Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Why didn't they get it then?

Because football results don't always work out exactly how performances justify. 

Being a football fan you of course know this already. 

You're just here to make a snarky comment because we're talking about woman's football.

3 hours ago, Streaky said:

Doesn't go to pens anyway 🙄

If you have no idea what you're talking about you're really best off just not saying anything. It would have gone to penalties.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If you have no idea what you're talking about you're really best off just not saying anything. It would have gone to penalties.

I didn't know that, thanks. That's why I kept quiet about it. Unfortunately I couldn't get there last night but I'll arrange things that I get to the next midweek match at St. Mary's, it sounded like a good game, and good to see Millie Mott back from suspension.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67513747

I saw this and thought the ladies were getting a bit of national recognition ,but no. The goal is not even described correctly. 

Tbf it started low down 😂

Sounds like we held our own which will be a great confidence booster, and I'm sure gained a lot more fans.  How strong was the Arse line up?

16 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Tbf it started low down 😂

Sounds like we held our own which will be a great confidence booster, and I'm sure gained a lot more fans.  How strong was the Arse line up?

Probably about half of their first choice 11 and the rest on the bench, most of whom came on. Every single one of them has international caps so a very strong team still.

I haven't done the maths, but I would assume given the age of our squad, the Arsenal 11 will have played comfortably more international matches, than our 11 will have played professional games.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Because football results don't always work out exactly how performances justify. 

You're just here to make a snarky comment because we're talking about woman's football.

You've got an attitude keyboard warrior.

23 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with the gender of the players.

I'm simply always curious about how a team can deserve more and not get it. The object of the game is to score the most goals. If you do that, you deserve to win. If you don't do that, you don't.

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Just bored of people letting us know over and over how much they don't care about women's football. 

I have no Earthly idea how you got that from my comment. I've been enjoying following the women's team more closely for the last couple of years.

Absolutely bizarre take on my question.

55 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with the gender of the players.

I'm simply always curious about how a team can deserve more and not get it. The object of the game is to score the most goals. If you do that, you deserve to win. If you don't do that, you don't.

You didn't watch us lose the league cup final to United and think we deserved to go to extra time, then? 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Good to see MLG-standard pedantry is alive and kicking on here :mcinnes:

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

You didn't watch us lose the league cup final to United and think we deserved to go to extra time, then? 

Admittedly, there are SOME games where ridiculous decisions happen and it alters the outcome. 99 times out of 100 the better team wins and both teams get what they deserve. That game may have been the one out of 100 and admittedly, I did think of that game. There was another one I thought of but can't remember what it was now but in almost 20 years, they're the only two times I've seen Saints deserve more than they got from a game.

I actually didn't say the game against Arsenal wasn't one of those games, I simply asked a question. I didn't see the game and so I don't know what happened to make you think we deserved more. That's why I asked as opposed to disagreeing with you.

Edit: Just remembered, it was the one at Arsenal under Puel where we got denied a blatant penalty right in front of the linesman and they went straight up the other end and got a ridiculous penalty given in their favour.

Also edit: So was that the case on Thursday? Did we get a whole bunch of ridiculous decisions go against us? Again, I'm genuinely asking. Or was it just that we had a bunch of corners and shots that we pissed away? Because that's what fans usually mean when they say their team "deserved more".

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Haha 1

Just checking the fixtures to see why we're not playing today and our next game is 3 weeks away on the 17th Dec!  Then we have a further 5 weeks off before recommencing properly in January.  Certainly illustrates there's space in the football calendar for expanding the leagues

Southampton women's are also still in the competition having beaten Brentford. However they are a round behind due to postponements. Their future opponents are Maidenhead and then Watford.

Southampton are the only town with two clubs left in the competition!

1 hour ago, Picard said:

Southampton women's are also still in the competition having beaten Brentford. However they are a round behind due to postponements. Their future opponents are Maidenhead and then Watford.

Southampton are the only town with two clubs left in the competition!

You do know that the WSL teams enter in the 4th round, so that means Manchester City and United are still in. I would guess that Bristol City are still in along with Rovers. Probably others. Besides, Moneyfields are in Portsmouth so that's two Pompey teams in the 3rd round. Also we aren't a town. Otherwise sound comment. 

😉

• 2 weeks later...

I went along to the game today as a teammate had a ticket she couldn't use and Havant is a cycle ride for me. A patchy, scrappy game in all honesty and not such good football as I've seen before from Saints. The first goal was an OG as the number 6 tried to deal with a wicked cross, their headed equaliser was up the other end from a free kick and the number 9 left unmarked (although good movement). A back post header for our winning goal and although Portsmouth tried hard to equalise our subs helped see the game out, and started to get their passing game together, along with some excellent timewasting in their corners..

Edit: for those that don't know H&W is an artificial pitch which may have made a difference. I've trained and played on it and it's hard on the joints, plus plenty of petroleum jelly needed for your knees to avoid nasty scrapes..

Edited by suewhistle
  • Like 1

Not sure what impact it had, but Pompey's starting 11 featured 3 players who played for us last season, so they'd have good insight into us, moreso than when we beat them to win the title 2 seasons ago. They've kicked on since then, and are top of their league, and now can be promoted without winning the same playoff we had to as two teams come up. If they're promoted and we don't go up, we'd likely get a game at St Mary's next year.

• 4 weeks later...