Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

One issue is that most women footballers play on Sunday afternoons so they and friends and family can't watch the higher level stuff. When Saints played Portsmouth in the cup at Havant's ground last year I saw plenty of local players I know as they didn't have games that week. ISTR but not sure that one or two games might even have been postponed. Obviously the same applies to higher level men's Saturday football, but the far larger Sunday amateur game isn't impacted in the same way.

On 08/09/2024 at 19:15, Football Special said:

Was a decent game overall I thought, Bristol City started brighter and looked to have the edge in terms of quality. 

Saints looked good once settled, missing a bit of quality upfront so following mens team in that regard. 

Hard to know if we were missing any players etc, they announced it was the keepers debut so not sure if an understudy or going to be perm, looked assured no silly mistakes passing out from the back. 

Nice touch at the end players come over and chat to fans, went down well with the kids. 

Finished 1-1. 

Not a big crowd 1622 I think, they must be disappointed with that. 

It's a bit silly that followers don't really know any of the players or what the team needs. I haven't followed it particularly closely but it seems like there's been a load of upheaval over the summer and quite a few players unhappy and then the season just starts with little preview or idea of who all these new players are. If someone does follow it regularly I would imagine it's quite frustrating and probably contributes to the low crowds.