Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread

niceandfriendly

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Wtf?

So to be a true fan you must never voice negative opinions about the club, and you should suck up everything that goes on?

It's not a fun time to be a Saints fan, it wasn't fun during the 90's at stages either. People voiced the dissatisfaction then as well, but does it make them any less of a fan? Absolutley not.

Forgive us 'fake fans' if all we want is a local team who they feel can compete.

Spot on.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hackedoff said:

Good,might send a message to the goons running this outfit.

If that what it looks like for Man United wait until Norwich and Burnley come to town.

Good, hopefully show the idiots in charge the error of their ways.

8 hours ago, nta786 said:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

JWP Romeu

S. Armstrong Tella

Adams A. Armstrong

This is what I'd play.... perhaps even drop Stu into a number 6 position to bring more bodies into midfield.

United looked ruthless yesterday and Pogba/Fernandes were fantastic.

My prediction will sadly be Saints 1-4 Man United 😟 😟 

We cannot continue every minute of every game regardless of situation or opposition with two up front - period!

Ralph just doesn’t get it at all… We are continuously overrun and outnumbered in midfield. We can run harder to overcome this for about 30mins and then we are a busted flush. Teams like Utd but everyone else too including our fans just know we are easy pickings after half an hour but somehow Ralph doesn’t get it!!!

It is becoming a bit laughable the inevitability of it all…

Time for Ralph to show some ingenuity and tactical nouse…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nta786 said:

image.png.5fb10fdd38345b0c230fbb19fb7846c4.png

A fair few seats left in the £89 padded section... 

In fact a lot of seats still left in large parts of the ground, only the Itchen South at the £30 price point has sold out, as well as the Itchen Premium

Quite sad when you realise virtually all of those unsold seats used to be season ticket holders, now moved elsewhere or given up, now replaced by empty seats or new generation corporate customer willing to pay £89 + booking fee. 

I don't think most Itchen premium centre blocks ever went on sale , blocks directly behind the dugouts still being used for subs to sit in? 

There's still plenty of corporate packages available as well, have you seen the prices of those? Crazy, we're not a London club. 

The manner in which United demolished Leeds yesterday was frightening, 5-1 and we are certainly not Leeds. I suspect we are in for a drubbing and the PL scoring record could be broken again. 11-0 defeat not impossible if we start without KWP and a new CB.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, fanimal said:

Christ I cannot believe that the posters on this forum actually call themselves Saints fans!

it has been taken over by pundit wannabes so why even bother?

I am sure 99.9 of true fans would concur

What on earth... so to be a true fan you can't think an out of form Saints are going to lose to a very strong Man Utd? Such silliness.

Edited by niceandfriendly

19 hours ago, nta786 said:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

JWP Romeu

S. Armstrong Tella

Adams A. Armstrong

This is what I'd play.... perhaps even drop Stu into a number 6 position to bring more bodies into midfield.

United looked ruthless yesterday and Pogba/Fernandes were fantastic.

My prediction will sadly be Saints 1-4 Man United 😟 😟 

That's probably my choice of team too. In a "backs to the wall" game Bednarek is definitely needed. And KWP. Could swap Redmond in for Tella as he can contribute defensively, or even Diallo to try to neutralise Pogba/Bruno.

Given that Ralph won't change formation the best I'm hoping for is that he plays number 10s who will do the defensive work and help overload central midfield.

Personally I'd gamble and play livramento ahead of kwp:

Forster

Kwp Stephens bednarek perraud

jwp romeu

Livramento S Armstrong

Adams A Armstrong

• Like 2

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu

Livramento Romeu JWP Perraud

A. Armstrong Adams Djenepo

tight 343 with KWP as RCB, quick counter attacking inside forwards who are good against the ball and Adams who holds the ball up well to give us an out ball. Absolutely park the bus all game and try to nick something on the break or from a set piece.

2 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Given that Ralph won't change formation the best I'm hoping for is that he plays number 10s who will do the defensive work and help overload central midfield.

Personally I'd gamble and play livramento ahead of kwp:

Forster

Kwp Stephens bednarek perraud

jwp romeu

Livramento S Armstrong

Adams A Armstrong

That's a decent shout.

If the team crumbles the way it did at everton after just their equaliser then it's going to be a rough ride if we completely throw in the towel it could get embarrassing again, head says we will concede at least 4 heart says somehow we manage a miraculous 2-2 draw

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu

Livramento Romeu JWP Perraud

A. Armstrong Adams Djenepo

tight 343 with KWP as RCB, quick counter attacking inside forwards who are good against the ball and Adams who holds the ball up well to give us an out ball. Absolutely park the bus all game and try to nick something on the break or from a set piece.

Cant see Ralph going for that.

Logically KWP, Perraud, Romeu, JWP, S.Armstrong have to start for me.

The rest, is based on system.  If we go 4-2-2-2 then Arma and Adams up top. I'd probably go Bednarek and Salisu at CB. 

Both keepers are crap, so just pick one, ideally Forster cos he actually makes saves.  Livramento doesnt deserve to be dropped, but if we're going to play on the counter, we probably need one of Walcott / Redmond on the pitch unfortunately.

It's a sorry state already, and I feel completely deflated about the season after one game. 

Hopefully it's not a complete embarrassment, as it's my neice and nephews first ever footy match...they might not come back...!

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

The rest, is based on system.  If we go 4-2-2-2 then Arma and Adams up top. I'd probably go Bednarek and Salisu at CB. 

Both keepers are crap, so just pick one, ideally Forster cos he actually makes saves.  Livramento doesnt deserve to be dropped, but if we're going to play on the counter, we probably need one of Walcott / Redmond on the pitch unfortunately.

