The season starts now.

hypochondriac

7 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I'd be disappointed if we didn't win at least three of those. We are better than Burnley, Watford and Norwich, we need to show it.

Think we'll beat one of Leeds and Villa as well.

But are we?.........we are seeing things from Saints fans perspective. Im sure the teams were now going to face over the next few weeks will also

look to target our game as a winnable must not loose minimum. Watford go through an unknown manager at least once every and im sure they wont be lacking in too much

confidence as its pretty much the same team that saw them promoted,Burnley  will be tough as i think they are slightly improving ,and as for Norwich they seem to yo yo between divisions and seem to be content to just keep this formula  for the foreseeable future. So hypothetically if we go on a fantastic run on the back of these fixtures,

do we think the rest of the season will see us going into games with a feeling of not getting beaten but if we do go behind we can rescue things?

17 hours ago, iansums said:

Well that’s not actually what I said but yes, both are very good players doing pretty well for Leicester at the moment.

Neither are doing at all well for Leicester. Vest in particular has been an absolute liability 

On 02/10/2021 at 18:57, Rickman42 said:

It’s always a meltdown every week…

we drew with Man Utd, away at Man City, and were level away at Chelsea until the red card.

of course the big test is to beat the teams around us, but we’ve not been dreadful. A couple of wins and the Ralph out brigade will be back in their box. 

I hope you’re right and I am put back in my box.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2021 at 17:09, TWar said:

Thats the worst thing about today, the season starts now and we will be without our best and most important player for three games...

To be honest, I thought he wasn't at his best against Wolves, has gone back to being negative and lacking any creativity.  Would like to see how a few games with Diallo turns out.  

• Like 1

Very much so, and to be sat with a couple of points with our head above water is probably the tiny positive you can take.

The next 5, for me, are the defining ones. If we are sat here after 13 games still without a win, then we won't have a manager and we will probably be pretty much toast too.

Big couple of months. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Micky said:

I'm not sure if this is a wind up, but if it 'ain't, you are very slightly off......!

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/126561-vestergaard-signs/page/37/?tab=comments#comment-6161780

"Kasper saying he feels reassured and secure playing behind Vestergaard is still the most baffling thing I've heard all season. I'm glad he feels like that because watching Vestergaard play nearly gives me a f**king hernia. "

Pretty much how we all felt pre-2020/21

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Thought it was going to start when we were playing a shite Newcastle...or a poor Wolves..

1 point suggests not and doesn't fill me with much confidence in our coming games either.

Newcastle were quite fortunate, Wolves are not poor at all at the moment.

4 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Wolves were crap against us and still won and before that and had scored in only one game out of five played in the league 😅

Wolves need a bit of context for that. They played United and outplayed them and were unlucky to lose, ditto with spurs, similar with Leicester, they comfortably beat Watford as you'd expect. They played poorly against Brentford but Brentford have had a few good results this season already so shouldn't be underestimated. This is the issue with taking these stats over quite such a small number of games. This wolves side is honestly quite good. They had a tricky first 5 games. And, as you alluded to, we were quite unfortunate not to come away with something there.

Edited by TWar

Wolves were more pedestrian than the fab 4 on abbey road .. still put us away with a route one ball from the goal keeper .. bedders and salli floundering around on their  arses after Jimenez completely done the pair of them .. 

Edited by Chris cooper

3 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Thought it was going to start when we were playing a shite Newcastle...or a poor Wolves..

1 point suggests not and doesn't fill me with much confidence in our coming games either.

Have we ever been confident of a win away to Newcastle? I would suggest absolutely not. Wolves not a bad team but admittedly I would have like a draw so that is a disappointing result. The next five games will tell us how this season is going to go imo not these first seven. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Have we ever been confident of a win away to Newcastle? I would suggest absolutely not. Wolves not a bad team but admittedly I would have like a draw so that is a disappointing result. The next five games will tell us how this season is going to go imo not these first seven. 

I don't remember the last time we got a win up there so I checked.  It was 2015 when we had Tadic and Pelle up front with Eljero Elia who I had completely forgotten about.  

Put it this way, I know we could do with more points at the moment but I'd be happy with a draw.

The positive I am taking is that we only got 2 points in the corresponding games we played last season against this seasons opponents so far.

I don't think theres any question as to whether we are in a relegation battle this season.

We really need to be above a point per game after these next 5, but 3 wins seems difficult to envisage.  

There have been some positives, but where are the goals coming from???

• Like 1

I still believe we shouldn't hit the panic button just yet...

There's no doubt the next 5 matches are all winnable games. If we can gather some points, momentum, and get some confidence flowing through the strikers, then I do believe it will be a turning point.

Our defence looks much better than last season, and will continue to improve. McCarthy seems to have found some form.

With Stu back we will have some much needed quality in the final third. And we aren't relying on one striker, we've got 3 good strikers...they will each find form at different points in the season.

There's not much point fretting until after the International Break. We need a win against Leeds and/or Burnley, and then pick up some results at Watford and Norwich...we'll be fine

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

More excuses. To only take 2 points from  home to West Ham & Wolves & away to Newcastle is piss fucking poor. 

We lumping West Ham in with the bad teams now? They finished 6th last season?

I think it could also be framed as us taking on United, City, and West ham and emerging undefeated.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SalmonSi said:

Not really. 6 points from 5 is enough to keep us up, if we keep taking 6 from each 5 games. I make it 45.6 points over a 38 game season.

That said of course, we will not take 6 from 5 against the big boys, but we may have a better run later in the season when we play these smaller teams again. 

If we get 6 points from our next 5 games that would mean we would have 10 points from 12 games or 0.87 points per game or 32 points over the season. Relegation form.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TWar said:

We lumping West Ham in with the bad teams now? They finished 6th last season?

I think it could also be framed as us taking on United, City, and West ham and emerging undefeated.

You won’t stay up if you only beat poor sides. That’s all we’ve done since The Crying Game and that’s why we’ve only won 4 fucking league  games.

Newcastle, Wolves & West Ham were all there for the taking and we blew it. Couldn’t even win 1 of them. Horrific, but keep burying your head in the sand and keep excusing Teflon Ralph, the unluckiest manager that ever walked the earth 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You won’t stay up if you only beat poor sides. That’s all we’ve done since The Crying Game and that’s why we’ve only won 4 fucking league  games.

Newcastle, Wolves & West Ham were all there for the taking and we blew it. 

Not true, you can easily stay up never beating anyone in the top 6, as West Ham were last season. Especially if you pick up draws against them.

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Not true, you can easily stay up never beating anyone in the top 6, as West Ham were last season. Especially if you pick up draws against them.

Who said anything about beating the top 6. I said you won’t stay up if you only beat poor sides. Unless you think anyone not in the top 6 is poor, you’re talking pony again. The leagues not just the top 6 and everyone else, there’s a tier of teams that won’t go down. You need to pick up wins against these, particularly when they’re having an off day as wolves and West Ham were. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Who said anything about beating the top 6. I said you won’t stay up if you only beat poor sides. Unless you think anyone not in the top 6 is poor, you’re talking pony again. The leagues not just the top 6 and everyone else, there’s a tier of teams that won’t go down. You need to pick up wins against these, particularly when they’re having an off day as wolves and West Ham were. 

The conversation was about West Ham, west ham finished top 6 last season.

Just now, TWar said:

The conversation was about West Ham, west ham finished top 6 last season.

When people  talk about the top 6 they don’t mean West Ham, anymore than they meant us when we finished in it. As you’re clearly pedantic, I’ll rephrase. The biggest 6 clubs in the country. 

• Like 3

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

When people  talk about the top 6 they don’t mean West Ham, anymore than they meant us when we finished in it. As you’re clearly pedantic, I’ll rephrase. The biggest 6 clubs in the country. 

