Coronavirus

whelk

3 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

So who here under 50 is going to taking is going to take it?

Assuming that you’re not suffering from underlying conditions that put you at risk from it? 

im certainly not going to. 

Assuming it passes the necessary trials, the only thing putting me off is a phobia of needles. If I get a letter from my GP, I’ll probably just man up and deal with it.

10 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

So who here under 50 is going to taking is going to take it?

Assuming that you’re not suffering from underlying conditions that put you at risk from it? 

im certainly not going to. 

Surely everyone who hates the Tories and has slagged off their handling of the pandemic day in day out will boycott any government backed vaccine on principle. 

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Assuming it passes the necessary trials, the only thing putting me off is a phobia of needles. If I get a letter from my GP, I’ll probably just man up and deal with it.

Ditto. I caught up with an old friend this week. She has long Covid and has been very unwell. 49. No prior health issues. Runs 10 miles daily. That's the 3rd person I know still suffering.

I'd rather take my chances with the vaccine than Covid. 

Where does everyone stand on if it comes to making it mandatory?

im not anti vaccine btw, my kids have been vaccinated and they clearly have their place, but I have a sneaky feeling that they’re gonna consider it, even though it’s been ruled out. 

I pretty sure we’ll see some restrictions on those who don’t want to take it. 

2 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

im not anti vaccine btw, my kids have been vaccinated and they clearly have their place, but I have a sneaky feeling that they’re gonna consider it, even though it’s been ruled out. 

I think if we made it compulsory to be vaccinated in order travel and go to work, most people would probably sell out their anti-vax principles. If it's proven to be safe beyond reasonable doubt, it should be compulsory. What the legal mechanisms for that are I haven't a Scooby.

6 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

I don't agree with any medication or similar being compulsory, that's a step too far for me. If I wasn't asthmatic and didn't know people so impacted by it I'd probably take my chances, and can understand why many would. 

38 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

I fully expect some places like sports stadiums and concert arenas will insist on it for entry,  I would expect a lot of insurance companies will demand it as well for things like travel so although they might not make it mandatory from the government it will be difficult to live a normal life without one. 

anyone know what’s in it? If it contains anything human or animal wonder how the vegan mafia will react?

Edited by Turkish

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I fully expect some places like sports stadiums and concert arenas will insist on it for entry,  I would expect a lot of insurance companies will demand it as well for things like travel so although they might not make it mandatory from the government it will be difficult to live a normal life without one. 

anyone know what’s in it? If it contains anything human or animal wonder how the vegan mafia will react?

Fair points. Requirements to do certain stuff is a different issue rather being obliged by the government to line up and get jabbed. 

A tweak to Raging bull question - where do people stand on having the vaccine if it's a requirement to watching the footy at the ground, or going on a plane? I'd imagine it'll change a few minds.

9 minutes ago, egg said:

Fair points. Requirements to do certain stuff is a different issue rather being obliged by the government to line up and get jabbed. 

A tweak to Raging bull question - where do people stand on having the vaccine if it's a requirement to watching the footy at the ground, or going on a plane? I'd imagine it'll change a few minds.

Fine by me. Whilst I can certainly see people’s objections to it being compulsory by law, if it’s conditional for wanting to travel and gather publicly, that’s entirely the choice of the individual.

Assuming it passes the usual safety tests, why on earth would anyone not want it?

You'd have to be some sort of pseudo tough-guy or selfish un-Christian moron to reject it. Even if you don't think you're at risk (which is a fucking stupid view to adopt given that long-covid is still badly understood) you have a duty to help curb spread by immunising yourself.

2 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

They won’t make it mandatory. It looks like this virus will only need 60-70% of the population to be immune to achieve herd immunity.

3 hours ago, egg said:

What about a tweak to your question...  Where do people stand on having the vaccine if it's a requirement to visit their parents?

Surely the vaccine is protection for everyone not just the vaccinated - the same way that masks are supposed to work...

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What about a tweak to your question...  Where do people stand on having the vaccine if it's a requirement to visit their parents?

Surely the vaccine is protection for everyone not just the vaccinated - the same way that masks are supposed to work...

Academic for me, I'll have the vaccine if it's offered. 

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Interesting findings from mass testing in Wuhan where they discovered that no asymptomatic people spread the virus.

If that's true then lockdown seems a bit pointless for anyone without symptoms.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19802-w

Aren’t symptomatic people at or near their most infectious just before they develop symptoms though. That’s what I have read and what makes it Particularly bad. I think when you are most contagious with the flu you are usually in bed feeling like shit, with Covid you are just out and about like normal.

