Adam Armstrong

TWar

Just now, Turkish said:

Good news. 2 good bits of business today. Still a little concerned if obafemi goes the other way we have to rely on Long. 

Not really, Tella and Walcott I’m sure are seen very much as forward options. I’d happily see the back of Ireland’s finest goal machines.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Good news. 2 good bits of business today. Still a little concerned if obafemi goes the other way we have to rely on Long. 

I’d be happier with Walcott or Tella in that position. Surely Shane Long’s only role in this team is if we’re winning (ROFL) with 5 minutes to go, to get on and run around a lot to pressure their defence.

Just now, The Kraken said:

I’d be happier with Walcott or Tella in that position. Surely Shane Long’s only role in this team is if we’re winning (ROFL) with 5 minutes to go, to get on and run around a lot to pressure their defence.

... to the Benny Hill theme over the stadium speakers...

• Haha 10

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Let’s hope so. He’d be excellent in a late minute time wasting sub role 

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Not really, Tella and Walcott I’m sure are seen very much as forward options. I’d happily see the back of Ireland’s finest goal machines.

It’s a shame as he’s been a good servant overall. Was a decent signing for the first 4 years or so

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He was actually part of the U17 Euro winning squad in 2014, and the U20 World cup in 2017. 

All that matters to me is that he is not in a PL squad which is relegated in the next four years

Not sure about this signing at the moment as I have never seen him play but the recent two Chelsea signings are great especially the Albanian guy from Slough

Never heard of anybody coming from Slough before except a poster's daughter used to work there and still live nearby however they do have an outstanding MP

11 hours ago, Mr X said:

He has huge potential don't get me wrong but It's unlikely he is going to come straight into the team and be a double figure goal scorer.  We saw from Che that it can take some time to adapt and develop the skills and confidence needed for the premier League.  

Agreed, same happened with Jay Rod. It's a lot of money for us but we have to be patient - Adam and Adams are the starting goal threat for us now, with Broja and Tella in backup. I don't know why we gave Long a two year contract extension, surely he will see it out entirely on loan.

• Like 1

Welcome Adam. A good age, English striker who has proved he can put the ball in the back of the net at Championship level. Let's hope he can form a good partnership with Che and replace the goals we've lost in Ings.

Apparently he has a good engine and doesn't get injured much, so we should get more game time out of him than Danny. 

People that say he's a Championship striker... well yes but that is the market we are shopping in. I'd rather a promising top striker from the Championship than a has-been striker with iffy Premier League experience. Armstrong and Broja give us two new options to replace one player.

And if he's rubbish? Well we can probably still recoup what we paid for him anyway! 😏 

Adams, Armstrong, Broja. Will Obafemi and Long leave? I guess that would leave Walcott competing as our 4th choice striker with Tella, but both are versatile.

Edited by SNSUN

1 hour ago, Saint Billy said:

Why do I get the deja vu feeling that this is like the Ricky Lambert signing?. 

I don't think we need to put that much pressure on him.

Basically in this season we need him to be as good as an Ostenstad or Pelle type - if he can get us ten, twelve goals or so in his first season, with Che, Theo and this Broja lad adding the rest, that should be enough. 

But I know what you're saying - lets hope we fall in love with him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

He’s pleased to be joining a massive club with a great fan base ! 

Is anyone going to tell him?

I mean, we don't want him to have a heart attack when he sees the trophy cabinet or the general appearance of our fans at the first home game, do we?

Edited by sfc4prem

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

It’s a shame as he’s been a good servant overall. Was a decent signing for the first 4 years or so

That's a good point.   I've been as scathing about Long as many others, and even at the time, the two year extension was ridiculous.    He has, however, been a worthwhile player for SFC, particularly in the Koeman, Mane, Pelle and Tadic days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, austsaint said:

That's a good point.   I've been as scathing about Long as many others, and even at the time, the two year extension was ridiculous.    He has, however, been a worthwhile player for SFC, particularly in the Koeman, Mane, Pelle and Tadic days.