West Ham are, as it stands, probably within the top 6 best sides in the country. Being "bigger" doesn't mean you are harder to beat. Right now the biggest 6 includes Arsenal and Spurs and I'd rather face either of them than West Ham or Leicester (when injuries subside)

26 minutes ago, TWar said:

West Ham are, as it stands, probably within the top 6 best sides in the country. Being "bigger" doesn't mean you are harder to beat. Right now the biggest 6 includes Arsenal and Spurs and I'd rather face either of them than West Ham or Leicester (when injuries subside)

When people talk or write about the top 6, people understand what it means. You’re just providing another example of twisting things to portray Ralph in a better light. If we somehow manage to win away at Arsenal I’m sure your tune will change. 

My  point still stands, West Ham, Wolves & Newcastle were there for the taking, on those particular days and we ended up with 2 fucking points. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rickman42 said:

There's no doubt the next 5 matches are all winnable games. If we can gather some points, momentum, and get some confidence flowing through the strikers, then I do believe it will be a turning point.

Our defence looks much better than last season, and will continue to improve. McCarthy seems to have found some form.

With Stu back we will have some much needed quality in the final third. And we aren't relying on one striker, we've got 3 good strikers...they will each find form at different points in the season.

There's not much point fretting until after the International Break. We need a win against Leeds and/or Burnley, and then pick up some results at Watford and Norwich...we'll be fine

Have you been on those happy pills again?

Boris would love to have you in his team...

@⌗Crises what crises?

@⌗Queues what queues?

18 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Have you been on those happy pills again?

Boris would love to have you in his team...

@⌗Crises what crises?

@⌗Queues what queues?

Same old Saints fan, always negative...

Try and cheer up a bit, you'll feel better for it :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2021 at 17:02, hypochondriac said:

OK so a really difficult start to the season. I'll be honest, I looked at the fixtures at the start of the season and thought we'd struggle to have more than a couple of points on the board by October so in that respect we've surpassed my expectations. Positives are that despite the horrendous fixtures we're not in the relegation zone and now is where we should be looking to pick up some valuable points. 

The next five league games are: 

Leeds H

Burnley H

Watford A 

Villa H 

Norwich A 

These will have a big bearing on if we are looking at a relegation scrap this year or not in my opinion. Big games and all of them we can get a point from at least and hopefully a couple of wins. I'm feeling positive and I've seen enough about us this season to think we can get a decent return. I'm going for 8 points from these five and a bit more comfortable by December. 

Great start then. Gives us some breathing space and means we can afford a poor performance or result (obviously would prefer all wins though.) 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

4-6 points form our next two winnable games would be an excellent return for this run of five games and set us up nicely for a tricky looking run up until Christmas. 

Even 3 points from the next two would give us ten from these five which is a superb return. 

Well I think that's better than anyone could have realistically expected. Fingers crossed we also beat Norwich (would be very saintsy to lose that) and we'd end with a frankly ridiculous 13 out of 15 points. 

Fair to say we've got some stonking results without ever looking amazing? Great to grind out some fab results based on clean sheets. Long may that continue. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Well I think that's better than anyone could have realistically expected. Fingers crossed we also beat Norwich (would be very saintsy to lose that) and we'd end with a frankly ridiculous 13 out of 15 points. 

Fair to say we've got some stonking results without ever looking amazing? Great to grind out some fab results based on clean sheets. Long may that continue. 

Thats what happens when you have a tight defence. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SalmonSi said:

Really? So,  Saints fan thinks his team will struggle and draw, which they nearly did and he is not a Saints fan. How pathetic. 

The only "nearly" for me was Villa were nearly down to 10 men if the ref was competent and it would have been easier. We could have had 3 atleast and I don't really remember Macca having a hard save to make.

• Like 1

Well, it certainly has. Whilst we didn't get wins from our first 7...we still looked fairly competitive I felt, so our confidence hadn't been dented too much - that allowed us to hit these fixtures with our normal bounce and enthusiasm.

Still a long way to go - but if we beat Norwich, we may be 10 points + away from the bottom 3 going into December. That'll may close up a bit in December due to the fixtures...but it'll put us in a really strong position for the second half of the season.

Edited by S-Clarke

On 05/10/2021 at 10:50, Rickman42 said:

Oh would you look at that...10 points from the last 12 and the panicking is all but over!

Got to love a Saints meltdown!