Jose Fonte

stevy777_x

Fonte never relied on his pace even at his peak. 

He played 30 games last season, 38 the season before and 36 the season before that - in the season Lille won the French league no less. So his fitness isn't in question for me. We know he is an intelligent player who can pass the ball and he's a threat from set pieces going forward. 

I'd be all for this. Even if nothing else he'd be a feel good signing that would get people connecting with the team again in the way the managerial appointment should have done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Fonte never relied on his pace even at his peak. 

He played 30 games last season, 38 the season before and 36 the season before that - in the season Lille won the French league no less. So his fitness isn't in question for me. We know he is an intelligent player who can pass the ball and he's a threat from set pieces going forward. 

I'd be all for this. Even if nothing else he'd be a feel good signing that would get people connecting with the team again in the way the managerial appointment should have done.

In French football that has no pace of play much power or aggression compared to English football.

Fonte at nearly 40 is ridiculous and absolutely no sanity to it just ruled from heart. After 4-5 games of getting found out he would get slaughtered by our fan base.

Perraud was supposed to be one of best full backs he does one run and blows out of his arse.

As have said before we could make far better use of his wages on areas we need it.

Edited by Give it to Ron

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Madness if he’s brought back at 39!

Why though? If he'd spent the last 3 years crocked and warming Lille's bench then fair enough but he hasn't. He's still fit and been playing regularly and playing well at that. So in that respect what's his age got to do with it?

People need to move on. But have you noticed it’s a certain age of fan that are desperate for his triumphant return.

Accept reality, he’s late 30’s, yes he would be a great senior voice to have around but that would probably spell the end of JWP as captain/be a catalyst to him leaving after all these years of being the senior figure.

Move on. There’s plenty of others out there if you pay the right wages and steer clear of the Man City play school.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

People need to move on. But have you noticed it’s a certain age of fan that are desperate for his triumphant return.

Accept reality, he’s late 30’s, yes he would be a great senior voice to have around but that would probably spell the end of JWP as captain/be a catalyst to him leaving after all these years of being the senior figure.

Move on. There’s plenty of others out there if you pay the right wages and steer clear of the Man City play school.

Yeah I’m 64 and I don’t want him back ! Him coming back will have nothing to do with JWP going that’s him wanting prem football and no 40% drop in wages. 

Edited by Give it to Ron

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

In French football that has no pace of play much power or aggression compared to English football.

Fonte at nearly 40 is ridiculous and absolutely no sanity to it just ruled from heart. After 4-5 games of getting found out he would get slaughtered by our fan base.

Perraud was supposed to be one of best full backs he does one run and blows out of his arse.

As have said before we could make far better use of his wages on areas we need it.

That Mbappe is a carthorse 🤣

I think there's positives and negatives regarding Jose coming back. 

The positives are he's a former fans favourite, experienced and a leader on the pitch. Also he'd be great off the pitch mentoring the less experienced players we have. You can tell from numerous interviews he's done over the last few years that he still has a great love for the club.

The negatives are he's 39 with question marks over his current level in terms of ability, pace and overall defending. 

If he was to come back as a 3rd or 4th CB option with a view to coaching in the future, I wouldn't be against it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

What age would that be then? Didn't realise people's ages showed up on their profile...must not happen on mobile.

Not sure I’d be comfortable with a 40 yr old CB. Clearly a decent player but will only go downhill from here. Liked him here the first time, appreciated what he did for us and enjoyed his doing well but he’d come back because the championship will still pay decent wages and we need something a bit more long term.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Why though? If he'd spent the last 3 years crocked and warming Lille's bench then fair enough but he hasn't. He's still fit and been playing regularly and playing well at that. So in that respect what's his age got to do with it?

Nothing if you think he’s going to have what it takes for a promotion place. He doesn’t (now).

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

What age would that be then? Didn't realise people's ages showed up on their profile...must not happen on mobile.

What a stupid comment about age. I've seen plenty of people young and old who would be happy to see Fonte return. 

I have no problem with people thinking he may be over the hill. That's their opinion. However his stats and performances over the last few years suggest otherwise. 

If he's on sensible wages and can contribute on and off the pitch, it's a no brainer for me. 

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Everyone said the same about Thiago Silva when he went to Chelsea and he's been immense for them.

Yes physically it may be a challenge and he won't be able to play every game but let's be honest, he's better than Lyanco.

Thiago Silva was 35 when he signed for Chelsea and is a year younger than Fonte. Fonte looked like he was struggling at West Ham when he was 34. If you’re going to make the comparison, you’ll have to wait to see how TS performs in 2024/25, when he’ll be 39 going on 40.

How can you be honest about something you’re only guessing about? There’s no evidence at all that he’s better than Lyanco.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Thiago Silva was 35 when he signed for Chelsea and is a year younger than Fonte. Fonte looked like he was struggling at West Ham when he was 34. If you’re going to make the comparison, you’ll have to wait to see how TS performs in 2024/25, when he’ll be 39 going on 40.

How can you be honest about something you’re only guessing about? There’s no evidence at all that he’s better than Lyanco.

You know we're a league lower, right? Jos Hooiveld looked unbeatable at this level. 

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Everyone said the same about Thiago Silva when he went to Chelsea and he's been immense for them.

😂 Everyone. 

What a load of old pony. 

His last game prior to joining  Chelsea was the Champions league final where he captained PSG, was still playing for Brazil, was about 5 years younger, and was a far better player than Jose ever was . Other than that, I can see the similarities…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

As in you go on social media and it’s those between the ages of 20-30 that have seen him in his prime, believe he is the saviour, and forget that he is a 39 year old now.

Anyone older is rightly saying he’s passed it and too old. 
Leave the past in the past.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

If this was any other 39 year old none of the divs on here would be remotely interested in him signing for us.

Agree with the any other 39 year old.

But I think maybe the point is lost, a bit of identity can’t be a bad thing given our current position. 

• Like 1

As a 1st team player, like Walcott, absolutely no thanks. As a v cheap wage (highly unlikely), experienced head to help out with what is looking like a young team (ie 4-5th choice CB/defensive coach/mentor) then maybe

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

If we are that nostalgic for the good old days when we used to get promoted wouldn't it be better to just bring back the sash shirt?

Would have been a very popular option, over some of the recent efforts if it had been put to the vote I’m sure. 

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This.

I’m amazed none of the Saints Twitter tribe have picked up that Morgan Schneiderlin is also out of contract. 😂

Oh they have, saw one the other day.