I’d say even after that. He was was awful last season and He’s a very limited player but he’s always given 100%, reliable and you know what you’re going to get from him. It looks like time is catching up with him now and in reality it probably at best mid table championship level but fans have short memories, he’s been here seven years and given us a good service. He also gave us one of our best moments at anfield one feezing January night.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’d say even after that. He was was awful last season and He’s a very limited player but he’s always given 100%, reliable and you know what you’re going to get from him. It looks like time is catching up with him now and in reality it probably at best mid table championship level but fans have short memories, he’s been here seven years and given us a good service. He also gave us one of our best moments at anfield one feezing January night.

Yep, it's a "time and tide" thing with Longy; the spring and the speed in his legs seem to have fallen off a cliff in the last 12 months or so.  He has given good service.    And that goal after the run and pass from Sims was a magic moment.    My point about the Mane, Pelle, Tadic area was that he seemed to lift his game with good players around him and it was his "purple patch" at Saints for a season or two.

Anyway, we move on to Armstrong, A. and you get the feeling every Saints fan wants him to do well and hopes he chalks off the first one early on.

Why only 4-year deal, which in effect only 3 years as we do not let the contract to run into the final year? So after 2 and a half year, we will repeat Ings saga? 

It is a mistake to spend so much money to sign a player for just 4 years (3 years for Ings only) knowing that we will struggle to renew their contracts before the final year. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

Why only 4-year deal, which in effect only 3 years as we do not let the contract to run into the final year? So after 2 and a half year, we will repeat Ings saga? 

It is a mistake to spend so much money to sign a player for just 4 years (3 years for Ings only) knowing that we will struggle to renew their contracts before the final year. 

What’s to stop us extending it if he has a successful first year? We did something similar with VVD.

5 hours ago, HKsaint said:

1) We don't know if he's any good at this level yet

2) giving every single player a five year contract would be financial madness

3) most players have a reasonable sense of a career plan, and don't necessarily want the longest conceivable contract. He's 24 and might want a bit of flexibility later in his career. He will also be thinking that in two years time he might want a pay rise, not be bogged down with a five year deal he signed before he'd kicked a ball in the Prem for us.

In two years time, if he is good enough to attract interest from big clubs then a) that means he's scored loads of goals for us and b) we'd get a great fee and c) if he wants to go he'll go.

Four year contract is appropriate and sensible.

Let's see how he gets on, yeah?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Well said, doesn't he also hold the record for the fastest ever Premier league goal 👏

Have to admit I was initially sceptical about this one, given Adams took so long to adjust to the Prem after being prolific in the Champs. But judging by the utube clips AA seems to be quite a different style of forward…two footed and has the audacity and skill to attempt some pretty impressive shots outside the box. He also looks quicker than Ings.

Time will tell, but I am optimistic that he’ll do well for us providing that swagger and guile is not ‘taken’ from him….he needs space to do his thing.

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

And that Arsenal Boxing Day hat trick was special

9 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I don't think we need to put that much pressure on him.

Basically in this season we need him to be as good as an Ostenstad or Pelle type - if he can get us ten, twelve goals or so in his first season, with Che, Theo and this Broja lad adding the rest, that should be enough. 

But I know what you're saying - lets hope we fall in love with him.

Expect could well be on pens if JWP lets him

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

1) We don't know if he's any good at this level yet

2) giving every single player a five year contract would be financial madness

3) most players have a reasonable sense of a career plan, and don't necessarily want the longest conceivable contract. He's 24 and might want a bit of flexibility later in his career. He will also be thinking that in two years time he might want a pay rise, not be bogged down with a five year deal he signed before he'd kicked a ball in the Prem for us.

In two years time, if he is good enough to attract interest from big clubs then a) that means he's scored loads of goals for us and b) we'd get a great fee and c) if he wants to go he'll go.

Four year contract is appropriate and sensible.

Let's see how he gets on, yeah?

Kane probably cursing his agent (his brother) for signing such long contract especially should have factored in Levy as well. 

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yep, always liked Shlong. People still romanticise players like Ormerod but for some reason Long gets a lot of hate, he's been a great signing for us all things considered. Well worth the money. 

• Like 6

Adams and Armstrong have had different football upbringing, one from non-league and from the top flight. So you would expect Armstrong to be technically superior, Adams has made it as he has attributes that have covered for his one footedness.

It's always a gamble taking a championship striker, but surely you lessen the gamble by getting one who has a good pedigree and is bagging goals.

Spending lots of money is equally a gamble, I reckon we will get better value from Armstrong than West Ham did from Haller.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Adam Armstrong