Sheff Utd 2-2 (p.2-4) Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Funny that McBurnie didn't score, the massive prick.

Home draw in the next round please but we all know we'll get something like Preston away.

Some hilarious pens in the Fulham v Leeds shootout.

Always great when poor buggers who dint want one have to step up

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

City had zero shots. 

Apart from the header where he pulled off an incredible save from where the follow up was ruled out. If the header had gone in it was a goal.

There's more to goalkeeping than saving shots as you are well aware.

We'll win some games at some point, I'm sure. Sounds like we should have won it in normal time, Che should be scoring that in the final min.

Bit worried about him, he's on one of those horrible runs again which he seems to get a lot. Sadly we don't have Ings to bail him out anymore.

Hopefully he can turn the tide on Saturday. Massive game, has to be a win.

• Like 1

Tbh neither CB particularly played overly well today, so harsh to pick out Lyanco in particular. Really didn’t help that they were left exposed on various occasions. There were a few times where Lyanco handled the situation nicely and at other moments he struggled.

To be fair to Valery I thought he did rather decent, and Perraud looked dangerous in attack.

Poor game for Broja, but at least he showed he can be dangerous; nearly scored and nearly set up Adams at the end - but he needs to get more involved, more than today anyway, as otherwise he was anonymous.

And I don’t like picking on Redmond but he was really, really bad today but in his defence he was playing basically as a CM which really didn’t suit him.

Poor match from Saints overall, but it looked like an experimental game for Hasenhuttl as the shape changed about three times, but at least we still progressed.

Edited by Nemi

Not a great game, Sheff Utd knocked us off our stride with the early goal, credit to the players for pulling it back and taking the lead. Frustrating that their 2nd came from a mistake as we looked good at that point. Adams injected decent threat when he came on, should've been 10 minutes earlier. Djenepo had a decent game in terms of effort but relies on luck more than skill. JWP also added quality to the midfield when on. Lyanco and Salisu both showed good awareness at times and some decent covering but also both made mistakes. Not a great match but pleased to have gone through 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Oh believe me, I do pick up on your hidden wit under your shroud of pedantry. the art of comedy is timing and that one was very good. 

Not long now and you two can start talking about celebrating Christmas 

3 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Tbh neither CB particularly played overly well today, so harsh to pick out Lyanco in particular. Really didn’t help that they were left exposed on various occasions. There were a few occasion were Lyanco handled the situation nicely and at other times he struggled.

Tbf to Valery I thought he did rather decent, and Perraud looked dangerous in attack.

Poor game for Broja, but at least he showed he can be dangerous nearly scored and nearly set up Adams at the end - but he needs to get more involved as otherwise he was anonymous.

And I don’t like picking on Redmond but he was really, really bad today but tbf he was playing basically as a CM which really didn’t suit him.

Poor match from Saints overall, but it looked like an experimental game for Hasenhuttl as the shapes changed about three times, and still got the win at least.

Redmond playing badly? Shocked, I am. Shocked. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, whelk said:

Not long now and you two can start talking about celebrating Christmas 

Exciting times! If there is one thing to get you through the misery of January and February it’s the annual Christmas hypocrisy thread. *rubs hands with glee*

14 minutes ago, DT said:

Redmond playing badly? Shocked, I am. Shocked. 

Honestly it wasn’t just his fault though.    The attack was largely static and the midfield was somehow overloaded most of the first half, despite a 4141 formation. 

I think he has his merits Redmond, but it suited Ings poacher style which is now gone, and it’s clear that he will never speed up his decision making, which showed again today, and that will never change unfortunately. I think the lack of quality attacking mids will be Saints’ downfall this season.

2 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

So tonight, JRod scored 4 for Burnley. Minamino scored 2 for the Pool. Charlie Austin scored 2 for QPR. Not a bad night for ex-Saints....But the most important one......Oriol RAMOO (according to Chris Kamara that is!) Well done Oriol.

I always thought Romeu was pronounced Romeoo then I heard fellow-Spaniard Pep pronounce it Romeyou so Romeyou it is.

I watched Lyanco closely for the first half to see how he did. He was very shaky to start with but soon settled. Difficult to make a proper judgement on his first game in English football, but I think it will be a while before he's ready for the PL.

He wasn't at fault for their first goal - it was Perraud who over-committed and let their player get in behind, and literally nobody tracked back from midfield to mark the scorer. Watch the replay and he's just stood in acres of space with nobody getting anywhere near him. Very poor.

The second goal came from his mistake but it was a very good finish, even if we did allow them too much space.

I think it's fair to say that Ralph won't be employing a back 3 of Lyanco, Romeu and Salisu again anytime soon.

Strange game overall. We looked much better after the change of shape and personnel at HT, but I said to my mate I hoped we wouldn't just sit back and try to protect the 2-1 lead, but that's exactly what we did and it backfired. 

Che looked really sharp and had a couple of good chances to win it when he came on. The first forced a really good save and the second was just a few millimetres too far in front of him otherwise it would have been a certain goal.

I have no idea why Ralph persisted with Valery though, and I don't see why he is still getting game time when we have two much better options now. He was ball watching a lot in the first half, and when Ralph pushed him further forward in the second when we went to 3 at the back he did nothing of note in attack. All our dangerous attacks came down our left through Djenepo and Perraud. Valery was pretty much a spectator on the right, occasionally receiving a cross-field ball and then just passing it back to the CBs.

Good to see us win a shootout though. Well done Fraser. The last one I saw live was at Derby in the playoffs in 2007.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I watched Lyanco closely for the first half to see how he did. He was very shaky to start with but soon settled. Difficult to make a proper judgement on his first game in English football, but I think it will be a while before he's ready for the PL.

He wasn't at fault for their first goal - it was Perraud who over-committed and let their player get in behind, and literally nobody tracked back from midfield to mark the scorer. Watch the replay and he's just stood in acres of space with nobody getting anywhere near him. Very poor.

The second goal came from his mistake but it was a very good finish, even if we did allow them too much space.

I think it's fair to say that Ralph won't be employing a back 3 of Lyanco, Romeu and Salisu again anytime soon.

Strange game overall. We looked much better after the change of shape and personnel at HT, but I said to my mate I hoped we wouldn't just sit back and try to protect the 2-1 lead, but that's exactly what we did and it backfired. 

Che looked really sharp and had a couple of good chances to win it when he came on. The first forced a really good save and the second was just a few millimetres too far in front of him otherwise it would have been a certain goal.

I have no idea why Ralph persisted with Valery though, and I don't see why he is still getting game time when we have two much better options now. He was ball watching a lot in the first half, and when Ralph pushed him further forward in the second when we went to 3 at the back he did nothing of note in attack. All our dangerous attacks came down our left through Djenepo and Perraud. Valery was pretty much a spectator on the right, occasionally receiving a cross-field ball and then just passing it back to the CBs.

Good to see us win a shootout though. Well done Fraser. The last one I saw live was at Derby in the playoffs in 2007.

Nice report, thanks.  But can you give a trigger warning if you're going to write a final sentence like that?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

If we’re doing the whole Forster/McCarthy thing again then there isn’t a way on earth that Forster makes that save against City.

True. But neither would McCarthy have saved a penalty.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ButtikonSaint said:

Sounded like a fun game - Lyanco a bit useless but let's hope RH works his magic 

Next round, man city away we beat them 3 nil.... COYR 

Ralph did say in his P.C. last week that Lyanco was a long-term project in the same way that Salisu was/is. Perhaps Jack Stephens injury has altered things on that front slightly.

On 20/09/2021 at 14:34, eelpie said:

I'm also looking forward to seeing some of our exciting and promising options playing, but with a caveat:  not too many newcomers at once without experienced first team players on the pitch. We must keep good shape, cohesion and understanding between the players, otherwise there could be a cup upset.

So the result was much as I predicted.  New players had a useful run around and we (just) survived to fight another day. Forster was the hero and it was great to see Salisu (have we found another Vesty?) and Diallo score. Oriel hit the vital penalty too. But the new defenders were disappointing.

I would have been happy if we could have replayed at St Mary's because it's so important to be able to give our 'B' players as much match experience as possible. Let's win the next round with a just a few of our young footballers in the team.

2 hours ago, eelpie said:

So the result was much as I predicted.  New players had a useful run around and we (just) survived to fight another day. Forster was the hero and it was great to see Salisu (have we found another Vesty?) and Diallo score. Oriel hit the vital penalty too. But the new defenders were disappointing.

I would have been happy if we could have replayed at St Mary's because it's so important to be able to give our 'B' players as much match experience as possible. Let's win the next round with a just a few of our young footballers in the team.

I miss replays, though i understand the season is just too congested/a slave to tv for them to happen these days.

Always was a bit of hope when you got drawn away that we could get them back at ours.

4 hours ago, eelpie said:

Fingers crossed we get Sunderland at home in the next round , any decent opponents and we won't get away with Valery and Gorilla