Tactics and Formations (Split)

TWar

Just now, TWar said:

Did you watch the videos? And is this literally all you took from the intricate rotational play between different predefined segments through pretaught automism?

Do you honestly think that passing behind players or into channels is a new concept that never happened pre Pep? That giving it a name makes it something new? I appreciate that you're passionate about this, I respect that, but you've shown me in our exchanges that your understanding is very limited to the point that I don't see any point in carrying on an exchange with you. 

12 minutes ago, egg said:

Do you honestly think that passing behind players or into channels is a new concept that never happened pre Pep?

I think reducing everything in those videos I sent you to "passing behind players or into channels" is farcical. Again I have to ask, did you watch them? Do you have any opinions on the rigid rules regarding space occupation relative to other players? Or regarding how a LB might end up as a striker for a bit and the whole team can rotate to allow that? I feel you are only able to call these techniques not innovative because you simplify them to such a degree that your descriptions are completely insufficient to fully incapsulate what is being referenced.

Edited by TWar

15 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think reducing everything in those videos I sent you to "passing behind players or into channels" is farcical. Again I have to ask, did you watch them? Do you have any opinions on the rigid rules regarding space occupation relative to other players? Or regarding how a LB might end up as a striker for a bit and the whole team can rotate to allow that? I feel you are only able to call these techniques not innovative because you simplify them to such a degree that your descriptions are completely insufficient to fully incapsulate what is being referenced.

You're now mixing up passing lanes with other stuff. Movement, passing, players rotating and assuming new positions in the match etc, isn't new. Sure, Pep has honed it to an extent but your desperation to come across as knowledgeable is getting a bit much, and you've not persuaded me that you have much understanding. 

I'm off for an Indian. You enjoy your evening. 

Edited by egg

23 minutes ago, TWar said:

Players taking up different positions and roles all over the pitch you say? Defenders ending up as attackers, you say? A kind of, I don't know,  total football approach?

This is definitely a brand new thing that has only just happened in the history of world football when Pep turned up.

Edited by CB Fry

28 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Players taking up different positions and roles all over the pitch you say? Defenders ending up as attackers, you say? A kind of, I don't know,  total football approach?

This is definitely a brand new thing that has only just happened in the history of world football when Pep turned up.

Both vids actually compare it to total football and say the differences.

47 minutes ago, egg said:

You're now mixing up passing lanes with other stuff. Movement, passing, players rotating and assuming new positions in the match etc, isn't new. Sure, Pep has honed it to an extent but your desperation to come across as knowledgeable is getting a bit much, and you've not persuaded me that you have much understanding. 

I don't post things to convince people I'm knowledgeable, I genuinely find them interesting and hope others do to. And it seems like atleast a couple of people do.

Enjoy your Indian, I'm cooking a roast.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TWar said:

I don't post things to convince people I'm knowledgeable, I genuinely find them interesting and hope others do to. And it seems like atleast a couple of people do.

Enjoy your Indian, I'm cooking a roast.

I appreciate that mate. Looking back, I've been a bit unnecessary in my comments to you. Apologies. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, egg said:

According to Jimmy Case, Bob Paisley was the most tactically knowledgeable bloke he met in football. Prior to the European cup final in Rome his team talk consisted of “last time I was here I was liberating it in a tank, you’re better than them, go out and give them a doing”. He then walked out. Prior to last seasons final what did pep do, baffle the players and pick the wrong side. He got a doing that night. Sometimes things can be over complicated 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

According to Jimmy Case, Bob Paisley was the most tactically knowledgeable bloke he met in football. Prior to the European cup final in Rome his team talk consisted of “last time I was here I was liberating it in a tank, you’re better than them, go out and give them a doing”. He then walked out. Prior to last seasons final what did pep do, baffle the players and pick the wrong side. He got a doing that night. Sometimes things can be over complicated 

Yep, and his legacy lived on after he retired; the Liverpool way. They played brilliant football. I'm good mates with Paul Walsh and he went there just after Paisley retired. They were given real freedom to play and destroyed teams. I believe that the current Liverpool squad playing in the style and system from those days (albeit with current fitness levels) would do no worse than the current team playing as they do.