Coronavirus

whelk

43 minutes ago, aintforever said:

The biggest cry babies seem to be Tories from what I can see. Charles Walker calls for ‘route back to normality:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1396087/summer-holidays-2021-travel-warning-coronavirus-charles-walker-shapps-latest-vn

or maybe not

Get rid of mixed messaging on holidays, Sir Keir Starmer tells ministers (telegraph.co.uk)

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

So it's nothing to do with left or right then, some people moan about restrictions, some don't.

Brilliant, great thread.

You said it was tories who were the biggest cry babies because you found ONE who moaned about it, you were wrong. As usual. Great point pal. 🤣

Edited by Turkish

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You said it was tories who were the biggest cry babies because you found ONE who moaned about it, you were wrong. As usual. Great point pal. 🤣

Starmer probably has a valid point though. Wether you agree with the restrictions or not, sending out mixed messages is not very clever because some people obviously take notice of what they say.

I've booked a few holidays, but then I made a point of not listening to Bozo after the Cummings fiasco.

34 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Starmer probably has a valid point though. Wether you agree with the restrictions or not, sending out mixed messages is not very clever because some people obviously take notice of what they say.

I've booked a few holidays, but then I made a point of not listening to Bozo after the Cummings fiasco.

Does that not also mean the Tory guy has a valid point?

It’s not mixed messages, it’s 4 people giving their view on something which is impossible to predict. 

ive booked a couple of holidays because I don’t need anyone to tell me what time to get up in the morning

Edited by Turkish

6 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

So we can conclude that this is a cross party issues, some on the left and the right demand clear guidance and exit plans and some on the left and right don't.

Everyone can stop google searching for links now and go back to tiktox, it's friday afternoon after all.

Happy Youtube GIF by Rosanna Pansino

The only clarification needed is the Government’s end game. At what point will they let life return to normal, normal as in pre 2020 normal. Is it when deaths and hospitalisations are at flu levels, is it when they’re at road traffic accident levels, is it zero Covid, is it when vulnerable are vaccinated or when all adults are vaccinated. If they laid there end goal out, then people don’t need “road maps” to get there. They can work it out for themselves.

There’s a lack of clarity as to what they’re trying to achieve, apart from “save lives”, which is woolly. What is success, what are the circumstances they’ll declare it over. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The only clarification needed is the Government’s end game. At what point will they let life return to normal, normal as in pre 2020 normal. Is it when deaths and hospitalisations are at flu levels, is it when they’re at road traffic accident levels, is it zero Covid, is it when vulnerable are vaccinated or when all adults are vaccinated. If they laid there end goal out, then people don’t need “road maps” to get there. They can work it out for themselves.

There’s a lack of clarity as to what they’re trying to achieve, apart from “save lives”, which is woolly. What is success, what are the circumstances they’ll declare it over. 

I think it’ll be like a tap, they’ll keep gradually turning on and waiting for the water level to stabilise. The deciding factor will be what they think the NHS can cope with long term. I think we’ll get to a point where 99% of fatalities were on their way out this year anyway. If anything this might actually help reduce hospital loads in the long term. If people who would have otherwise needed months of chemo and surgery for lung cancer instead drop dead after a week in a Covid ward, we might see a shift in our treatment of the elderly.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Whist i dont disagree with any of what you say, again whatever they do people will complain. If they say zero restrictions when everyone is vaccinated but then there is still a lot of hospitalisations people will be all over it says they didn't prepare properly, Boris is killing people, if they say there will still be some restrictions when everyone is vaccinated, people will slag them off for not lifting them. They've already alluded to the fact that in the future it'll have to be managed like Flu is now, we'll have to live with it by vaccinations and less serve symptoms rather than total eradication. Until they know for sure though how the vaccines are working they cant really give any clarification as whatever they set out if the situation changes or they aren't able to deliver on that date, history tells us everyone will be up in arms about it. By the end of March you'd think over 1/3 of the country will be vaccinated with several months data on how people are responding. I cant really see to much harm in people being patient for a bit in the mean time using their common sense to live their lives. 

Edited by Turkish

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

That's because DfE are briefing jurnos about what they want to happen instead of telling parliament.

For example, primary returning on the 8th but not secondary and tertiary, who return post Easter.

Then it's primary and Y11 and 13 returning on March 8th despite exams being cancelled.

Then it's primary and Y10 and Y12 and not Y11 & 13.

Then it's no one until after Easter.

Then it's "depends on each regions R rate".

Causes confusion.

Simple messages setting out plans with ideal dates with alternatives and not briefings off the recorded to pet mouth pieces.

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

So we can conclude that this is a cross party issues, some on the left and the right demand clear guidance and exit plans and some on the left and right don't.

Everyone can stop google searching for links now and go back to tiktox, it's friday afternoon after all.

Exactly.

I guess the Furlough scheme is probably the biggest indicator of when a lot of restrictions will  end. Once it was extended till the end of April it was pretty much nailed on that there’d be no semblance of normality before then. If they still intend to wind it up at the end of April, summer could be somewhere near normal. 

8 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You really think they've thought as far ahead as any sort of end-game? Next week seems to be a stretch too far.

Hotel quarantine starts on Monday morning, punters can't access any info or make reservations. As of 5pm on Friday afternoon Borderforce have had precisely 'no' information at all about what the system is, how it works, and what there role is to be. Oh well, guess management will be getting copious emails/guidance/webinars over the weekend so staff can be right on it first thing Monday am. Be fair though, they've only had 12 months notice that this is a process we will likely have to follow at some stage.

Many of the hotels selected for isolation appear to have central air conditioning rather than individual units and venting for each room. 10 days of having the air from the rooms of people in isolation pumped into your space. Full marks for designing an infection machine. 

• Like 1

Looks like most parameters are consistently dropping by around 1/3 each week, which gives us a few options when we’re that happy hospital numbers are under control.

Another promising sign from the stats is that whilst the number of people in hospital is roughly similar to the peak levels from April, the 7 day average for deaths is significantly lower. This would suggest to me that the improvements in treatment (I believe one drug was thought to reduce deaths by 20%) are having a noticeable affect on fatalities.

13 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Or just being truthful...

I don't think anyone will argue that people who end up in hospital with covid are generally over 50.

75% of over 50s are over weight More info here

It stands to reason that nearly everyone in covid wards are over weight....

That's why they call you thick. 85% of patients are car drivers. 90% have kids. By your logic If you've got a Mondeo and a daughter you're bound to die of covid. 

25 minutes ago, buctootim said:

That's why they call you thick. 85% of patients are car drivers. 90% have kids. By your logic If you've got a Mondeo and a daughter you're bound to die of covid. 

You're all over the place pal, maybe it's time to dig up the enormously funny whataboutery image?

To put it in simple terms for you : Statistically you are more likely to die from Covid complications aged 75 and over (I'm hoping that even you will accept that without having to have links to the proof, especially given the vaccine priorities).  Also, statistically, as previously posted and laid out in the link provided, 74% of the UK population aged over 75 are classed as overweight or obese (if you want to argue with that, take it up with the Commons!).

Therefore, statistically, it stands to reason that by the law of averages 74% of those aged over 75 in hospital with covid related illnesses are overweight or obese - these are statistical facts that endorse the view of Whelk's post which stated :

someone I know who has senior role at Soton General said nearly everyone in the Covid wards are overweight.

What the fuck are you babbling on about with cars and kids or are you just trying to pull your own pants down again by proving you haven't really understood the current discussion?

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You're all over the place pal, maybe it's time to dig up the enormously funny whataboutery image?

To put it in simple terms for you : Statistically you are more likely to die from Covid complications aged 75 and over (I'm hoping that even you will accept that without having to have links to the proof, especially given the vaccine priorities).  Also, statistically, as previously posted and laid out in the link provided, 74% of the UK population aged over 75 are classed as overweight or obese (if you want to argue with that, take it up with the Commons!).

Therefore, statistically, it stands to reason that by the law of averages 74% of those aged over 75 in hospital with covid related illnesses are overweight or obese - these are statistical facts that endorse the view of Whelk's post which stated :

What the fuck are you babbling on about with cars and kids or are you just trying to pull your own pants down again by proving you haven't really understood the current discussion?

I just love the way Timmy calls other people thick before banging on about some completely irrelevant statistic about car drivers and kids. Never fails to provide some amusement. 

6 minutes ago, whelk said:

I drove a Mondeo for a few months years ago and have two daughters. Do I qualify to get my jab early?

Timmy thinks you should be in the top 4 tiers pal, best get in that long queue behind the one nurse in your local GPs doing the jabs.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Another new strain then. Back in the summer we were told viruses mutate all the time, this is perfectly normal and expected. All viruses do this. Yet now there is a headline and panic every single time they find a new strain it seems.......

New Covid strain detected in the UK and should be surge tested, experts warn (msn.com)

The control freaks are desperate to keep their chains around our necks. If Spanish Flu hadn’t mutated then it would still be with us.

33 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Christ if we’re going to hear about every single mutation then we’d might as well all give up. 

It's the panic that every mutation is worse than the one before it, the headline news and details as to how many cases they found and where it came from, all for something only a few months ago they explained away as being perfectly normal. 

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The control freaks are desperate to keep their chains around our necks. If Spanish Flu hadn’t mutated then it would still be with us.

Who are they then? It’s the media pushing these stories, not the politicians. They are the the ones with something to gain from panic inducing scare stories. The people who actually ‘control’ us, if you want to call it that, want the country open ASAP.

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Who are they then? It’s the media pushing these stories, not the politicians. They are the the ones with something to gain from panic inducing scare stories. The people who actually ‘control’ us, if you want to call it that, want the country open ASAP.

There is a section of the Government who are enjoying their new-found powers. Aided and abetted by their tame scientists who don't have to take account of the wider picture. 

The media have a lot to answer for in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

4 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Ah two pig shit thicks for the price of one. FYI he didn't claim overweight people were more likely to die of covid - thats so fucking well known even you two have grasped it. He said "75% of over 50s are over weight....it stands to reason that nearly everyone in covid wards are over weight".  That's what you call a false or spurious correlation, just like owning a mondeo. 

https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

image.thumb.png.9bafb9616a0fa56f50634f831b6ca10c.png

Edited by buctootim

3 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Ah two pig shit thicks for the price of one. FYI he didn't claim overweight people were more likely to die of covid - thats so fucking well known even you two have grasped it. He said "75% of over 50s are over weight....it stands to reason that nearly everyone in covid wards are over weight".  That's what you call a false or spurious correlation, just like owning a mondeo. 

https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

image.thumb.png.0bf2469c53007f2e919b9da7e67dff96.png

So angry Timmy, is everything alright at home?

15 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

There is a section of the Government who are enjoying their new-found powers. Aided and abetted by their tame scientists who don't have to take account of the wider picture. 

The media have a lot to answer for in my opinion.

In what way? What are they getting out of us that they couldn’t dream of with a thriving, open economy?

Of course being overweight is bad for your health, but people struggle to grasp that obvious fact. 

My old man used to play golf with a Doctor, and the Doc used to have people asking him all the time “what’s the best diet”, “is diet X good for me”, “how do I lose weight”. He used to tell my old man that all he ever said to people about diets and weight loss was, “don’t eat so much”, and that they would then look at him baffled, confused, not quite able to believe  this ridiculous remedy he’d proposed. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus