European League

whelk

Need the youth to mobilise and reject these Billionaire owner cunts wanting more of JP Morgan’s cash. But alas it will be middle aged fuckers with tv subscriptions sanction it.  Respect to Bayern and PSG as they have voiced concerns about what it means for other clubs.

81279EFF-7FDE-4815-9CA8-F32E2C30DDC4.jpeg

A9C17782-910A-42B3-8A3A-3D3818C04907.jpeg

AA1DD12D-790F-443C-A489-43716AECD252.jpeg

Edited by whelk

My opinion on this is always the same, if they want to go then fucking let them, the domestic leagues will be more open and competitive for it providing we reform TV and prize money to make it more even. 

People say "but the best players will all go to these clubs"...they do already, so we'll just be drawing from the pool of players outside the top 6. 

• Like 9

Any player playing in the league should not eligible for their national teams.

Refuse to sell, buy or loan players to/from them. You’ll get players leaving on frees for a big pay day but may make some think twice knowing they’ll have very limited options of a new club if it doesn’t work out.

23 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

My opinion on this is always the same, if they want to go then fucking let them, the domestic leagues will be more open and competitive for it providing we reform TV and prize money to make it more even. 

People say "but the best players will all go to these clubs"...they do already, so we'll just be drawing from the pool of players outside the top 6. 

Agree with this. An odd comparison perhaps, but I’ve always said the Championship is the most entertaining and competitive league, as it doesn’t have a traditional group of clubs with a financial advantage the FFP rules prevent other clubs competing with. If the ‘big 6’ leave the EPL I can’t help but wonder if the league will be more competitive as a result. 

I fully expect the best players won’t come here, money will still talk just as loudly, but what we’ll be left with is a more even ‘best of the rest’ league. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If it did happen, it would screw Saints financially. The Premier League TV deals would shrink significantly and result in a huge loss of income for Saints.

Saints will just have to cut their cloth accordingly then. I sure an exciting competition will still exist. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Would be really happy for this to happen.  Bored of how it's been for years and if this what is needed to change it then fine. There'll still be big money and interest in the Prem without the big 6. If these 12 teams want to play each other 2 or 4 times each a year without any jeopardy whatsoever then let them get on with it, as long as they are banned from competing in anything domestic and the current Champions League bring it on. I would actually not want to be a supporter of a team in that league though, once the novelty wears off it'll be fucking boring.

Edited by stknowle

1 minute ago, stknowle said:

Would be really happy for this to happen.  Bored of how it's been for years and if this what is needed to change it then fine. They'll still be big money and interest in the Prem without the big 6. If these 12 teams want to play each other 2 or 4 times each a year without any jeopardy whatsoever then let them get on with it, as long as they are banned from competing in anything domestic and the current Champions League bring it on. I would actually not want to be a supporter of a team in that league though, once the novelty wears off it'll be shit.

It would be significantly less. The reason the TV deals are so large is because of those clubs, them leaving has a huge negative financial impact on the remaining clubs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Would be really happy for this to happen.  Bored of how it's been for years and if this what is needed to change it then fine. There'll still be big money and interest in the Prem without the big 6. If these 12 teams want to play each other 2 or 4 times each a year without any jeopardy whatsoever then let them get on with it, as long as they are banned from competing in anything domestic and the current Champions League bring it on. I would actually not want to be a supporter of a team in that league though, once the novelty wears off it'll be fucking boring.

Agreed. Hopefully it’ll happen and they’ll all be Banned from competing in any domestic competitions. After the novelty of the first couple of seasons when fans of clubs like arsenal and Chelsea see their teams struggling at the bottom of the league every season losing most weeks it won’t be much fun. Hopefully all European fans will boycott anything to do with it too and leave the Chinese and American audiences to lap the farce up. 

Just now, buctootim said:

The Prem would have a better grip on the moral high ground if they hadnt shafted the lower leagues by breaking away from the old four division format.  

Did they cancel promotion?

• Like 2

This has been on the cards since Leicester muscled in on their little club. Wolves, West Ham, even Saints (occasionally) have upset things.

Their American owners simply cannot allow their investment to be undermined.

Get ready for franchises to be moved around.

Personally I'd say let them go and chuck them out of the Prem at the same time.

Good riddance.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It would be significantly less. The reason the TV deals are so large is because of those clubs, them leaving has a huge negative financial impact on the remaining clubs.

Future deals would be less.  Not sure how current agreements would be changed.

3 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Unless I've mis-read this, it's an additional competiton rather than the Champions League as opposed to an alternative to the PL? 

Could very well have misinterpreted though 

They need the premier leagues permission to enter, which reading the statement from them they don’t have so to enter they’d have to break away 

3 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Unless I've mis-read this, it's an additional competiton rather than the Champions League as opposed to an alternative to the PL? 

Could very well have misinterpreted though 

The respective national leagues have said any team taking part wouldn’t be playing domestic league football.

• Like 1

Man City

Disgusting greed and 'pretend' big clubs like Spurs and Arsenal take the biscuit.

Kick them out, ban any players from World Cup and Euros and lets see how long this charade exists.  Germany and France have said no so it's not a SUper League anyway, more of a money grab

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

They need the premier leagues permission to enter, which reading the statement from them they don’t have so to enter they’d have to break away 

Yeah thats understandable, if FIFA/UEFA don't sanction in then it'll be a non-starter really. 

Honesty not bothered. I assume there will be a transition period which will give us time to cut our cloth with the reduced money. The gap between the big boys and ourselves is already so vast that them getting richer probably won't impact us all that much. There are only so many places in their squads, so them breaking away won't suddenly mean them signing football legends like Che Adams and Vestegaard off us. Already they can tap up and sign whoever they want from us with no problems. We will still have roughly the same pool of players to choose from albeit a handful of European clubs like Valencia might be able to outcompete us to a few more signings if our income is severely reduced (but then theirs's probably will be as well).

It would also give us more opportunities to qualify the champions league, and even though that too will be slashed, it would still be a decent bit more money. And most importantly, it gives us a chance to actually win things. 

Edited by sydney_saint

Just now, supersonic said:

Yeah thats understandable, if FIFA/UEFA don't sanction in then it'll be a non-starter really. 

Don’t be so sure about that. With the money that’s being talked about th clubs will do what they want. FIFA might end up with no option to back it.

Just now, washsaint said:

Man City

Thanks

So interesting that the big money backed Man City and PSG, that all the other 'traditional' big clubs hate, haven't gone for this.

So it's Juve, Inter, Milan, Barca, Real, Atletico, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, and Arsenal. 

Kind of hilarious that the last 2 are barely mid table clubs at the moment, and nowhere near the levels of Bayern, PSG, and Man City, but think they should be part of a 'super league'. 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Don’t be so sure about that. With the money that’s being talked about th clubs will do what they want. FIFA might end up with no option to back it.

Well, at present the clubs and players insurances only cover them for FIFA sanctioned matches so they wouldn't be insured.

They'd find insurance, but the FA/UEFA/FIFA would make everything difficult for teams and players to go. You'd almost end up with two different footballing bodies and the sport may end up like boxing

The FA/PL seem shit scared of losing money over it though 

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

That time of the year again is it. Bayern and PSG don't want to join as they won't win the league every year like normal 😄..

Bundesliga sides are opposed to the plans because the German model means commercial investors cannot have more than a 49% stake in clubs, so fans hold a majority of their own voting rights.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

A league of 12 clubs from 3 countries 6 from one country where 4 of them are not even in the champions league places this season is not European and not super. 

I really really do want it to happen just so it shows how dreadful it will be - too much objection though. Plus we can have a crack at Europe

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

A league of 12 clubs from 3 countries 6 from one country where 4 of them are not even in the champions league places this season is not European and not super. 

Yep, but if they want to go, let them. The leagues they leave will survive without them, and there'll be more competition. 

The more I think about it, the more I think this is just a shot across the bows of UEFA who are about to announce their new Champions League format. This whole format really hasn’t got legs. German clubs aren’t going to get involved as the vast majority of them adhere to the 50%+1 ownership model. PSG won’t do it as they’re owned by Qatar, who will stay loyal to the establishment after being gifted the World Cup.

This seems like a “look what we could do” threat rather than a plan IMO.

To be fair, I reckon the league will grow without them. You'll have a more even playing field. Clubs like Leicester, Everton etc in with a chance to win things - and everyone else with those late surge chances to maybe get into Europe.

It would make the PL a bit like the Championship, but with a bit more $$. Could be quite fun.

Let these 'powerhouses' fuck off and play with each other and let the real teams/fans get on with the proper job.

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

The more I think about it, the more I think this is just a shot across the bows of UEFA who are about to announce their new Champions League format. This whole format really hasn’t got legs. German clubs aren’t going to get involved as the vast majority of them adhere to the 50%+1 ownership model. PSG won’t do it as they’re owned by Qatar, who will stay loyal to the establishment after being gifted the World Cup.

This seems like a “look what we could do” threat rather than a plan IMO.

Interesting take on it, but it's not much of a "look what we could do" if the Germans and PSG will never come on board meaning there's never actually be able to do something with some of Europe's big clubs. 

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, but if they want to go, let them. The leagues they leave will survive without them, and there'll be more competition. 

yep, there may be a bit of short term pain financially but the league will be a lot more competitive and better without them. Let them go, ban them from all domestic competition and players from playing for their countries.