Edited by aintforever

The reality is that this won’t go on forever and whilst it’s the worst time many generations have had to live through we look back on the Second World War as a generation of strong people who showed a bit of spirit and battled through it. We’ll look back at this period at a bunch of whining tossers complaining they’d been paid to sit on their arse and watch Netflix and whine about how their mental health has suffered because they can’t do what they please for a few months. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

The reality is that this won’t go on forever and whilst it’s the worst time many generations have had to live through we look back on the Second World War as a generation of strong people who showed a bit of spirit and battled through it. We’ll look back at this period at a bunch of whining tossers complaining they’d been paid to sit on their arse and watch Netflix and whine about how their mental health has suffered because they can’t do what they please for a few months. 

Would have been interesting if there was social media in WW2. Posting on Instagram pictures of your potato and powdered egg.

Edited by whelk

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Spot on. Men aren't being taken off to fight / die / get crippled. Women aren't staying at home getting bombed and living in fear. Kids aren't being put on a train to stay with strangers in the countryside. Instead they have to wear a little mask, have to pour their beer at home not a pub, have to have a takeaway not go out for dinner, have to stay at home but still get paid. Sure, there are many people who's lives and businesses have been decimated by this and that's tragic, but those who haven't lost jobs or loved ones need to get a sense of perspective. Others have had - and are having - a lot worse. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, egg said:

I'd be in the front of the queue.

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

The vast majority of the population have cracked on and made the best of it.

Those doing all the whinging and whining are the right wing contrarian grifters objecting to any restrictions and using the Magna Carta as an example of how to undermine the national efforts.

The same ones who were saying how there wouldn't be a 2nd wave and how masks are pointless, how it's just like a flu are now the ones screaming about a vaccine.

They were wrong then and they're wrong now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Would have been interesting if there was social media in WW2. Posting on Instagram pictures of your potato and powdered egg.

A selfie outside of your bombed out home with a status of “how am I gonna charge up me fone now ☹️

as a vegan don’t even get me started on the powder egg and what will those potatoes do to my blood sugar level ☹️

Do they show the breakdown of those that are still dying?

Assume it is still massively weighted to be elderly and those with underlying health conditions. This must be helping (albeit slightly) have fewer people who take out rather than net contribute economically

A brisk walk at lunchtime up the country park showed the sheer volume of people not sticking to the rules. Loads of big groups, parents meeting up with other families and grandparents, no social distancing. 

There were so many people gathered outside the cafe that if someone had put some music on it would have broken the attendance record for the illegal raves that people have got themselves worked up about.

I'm not particularly bothered what other people get up to, especially outside, but it just goes to show how many people aren't listening to the Government. 

Edited by The Cat

46 minutes ago, StDunko said:

What the hell were you googling to find this shit.  It's frightening how many uneducated and gullible people are out there.

I’m not entirely sure if that’s aimed at me or just a general statement, and how that makes anybody uneducated or gullible. That’s a bit thick really. 

Either way that’s a particularly odd reaction. The quantum tattoo isn’t exactly secret knowledge. And if you must know, I read a lot. Especially when there’s wired stuff going on in the world. 

I also have a background in studying patents and their uses, and the details for this were brought to my attention from someone close to me. 

BTW, I would argue that anyone who simply takes at face value, anything the media portrays is gullible and even more uneducated. 

25 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

I’m not entirely sure if that’s aimed at me or just a general statement, and how that makes anybody uneducated or gullible. That’s a bit thick really. 

Either way that’s a particularly odd reaction. The quantum tattoo isn’t exactly secret knowledge. And if you must know, I read a lot. Especially when there’s wired stuff going on in the world. 

I also have a background in studying patents and their uses, and the details for this were brought to my attention from someone close to me. 

BTW, I would argue that anyone who simply takes at face value, anything the media portrays is gullible and even more uneducated. 

The bizarre mantra of the conspiracy theorist, projecting your own gullibility onto the general population. YOU are the one being spoon fed nonsense, WE are the ones thinking critically. If a politician says something dubious, we all have our doubts. We are sceptical of the effects of the vaccine and even something as simple as wearing a mask drew endless critical discussion. However, if an online blog written by a complete stranger says Bill Gates wants to inject the world’s population with microchip vaccines and control us remotely using 5G towers, you swallow the whole lot.

It would be humourous if this bullsh*t wasn’t convincing thousands of idiots not to vaccinate their children. The more this gets plastered around the internet, the more people believe it and the more people have to die as a consequence.

18 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

People who decline a vaccination should sign a waver that says, if they later contract Covid-19, they do not want to be treated by the NHS.

What about people who smoke. They  know they’ve got a higher risk of getting lung cancer, should they sign a waiver. What about fat bastards, or piss artists. The more we spend treating them, the less money available to treat righteous people, like yourself,  who fall ill. 

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

A brisk walk at lunchtime up the country park showed the sheer volume of people not sticking to the rules. Loads of big groups, parents meeting up with other families and grandparents, no social distancing. 

There were so many people gathered outside the cafe that if someone had put some music on it would have broken the attendance record for the illegal raves that people have got themselves worked up about.

I'm not particularly bothered what other people get up to, especially outside, but it just goes to show how many people aren't listening to the Government. 

Cannock Chase was heaving today.

It's OK the car parks being busy as the MTB crowd use it as it's one of the top trails in the UK and is the next Commonwealth Games MTB course but the cafes etc were rammed and there were stacks of people in large groups out walking.

The skateboarding bowls in town were packed too. Not a mask or any SD in sight but as the kids don't use or do either at school it's no surprise they don't outside of the classroom either.

20 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What about people who smoke. They  know they’ve got a higher risk of getting lung cancer, should they sign a waiver. What about fat bastards, or piss artists. The more we spend treating them, the less money available to treat righteous people, like yourself,  who fall ill. 

The vaccine IS the NHS treatment. Refusing one treatment and then demanding another is different to simply being at risk because of an unhealthy lifestyle. It’s a moot point anyway as it’s neither legal nor ethical for the NHS not to treat anybody.

49 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The bizarre mantra of the conspiracy theorist, projecting your own gullibility onto the general population. YOU are the one being spoon fed nonsense, WE are the ones thinking critically. If a politician says something dubious, we all have our doubts. We are sceptical of the effects of the vaccine and even something as simple as wearing a mask drew endless critical discussion. However, if an online blog written by a complete stranger says Bill Gates wants to inject the world’s population with microchip vaccines and control us remotely using 5G towers, you swallow the whole lot.

It would be humourous if this bullsh*t wasn’t convincing thousands of idiots not to vaccinate their children. The more this gets plastered around the internet, the more people believe it and the more people have to die as a consequence.

chomp chomp 

WTF are you on about, I don’t believe he’s about to inject the world with a chip. 

I never said I believe or disbelieve anything. I just posted a link to something that’s public knowledge. Gates has even spoken about it so I’m not sure why you’re grasping your boner over me. 

Edited by Raging Bull

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

The vaccine IS the NHS treatment. Refusing one treatment and then demanding another is different to simply being at risk because of an unhealthy lifestyle. 

What I’m saying is,  if you deny vaccine refuseniks Covid treatment,  to be consistent,  you need to deny smokers lung cancer treatment or piss artists liver treatment. I don’t think anyone should be denied any treatment, but the original poster didn’t . He thinks people who refuse the vaccine should be left to fend for themselves.  

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

23 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What I’m saying is,  if you deny vaccine refuseniks Covid treatment,  to be consistent,  you need to deny smokers lung cancer treatment or piss artists liver treatment. I don’t think anyone should be denied any treatment, but the original poster didn’t . He thinks people who refuse the vaccine should be left to fend for themselves.  

That isn’t consistency, they are different circumstances. A footballer breaking his ankle or a roofer falling off a ladder could be argued as being self inflicted in much the same way as an obese smoker. Refusing a vaccine is different in the fact that you’ve actively refused treatment, leading to much more expensive treatment being needed.

Anyway, I don’t think they should be denied treatment either, so there’s no point in us arguing.

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That isn’t consistency, they are different circumstances. A footballer breaking his ankle or a roofer falling off a ladder could be argued as being self inflicted in much the same way as an obese smoker. Refusing a vaccine is different in the fact that you’ve actively refused treatment, leading to much more expensive treatment being needed.

Anyway, I don’t think they should be denied treatment either, so there’s no point in us arguing.

Another big difference is that the only way to stop this virus spreading is a vaccine so by refusing it you are endangering others.

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

The vaccine IS the NHS treatment. Refusing one treatment and then demanding another is different to simply being at risk because of an unhealthy lifestyle. It’s a moot point anyway as it’s neither legal nor ethical for the NHS not to treat anybody.

Vaccines aren't classed as treatments, they are a preventative measure.

7 hours ago, Picard said:

Who are you endangering? The people who have taken the vaccine?

You're endangering everyone because by remaining a host and transmitter of the virus you are giving it an environment to adapt over time and increasing the likelihood that new strains which people aren't immune to will develop.

Its pretty simple: if you refuse a safe vaccine you are a selfish bellend.

Edited by benjii

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Where are we all on cancelling Xmas then? I’m all for it, let’s have a proper Aussie Xmas in June with some nice weather and test cricket, after everyone has had their jabs.

This. I'm looking forward to not seeing the in-laws this Xmas.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus