Leeds 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

................McCarthy

Djenepo Vesty Mo Bertrand

Armstrong JWP Rom Redmond 

..................Mina Ings

would’ve liked to have seen Mousa further forward, but he’s the best substitute there for now given who we have available. Once KWP is back, play him in place of Redmond

McCarthy; Salisu, Bednarek, Vestergaard; Djenepo, Romeu, JWP, Armstrong, Bertrand; Minamino, Ings.

I'd bring Armstrong in for Redmond if he's fit.

Minamino is clearly a very good finisher so stick him upfront with Ings. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

1 hour ago, fanimal said:

Adams and Armstrong to start and give us a chance

Would agree with that, need some fresh legs, Djenepo might be sore for a couple of days. 

Tempting to start Ings on the bench and bring him on 2nd half. 

Any news on expected number of weeks out for KWP? 

Leeds are a strange side, they'll definitely come at us, seem to attack relentlessly even when a few goals down. Hopefully Phillips is still out. 

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Dropping our best player isn't a great idea. If it is because Ings is out of form, well Adams is even more out of form! 

Worked well for a few aways last year, particularly Palace 

23 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Dropping our best player isn't a great idea. If it is because Ings is out of form, well Adams is even more out of form! 

Not sure if he’s (Ings) especially out of form, maybe a little dip, but  there is only so much a striker can do when we barley set up decent attacking moves. He’s probably even more important in a side that isn’t creating much.

18 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Massively depends if kalvin Phillips is fit, there not a 1 man team but not far off it, think I read they've lost 5 games in which he hasn't played

I've got a close friend who supports Leeds. He says that without Phillips they are incredibly lightweight in midfield and he's their most important player. Raphinha is the player we've got to watch. Rate him very highly.

16 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I've got a close friend who supports Leeds. He says that without Phillips they are incredibly lightweight in midfield and he's their most important player. Raphinha is the player we've got to watch. Rate him very highly.

I live near Leeds and this is true. He keeps them ticking over. The media love them with all this hype about how crazy their games are. Yes they’ve had a few high scoring ones but I don’t think they’re as good as made out. Ultimately we’re only just behind them and we’ve been terrible since the run of the year. Nothing to be scared of here. They score a few but let in more. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I live near Leeds and this is true. He keeps them ticking over. The media love them with all this hype about how crazy their games are. Yes they’ve had a few high scoring ones but I don’t think they’re as good as made out. Ultimately we’re only just behind them and we’ve been terrible since the run of the year. Nothing to be scared of here. They score a few but let in more. 

Yep. They have covered more ground than the opposition in every game they've played this season, which kinda covers up for how badly organised they are - they leave way too much space for other teams to exploit.

As long as we defend as well as we did today then we should have enough chances to win the game. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

10 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Is Kelvin Phillips likely to be out on Tuesday then? 

Considering we're still missing a number of players and can struggle ourselves with playing twice in 4 days it might not be as open a game as it would have been in different circumstances. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if Moussa is out on Tuesday, the two kicks he got can take a day or two for the bruising and pain to come out.

I have always thought of him as a bit of wet fanny but he did well yesterday.

He has always made a meal of tackles in the past and did so again on one occasion yesterday when he got pulled back up the touch line.

If he is in the starting line up on Tuesday then maybe we will start seeing a new Moussa 

11 minutes ago, northam soul said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if Moussa is out on Tuesday, the two kicks he got can take a day or two for the bruising and pain to come out.

I have always thought of him as a bit of wet fanny but he did well yesterday.

He has always made a meal of tackles in the past and did so again on one occasion yesterday when he got pulled back up the touch line.

If he is in the starting line up on Tuesday then maybe we will start seeing a new Moussa 

A wet fanny can take a hell of a pounding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Is Kelvin Phillips likely to be out on Tuesday then? 

Considering we're still missing a number of players and can struggle ourselves with playing twice in 4 days it might not be as open a game as it would have been in different circumstances. 

"Physio Room" or whatever it is called these days shows no date for Phillips to return. So probably not for our match.

Of Saints' injured players, Armstrong is showing as 50/50 for Tuesday, all other players "no date"

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

And Chelsea 

Yep of course, I think Sheffield United he was on the bench so that's at least 3 away wins last year without Ings starting, could be a better option having him fresh for the last 30. 

16 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

----------McCarthy

Bednarek Salisu Vest Bertrand

------JWP---Romeu

Armstrong--------Djenepo

Again, Djenepo or Redmond

16 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Minamino ---------Ings

Amazingly, the defence seems easier to call than upfront. Not too sure who of Ings or Adams is in the better form at present. Never thought I've ever say that. Does Ingsie need a rest.?

Also, Redmond's pass to Mo was brilliant, and crucial. It's difficult to drop him after that, and Djenepo may still be suffering from knocks. I'd start with Redders and bring Djenepo on if needed.

The draw against Chelsea has uplifted me. I think that whatever system Ralph goes for, we have to be more defence minded for upcoming games until our forwards restore their scoring touch and we've bagged a few more points . Thank goodness for Mo. 

I

• Like 1

Quite an unpredictable side, Leeds Utd. I have watched a few of their matches. I suppose like most teams they are a work in progress but on their day they are a hard team to beat. Even when they are on the back foot they give it everything right up to the final whistle, so Saints don't need to get complacent. It will be a good game.

57 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Dropping Ings for this would be mental, whilst he's not at the top of his game he's still our most in form striker and against Leeds we should actually be able to create a few chances for him. I'd like to see Mina alongside him, if not then bring Che back in.

True, he has had a bit of a dip, but most of it can be attributed to lack of opportunities being created for him. Give him even half chances he will score more often than not.

If Armstrong is fit who makes way for him ? Mouse and redders had good games Saturday and mini is a finisher so for me has to start ..as does ings against Leeds ..bednerak rb in a flat back 4 ? Ralph has a few decisions make ..Leeds will come out flying ! 
Is it time to give che a start ? 

19 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

----------McCarthy

Bednarek Salisu Vest Bertrand

------JWP---Romeu

Armstrong--------Djenepo

Minamino ---------Ings

I would go with this. Would like to see it as a 4-2-3-1 with Mini in a no 10 role.

Can see there being goals on Tuesday but god knows what the score will be, both teams concede for fun and can be decent or shite on the day.

37 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I would go with this. Would like to see it as a 4-2-3-1 with Mini in a no 10 role.

Can see there being goals on Tuesday but god knows what the score will be, both teams concede for fun and can be decent or shite on the day.

One thing that is totally apparent is that there is no way Salisu can play anywhere but on the left side of the defence. He must be one of the most one footed players I've ever seen (That's not a criticism by the way) 

• Like 1

If the team that played Saturday is fit, I'd keep it unchanged. Armstrong obviously has a niggly muscle injury that's affecting his fitness, so I wouldn't rush him back. But on the bench would be a good option.

I suspect the biggest doubt is Djenepo after he was kicked from pillar to post. If he can't start, it's either Armstrong or I would go with Ings and Adams with Minamino and Redmond.

Edited by Shroppie

4 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Dropping Ings for this would be mental, whilst he's not at the top of his game he's still our most in form striker and against Leeds we should actually be able to create a few chances for him. I'd like to see Mina alongside him, if not then bring Che back in.

Couldn't disagree more. Ings wasn't at the races at all yesterday (and has been slowly going backwards) - he looks like he needs a rest (either that or his head is somewhere else). Let him come off the bench to score a 90th minute winner. Redmond had a good game yesterday - set up the first nearly set up another and did the running for both him and Ings. I'd start with Che and Redmond up top and grind leeds down before giving Danny 30 mins to do what he does best.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Couldn't disagree more. Ings wasn't at the races at all yesterday (and has been slowly going backwards) - he looks like he needs a rest (either that or his head is somewhere else). Let him come off the bench to score a 90th minute winner. Redmond had a good game yesterday - set up the first nearly set up another and did the running for both him and Ings. I'd start with Che and Redmond up top and grind leeds down before giving Danny 30 mins to do what he does best.

The service on Saturday was really limited due to the domination of possession that Chelsea had. Of course, you make your own chances and he didn't contribute much, other than the penalty. Regardless, he has still scored 2 in the last 3 games including a superb high quality volley. You're suggesting that we replace him with two players who haven't scored in the last  3-4 months. 

It hasn't been a great spell for Danny. His season has been disrupted by injury and Covid, plus the team haven't been great since the turn of the year. But ........................     he has more class than any of our other forward players (although Minamino also looks to have quality finishing) and will continue to get a few goals even when not playing at his best. 

Play your best players. They will come good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

The service on Saturday was really limited due to the domination of possession that Chelsea had. Of course, you make your own chances and he didn't contribute much, other than the penalty. Regardless, he has still scored 2 in the last 3 games including a superb high quality volley. You're suggesting that we replace him with two players who haven't scored in the last  3-4 months. 

It hasn't been a great spell for Danny. His season has been disrupted by injury and Covid, plus the team haven't been great since the turn of the year. But ........................     he has more class than any of our other forward players (although Minamino also looks to have quality finishing) and will continue to get a few goals even when not playing at his best. 

Play your best players. They will come good.  

IMO he needs a break - he'll either continue to perform poorly or will break down completely. I'm not saying don't play him at all - just bring him on fresh against tiring legs and manage him through the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic