they spend big money in Jan and get Kane firing again it could be doable.

Would be very funny if Conte comes over and says no thanks. Again. What a bunch of prima donnas the Spurs players are. Seems to be modern disease. If they don't like the manager they wail and get him moved on.

Just now, DT said:

Would be very funny if Conte comes over and says no thanks. Again. What a bunch of prima donnas the Spurs players are. Seems to be modern disease. If they don't like the manager they wail and get him moved on.

Apparently a very lazy squad too, won't work hard in training, never takes responsibility. If they do get Conte it will be one hell of a clash as he is famously very strict and demanding.

8 minutes ago, TWar said:

United look good or dreadful. For all the bashing of Ole they still finished second last season and have some very good players, player for player miles better than Spurs. They’ll be in the top 4 as will city, Liverpool and Chelsea. Arsenal and West Ham also look a better bet than they do. 

6 minutes ago, TWar said:

Looks like we may be losing our true manager to Newcastle.

A real "one that got away" situation. We'll have to make do with Ralph, a man who wasn't relegated with Bournemouth

Maybe they've got interviews at both places directly after each other. They could share a cab (or jet)

If Howe gets the job, I just cannot see how that would make him successful.  They need someone IMO, that has been there and done it with money before, and is also pretty solid. All Howe has done is show how he can play some nice attacking football, but without being able to defend.  And whenever he's had money to spend, he's spunked it all at Liverpools reserves.

I really did not see Howe getting that job. Wouldn't be surprised if they're in a right mess come Feb/March and end up booting him too.

Howe is a project manager, he built up Bournemouth over time, improving players on the training pitch, when he started to get some money they generally recruited poorly and got relegated. Most of them were lower league players who grew with the club and formed a solid core, so I am not sure he's also that capable of dealing with the sort of mercenary egos that might be the only sort of players Newcastle can attract. 

Newcastle are basically currently a relegation team, their squad is not good enough by the looks of things and few injuries to Wilson or Saint-Maximim, who are a bit injury prone and they are probably Norwich level, so they need someone to quick fix them and get the new players bedded in and working as a team in a better system/style of play straight away. 

Don't see Howe as that person, they needed someone like Conte, or Mourinho, but I doubt any of them would go that low. So I think even with their money they are in trouble, they have to attract players to that squad, who are likely to be in the bottom 3 in January (as IIRC they have like 5 or 6 good teams to play before then) and probably without a big name manager to attract the players in either, with no real indication of what the project or the plan is, whoever comes in might also need to get like 28-30 points in about 16-17 games as well to stay up. It's a tall order. 

Edited by tajjuk

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Bear in mind Newcastle can pay Howe off in Jan if it's not working and in the mean time he can team up with Wilson and Fraser and try and get things going.  He's a better manager than Bruce and should improve them a bit.

Yep, IMO as funny as Emery rejecting them is, and as funny as Howe's appointment would be considering the fans want a "name" manager, I actually think Howe might be a decent appointment in the meantime. It isn't like they can't afford to sack him later in the season if they need a new manager bounce, and he might play a brand of football that gets the best from the mediocre Newcastle players. Already the goal for them is probably securing safety, even this early in the season, and a "big spend" manager may not be the best way to go for the rest of the season.

8 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Howe is a project manager, he built up Bournemouth over time, improving players on the training pitch, when he started to get some money they generally recruited poorly and got relegated. Most of them were lower league players who grew with the club and formed a solid core, so I am not sure he's also that capable of dealing with the sort of mercenary egos that might be the only sort of players Newcastle can attract. 

Newcastle are basically currently a relegation team, their squad is not good enough by the looks of things and few injuries to Wilson or Saint-Maximim, who are a bit injury prone and they are probably Norwich level, so they need someone to quick fix them and get the new players bedded in and working as a team in a better system/style of play straight away. 

Don't see Howe as that person, they needed someone like Conte, or Mourinho, but I doubt any of them would go that low. So I think even with their money they are in trouble, they have to attract players to that squad, who are likely to be in the bottom 3 in January (as IIRC they have like 5 or 6 good teams to play before then) and probably without a big name manager to attract the players in either, with no real indication of what the project or the plan is, whoever comes in might also need to get like 28-30 points in about 16-17 games as well to stay up. It's a tall order. 

They had better pray they can pick up a couple of wins in the next few weeks, because in December they have a horrendous run of fixtures:

Leicester A

Liverpool A

Man City H

Man Utd H

Everton A

And then they come to SMS on 2nd Jan. They could be so far adrift by the time the transfer window opens that they will struggle to convince anyone to sign no matter how much money they throw at them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

They had better pray they can pick up a couple of wins in the next few weeks, because in December they have a horrendous run of fixtures:

Leicester A

Liverpool A

Man City H

Man Utd H

Everton A

And then they come to SMS on 2nd Jan. They could be so far adrift by the time the transfer window opens that they will struggle to convince anyone to sign no matter how much money they throw at them.

Yep, they also have next up Brighton away who are playing well, and Arsenal away, who have found their form as well, so they have to get some wins from Brentford, Norwich and Burnley all at home before that run. 

Even if they win those three, and maybe pick up 3 draws somewhere else, they'd still only be on about 16-17 points with more than half the season gone. 

Ralph touted 50-1 for Newcastle job according to Marc walker @saints marching .. fansided source .. would he take it if offered? How many matches before he could get anyone in? the carrot 🥕 dangling vs reward if he made it to January still just outside the drop zone  He’s done it here .. i reckon he’d fancy his chances .

Strangely, based on me having nothing better to think about, I was wondering this afternoon if Ralph might be somewhere on their list. 

I suppose the questions would be, if they offered a decent enough deal would he go? Would we let him go, and if so, how much would we charge Newcastle for the privilege of having him.......knowing they are "holding the folding"? I guess we could pretty much name our price unless he has stuff written into his contract about leaving if an offer comes in. I'm in the "keep Ralph" brigade but I guess if the compensation was too good to refuse...... All hypothetical of course.

Edited by Saint Keef
typo

21 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

I just don't get why Howe is linked with so many jobs. 

Probably because he took Bournemouth from -12 at the bottom of the 4th tier to the Prem in about 6 seasons.

I agree he's an odd choice for Newcastle in their current situation but you cannot doubt Howe's achievements.

16 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Ralph touted 50-1 for Newcastle job according to Marc walker @saints marching .. fansided source .. would he take it if offered? How many matches before he could get anyone in? the carrot 🥕 dangling vs reward if he made it to January still just outside the drop zone  He’s done it here .. i reckon he’d fancy his chances .

He has too much control here imho. 

18 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

I wonder where Big Sam is on their list. 🤣