Coronavirus

whelk

12 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Spreading faster IS the problem. A very very significant one. The biggest issue with COVID is that it spreads so fast, and our only effective weapon against that has been lockdown measures. This mutation directly makes those measures less effective.

As I’ve said before, there are thousands of mutations, most of them haven’t caused a significant reaction in what we need to do, but this one has unfortunately.

Because it’s spreading faster (around 70% estimated), the measures that are in place to reduce spread aren’t enough, the number of people getting sick is leaping up despite them.  If we don’t want the NHS to be overwhelmed we don’t have a choice but to tighten it up. Another factor is that we have a vaccine now. That gives us a way out of lockdown and means that there’s a good reason to stop as many people getting sick as possible until it’s rolled out.

Genuine question but have they actually published any data on the new strain that backs up the claim it’s 70 percent more effective at transmission? They may well have done so not trying to score any points, just wondering. Wouldn’t surprise me that they’re blaming a new strain when it’s just an increase of cases of whatever strain. Just guessing on my part though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Genuine question but have they actually published any data on the new strain that backs up the claim it’s 70 percent more effective at transmission? They may well have done so not trying to score any points, just wondering. Wouldn’t surprise me that they’re blaming a new strain when it’s just an increase of cases of whatever strain. Just guessing on my part though.

Nothing published as far as I’m aware yet, beyond the figure that Boris Johnson quoted. That figure came from NERVTAG I believe.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Nothing published as far as I’m aware yet, beyond the figure that Boris Johnson quoted. That figure came from NERVTAG I believe.

The cynic in me thinks that this whole 5 day Xmas things was to try and make Johnson look more popular, now they have realised it's impossible they're blaming a new strain of COVID rather than admitting they fucked up by saying it in the first place.

If they were serious about this magical Christmas they should have shut non essential shops and secondary schools 2 weeks ago and told everyone to work from home. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

The cynic in me thinks that this whole 5 day Xmas things was to try and make Johnson look more popular, now they have realised it's impossible they're blaming a new strain of COVID rather than admitting they fucked up by saying it in the first place.

If they were serious about this magical Christmas they should have shut non essential shops and secondary schools 2 weeks ago and told everyone to work from home. 

Whether the Christmas relaxation of the measures would have been a good idea or not without this variant... personally I’d have leaned towards ‘not.’

The more contagious variant does exist though, the WHO have been notified of it, and we need to deal with it.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4857

5 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Whether the Christmas relaxation of the measures would have been a good idea or not without this variant... personally I’d have leaned towards ‘not.’

The more contagious variant does exist though, the WHO have been notified of it, and we need to deal with it.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4857

That article says it was first discovered in September. If that's true and it is much more contagious than other strains then would it have not ripped through most of the country by now?

5 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Gutted for my wife. 10 months with cancer, not seen her mum since before diagnosis. Was coming down from Stourbridge but now we’re in Tier 4 not possible. MiL has been self isolating in preparation as wife is still undergoing treatment and as such is ECV. Fuck 2020

Sorry to hear that, let’s hope for a better 2021. And yes, fuck 2020.

6 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Gutted for my wife. 10 months with cancer, not seen her mum since before diagnosis. Was coming down from Stourbridge but now we’re in Tier 4 not possible. MiL has been self isolating in preparation as wife is still undergoing treatment and as such is ECV. Fuck 2020

Oh no :(

Sorry to hear that, this truly has been an awful awful year.

28 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Gutted for my wife. 10 months with cancer, not seen her mum since before diagnosis. Was coming down from Stourbridge but now we’re in Tier 4 not possible. MiL has been self isolating in preparation as wife is still undergoing treatment and as very such is ECV. Fuck 2020

Very very sorry to hear that, it must be very difficult. Just got to get this vaccine rolled out.

Thanks. On the real plus side, none of my wife’s treatment was cancelled due to Covid and the care she’s had has been top notch. She’s been in contact through social media with others having bowel cancer, and scarily quite a few are no longer with us because of interruptions to their treatment. 

43 minutes ago, View From The Top said:

Similar to one of my mates. 2 to 4 in 72hrs and now his Mrs, who is in the RAF and up in Jockland, can't come home on Xmas leave apparently.

That’s shit too. Despite what we’ve been through at least we’re together for Xmas. There was a morning in March when I woke up  not knowing if I’d have a wife by teatime.

11 hours ago, The Cat said:

That article says it was first discovered in September. If that's true and it is much more contagious than other strains then would it have not ripped through most of the country by now?

Nothing definite in that article that the new strain IS more contagious.  Lots of ifs, buts and maybes.

It could of course all be coincidence.  I think the whole country was baffled when the last lockdown ended and London / South East was put in tier 2 whilst many rural areas put in tier 3.  Anyone with half a brain has already worked out that areas where there is a denser population will have higher infection rates, throw in mass public transport and this will be exacerbated.

There's no denying there IS a new strain and there's no denying it is being recorded more often, but that could just be because it has now become the more dominant variation and the increase in cases is because 20 odd million people were given more freedom to mingle than they should have been....

Some people will never learn.

spacer.png

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13397048/four-arrested-breaking-covid-rules-hundreds-teens-harrods/

You've got to have some sympathy with the government, they are constantly treading a fine line, but the Christmas relaxation always seemed a bit of an indulgence. I can see that it may have been more appropriate when announced then it is now, especially with the new variant in circulation. Nothing cynical about it.

18 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

That’s shit too. Despite what we’ve been through at least we’re together for Xmas. There was a morning in March when I woke up  not knowing if I’d have a wife by teatime.

When I was diagnosed with cancer back in May 2016 I simply asked 3 question.

1) Can you cure it?

2) If you can't cure it can it be managed long term?

3) If the answer is no to questions 1 and 2 how long have I got?

My wife was listening to all the details of the cancer, treatment etc. I just heard blah, blah, blah as my mind was racing as to where the will was, how much was my Death In Service worth etc.

Thankfully an operation, 6 weeks of daily radiotherapy and weekly 14hr chemo sessions sorted me out as we'd got it early but I won't pretend it wasn't very scary for me, my wife and my kids.

It's an awful thing for those going through it but even worse for those who love them.

Edited by View From The Top

3 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

You've got to have some sympathy with the government, they are constantly treading a fine line, but the Christmas relaxation always seemed a bit of an indulgence. I can see that it may have been more appropriate when announced then it is now, especially with the new variant in circulation. Nothing cynical about it.

Johnson made a rod for his own back when he played politics regarding Starmer wanting to cancel Xmas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

As Marr pointed out to Hancock, the sympathy isn’t there when he wants to mock Starmer only this Wednesday and not applying the appropriate gravitas to the situation thinking he is in some Elton debating society. He could’ve easily given a more civil answer but likes a to be the popular champion whereas anyone can see he is an incompetent twat hopelessly out of his depth dealing with this crisis. Yes the crisis would test any decent leader with integrity and eye for detail and decision making but this guy is only good for a campaign full of lies and bs. 

Edited by whelk

I recently read an interesting comment - this country got Johnson and May the wrong way round.

After Cameron walked away from the Brexit mess, Johnson could have come in with his swagger and bluster and sorted it out . He had called for Brexit so could implement it. His hard negotiating style may have had more success than May's "Brexit  means Brexit  but we are not really certain what we want " style.  Let's face it even he couldn't have made the clusterfuck anyone worse than it is now.  

Then when the country needs the diligent, thoughtful, conscientious approach to the pandemic, which was May's hallmark we get the buffoon. "It ill be over in 12 weeks / Squash the sombrero / Back to normal by Christmas " U turns all over the place and a country with one of the worst Covid death rates / economic  upheavals. We have a PM who doesn't like to say No when we need a leader happy to make unpleasant decisions. Again the mess couldn't really have been any worse under May. 

If only .. if only ...;

6 hours ago, View From The Top said:

It's an awful thing for those going through it but even worse for those who love them.

It happened so quickly with us. She'd been ill for a couple months but in the end she was like a runaway train about to hit the buffers. Waiting for the outcome of the 11 hours of emergency surgery was not great. As I  couldn't go in I had a 'next of kin' call which explained things could go either way. Having negotiated that, everything else is as a bonus. You're right about the partner being the listener, she hears nothing of the detail. Amazing the number of times we get home after a consultation and she relates back the blah, blah blah and I have to fill in the important bits

Edited by Winnersaint

Going to work

To help contain the virus, everyone who can work effectively from home should do so.

Where people cannot do so - including, but not limited to, people who work in critical national infrastructure, construction, or manufacturing - they should continue to travel to their workplace. This is essential to keeping the country operating and supporting sectors and employers.

Public sector employees working in essential services, including childcare or education, should continue to go into work.

Where it is necessary for you to work in other people's homes - for example, for nannies, cleaners or tradespeople - you can do so. Otherwise, you should avoid meeting for work in a private home or garden, where COVID-19 Secure measures may not be in place.

The risk of transmission can be substantially reduced if COVID-19 secure guidelines are followed closely. Extra consideration should be given to those people at higher risk.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why do I have an imagine in my head of all tories pissed up in their Westminster bar with Hancock on karaoke singing “a new strain” to the tune of simply reds a new flame with the rest of them bouncing about in front of him

Taking it in turns to do a line of Charlie off Priti’s stomach. 

10 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

I recently read an interesting comment - this country got Johnson and May the wrong way round.

After Cameron walked away from the Brexit mess, Johnson could have come in with his swagger and bluster and sorted it out . He had called for Brexit so could implement it. His hard negotiating style may have had more success than May's "Brexit  means Brexit  but we are not really certain what we want " style.  Let's face it even he couldn't have made the clusterfuck anyone worse than it is now.  

Then when the country needs the diligent, thoughtful, conscientious approach to the pandemic, which was May's hallmark we get the buffoon. "It ill be over in 12 weeks / Squash the sombrero / Back to normal by Christmas " U turns all over the place and a country with one of the worst Covid death rates / economic  upheavals. We have a PM who doesn't like to say No when we need a leader happy to make unpleasant decisions. Again the mess couldn't really have been any worse under May. 

If only .. if only ...;

I'd rather Ed Miliband had won, Brexit would've stayed a kipper pipedream and the NHS would have been in much better shape to deal with Covid. 

On 21/12/2020 at 00:09, Jonnyboy said:

I'd rather Ed Miliband had won, Brexit would've stayed a kipper pipedream and the NHS would have been in much better shape to deal with Covid. 

I'd rather David Mliliband had won. Ed didn't provide credible opposition and enabled the whole shambles to unfold.  It's no exaggeration to say thsat if he hadnt stood against his brother recent British history would be different.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buctootim said:

I'd rather David Mliliband had won. Ed didn't provide credible opposition and enabled the whole shambles to unfold.  It's no exaggeration to say thsat if he hadnt stood against his brother recent British history would be different.   

Quite right

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus