Deflection Tactics

Charlie Wayman

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Really?!!! The championship and league one were three of the most enjoyable seasons in 38 years of following Saints.

I guess not everyone goes just to watch Saints

Absolutely. Going into games knowing we'd compete, signing players way above the level we played at, goals galore, Wembley, promotions, a near miss, no glory hunting fans, etc. 

Brilliant days. 

14 minutes ago, egg said:

Absolutely. Going into games knowing we'd compete, signing players way above the level we played at, goals galore, Wembley, promotions, a near miss, no glory hunting fans, etc. 

Brilliant days. 

Yes they were. But living abroad I didn't get to see many of them. The occasional one that was televised or when I was over visiting family. Whereas I can watch virtually every premier league match, even the 3.00pm Saturday ones.

That aside, I would still rather be in the top flight than trying to get there. I mean, what is the point in celebrating promotion if you are then just going to moan about us not being able to realistically challenge the likes of City, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc, for the title every season? Can't say I remember seeing anyone posting, 'shit, I didn't want us to get promoted' at the time.... (Just St L complaining that we only came 2nd.)

The above not aimed at you by the way; just giving my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Yes they were. But living abroad I didn't get to see many of them. The occasional one that was televised or when I was over visiting family. Whereas I can watch virtually every premier league match, even the 3.00pm Saturday ones.

That aside, I would still rather be in the top flight than trying to get there. I mean, what is the point in celebrating promotion if you are then just going to moan about us not being able to realistically challenge the likes of City, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc, for the title every season? Can't say I remember seeing anyone posting, 'shit, I didn't want us to get promoted' at the time.... (Just St L complaining that we only came 2nd.)

The above not aimed at you by the way; just giving my opinion.

Shame, you missed some really good times. Promotion in any walk of life has it ups and downs for sure, and I for one wanted it and was glad when we got it. The sad reality though is that anything above 8th ish in the PL is a great outcome, and aiming for mediocrity ain't great. 

For me, if we don't survive in this league, so be it. I'll get to go to new grounds, and hopefully we'll get to enjoy the thrill of the promotion chase again. 

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Shame, you missed some really good times. Promotion in any walk of life has it ups and downs for sure, and I for one wanted it and was glad when we got it. The sad reality though is that anything above 8th ish in the PL is a great outcome, and aiming for mediocrity ain't great. 

For me, if we don't survive in this league, so be it. I'll get to go to new grounds, and hopefully we'll get to enjoy the thrill of the promotion chase again. 

I doubt WBA & Norwich fans like being yo-yo clubs. Some may call that exciting but I reckon that would do my head in out of shear frustration. A big turn-off if ever there was one.

We've done our time in the lower leagues over the years, we used to be proud of being a second division outfit but always longed to be in the first. When we made it in 1966 we hoped it would be forever. It hasn't been quite forever but 44 seasons of the 55 since is a pretty good claim. This is where we belong.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, egg said:

Can't argue with any of that. Agree entirely (apart from me going to new grounds; maybe the odd one or two given a chance).

I did get to listen to 'whispering Dave' for almost all those matches though. 🤣

6 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Can't argue with any of that. Agree entirely (apart from me going to new grounds; maybe the odd one or two given a chance).

I did get to listen to 'whispering Dave' for almost all those matches though. 🤣

I'll have a pie or three for you 👍

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

No I said in the last 5 years we’ve been good for about 6 months. The rest of the time it’s not exactly been the watching fast free flowing football you’re claiming it is 

This is inaccurate though, we were very good for an entire calendar year under Ralph. We also had some good spells under Puel even though the whole wasn't as great.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2021 at 15:08, Turkish said:

Just being part of a league isn’t something that is a wonderful achievement. Well it is if all you care about is being part of the brand. I think it’s boring as fuck and not what sport should be, certainly it wasn’t why anyone of my age group fell in love with game. I’m sure there will be people telling me how it’s not the 80s anymore and must move with the times that the premier league is the place to be and not being in it will damage our finances but if you think that then you're a football consumer not a saints fan. 

My first game at the Dell was in 1952. we lost but going with my dad I was quickly hooked. I saw Division 3 south, div 34, and div 2 befoere reaching Div 1. we were known for many years as an free flowing attacki9ng side. also as the Alehouse brawlers by Bill Shankly. I was at Leyton when we needed a point to win promotion and they needed a point to stay up. second half there was a party atmosphere as we both got the result needed. The players I have seen playing for us includes Legends like Ron Davies, Terry Paine, Martin Chivers, Mick Channon, MLT, and many others.

Turkish,

My love affair with Saints has always been there. Yes I enjoyed the rise back from Division 1,and the Championship, but it was never going to be possible for us recently to get close to being a top 6 side. Win or lose I watch Saints hoping for a win. Win or lose I hope to be entertained. Sadly there are too many games which are boring and not football as I like to see it played. Even Alf Ramsey played for us.