It's a sorry state already, and I feel completely deflated about the season after one game. 

Hopefully it's not a complete embarrassment, as it's my neice and nephews first ever footy match...they might not come back...!

It's my fiance's too, might have picked a poor one to finally bring her along!

37 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Surely he has to play arguably our two best players from last season in KWP and Stuart Armstrong.

I am still baffled as to why they didn’t play Saturday or at the least come on after an hour.

Walcott and Djeneppo just don’t do it for me and should not be starting.

I assume Armstrong didn't start because of his late pre-season.

No clue what KWP did wrong. Looked good in pre-season and even scored.

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I assume Armstrong didn't start because of his late pre-season.

No clue what KWP did wrong. Looked good in pre-season and even scored.

Tino just showed up better in training, apparently.

I don't have any issues with Tino starting - that wasn't the problem, he had a positive impact. The issue was with him not subbing him after 60 mins for KWP.

• Like 1

I'd guess there is also the logic of wanting to show other players who come in like Tino (young player step down) that there is a pathway to the first team. Maybe there is another similar transfer lined up, and it's a marketing ploy to prospective transfers in...clutching at straws possibly!

Would be a shame if KWP spends a lot of time on the bench this season though, as he is absolutely superb. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, egg said:

My brother is a plastic occasional fan so he couldn't give a shit, but I think it's odd that any fan wouldn't be bothered by our team, results, and performances. 

Everton was interesting in that it revealed contrasting positive and negatives about play and individual performances.  With promising new players in the team, I would expect it to take a few matches for the team to gell.  We need to give newcomers in the team some slack.

We've so often seen us do well in the first half, then have no answers on how to defend leads.  Yet we've  seen us defend well against strong oppositions. so it can be done.

4 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Leave out as many youngsters / newcomers as possible, it could be five or six (or worse 😈).

My team:

McCarthy

KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Perraud

Romeu, JWP

Armstrong, Redmond

Adams, Armstrong

So your happy with Mccarthy,  Stephens and redmond 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

McCarthy didn't do a lot wrong on Saturday and until he had a dip in confidence I still rated him more than Forster. Likewise Stephens: he may not look as clever on the ball as Salisu and I know he has the occasional brain fart, but he's nowhere near as bad as some make out. I'm very happy with Redmond at his best, but he's behind SA, Tella and even Livramento for me at present 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

I just don't think it's worth denting others' confidence (Forster, Sali, Livramento, etc) by sending them out to most likely get slaughtered by a team so many levels ahead of us. Stick with the bedded in, experienced players who have the very rare tendency to grind out a decent result (1-0 vs Liverpool and 1-1 against Chelsea last season the only ones springing to mind).

Besides, is Salisu really that much better than Stephens... and to that end, is Forster even better than McCarthy - that one is a real Morton's Fork.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Or even worse, they may end up supporting Man U 😵

4 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Manchester United has hit the ground running and I hope but I can't see us stopping them. A damage limitation game for us. Any idea who the ref is?

You can bet your bottom dollar Mr Deans ball will have been pre warmed prior to going in the hat to pulled out for a marquee game such as this. Sunday afternoon live on the tellybox, and the TV execs dream of seeing us battered, where else would he wish to be to help things along but in the middle of St Marys pitch, with pocket full of brand new cards and a shiny whistle in his gob 🤪

24 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

McCarthy didn't do a lot wrong on Saturday and until he had a dip in confidence I still rated him more than Forster. Likewise Stephens: he may not look as clever on the ball as Salisu and I know he has the occasional brain fart, but he's nowhere near as bad as some make out. I'm very happy with Redmond at his best, but he's behind SA, Tella and even Livramento for me at present 

Apart from fail to keep out 3 goals? The first goal which changed the momentum of the game is totally on him.

I think he could have done something with the other two as well, even Ralph questioned the goalkeeping on either goal 2 or 3.

He did a lot wrong on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Apart from fail to keep out 3 goals? The first goal which changed the momentum of the game is totally on him.

I think he could have done something with the other two as well, even Ralph questioned the goalkeeping on either goal 2 or 3.

I am not a McCarthy fan and remain annoyed that Ralph picks him in front of Forster. However, McCarthy's handling was reasonable for most of the match. He should take some of the blame for the 1st goal, but Salisu also made a contribution, so unfair to blame it totally on McC. 

I don't think that it has been pointed out that the defensive header from the corner was also poor (from Che I believe) as it dropped just centrally on the edge of our box. Not good. I felt that our inability to clear corners early in the 2nd half helped Everton pressure us into mistakes which eventually led to the key goal. 

It isn't surprising as we have lost some of our experienced big (ish) men in Vest & Bertrand and even Ings was usually dependable as the 1st man for defensive clearances at corners. 

We seem to have replaced them with 2 of the 7 dwarfs in Armstrong and Perraud (and we already have a few candidates to take the place of Dopey in the team .....), so we have a real problem with the absence of height and physicality. It needs to be addressed in this transfer window.  

26 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That second goal was a rocket, no way he was to blame there

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

That second goal was a rocket, no way he was to blame there

It was hit well but it was also near post from a good angle, feel he probably could have done more personally. A good GK saves that for me.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Really? For the first, Salisu was to blame, pulling out of a header. Yes, maybe McCarthy could have called, but once Salisu looked like heading it then ducked, no chance.

Yes, for the third he got to it but didn't keep it out. I doubt whether Forster would have done better.

Absolutely no keeper saves their second. Hit hard and in the corner like a rocket.

5 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

That's ridiculous. No keeper in the world saves that.

I disagree, I'm pretty sure he gets finger tips to it anyway but not strong enough to keep it out. Also, it's made to look harder by poor positioning, he should have his near post covered always.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs. Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic