Coronavirus

whelk

31 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Just a note of warning chaps;

If you want to quote any of my posts in the next few days ensure you follow the correct protective measures - I have just been informed that I have tested positive.

Can I have your bike? Also is your missus attractive? 

5 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Can I have your bike? Also is your missus attractive? 

As for the bike, which one ?

As for Mrs B, she is, but she has tested positive as well - our son fetched it home from work, where at least 4 other people in his office have got it.

However, there is a flaw in your thinking, I ain't going anywhere, I intend to live to see Saints win the Premier League.

Now go away and sanitise whilst singing "Happy Birthday" twice.

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

As for the bike, which one ?

As for Mrs B, she is, but she has tested positive as well - our son fetched it home from work, where at least 4 other people in his office have got it.

However, there is a flaw in your thinking, I ain't going anywhere, I intend to live to see Saints win the Premier League.

Jesus wept!  How long are you planning on living!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Jesus wept!  How long are you planning on living!

Somebody at work asked me, ( somewhere around 2005 ish ), that same quastion. My reply was that I was intending to live to see the next Millenium - just because nobody had yet managed to live that long doesn't mean it's impossible.

Then again I might have 6 months left.😟

Edited by badgerx16

3 minutes ago, StDunko said:

Seriously all the best, hope you only have short or asymptomatic covid.

Trust me, it isn't asympthomatic, but whilst I feel like a very heavy flu is hammering me, I haven't lost my sense of smell or taste, nor strangely do I have a particularly high temperature. 😷

Edited by badgerx16

7 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Trust me, it isn't asympthomatic, but whilst I feel like a very heavy flu is hammering me, I haven't lost my sense of smell or taste, nor strangely do I have a particularly high temperature. 😷

I know someone who is a nurse who works in track and trace and she says there's been much less examples of losing sense of smell in this second wave. Could be a different variant? 

49 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I know someone who is a nurse who works in track and trace and she says there's been much less examples of losing sense of smell in this second wave. Could be a different variant? 

I don't think I've been anywhere near a Danish mink.

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

ps -get well soon Badger

19 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Sending best wishes to Badger  & Mrs Badger, look after yourselves, hopefully you won’t get hit too hard. 

Cheers chaps.

It certainly doesn't feel like a hoax.

Edited by badgerx16

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Cheers chaps.

It certainly doesn't feel like a hoax.

It’s not a hoax badger, but there’s certainly more to it than meets the eye. This is worth a watch before YouTube pull their usual s**t and take good info down 

At least you’ve got a hot misses, like me. So it ain’t all bad. It’s a tough cross to bear. 

hope you’re better soon. 

Some more crazy rules.  180 kids in year 11 at my daughter's school.  One of those has tested positive so the whole year has been told to self isolate for 14 days!  It's not like year 11 has any significance.  My daughter says she 'knows of' the person that has tested positive but has not been in close contact with them and they aren't in any of the same classes.

According to the NHS, the rules are :

If the person has symptoms

Self-isolate for 14 days if both of these apply:

• someone in your support bubble has symptoms of coronavirus and tested positive
  • you have been in close contact with them since their symptoms started or during the 48 hours before their symptoms started

The 14 days starts from when you were last in close contact with them.

I'm assuming the school are being 'over cautious' as bullet point 2 does not apply, but I guess they are damned if they do and damned if they don't, as no doubt they would be slammed if the kids went to school and someone else caught the virus!

Technically it would take just five positive tests - 1 in each year group - for the whole school of about 1,000 kids to shut down for a couple of weeks!

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Some more crazy rules.  180 kids in year 11 at my daughter's school.  One of those has tested positive so the whole year has been told to self isolate for 14 days!  It's not like year 11 has any significance.  My daughter says she 'knows of' the person that has tested positive but has not been in close contact with them and they aren't in any of the same classes.

According to the NHS, the rules are :

I'm assuming the school are being 'over cautious' as bullet point 2 does not apply, but I guess they are damned if they do and damned if they don't, as no doubt they would be slammed if the kids went to school and someone else caught the virus!

Technically it would take just five positive tests - 1 in each year group - for the whole school of about 1,000 kids to shut down for a couple of weeks!

Two separate cases in my daughters year 11. Carried in as  normal 

How difficult do you think it is to correlate information to reduce duplication or waste of effort ? We have 3 people in our household, all with the same surname, and all with positive tests. We are all following the guidelines, and are isolating for the prescribed 10 days from the onset of symptoms. However, having filled in the Track and Trace questionaire, we are each receiving calls informing us that we are possible contacts of somebody who has tested positive, and should follow the 14 day precautionary isolation.

53 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

How difficult do you think it is to correlate information to reduce duplication or waste of effort ? We have 3 people in our household, all with the same surname, and all with positive tests. We are all following the guidelines, and are isolating for the prescribed 10 days from the onset of symptoms. However, having filled in the Track and Trace questionaire, we are each receiving calls informing us that we are possible contacts of somebody who has tested positive, and should follow the 14 day precautionary isolation.

Data privacy and how the process is set up. The same would be done for example if you have phones with the same provider and they needed to contact each customer. 

28 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

Data privacy and how the process is set up. The same would be done for example if you have phones with the same provider and they needed to contact each customer. 

It isn't a matter of data privacy; Mr Badger of a particular address and mobile phone number tests positive, as does Mrs Badger of the same address, but with her own phone number. In filling out the online forms as directed and required, they each name the other, giving the same address and specific phone numbers. A simple cross reference against information already supplied should be able to identify that Mr Badger of that address and phone number, details supplied by me, is the same Mr Badger / address / phone number as given by Mrs Badger. Particularly as they were both tested at the same test centre, at the same time, in the same car ( the registration was recorded ).

Edited by badgerx16

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

It was mentioned in The Times this morning. 

"test and trace shake-up to cut down on nuisance calls"

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

But each call goes down as a 'succesful' contact.  In a world where 'stats' matter, track and trace looks far more efficient every time they succesfully 'contact' someone.

Don't expect them to let up until the end of your 14 days ;) 

14 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

But each call goes down as a 'succesful' contact.  In a world where 'stats' matter, track and trace looks far more efficient every time they succesfully 'contact' someone.

Exactly this. If it’s anything like the call centre I worked at, the people there will be under pressure to meet nonsense targets and so everybody will be engaged in a game of trying to inflate their numbers rather than applying any degree of thought to the work.

On 12/11/2020 at 17:35, Weston Super Saint said:

2 "7 day check" calls to me today, on different phones, at the same time. If that isn't target chasing, I don't know what is.

I think the reason you are contacted individually is for legal reasons. When contacted, the main reason being to check you are ok and if you need any assistance.  The other is to check you understand the legal responsibilities that you are obliged to follow. 

That, I believe is why individuals need to be contacted, and guardians in the case of under 18’s (or 16’s I’m MLT sure) as you cannot vouch for another adult. 

The call takes around 4 minutes; not a massive problem if you have to isolate for 10/14 days at home anyway is it?

It’s a new pandemic, the world is struggling. Yes things can/could be done better, but people are trying. 

12 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

I think the reason you are contacted individually is for legal reasons. When contacted, the main reason being to check you are ok and if you need any assistance.  The other is to check you understand the legal responsibilities that you are obliged to follow. 

That, I believe is why individuals need to be contacted, and guardians in the case of under 18’s (or 16’s I’m MLT sure) as you cannot vouch for another adult. 

The call takes around 4 minutes; not a massive problem if you have to isolate for 10/14 days at home anyway is it?

It’s a new pandemic, the world is struggling. Yes things can/could be done better, but people are trying. 

But why 2 calls for the same reason, from different people at the same time ?

Apart from that, they are continually giving the wrong guidance - as a positive test, I have to isolate for 10 days from the first symptom, but every caller tells me it's 14 days, which is the guideline for potential 'contact's, and when I questioned what they were saying, they admitted it is 10 days.

When they called my son a couple of days ago, he was also a positive test rather than a potential 'contact', they told him 14 days, and when he tried to correct the caller it was escalated as his being uncooperative; 15 minutes later the caller got back in contact to say that he had referred it up to his supervisor and she had had to double check to find out what the rules are.

Edited by badgerx16

17 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

But why 2 calls for the same reason, from different people at the same time ?

Apart from that, they are continually giving the wrong guidance - as a positive test, I have to isolate for 10 days from the first symptom, but every caller tells me it's 14 days, which is the guideline for potential 'contact's, and when I questioned what they were saying, they admitted it is 10 days.

When they called my son a couple of days ago, he was also a positive test rather than a potential 'contact', they told him 14 days, and when he tried to correct the caller it was escalated as his being uncooperative; 15 minutes later the caller got back in contact to say that he had referred it up to his supervisor and she had had to double check to find out what the rules are.

Some calls may seem they are for the same reason initially, but are from different areas that become apparent further in the call. 

Or yes, it could be a mistake and the computer has scheduled the call incorrectly  or the person doing the first call didn’t sign the call off properly. 

It’s not perfect, but nor it seems is any other countries. People are doing their best in these hard times. 

Hopefully lessons learnt in case anything like this happens again!

1 minute ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Some calls may seem they are for the same reason initially, but are from different areas that become apparent further in the call. 

When the second call came in, as I was talking to the first, the second caller asked me to check with the first whether that call ( the first ) was the 7-day check, and the first caller said it was, so the second one then said that that was also her purpose and signed off.

Just now, ecuk268 said:

They give the impression that they are working strictly off a script, they certainly don't come across as understanding health matters, and the IT is at best flakey. If this is what it is like now, how bad was it when first launched ?

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

When the second call came in, as I was talking to the first, the second caller asked me to check with the first whether that call ( the first ) was the 7-day check, and the first caller said it was, so the second one then said that that was also her purpose and signed off.

As I said, some calls 😂🤣😂

19 hours ago, whelk said:

How much contact leads to someone to be contacted by track and trace?

if office open and one person tests positive how many in the workplace woudl be told to self isolate?

Anyone that was less  than 2 metres for 15 minutes. 
Anyone that was less  than 1 metre for 1 minute. 
Anyone that had a face to face conversation at close quarters. 

Being in the same room is not grounds to isolate. 

Is this a step too far?  Should the Government be deciding what people should and shouldn't believe?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54947661

Emergency laws to "stamp out dangerous" anti-vaccine content online should be introduced, Labour has said.

The party is calling for financial and criminal penalties for social media firms that do not remove false scare stories about vaccines.

15 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Anyone that was less  than 2 metres for 15 minutes. 
Anyone that was less  than 1 metre for 1 minute. 
Anyone that had a face to face conversation at close quarters. 

Being in the same room is not grounds to isolate. 

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is this a step too far?  Should the Government be deciding what people should and shouldn't believe?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54947661

Will feed the nutters who think everything is one big conspiracy anyway and their free speech is being stifled.

Although I despair at the state of intelligence across the world not helped by everyone’s addiction t9 their mobile phones.

5 minutes ago, whelk said:

Will feed the nutters who think everything is one big conspiracy anyway and their free speech is being stifled.

Although I despair at the state of intelligence across the world not helped by everyone’s addiction t9 their mobile phones.

Not sure why mobile phones limit intelligence. If anything it has expanded knowledge as long as you are aware of the pitfalls of an echo chamber and use a range of sources. I think you'd find that general ignorance was probably a fair bit higher about certain matters a few decades ago. 

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure why mobile phones limit intelligence. If anything it has expanded knowledge as long as you are aware of the pitfalls of an echo chamber and use a range of sources. I think you'd find that general ignorance was probably a fair bit higher about certain matters a few decades ago. 

This is probably fair assumption - lots of great info online (for practical tasks especially and for research and for advocating freedoms eg Arab Spring which couldn’t have happened without it) but can be conversely used for spreading extremist material, leading to radicalisation, terrorism and deliberate misinformation. Of course, the traditional media could be used historically to make claims to large audiences but there was more chance of genuine inaccurate claims being challenged by better journalists or experts in the field.

People vulnerable to joining outlying movements have always been there - Mansons, Jones, Waco, QAnon is an online version of a cult. I think what many people are now turned off social media by is the fact you can see all of the circular and most partisan of online squabbling within echo chambers and across Twitter. My own use of platforms is strictly professional - I don’t use it for personal things full stop. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus