Coronavirus

whelk

Why the hell are we dealing in terms of “guidance”?

This is a natural disaster causing death, long term illness and ruining the economy and the longer it drags on, the worse it will be. That’s not hyperbole. This has caused more deaths than any earthquake, flood or storm in modern history and its results are more widespread and wide-reaching. If people shouldn’t travel for exercise, make that a law. If someone isn’t wearing a mask properly, hit them with a material fine. Have checkpoints ensuring people out and about have a reason to be out and about.

Pass appropriate laws and enforce them strictly.

Pissing around with “guidance”, coupled with the hypocrisy of people like Cummings, is one of the reasons why people still aren’t taking this seriously enough. 

I’m not generally in favor of big government but this scenario - complex system, large numbers, relatively small immediate personal risk for most people but very large societal risk - is exactly where a government can add tremendous value. 

• Like 1

The guidance is a mess, as it’s interpretation by government ministers and police.  A scotch egg is now a substantial meal and a cup of coffee is a picnic!  I am keen Walker averaging 8-12 miles a day, I take a flask of coffee and a snack, it seems I may now be liable to £200 fine, utter idiocy, good job my eyes need testing daily.

56 minutes ago, benjii said:

Why the hell are we dealing in terms of “guidance”?

This is a natural disaster causing death, long term illness and ruining the economy and the longer it drags on, the worse it will be. That’s not hyperbole. This has caused more deaths than any earthquake, flood or storm in modern history and its results are more widespread and wide-reaching. If people shouldn’t travel for exercise, make that a law. If someone isn’t wearing a mask properly, hit them with a material fine. Have checkpoints ensuring people out and about have a reason to be out and about.

Pass appropriate laws and enforce them strictly.

Pissing around with “guidance”, coupled with the hypocrisy of people like Cummings, is one of the reasons why people still aren’t taking this seriously enough. 

I’m not generally in favor of big government but this scenario - complex system, large numbers, relatively small immediate personal risk for most people but very large societal risk - is exactly where a government can add tremendous value. 

Spot on. This vague and ambiguous guidance is nonsense. If the intention is to stay within X miles of our homes and go to the nearest shop for essentials, then say so and make it the law with proper meaningful enforcement. With that said, there are too many intelligent people (on here and out there) who's focus still seems to be to do what they want because they deem it safe. Anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that going out for essentials doesn't mean taking the family to costco for a mooch around, or driving miles away for a walk. 

The fact we've only just started making people prove a negative test before flying into the country seems totally bizarre to me. Why wasn't this enforced 10 months ago? Loads of other countries did it but we were welcoming people from all over the place with open arms. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, egg said:

Spot on. This vague and ambiguous guidance is nonsense. If the intention is to stay within X miles of our homes and go to the nearest shop for essentials, then say so and make it the law with proper meaningful enforcement. With that said, there are too many intelligent people (on here and out there) who's focus still seems to be to do what they want because they deem it safe. Anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that going out for essentials doesn't mean taking the family to costco for a mooch around, or driving miles away for a walk. 

Over in France we were restricted to a I km radius from our house for exercise, once a day, and had to fill in a form each time . No fucking about with guidance, and very logical. If I had the virus, I would not be able to pass it on beyond my own village.

At the same time, people I know in the UK were driving miles for exercise, collecting and delivering for a charity meat raffle, visiting an elderly relative and going shopping in  the same day, all within the "guidance",  

The guidance should be "Stay away from everyone! " 

Just now, redkeith said:

Over in France we were restricted to a I km radius from our house for exercise, once a day, and had to fill in a form each time . No fucking about with guidance, and very logical. If I had the virus, I would not be able to pass it on beyond my own village.

At the same time, people I know in the UK were driving miles for exercise, collecting and delivering for a charity meat raffle, visiting an elderly relative and going shopping in  the same day, all within the "guidance",  

The guidance should be "Stay away from everyone! " 

Yep, France is what I had in mind. I heard of a guy pulled over and fined for driving past a Carrefour because he wanted to go to another supermarket further away. The point was that if you need essentials, get them in carrefour as it's nearer your home. 

Sadly, this country and this thread, is full of people who have the attitude that they think something is ok, or they don't give a fuck, so do it. 

It's easy to blame the government and guidance, and whilst that's a factor, the virus is spreading over here because too many people are selfish idiots. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

Sadly, this country and this thread, is full of people who have the attitude that they think something is ok, or they don't give a fuck, so do it. 

It's easy to blame the government and guidance, and whilst that's a factor, the virus is spreading over here because too many people are selfish idiots. 

Aren't you contradicting yourself?  It's entirely BECAUSE the rules are so haphazard that people take advantage of them.

'The people' on this thread have been pointing out the inadequacies of the rules since they were first introduced. If they were produced without the need for the local constable to interpret them as they saw fit, then they may have been more effective.

I've pointed out previously many of the loopholes that exist and been shouted down by people on this thread claiming that only a 'selfish cunt' would try and circumvent the rules.  Those same people have then re-appeared a couple of days later completely dismayed by the number of selfish cunts that exist in our country breaking the rules!

I do like your new, tough stance on enforcing the rules now though (although lots of the Coronavirus Act is technically only 'guidance' and not enforceable anyway), but can't help wondering why you didn't have the same thoughts towards those protesting up and down the country during a National Lockdown last summer.

14 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Aren't you contradicting yourself?  It's entirely BECAUSE the rules are so haphazard that people take advantage of them.

'The people' on this thread have been pointing out the inadequacies of the rules since they were first introduced. If they were produced without the need for the local constable to interpret them as they saw fit, then they may have been more effective.

I've pointed out previously many of the loopholes that exist and been shouted down by people on this thread claiming that only a 'selfish cunt' would try and circumvent the rules.  Those same people have then re-appeared a couple of days later completely dismayed by the number of selfish cunts that exist in our country breaking the rules!

I do like your new, tough stance on enforcing the rules now though (although lots of the Coronavirus Act is technically only 'guidance' and not enforceable anyway), but can't help wondering why you didn't have the same thoughts towards those protesting up and down the country during a National Lockdown last summer.

It's disappointing that some people on this very thread were only recently saying that the threat from Covid - jobs, businesses, livelihoods, mental health, schooling, illness, death and untreated major conditions - was no bigger than the threat we faced from AIDS in the 1980s.

Heaven forbid anyone that would "shout down" somebody like that.

20 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Should people really need laws to realise the danger of this stuff and act sensibly rather than selfishly? Given that so many people feel it'd be nice to jump in their car and go somewhere else for a stroll, or pop round their mates house for a cuppa, it seems that strong arm tactics are now needed. 

I'm not sure what you're on about about the earlier lock down. I've never advocated being a selfish div. I think you have though. 

Love the overreactions. Checkpoints on the streets, how very Soviet.

The vast majority of the population comply. Streets are empty where I am and the roads are quiet, although nothing like LD1 in terms of traffic but I do live on a route heading towards a big ASDA.

That said, don't be shocked when people don't comply when the messages from government and the media have been so mixed.

Don't go out, don't travel, unless you're going to get your eyes tested up north. Pubs are safe. Pubs aren't safe. Eat out it's safe. Don't eat out it's not safe. Young people don't get it. Why are young people ignoring it? Back to normal by Xmas. Xmas is cancelled. Schools are safe. Schools aren't safe. Exams are going ahead. Exams are cancelled. Exercise where you live. Travel for exercise etc.

Johnson and his mob of incompetents and too many talking heads have thrown out inconsistent messages and too much airtime given to the deniers and sceptics. 

Personally I have no issue people driving 5 miles to exercise. Here 5 miles takes you out into open countryside, Cannock Chase, big reservoirs with walking trails and similar. My wife and daughters will be doing just that later to watch the deer on the Chase having not been out the house all week. Beats trudging around the same old streets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, View From The Top said:

Love the overreactions. Checkpoints on the streets, how very Soviet.

The vast majority of the population comply. Streets are empty where I am and the roads are quiet, although nothing like LD1 in terms of traffic but I do live on a route heading towards a big ASDA.

That said, don't be shocked when people don't comply when the messages from government and the media have been so mixed.

Don't go out, don't travel, unless you're going to get your eyes tested up north. Pubs are safe. Pubs aren't safe. Eat out it's safe. Don't eat out it's not safe. Young people don't get it. Why are young people ignoring it? Back to normal by Xmas. Xmas is cancelled. Schools are safe. Schools aren't safe. Exams are going ahead. Exams are cancelled. Exercise where you live. Travel for exercise etc.

Johnson and his mob of incompetents and too many talking heads have thrown out inconsistent messages and too much airtime given to the deniers and sceptics. 

Personally I have no issue people driving 5 miles to exercise. Here 5 miles takes you out into open countryside, Cannock Chase, big reservoirs with walking trails and similar. My wife and daughters will be doing just that later to watch the deer on the Chase having not been out the house all week. Beats trudging around the same old streets.

Explain how reference to past mistakes from the government, and others, is any way helpful to slowing the spread now. 

Explain how people moving around with the virus slows the spread. 

Explain how you say we should slow the spread 

49 minutes ago, egg said:

Should people really need laws to realise the danger of this stuff and act sensibly rather than selfishly? Given that so many people feel it'd be nice to jump in their car and go somewhere else for a stroll, or pop round their mates house for a cuppa, it seems that strong arm tactics are now needed. 

What a load of pony. Most people are perfectly capable of acting sensibly & have been. You seem to put yourself up on a pedestal, if only everybody was as selfless as you the virus wouldn’t stand a chance. 

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load of pony. Most people are perfectly capable of acting sensibly & have been. You seem to put yourself up on a pedestal, if only everybody was as selfless as you the virus wouldn’t stand a chance. 

If they are capable of acting sensibly, that haven't been. Half a million cases a week don't happen by most people being sensible. It happens with a combination of people being unlucky and acting like idiots. It's easy to whinge about the state we're in, but pretty stupid to then say that the measures being take to slow the mess are too much. 

I don't put myself on a pedestal. I engage my brain. Try it. 

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Explain how reference to past mistakes from the government, and others, is any way helpful to slowing the spread now. 

People expect the government to give them a guidebook just for their own circumstances. Every time any set of measures have been introduced people have been whinging “well what about me, I live on the 13th floor of a flat in tooting, am I allowed to use the lift when there are 3 people in it or should I take the stairs, it’s not clear, waaaah, waaaah”

There have been some u turns on things and they have made mistakes, the recent thing about sending kids back to school for a day then closing them was ridiculous, but then the virus hasn’t been acting in an exactly predictable way so what to people expect?. Too many thick, selfish c*nts unable to use a bit of common sense. 

12 minutes ago, egg said:

1) Pandora's box is open. 

2) 3 family members together out on their own, yeah, fuck me, really dangerous. In fact, it's more dangerous wandering around our local towpaths, which are busy with families out walking, than it is driving 5 miles and walking a ressie route.

3) Bar banning everyone leaving their house, you can't. All that can be done now is accelerate the vaccination process.

Would love to stay and chat, but the sun is shining and I'm going out on my bike.

Just now, Turkish said:

People expect the government to give them a guidebook just for their own circumstances. Every time any set of measures have been introduced people have been whinging “well what about me, I live on the 13th floor of a flat in tooting, am I allowed to use the lift when there are 3 people in it or should I take the stairs, it’s not clear, waaaah, waaaah”

There have been some u turns on things and they have made mistakes, the recent thing about sending kids back to school for a day then closing them was ridiculous, but then the virus hasn’t been acting in an exactly predictable way so what to people expect?. Too many thick, selfish c*nts unable to use a bit of common sense

Yep, especially the last bit. They expect their arse to be wiped, but to be able to get on with life, and for the fairies to take the virus away. 

1 minute ago, View From The Top said:

1) Pandora's box is open. 

2) 3 family members together out on their own, yeah, fuck me, really dangerous. In fact, it's more dangerous wandering around our local towpaths, which are busy with families out walking, than it is driving 5 miles and walking a ressie route.

3) Bar banning everyone leaving their house, you can't. All that can be done now is accelerate the vaccination process.

Would love to stay and chat, but the sun is shining and I'm going out on my bike.

1. OK, so you're making a statement for the sake of it. Past mistakes don't mean action isn't needed now. 

2. The science behind this strain is simple. It passes on speech or even breath and lingers for hours. If someone wanting a walk where the trees are a bit nicer goes for a piss, a cuppa, fuel, etc, but asymptomatic, the virus spreads.

This virus isn't spreading by itself. 

3. So crack on and cross your fingers is your solution. Nice.

If I had a shit argument I'd leave as well. Enjoy your non local and non essential outing

Is it only us of European countries that have it out of control? Never see the figures for Italy, Spain and France these days.

Loads of people at my work who I assumed were sensible have caught it. I naturally question how and were they complacent?

Seeing some getting hysterical about obedience and fcking annoys me cnts without masks but the government has encouraged the complacency and many lost all confidence. Illustrated last week schools were safe on Sunday and unsafe on Monday. Don’t need to be a epidemiologist to conclude that you may know better than them.

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Is it only us of European countries that have it out of control? Never see the figures for Italy, Spain and France these days.

Loads of people at my work who I assumed were sensible have caught it. I naturally question how and were they complacent?

Seeing some getting hysterical about obedience and fcking annoys me cnts without masks but the government has encouraged the complacency and many lost all confidence. Illustrated last week schools were safe on Sunday and unsafe on Monday. Don’t need to be a epidemiologist to conclude that you may know better than them.

All it needs though is one person. I mentioned a few days ago from a small group of young lads meeting up that 13 people that I know of have been infected, one of those 13 is in hospital on an ECMO machine lucky to still be alive, they caught it because one teenage kid decided although he had symptoms to meet up with his mates and if they get it well, it’s only a light flu, didn’t for one second think about who they pass it on to. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

All it needs though is one person. I mentioned a few days ago from a small group of young lads meeting up that 13 people that I know of have been infected, one of those 13 is in hospital on an ECMO machine lucky to still be alive, they caught it because one teenage kid decided although he had symptoms to meet up with his mates and if they get it well, it’s only a light flu, didn’t for one second think about who they pass it on to. 

Scary R rate!  Do you know if they are getting better from the treatment?

showing hospital footage and the struggles of the staff is a powerful way of getting message home.

16 minutes ago, whelk said:

showing hospital footage and the struggles of the staff is a powerful way of getting message home.

Not really, it’s a very close friend of mine. Went into hospital on the 29th December with COVID, then got pneumonia put on a ventilator which didn’t help so this is the last resort, went onto the ECMO last Sunday. Lungs are barely working due to being riddled with infection, damage with air all round his lungs which the can’t treat. There was a slight improvement yesterday in that his infection markers dropped a bit but still 9 times higher than they should be for a normal person but that is the first positive news we’ve had. He will be in a coma and on the machine for a while yet, if he pulls through. Doctors have said a very precarious place but with the news yesterday they said for the first time there is cause for cautious optimism. He’s a 43 year old bloke, a bit over weight but with no health issues. Could have been any of us. 

also it’s 13 that I know about, there maybe and probably is more. Certainly made me take it all more seriously 

Edited by Turkish

2 hours ago, whelk said:

The R rate is a broad average and what this example demonstrates is the variation in the K number which is a measure of the spread in how many other people any particular person infects.

In this case there seems to be a super-spreader. Maybe there is something about this individual’s behaviour that causes the raised infections?

Two and a half hours on the bike this morning.  Yep, I left my local area (assuming your definition of 'local' is the 'neigbourhood') - went out to the Somerset Levels, proper farming country.

No doubt Egg will call me a selfish cunt but apart from the hundreds of cars that passed me (where were they all going?), I waved at about six other cyclists and passed maybe 20 pedestrians and one horse rider.  Add up all those 'interactions' and I probably spent 30 seconds in that 2 and a half hours within 2 metres of other human beings.  I'd say the risk - even if I had symptoms, which I don't - to other people could be described as 'negligible' at best.

In the meantime, the benefits to my physical (even with sore knees) and mental health, far, far outweigh any potential risks to other people.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The R rate is a broad average and what this example demonstrates is the variation in the K number which is a measure of the spread in how many other people any particular person infects.

In this case there seems to be a super-spreader. Maybe there is something about this individual’s behaviour that causes the raised infections?

He infected at least two other teenage kids who in turn infected everyone in their households. For most it was a heavy cold/flu but for my mate it’s critical. There may be more but I don’t know, these are the only ones I know about. I suspect there will be as the two households infected were going to work etc before lockdown and before anyone has tests positive or even showed symptoms, plus the all 3 boys would have mixed with other people. 

Edited by Turkish

9 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Two and a half hours on the bike this morning.  Yep, I left my local area (assuming your definition of 'local' is the 'neigbourhood') - went out to the Somerset Levels, proper farming country.

No doubt Egg will call me a selfish cunt but apart from the hundreds of cars that passed me (where were they all going?), I waved at about six other cyclists and passed maybe 20 pedestrians and one horse rider.  Add up all those 'interactions' and I probably spent 30 seconds in that 2 and a half hours within 2 metres of other human beings.  I'd say the risk - even if I had symptoms, which I don't - to other people could be described as 'negligible' at best.

In the meantime, the benefits to my physical (even with sore knees) and mental health, far, far outweigh any potential risks to other people.

Weston, you're a shining example of how to keep safe. Give yourself a reward. The difficulty in dealing with people like you though is that you believe you're right and being safe. You may be right. Other people feel the same. Despite that, half a million people - let that number sink in - are catching this each week. I person a minute died yesterday. 

You're correct. I think you're a selfish cunt. 

Edited by egg

1 minute ago, egg said:

Weston, you're a shining example of how to keep safe. Give yourself a reward. The difficulty in dealing with people like you though is that you believe you're right and being safe. You may be right. Other people feel the same. Despite that, half a million people - let that number sink in - are catching this. 

OK, Professor Covid, tell me how I could have infected other people (even if I had the virus and no symptoms) during the 30 seconds of interactions (in total across about 30 people) during my exercise?

I'm not sure you've really grasped the absolute basics of how virus are passed from person to person.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He infected at least two other teenage kids who in turn infected everyone in their households. For most it was a heavy cold/flu but for my mate it’s critical. There may be more but I don’t know, I suspect there will be as the two households infected were going to work etc before lockdown and before anyone has tests positive or even showed symptoms, plus the all 3 boys would have mixed with other people. 

Sorry to hear about your mate Del. Hopefully he'll be OK. The difficulty of course is people getting the virus and getting on with their lives before they are aware of the need to isolate. Even assuming people isolate when they are told to, the damage has been done and teh virus spreads. The only way prevent that is keeping out of harms way. 

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

OK, Professor Covid, tell me how I could have infected other people (even if I had the virus and no symptoms) during the 30 seconds of interactions (in total across about 30 people) during my exercise?

I'm not sure you've really grasped the absolute basics of how virus are passed from person to person.

There's no reasoning with you Weston. You're not the brightest light and clearly think you're right. You carry on doing what you're doing. But just have a little think about the impact on the NHS if one of those cars out today hit you, or whatever. Alas you can't think beyond yourself. 

3 hours ago, whelk said:

UK - 2.95mil cases, 79.8k deaths

France - 2.74mil cases, 67.0k deaths

Spain - 2.05mil cases, 51.8k deaths

Italy - 2.23mil cases, 77.9k deaths

Germany - 1.90mil cases, 40k deaths

Sweden - 489k cases, 9.4k deaths

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-GB&mid=%2Fm%2F0d0vqn&gl=GB&ceid=GB%3Aen

Pretty much as you'd expect I guess.  Countries that have larger land mass and therefore populations more spread out, have lower infections and death rates.  Countries with populations packed into smaller areas have the opposite.

* no adjustments are made for the multitude of different ways that the different countries report 'Covid' deaths.

Edited by Weston Super Saint

2 minutes ago, egg said:

There's no reasoning with you Weston. You're not the brightest light and clearly think you're right. You carry on doing what you're doing. But just have a little think about the impact on the NHS if one of those cars out today hit you, or whatever. Alas you can't think beyond yourself. 

What a ridiculous statement to make.  The impact to the NHS would be the same if a car hit me no matter what virus was circulating.

I'll give you one guess why I headed out to the 'levels' where the traffic is lighter.

Feel free to spell it out to me, if I'm really that stupid, let me know about the risk I've posed to other people during my exercise today - no doubt you'll dodge providing the information, prefering to hurl insults instead.  A clear sign that your arguments have fizzled out.

21 minutes ago, egg said:

Weston, you're a shining example of how to keep safe. Give yourself a reward. The difficulty in dealing with people like you though is that you believe you're right and being safe. You may be right. Other people feel the same. Despite that, half a million people - let that number sink in - are catching this each week. I person a minute died yesterday. 

You're correct. I think you're a selfish cunt. 

What if all the pedestrians he passed were within half a mile of his home, either on the outbound or inbound stretches ? The advantage of cycling in the countryside is precisely that you will meet far fewer people, and be further away from them. You will get closer to people, and come across more of them, if you are out for a walk than you will on a bike.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What a ridiculous statement to make.  The impact to the NHS would be the same if a car hit me no matter what virus was circulating.

That’s bollocks, if you ended up in ICU that is taking resources away from Covid patients.

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

That’s bollocks, if you ended up in ICU that is taking resources away from Covid patients.

That's bollocks.  If I hadn't bothered to exercise as much as I do I would doubtless have ended up in ICU as a covid patient.

It's also bollocks because as I already pointed out the impact on the NHS would be the same whether there was a virus circulating or not.

Nice try aintclever. 1/10 for effort though.

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Why don't they ban car driving then ? How many people are seriously injured every day in crashes and end up in hospital ? Whilst they are at it, ban the sale of power tools to reduce the risk of nasty accidents.

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That's bollocks.  If I hadn't bothered to exercise as much as I do I would doubtless have ended up in ICU as a covid patient.

It's also bollocks because as I already pointed out the impact on the NHS would be the same whether there was a virus circulating or not.

Nice try aintclever. 1/10 for effort though.

You can exercise and stay healthy without cycling on the road which is relatively dangerous. 

If you are taking up an ICU bed and the hospital is already stretched with Covid patients the doctors may have to prioritise meaning people could die because there is not enough capacity - it’s not rocket science.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t go out on your bike, I have been for some great rides during lockdown. But to say the level of virus doesn’t matter is nonsense.

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Why don't they ban car driving then ? How many people are seriously injured every day in crashes and end up in hospital ? Whilst they are at it, ban the sale of power tools to reduce the risk of nasty accidents.

I thought they have banned driving without good reason?

I could get run over walking to the shops to get my essential shopping.  Should we ban that as well?

It's all about risk really. In the last five or so years I've ridden over 20,000 miles. I haven't even come close to being hit by a car.  I'm happy to accept that the risk is very low.

There is still plenty of capacity in my area, so any (unlikely) trip to ICU by me won't be denying someone with covid a bed.  That's before we consider the Nightingale hospital in the area currently completely empty.  So no, there won't be any additional impact on the NHS.

4 hours ago, egg said:

1. OK, so you're making a statement for the sake of it. Past mistakes don't mean action isn't needed now. 

2. The science behind this strain is simple. It passes on speech or even breath and lingers for hours. If someone wanting a walk where the trees are a bit nicer goes for a piss, a cuppa, fuel, etc, but asymptomatic, the virus spreads.

This virus isn't spreading by itself. 

3. So crack on and cross your fingers is your solution. Nice.

If I had a shit argument I'd leave as well. Enjoy your non local and non essential outing

Had a great time thanks.

I'll be out tomorrow too.

You clutch your pearls cupcake as I think that's the most over dramatic bolloxs I've ever read. "Oh no, he's had a piss in a bush and the next person wandering pass is going to die".

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I could get run over walking to the shops to get my essential shopping.  Should we ban that as well?

It's all about risk really. In the last five or so years I've ridden over 20,000 miles. I haven't even come close to being hit by a car.  I'm happy to accept that the risk is very low.

There is still plenty of capacity in my area, so any (unlikely) trip to ICU by me won't be denying someone with covid a bed.  That's before we consider the Nightingale hospital in the area currently completely empty.  So no, there won't be any additional impact on the NHS.

I wouldn’t know you particular circumstances but you said no matter how much virus was circulating, if you were in an area with a high rate and the hospitals were already stretched then taking up an ICU bed would make a difference.

The NHS staff are performing heroics up and down the country at the moment, the last thing they need is more RTAs.

8 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Less traffic means less crashes.

Icy roads mean more. Less traffic means the potential for more careless driving. We could argue this back and forth, but even if you stay locked up at home you could fall down the stairs.

27 minutes ago, View From The Top said:

Had a great time thanks.

I'll be out tomorrow too.

You clutch your pearls cupcake as I think that's the most over dramatic bolloxs I've ever read. "Oh no, he's had a piss in a bush and the next person wandering pass is going to die".

Behave. You're just another selfish idiot doing what you want and ridiculing people that highlight that. It's not just a case of the risk of passing someone with covid and getting a cough in the face. I suspect you know that. Besides, lockdown is shit for all apart from the selfish who crack on regardless.  

20 minutes ago, egg said:

Quite. It's a simple concept that's too complex for the simple. 

Exactly, it’s a simple remedy. Nobody on bikes unless cycling to work, nobody outside their house unless buying food or going to work. God forbid, I might trip over on my dog walk, bang my head and steal an icu bed from a Covid patient. 

Might just be me, but does anyone else find these 'lockdown' rules a little more than head-scratching?

The local park today is absolutely heaving (similar to a Summer's day). People enjoying drinks in groups, games of basketball, tennis courts open, organised game of 8-a-side on the footie pitch etc. The vast majority of stores on our high-street are also open either for you to go in or as click-and-collect. Cafes packed with queues for takeaway. 

At the same time schools have been 'closed'. Yet, my son, who logged onto his Google classroom this week found that 16/30 of his class are in school and the numbers are growing by the day! Apparently out of 350 children, 160 were in school Friday. What on earth is the point of closing schools in the first place, if you're allowing that many in? Totally bizarre approach.  

P.S. Open up my golf club please and let me go for a pint.

Edited by Born In The 80s

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus