No Goalkeeper Brought in, Why?

SFC Forever

I get what people are saying about wages, but if it is gonna cost us points, then we simply have to find a way of working it. I can't think of many teams that have a worse keeper situation than us.

Defence was our weakest point last season and our starting defence is probably worse than last season. We spent 7m on a 3rd/4th choice cb, or we could have spent the money to make the first team better. I can tell you now which will have a better impact on our season. A good goalkeeper could lift us a couple of positions higher. That would more than cover the costs of the salaries. Plus if Forster was third choice, we could probably shift him on loan with wages partially covered.

Edited by sydney_saint

Lots on here, have no idea how to run a professional football club, seems they have been playing to much FM. Getting rid of players who don’t want to go, is hard, likewise, holding onto players who don’t want to be here, is also hard. We are stronger this year, than last, my opinion, based on the fullbacks, I also think we will be stronger at CB, again, my opinion. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SFC Forever said:

They get a pay off and then are free to play for another team. Surely even you can understand that. They would still be at least in the same wage bracket and possibly more.

Why would Fraser take the risk, his pay off will only be as much as his contract is worth, and he may struggle to get another job. He may be settled in the area with his family, maybe we simply haven’t got the funds this year to shell out who we want. I imagine we may get Sam Johnstone on a free next year, hence why we need Fraser now for back up. 

I wouldn’t do it, I’d sit here and see what happens. His agent will be doing their job looking for who he can sign for, clubs may have more money in a year post COVID. 

I don’t think it is as straightforward as you suggest. 

11 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Didn't we have three senior keepers on the books as recently as 2018/19? Gunn was signed in July 2018 and became second choice behind McCarthy. Fraser didn't go out on loan until the start of the 2019 season.

We've done it before, and I think the arguments that it's worth doing again now for a year are pretty strong (assuming the right candidate is available).

So who is the right consulate who is affordable? Plenty of people on this thread saying bring in a new goal keeper on a free but who and can we actually afford them?  Clearly we could have adjusted our priorities and found some Money but we are not talking £100k a week plus so let’s have some names!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SFC Forever said:

and you know that how?

Because it very rarely happens.

We have to pay the contract up in full, unless the players agrees to take less, they won't. We won't want to pay someone for nothing, so we might as well receive their services in return for the wages. A player doesn't want to just leave, he will have to find somewhere to train so he can get another gig, he would rather be transferred or stay, so he might as well stay. 

It's a tight rope managing talent when your league pays such high wages, you want them to stay so you get them on a good deal, but the deal is at risk of trapping them here if they quality falls or is not realised.

And that's where we are. In football terms its a risk, but obviously one the club believes it can manage.

Edited by Fan The Flames
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

Lots on here, have no idea how to run a professional football club, seems they have been playing to much FM. Getting rid of players who don’t want to go, is hard, likewise, holding onto players who don’t want to be here, is also hard

FM is a simulation not an arcade game, so those things are also hard to do on the game.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

Lots on here, have no idea how to run a professional football club, seems they have been playing to much FM. Getting rid of players who don’t want to go, is hard, likewise, holding onto players who don’t want to be here, is also hard. We are stronger this year, than last, my opinion, based on the fullbacks, I also think we will be stronger at CB, again, my opinion. 

Out of interest, why do you think we will be stronger at CB this season? We have lost out best CB (even if he did have his flaws) and replaced him with a player that struggled in a poor Torino side. Maybe he will end up as an upgrade of Vestegaard, but his past experience makes him look more like a Carillo than a VVD. 

At LB, it remains to be seen whether we have improved on Bertrand. Bertrand wasn't as bad as some make out, but had definitely gone down from his very high standards. Right back is looking good, but then right back wasn't much of an issue as KWP was one of our players of the season. It's good that we have more depth now, but I think our starting defence is worse, or at least the same as last season which is worrying as that is the area where we are poorest. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sydney_saint said:

Out of interest, why do you think we will be stronger at CB this season? We have lost out best CB (even if he did have his flaws) and replaced him with a player that struggled in a poor Torino side. Maybe he will end up as an upgrade of Vestegaard, but his past experience makes him look more like a Carillo than a VVD. 

At LB, it remains to be seen whether we have improved on Bertrand. Bertrand wasn't as bad as some make out, but had definitely gone down from his very high standards. Right back is looking good, but then right back wasn't much of an issue as KWP was one of our players of the season. It's good that we have more depth now, but I think our starting defence is worse, or at least the same as last season which is worrying as that is the area where we are poorest. 

Our three remaining CB’s are all a year older, and history tells us, most CB’s get better with age. Salisu will have settled by now, and I see a better season ahead for him. As for the new boy, I have a feeling on this one, that we may have dug up another diamond, time will tell. All my opinion.

• Like 1

If the opposition didnt have so many attempts on target we wouldnt perhaps let so many in. The top keepers play behind some of the best defenders in the world and dont get tested as much, they make some great saves of course but dont have so many opportunities to cock up.

We have adequate keepers who are on top wages. Forster is on monster wages and so we cant shift him. 

Ralph believes more in McCarthy and so chooses him, I saw we were interested in Mignolet perhaps he may be brought in

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

I get what people are saying about wages, but if it is gonna cost us points, then we simply have to find a way of working it. I can't think of many teams that have a worse keeper situation than us.

Defence was our weakest point last season and our starting defence is probably worse than last season. We spent 7m on a 3rd/4th choice cb, or we could have spent the money to make the first team better. I can tell you now which will have a better impact on our season. A good goalkeeper could lift us a couple of positions higher. That would more than cover the costs of the salaries. Plus if Forster was third choice, we could probably shift him on loan with wages partially covered.

If everyone does that then no one gains and a lot of clubs get in serious financial trouble. There has to be a point at which clubs say no, it's not safe to spend any more

5 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

If everyone does that then no one gains and a lot of clubs get in serious financial trouble. There has to be a point at which clubs say no, it's not safe to spend any more

I'm a bit confused? Are you suggesting we shouldn't spend money on a player that improves our first choice team, cos if everyone does that then no one finishes higher? 

I just think spending the money on a first choice keeper is much better than spending money on what looks like a third or even fourth choice centre back. 

Buying expensive squad players that don't improve the first team is the surest way to have an over expensive bloated squad. 

Joe Hart interviewed in the paper today. Was looking forward to his last season and Tottenham but had one conversation with the manger 2  weeks into pre season. “Whatever happens you won’t kick a ball for this club”. Hart said that was the only conversation the manager had with him, just the one, and his future was spelt out to him. Yes, he could have stuck around, but he didn’t, and he says he’d have moved anywhere to get away. Granted, a conversation like this doesn’t necessarily result in the bloke moving on, but did this type of conversation take place with Forster or are we too nice? 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Joe Hart interviewed in the paper today. Was looking forward to his last season and Tottenham but had one conversation with the manger 2  weeks into pre season. “Whatever happens you won’t kick a ball for this club”. Hart said that was the only conversation the manager had with him, just the one, and his future was spelt out to him. Yes, he could have stuck around, but he didn’t, and he says he’d have moved anywhere to get away. Granted, a conversation like this doesn’t necessarily result in the bloke moving on, but did this type of conversation take place with Forster or are we too nice? 

Don t you dare suggest this as Forster has gad mental health issues

12 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

I'm a bit confused? Are you suggesting we shouldn't spend money on a player that improves our first choice team, cos if everyone does that then no one finishes higher? 

I just think spending the money on a first choice keeper is much better than spending money on what looks like a third or even fourth choice centre back. 

Buying expensive squad players that don't improve the first team is the surest way to have an over expensive bloated squad. 

You do not seem to understand that club has to plan for the future as well as trying to stay in the PL in order to have a competitive squad when illness injuries and suspensions occur

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Your comments regarding man management do not seem to be helpful and could be counter productive with other squad members

In fact to many they may well be considered to be a load of Old Pony

• Haha 1

It’s a calculated risk as is our transfer strategy this year. We needed to improve 3 1st team positions - Gk, Cb, No10 but we also needed to have a much better squad. We’ve decided to just concentrate on the latter - and actually have also got worse in the CF position (and maybe cb) This is clearly due to finance which must be absolutely dire - that £80m loan is clearly only to service debt and none of it will go into investments.  Statistically you could argue the data backs up this move as a key reason for us plummeting down the table was having no competent back up in certain positions. As others said though the Walcott signing was utter farce as we had enough average no 10s with Moi returning and he definately doesn’t improve that position. That should have gone on a GK.

2 hours ago, John B said:

Your comments regarding man management do not seem to be helpful and could be counter productive with other squad members

In fact to many they may well be considered to be a load of Old Pony

Good point, well made. 

Obviously telling Joe Hart to sling his hook has clearly affected the Spurs players. They’ve only won both games including beating city. 

16 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Good point, well made. 

Obviously telling Joe Hart to sling his hook has clearly affected the Spurs players. They’ve only won both games including beating city. 

Not sure that Hart was a long serving member of the squad unlike Forster who has been here for ages and is the designated Number 2 and is coming to the end of his contract

3 hours ago, John B said:

You do not seem to understand that club has to plan for the future as well as trying to stay in the PL in order to have a competitive squad when illness injuries and suspensions occur

That is exactly why I asked the question. We4 have known for more than a season that we needed to find a goalkeeper that could add confidence to our defence. So in that case why as this transfer window comes to the end why have we still got the same problem.

We knew we had a problem and did nothing to help fix the mess we are in. We all seem to agree that both AM and FF are not good enough. Therefore we should have tried to improve the situation. Even if it meant selling another player, {JWP}?

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Is this a parody post or do you truly believe tha telling a person on 100k a week is going to walk out and accept a massive pay cut just because he is not likely to play???

If he is on 100K or thereabouts no club are going to take him. Personally any keeper that comes to this club is seen as no good within 3 games. Most on here dont really realise how hard it is to play keeper in modern football with the way the ball moves in the air as well as the pace a modern footballer can get.

11 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Is this a parody post or do you truly believe tha telling a person on 100k a week is going to walk out and accept a massive pay cut just because he is not likely to play???

Is Joe Hart lying. According to him Nuno had one conversation with him “whatever happens you will never kick a ball again for this club”. Hart claimed he’d rather play at the local park than put up with that. Maybe Forster is happy to do fuck all and get paid, but that wasn’t my point. The question was, did someone at our club have the gumption to have the same conversation. Nothing I’ve seen indicates we would do. 

It appears some supporters are happy we didn’t, because of his mental health and  his friends getting upset.  

14 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Is Joe Hart lying. According to him Nuno had one conversation with him “whatever happens you will never kick a ball again for this club”. Hart claimed he’d rather play at the local park than put up with that. Maybe Forster is happy to do fuck all and get paid, but that wasn’t my point. The question was, did someone at our club have the gumption to have the same conversation. Nothing I’ve seen indicates we would do. 

It appears some supporters are happy we didn’t, because of his mental health and  his friends getting upset.  

Hart has been put in this position before (at City)which is why he has ended up at Celtic and still letting in goals . He was back up / 3rd reserve at Spurs so no surprise he tried to hold on to some self belief and move on to continue to get game time . 

Forster has just carried on with his contract and gone out on loan or stayed put like Bale so this sort of approach will only work with certain players .