Hampshire CCC 2021 Season

Window Cleaner

16 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

I don't think so. Which makes the upcoming Div 2 and Div 3 matches meaningless.

I think there is at least some prize money at stake for the Divs 2 and 3. There's next seasons format to consider as well I suppose. If it's the same as this season there'd be seeding I suppose and if it's back to the old D1/D2 formula then then better placed teams in the two lower divisons might get boosted to the first division next season. If it went back to the 10/8 format which was due in 2020 it might be the 6 Div 1 sides from this season, top 3 from div 2 and top side from Div 3.

Do we get Dawson and Vince back for Friday's T20 game?

Edited by Window Cleaner

10 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Hants playing a double header on Friday so they might need them.

With England, India and several counties already having Covid problems I wonder how much cricket will actually get played this summer when restrictions are lifted.

23 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Middlesex are total crap, even good players seem to sink to the bottom there.

They may be crap at the moment  but my Middlesex Member's son born in 1976 has seen Middlesex win the Championship eight times in his lifetime

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

I think there is at least some prize money at stake for the Divs 2 and 3. There's next seasons format to consider as well I suppose. If it's the same as this season there'd be seeding I suppose and if it's back to the old D1/D2 formula then then better placed teams in the two lower divisons might get boosted to the first division next season. If it went back to the 10/8 format which was due in 2020 it might be the 6 Div 1 sides from this season, top 3 from div 2 and top side from Div 3.

I quite like this season's format 

• Like 1

Good day for Hants today. Pulled off a biggish run chase in the second game as well. Great batting all round today, some of the bowling in the second game was a bit questionable though. That said Sussex's was no better. Batsman's wicket seemingly. 

Not sure that we'll qualify for the knockout stage though. Depends on other results as well as Sunday's game.

Looks like Kent, who have nothing to play for (1st locked up), are going down without much of a fight (130 in their 20 overs). Hants have to hope Somerset can pull off a victory. They also have qualified, but need to win to get 2nd place and a home tie in the quarter finals. They just finished their 20 overs at 183-7, so a decent total.

Amazing run, they looked dead and buried a month ago. About 10 years ago they scraped into the playoffs in the last match, and went on to win the tournament. A good omen? Certainly momentum is on their side, and each playoff match is a bit of a free hit considering how far back they were.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Saintletiss said:

Superb performances in the last week, shame it gets so little press coverage. Notts in the quarters will be tough....

Probably because of the endless stream of pointless international series which get most of the press attention. It seems that when a series ends another one starts a couple of days later. Not to mention the upcoming Hundred competiton, there seems to be a lot of press coverage for that.  

The Hundred; cricket's version of F1's sprint race. A pointless addition that no fan wanted. We already have 120 ball competitions, and have recently added 60 ball ones. Why do we now have 100 ball "cricket" to slot into the schedule ?

Edited by badgerx16

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

The Hundred; cricket's version of F1's sprint race. A pointless addition that no fan wanted. We already have 120 ball competitions, and have recently added 60 ball ones. Why do we now have 100 ball "cricket" to slot into the schedule ?

Seems to be all about getting more international "stars" into domestic cricket and trying to promote the women's game.

Now there I watched a bit of the Vipers stream the other day and frankly it's not very good at all. Probably about the standard of Taunton's School second XI when I was in it. Trouble is these ladies are probably getting paid for it. There are probably a few of them who are pretty handy but from the little I've seen they're a distinct minority.

58 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Seems to be all about getting more international "stars" into domestic cricket and trying to promote the women's game.

Now there I watched a bit of the Vipers stream the other day and frankly it's not very good at all. Probably about the standard of Taunton's School second XI when I was in it. Trouble is these ladies are probably getting paid for it. There are probably a few of them who are pretty handy but from the little I've seen they're a distinct minority.

I watched a video of Sarah Taylor's keeping, ( I know, the usual YOUTUBE highlights reel ), and I reckon she would have been quite capable of playing in the County Championship, and can understand why Sussex have appointed her as a coach. Mind you,when "fast" bowlers are delivering 75mph balls, that will certainly help.

Really not great from Hants today. Put in, didn't make anywhere near enough runs to have a defendable total and when we bowled there was no consistency at all. Far too many no balls, wides and leg side balls that were just asking to be clipped to the boundary.

Apart from Alsop, who was missing today, I don't see that we have anyone available to make us look more solid in any of the lacking departments.

Still we've done well in the CC and qualified in extremis in the T20 so I guess we can afford to dip out in the Royal London.

The new bowler Turner did look quite quick and will probably be an asset when he learns to be more consistent.

Anybody else watching The Hundred ? I am finding the BBC coverage grates; with X-Box graphics, 'lowest common denominator' presentation with Greg James explaining what a 'short ball' is, and cutting away from the action to hold vox pops with reality TV nonentities, it is piss poor.

20 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Anybody else watching The Hundred ? I am finding the BBC coverage grates; with X-Box graphics, 'lowest common denominator' presentation with Greg James explaining what a 'short ball' is, and cutting away from the action to hold vox pops with reality TV nonentities, it is piss poor.

Not me, I don't have access to that series. Apparently it's set up to draw new spectators into the game so it has to be up beat and for the masses doesn't it. Otherwise it would just be T20 with a few less balls.

They talked about it a bit on the live stream commentary today and from what I could gather the opinion seemed to be that it was just another variant of the same game which uneccessarily depleted the counties due to the lack of major overseas "stars" ,engaged elsewhere.

Edited by Window Cleaner

38 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Someone should tell the presenters that they don't have to talk non-stop, especially as a lot of it was "banter". 

The only good thing is that it's on terrestrial TV so might get more kids interested. Cricket lost a lot of followers when Sky had the monopoly (but the EWCB made a lot of money of course).

33 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Not me, I don't have access to that series. Apparently it's set up to draw new spectators into the game so it has to be up beat and for the masses doesn't it. Otherwise it would just be T20 with a few less balls.

They talked about it a bit on the live stream commentary today and from what I could gather the opinion seemed to be that it was just another variant of the same game which uneccessarily depleted the counties due to the lack of major overseas "stars" ,engaged elsewhere.

It is free to view on Sky sports cricket YouTube even in France

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Yep, and I feel exactly the same. Aside of all that, I'm not sure what the point is as we have T20. 

28 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, and I feel exactly the same. Aside of all that, I'm not sure what the point is as we have T20. 

Isn’t it just our attempt to have another go after cocking up T20 and letting the IPL and BBL run away with it?

10 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

Isn’t it just our attempt to have another go after cocking up T20 and letting the IPL and BBL run away with it?

Never thought of that, and it makes sense I spose. T20 with a 5 ball over is all it looked like to me. 

18 hours ago, ChrisPY said:

That and ECB / County cricket unwillingness to franchise T20 is Pretty much exactly what it is. 

As it happens, I think it’ll be a relative success in this country, can’t see it becoming Global, though. 

Just goes to show that building a dream team on paper doesn’t always work out like that. Big hitters all failed - couldn’t even get Root away. And our revered fast bowling was totally shown up by De Lange. Tactically they seemed to want to wallop it out of the park from the off rather that display any patience and lost too many wickets. Not sure De Grandhomme is cut out for this format and I’m not sure favouring pace over spin guile works in this format either. Hopefully they have learnt - they have two decent spinners in reserve and De Koch to come in as well. Not sure Jofra will add anything.

Strange competition, as most quality players are in the 100 a lot of these games are down to which youngsters step up and how consistent they can be. What’s frustrating for me is it’s a great opportunity for the likes of Alsop / Fuller / Whetherly / Holland who are experienced enough to shine here. Meanwhile Brave got away with one today - some really odd decisions there - Garton batting 5, the ineffective DeGrandhomme opening the bowling (and batting 7), think they are a bit lucky to have won 2. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

In fairness with Vince, Dawson and Crane missing they didn't have much of a chance in this competition.

All the teams have lost key players. What we can see is not much talent is coming up through the academy.

Looking forward, what overseas players are Hants going to have for the rest of the season? CDG is off to Bangladesh. Is Short coming back? QDC would be good but I think he is supposed to be resting before going to Sri Lanka.

To be fair they’ve done well in t20 and 4 day, but their batting is a big concern when you take overseas and Vince out. Gubbins has saved us somewhat in this competition but Prest, Alsop, McManus, Weatherly, Holland were all below par in this format. Hopefully they’ll learn and improve.

43 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

To be fair they’ve done well in t20 and 4 day, but their batting is a big concern when you take overseas and Vince out. Gubbins has saved us somewhat in this competition but Prest, Alsop, McManus, Weatherly, Holland were all below par in this format. Hopefully they’ll learn and improve.

Some of them have done well on occasions in this series but not consistently. That said the bowling and some of the fielding was just dire yesterday and

there's no real excuse for that. I don't know why Turner didn't play yesterday but Fuller as an opening bowler isn't on. Currie was just rank awful as was Scriven, wayward balls just asking to be thrashed to the boundary by any basically competent batsman. With just 225 to defend they had to bowl consistently on a line and length and they just didn't.

On 24/07/2021 at 20:16, Hodgey said:

Just goes to show that building a dream team on paper doesn’t always work out like that. Big hitters all failed - couldn’t even get Root away. And our revered fast bowling was totally shown up by De Lange. Tactically they seemed to want to wallop it out of the park from the off rather that display any patience and lost too many wickets. Not sure De Grandhomme is cut out for this format and I’m not sure favouring pace over spin guile works in this format either. Hopefully they have learnt - they have two decent spinners in reserve and De Koch to come in as well. Not sure Jofra will add anything.

Got off to a slow start. That's all!

Indeed - learnt quickly getting the spinners in and I read somewhere recently that Jayawardene teams are notoriously slow starters. De Kock made a huge difference to the batting - he plays the situation. Seems like they have taken the Hampshire way of qualifying at the last !

11 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

T20 quarter this evening. To be honest the batting looks nowhere near good enough to trouble Notts overmuch. No Gubbins, is that because he's ineligible in some way or other or just not available?

When did we last have a player called D'Arcy ? ( If ever ).

8 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

When did we last have a player called D'Arcy ? ( If ever ).

Probably never before. Anyway we are getting absolutely slayed so far. All the real batsmen apart from Prest already gone and only 40 on the score-board.

We have to sort the batting out for next season. If we can't get decent overseas players for the T20 it's best not to bother.