Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

42 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Women won 2-0 at Gillingham. Up to 2nd place (because Oxford didn't play today).

Didnt know they were playing, but I admit ive been more interested in looking out for their results since ive been reading this Thread over the past season.

really hope they go on and win the league…

10 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Been out all day for Mother’s Day but saw the result coming in. I still think the game against Ipswich will decide who wins the league. I think we will just need a draw at Ipswich, but a win will be nice. 

There's no margin for error as Ipswich look capable of winning all their remaining games. 4 out of 5 are at home and the remaining one is at the lot down the road.

• Like 1

Below are the final fixtures. I have included Oxford not only because they have could have a huge say in who wins the league, but also because this is football and IF they beat us and Ipswich they could win the league, no matter how unlikely. 

Also as already mentioned Ipswich have 4 of their final 5 games at home and their only away game on the last day is at Portsmo#th. 

I still believe us and Ipswich will not lose again this season to other teams, but when we go to their place, it will ultimately be the decider, with a draw enough for us. 

Southampton FC Women - Final 8 games. 

Crawley Wasps Ladies (A) Wed 30th March 19:45

Ipswich Town Women (A) Sun 3rd April 14:00

Hounslow Women (H) Sun 10th April 14:00

Keynsham Ladies (A) Thurs 14th April 19:45

Plymouth Argyle Women (H) Sun 17th April 14:00

Portsm#uth Women (H) Wed 20th April 14:00

Oxford United Women (H) Wed 27th April 19:45

Cardiff Ladies (H) Sun 1st May 14:00

Ipswich Town Women - Final 5 games

Southampton FC Women (H) Sun 3rd April 14:00

Chichester & Selsey Ladies (H) Sun 10th April 14:00

London Bees (H) Sun 17th April 14:00

Oxford United Women (H) 24th April 14:00

Portsmo#th Women (A) 1st May 14:00

Oxford United Women - Final 6 games 

Keynsham Ladies (H) Sun 3rd April 14:00

Bridgwater United Women (A) Sun 10th April 14:00

Hounslow Women (A) Wed 13th April 19:45

Ipswich Town Women (A) Sun 24th April 14:00

Southampton (A) Wed 27th April 19:45

Gillingham (A) Sun 1st May 14:00

Table as today in the link below. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/womens-premier-league-south/table

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 1

Our goal difference looks good, worth an extra point, definitely need to avoid defeat at Ipswich. 

Still think it utterly mental that despite all this potentially no one from our division will be promoted , pathetic especially when Man Utd were fast tracked into the top division. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If they are just falling short, maybe we could shift Valery, Smallbone and maybe Djenepo over their team?

Could be the difference and get them over the line, whist setting the standards for that side of the game!

Might make it worse?

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Our goal difference looks good, worth an extra point, definitely need to avoid defeat at Ipswich. 

Still think it utterly mental that despite all this potentially no one from our division will be promoted , pathetic especially when Man Utd were fast tracked into the top division. 

How come there’s potentially no promotion?

6 hours ago, JRM said:

Take the women's game seriously though.

The Saints Women Development team walked their division this season and beat West Brom 4-0 in the  Reserve cup final yesterday . Two or three of them have made good cameos with the first team . Suggests things are very healthy...

Edited by Lampwick

13 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

How come there’s potentially no promotion?

The authorities decided the top two divisions are a closed shop for some reason  , only one place up for grabs between North and south. 

16 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Chelsea 9-0 Leicester

Ignore that it is WSL and just enjoy the scoreline.

You've missed the best part.

Leicester 0 Chelsea 9.

I watched that game.  The Chelsea team are seriously impressive, as is their manager who I think could probably manage in the men's game if she felt like it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sibster said:

The winners of the North and South divisions have to play off with the winner being promoted.

To be fair, even then its not guaranteed, still have to meet eligibility criteria, though I think Saints & Ipswich would have no problem. The women's game is still in a state of flux, promotions have tended to happen thus far with teams going out of business etc. That's why the FA made it an almost closed shop to ensure the clubs could develop without worrying about relegation too much. 

57 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

To be fair, even then its not guaranteed, still have to meet eligibility criteria, though I think Saints & Ipswich would have no problem.

There was a newspaper article I saw with the Ipswich manager (ISTR) on the occasion of the last round of the FA cup and she touched on this whole issue. Hang on..

I can speak passionately on behalf of ourselves, Southampton and Wolves because I know the work we’re doing and the challenges we’re all facing,” Sheehan says. “To a certain extent I want us all to do well as I know what we’ve all been striving to do. I want us all to get an opportunity to fulfil our vision at some stage. The thought of any of us missing out over the next few years, based on what we’re trying to contribute to the growth of the sport in the long-term, would sadden me.”

• Like 1

Just now, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Game not started on Saints website.

Don’t get me started. Where is the in match commentary? They only need to have someone at the game with a phone. It’s not difficult. I rely on other feeds on Twitter. 

Just now, Dr Who? said:

If I did not live so far away I would offer to go to the games and update the Twitter feed. 

I wouldn’t mind getting paid watching Ladies play football.

I would go one step further free of charge of course, and get some interviews in the bar afterwards.