Hampshire CCC 2021 Season

Window Cleaner

On 29/04/2021 at 08:19, Window Cleaner said:

A very poor day for Hants so far. Might as well write off this match I think. Might even be a zero pointer, although that would take some doing .

Didn't quite succeed on that, they did manage to get 1 point. Amla (ret. inj.) and Pope scored 75 more runs between them than Hants got in both innings combined!

On 29/04/2021 at 11:45, stevegrant said:

Scott Currie comes in for Mason Crane at the Oval, sounds like a bit of a green top. Can't say I've seen much of Currie, apparently it's his second first-class game, so I assume he must have featured last season at some point?

Scott also played for England U19's in the last World Cup (and had a spell at Portsmouth FC)

On 02/05/2021 at 03:16, Picard said:

Scott also played for England U19's in the last World Cup (and had a spell at Portsmouth FC)

Not seen him bowl. Much in the way of pace/movement/bounce? His bowling by accounts was the only bright spot of the match at the Oval.

In other news, IPL stopped. Unlikely to resume anytime soon with the tragic crisis in India. Means Williamson and the England boys (bar injured Stokes) should be available now for the NZ Test series in June which should be a corker. 

1 hour ago, Picard said:

100? Are you sure?

Well no,  the opposing teams have worked out that all you need to put Hants in trouble when batting is a couple of average, work-horse seamers bowling straight and on a length and flawed batting technique will do the rest.

Shambles 72/8

14 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

I think our bubble has well and truly burst.

Perhaps not. In an ideal world we'll finish them off for not too many this morning, have a solid 2nd innings, rain tomorrow and get a draw on Sunday. Then again they'll probably make 400+, skittle us again and take maximum points..

With the Saints having such a bad time I was taking comfort in Hampshire having a good season I don't know why as we were pretty average in 2020.

At least I probably feel a great deal better than Pompey supporting Hampshire fans who must be gutted after yesterdays results 

4 hours ago, John B said:

With the Saints having such a bad time I was taking comfort in Hampshire having a good season I don't know why as we were pretty average in 2020.

At least I probably feel a great deal better than Pompey supporting Hampshire fans who must be gutted after yesterdays results 

Yes, the two straight losses for Hants is a bit of a downer. I just don't see how we're going to correct the batting disasters against decent seamers on a track that's doing anything at all. At least we made an effort of it yesterday but losing Abbott to a nothing ball on Saturday evening  really didn't help. Northeast doesn't seem to be the solid top order batsman that he seemed to be at Kent.   I didn't watch a lot yesterday but I do wonder if our batsmen are taking the off stump guard that seems to be relatively successful against our pace bowlers.

Edited by Window Cleaner

58 minutes ago, Picard said:

Did you think Hants were going to return to their early season form? (Or just hoped it)

Which is the true HantsCC ? The team from the first 2 matches or the one we have seen since then ? It's looking like we got all our season's good performances with bat and ball lumped together in early April.

Edited by badgerx16

A first innings lead ! Shame Barker didn't take a single off the last ball of that over rather than trying for the boundary again. A century tor him would have brightened up the gloom.

Now, can we get at least three of them out before they knock off our lead ?

Middlesex 3 down for less than 30 would be a great start, t'were it Hampshire it would be far more likely.

Still at least we managed to recover a bit from the catastrophic start, thanks to Vince and Barker. Don't think the rest, including extras, made 60 between them.

7 minutes ago, Picard said:

Regarding tomorrow's weather do they need to finish this tonight?

Hopefully not, don't want to see any swishing outside of the off stump. they'd probably do that if they need 66 from about 32 overs. Wicket looks realy, really difficult to bat on. 

21 hours ago, Weston Saint said:

Good win, now for Leicestershire. First game I can attend. All 4 days booked and seat allocated. 

Hope that the weather holds up for you then. Bonus week, football on Tuesday, I assume that you'll be going and cricket from Thursday to Sunday.

I see that we've signed an Australian batsman who bowls a bit for the T20. Only 7 home matches though, why aren't there  at least 8 as there are 18 county sides?

2 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Hope that the weather holds up for you then. Bonus week, football on Tuesday, I assume that you'll be going and cricket from Thursday to Sunday.

I see that we've signed an Australian batsman who bowls a bit for the T20. Only 7 home matches though, why aren't there  at least 8 as there are 18 county sides?

Not going to football. Gave up my season ticket year before last. Do get occasional corporate in a box.

T20 is based on 14 games so we drop one side home and a different side away.  Strange but it is a number of games issue and allow to include QF in fixtures.  

3 hours ago, SKD said:

Darcy Short signed for the blast. A good signing. 

Provided that he can adapt to English conditions yes, looks handy from the video clip on the OS. That said Handscombe looks a right old duffer with the willow on English Spring wickets. Still, wickets later inthe season should improve.

Doesn't seem to be the best of days for spectators to return to the Aegeas. Delayed start, frequent showers and a pretty awful batting wicket that makes very ordinary seamers look deadly. Now if we'd started tomorrow it might have been better. 

Apparently it's because the New Zealand team finish their quarantine at the end of the week and want to practise on the ground.

In the only match currently playing, Darren Stevens, the oldest player in the championship at 45, has so far scored 160 out of the 183 Kent have scored whilst he has been at the crease. The 9th wicket partnership stands at 134, and his batting partner has scored 1.

• 3 weeks later...