Danny Ings

sisi1992

7 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Seems to me it’s Che vs Danny Ings the back up for if he does not resign on? Or is that a smokescreen??

Both about the same height. Both about the same pace. Che a bit more muscular style of play perhaps but both like to hustle. Both like to collect ball slightly deeper and pass it to on- or goal hang. Both can play with Adam. 
Both not scored many goals in the EPL lately. Che has scored more recently at lower level though. Danny has played EPL more recently though only 20 games. 
Both on six figure salaries. Danny Ings supposedly £6m fee Che no fee but undoubtedly a loyalty bonus at least £1m. Would imagine the two deals work out v close in net terms. 
Who is the better buy or is it neither? 

Did you watch Che and Danny play together?! They worked well as a pair because their games contrasted so much!

Signing Danny so Che can be support striker might encourage him to resign. Might piss Arma off though

14 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I can’t understand why people talk about Ings as if we’d be getting back the guy who scored 22 goals five years ago. That was a one off season, across his whole career his second best goal return is 12. For all the, "yeah buts," and the, "oh, well if only they’d played him XYZ," there’s no getting around the fact that his last four years have yielded a combined 16 league goals, at a steadily declining rate.

He’s not a proven PL goal scorer, he’s a has been who only ever did it at this level once. I wouldn’t take him on a free, personally.

Two seasons ago he scored a goal every 200 minutes in the PL. Last season he was one goal shy of doing the same again. Che Adams has never done it in four seasons. No-one in the squad has ever come close.

10 goals in 2000 minutes for £10m. When our current lineup of strikers is Stewart, Mara, and Onuachu. I can see the appeal.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't think the club is prepared to pay the going rate for a decent striker 30m plus we are going to continue our fashion of cheap has-beens that might possibly come good again, the last money spent on sullemana and stewart was evidence our club talent scouts are clearly lacking 

If Ings signs for £6m I'd say that was a good bit of business. He's always been about brains rather than speed so age shouldn't be too big an issue. If treated correctly I don't see why we couldn't get 10-15 goals from him. IMO he still has something good to offer.

19 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

Two seasons ago he scored a goal every 200 minutes in the PL. Last season he was one goal shy of doing the same again. Che Adams has never done it in four seasons. No-one in the squad has ever come close.

10 goals in 2000 minutes for £10m. When our current lineup of strikers is Stewart, Mara, and Onuachu. I can see the appeal.

That’s a very long way of saying he’s scored three league goals in two years.

• Like 2

Inggs and lallana are not the answer to our problems! Nor was Walcott, I can't think of many if any players that have come back to the club and been a huge success?.  This club needs to stop revisiting our past and look to the future of signing new players! 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Inggs and lallana are not the answer to our problems! Nor was Walcott, I can't think of many if any players that have come back to the club and been a huge success?.  This club needs to stop revisiting our past and look to the future of signing new players! 

Mick Channon, a long time ago

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Chaplow and Cork but they were very young when they first came here and returned in their prime to give us several of the best years of their career. Generally I agree with the sentiment though, nobody would want the likes of Walcott, Lallana or Ings if they hadn’t played here before.

26 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Chaplow and Cork but they were very young when they first came here and returned in their prime to give us several of the best years of their career. Generally I agree with the sentiment though, nobody would want the likes of Walcott, Lallana or Ings if they hadn’t played here before.

Ings not so much. The goal for this season is to stay up. At £6m Ings represents a cheap signing and has proven he can score goals in the premier league. He wouldn't be top of anyones list but he's proven he can score 10+ regularly at this level which is better than we've had since we had, err Danny ings. If he does it this season it'd be the best £6m we've ever spent. If he doesn't then it's not a lot of cash, obviously if he wants £100k a week then that's a different story but if he wages are in budget, on say a 2 year deal then that's not a bad bit of business

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ings not so much. The goal for this season is to stay up. At £6m Ings represents a cheap signing and has proven he can score goals in the premier league. He wouldn't be top of anyones list but he's proven he can score 10+ regularly at this level which is better than we've had since we had, err Danny ings. If he does it this season it'd be the best £6m we've ever spent. If he doesn't then it's not a lot of cash, obviously if he wants £100k a week then that's a different story but if he wages are in budget, on say a 2 year deal then that's not a bad bit of business

This is where I sit with Ings. He's not going to be the Ings of 2019-2020, I think we all appreciate that - but he can and will score goals. I'd trust him 1-on-1 more than I would Adams or Mara, so automatically that has to be an upgrade on anything we have today.

It's notoriously hard to find goal scorers as a club, I lose count of how much money teams have spent over the years to try and find that ''10-15 goal a season striker'' (us with Carillo, Onuachu to name a couple - that's £40m down the drain on two who didn't even score).

It would be daft to turn your nose up to a player at the price he is at and with the record he has of scoring goals at this level, international level and for us. No brainer for me if he's available for £6m. I fail to see who we could sign with the pedigree within the budget we're working to.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is where I sit with Ings. He's not going to be the Ings of 2019-2020, I think we all appreciate that - but he can and will score goals. I'd trust him 1-on-1 more than I would Adams or Mara, so automatically that has to be an upgrade on anything we have today.

It's notoriously hard to find goal scorers as a club, I lose count of how much money teams have spent over the years to try and find that ''10-15 goal a season striker'' (us with Carillo, Onuachu to name a couple - that's £40m down the drain on two who didn't even score).

It would be daft to turn your nose up to a player at the price he is at and with the record he has of scoring goals at this level, international level and for us. No brainer for me if he's available for £6m. I fail to see who we could sign with the pedigree within the budget we're working to.

considering the amount of money we spunked on young, hungry therefore guaranteed to improvers and Tall Paul and Sulemana £6m for a proven premier league striker seems like a decent deal for me. Larios cost us more.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

considering the amount of money we spunked on young, hungry therefore guaranteed to improvers and Tall Paul and Sulemana £6m for a proven premier league striker seems like a decent deal for me. Larios cost us more.

So did Ross Stewart, another more expensive striker yet to get off the mark.

Ings might be on 120k or whatever, but he won't be on that with us. If it happens I see it being a loan anyway, some sort of deal in place where they cough up majority of the wage - or we pay a bigger chunk of his wage, and they knock a few mill off of Flynn. Who knows. Potential stuff to be done there though if we're creative.

Edited by S-Clarke

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

But he hasn’t and he can’t. His three best ever seasons scoring at this level are 22, 12 and 11 (the last one being ten years ago) they’re the only times he’s made double figures. His last four seasons he’s scored 7, 6, 2, 1. I don’t know why people are ignoring this and talking about him anomalies which happened five or six years ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

But he hasn’t and he can’t. His three best ever seasons scoring at this level are 22, 12 and 11 (the last one being ten years ago) they’re the only times he’s made double figures. His last four seasons he’s scored 7, 6, 2, 1. I don’t know why people are ignoring this and talking about him anomalies which happened five or six years ago.

You need to look at that in context though.

When he hit over 10 goals at this level he was playing every week, his seasons at Villa and WHU have been really bitty and he's never held down a place and has been a sub quite a lot of the time. (he's rubbish as a sub). He's the sort of striker who needs a run in the team and I'm convinced as a main man up top he'd score goals and get to those double figures.

I don't trust our scouting to find any usable alternatives, so going back to what we know has worked before in such a critical position seems low risk.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

FACT Check. Your numbers are also wrong, 2022/23 season he scored 8, 6 for Villa, 2 for West ham.

Last season he only scored 1 but only started 3 games, usually used as a late sub by West Ham. 

2021/22 season 7 in 22 starts

So what we can take from this when he starts games he's a decent goalscorer, but he's poor as an impact sub when you need a goal.

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You need to look at that in context though.

When he hit over 10 goals at this level he was playing every week, his seasons at Villa and WHU have been really bitty and he's never held down a place and has been a sub quite a lot of the time. (he's rubbish as a sub). He's the sort of striker who needs a run in the team and I'm convinced as a main man up top he'd score goals and get to those double figures.

I don't trust our scouting to find any usable alternatives, so going back to what we know has worked before in such a critical position seems low risk.

All in the past. He has been on a downward spiral since his single good season with us 19/20. The reason is because he is getting older and his fitness is poor (Injuries). Just because he did it 5 years ago does not mean he can reproduce that form now. He has only scored a few goals in the last few seasons because he is no longer sharp enough or fit enough. Signing Ings now will be a big mistake, the only department that will benefit is the medical team who will have their work cut out getting him fit.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

FACT Check. Your numbers are also wrong, 2022/23 season he scored 8, 6 for Villa, 2 for West ham.

Last season he only scored 1 but only started 3 games, usually used as a late sub by West Ham. 

2021/22 season 7 in 22 starts

So what we can take from this when he starts games he's a decent goalscorer, but he's poor as an impact sub when you need a goal.

You're right on the first bit, I misread his stats. Still, three league goals in 18 months is hardly impressive. The fact that he's more regularly used as a late sub isn't something you can just dismiss. There's a reason for it, in much the same way as people on here talk about how good Mara's goals to minutes ratio is actually impressive when actually he never starts because he's sh*te.

Ing's can't get a start at West Ham, who are hardly world beaters, and can't knock Antonio out the team, who only brought home six goals himself last season. However you try and dress it up, he just hasn't done anything at West Ham and Villa were quite happy to offload him too.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You're right on the first bit, I misread his stats. Still, three league goals in 18 months is hardly impressive. The fact that he's more regularly used as a late sub isn't something you can just dismiss. There's a reason for it, in much the same way as people on here talk about how good Mara's goals to minutes ratio is actually impressive when actually he never starts because he's sh*te.

Ing's can't get a start at West Ham, who are hardly world beaters, and can't knock Antonio out the team, who only brought home six goals himself last season. However you try and dress it up, he just hasn't done anything at West Ham and Villa were quite happy to offload him too.

Think we'll agree to disagree on this one. WHU have a truly terrible record of getting the best out of any strikers they sign, so I wouldn't read too much into his failings at WHU.

I know why some people may question us going for him, but I do see the attraction in this crazy market of inflated prices and not being able to spend money.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Think we'll agree to disagree on this one. WHU have a truly terrible record of getting the best out of any strikers they sign, so I wouldn't read too much into his failings at WHU.

I know why some people may question us going for him, but I do see the attraction in this crazy market of inflated prices and not being able to spend money.

They got quite a bit out of Antonio, but failed miserably with others such as Scammacca. Made me wonder where we "get the best out of" our own strikers. He's our Prem striker signings dating back to 2012. We certainly got a lot out of Rodriguez and Ings. Less sure about the rest. That's not to say they all (Carillo apart) didn't have their moments, but could we have got more out of them? Pelle was great, but there were periods where he seemed to lose all confidence. 

Rodriguez
Osvaldo
Pelle
Austin
Gabbiadini
Carillo
Ings
Adams
Broja
Armstrong
Mara
Onuachu

20 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Alfie House (The Echo) has pretty much confirmed there is nothing in this and that it’s complete bollocks. 😂

The same with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rickie Lambert, Franny Benali etc etc.

Is the Echo all seeing? Genuine question. They do seem to have decent inside knowledge, but wasn't sure if a few signings happened without them knowing diddly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

I wanted him to stay but he chose £ with Villa to see out his career . Seeing him at WH confirms he’s past it so no good for Saints now , we need players with energy and can last 90 mins and put the ball in the net !

If I recall correctly he didn't even know he was going, he thought he would be playing that night, apparently his Dad, at the game, didn't even know until everyone else in the stadium did.

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

They got quite a bit out of Antonio, but failed miserably with others such as Scammacca. Made me wonder where we "get the best out of" our own strikers. He's our Prem striker signings dating back to 2012. We certainly got a lot out of Rodriguez and Ings. Less sure about the rest. That's not to say they all (Carillo apart) didn't have their moments, but could we have got more out of them? Pelle was great, but there were periods where he seemed to lose all confidence. 

Rodriguez
Osvaldo
Pelle
Austin
Gabbiadini
Carillo
Ings
Adams
Broja
Armstrong
Mara
Onuachu

Jay Rod, Pelle, Ings, Gabbiadini were successes in my eyes - well scouted signings. In terms of the later, I don't think we used him enough in his second season. He was a proper player.

After Ings our recruitment took a massive nose dive though, certainly in terms of PL output. Broja for 6 months, maybe.

It does show that signing a 'proven' striker is pretty much impossible for us. We have to go for a foreign gamble (which we've been horrendous at for years) or a decent young talent in the hope that they step up. But even those sorts are starting to cost too much for clubs like us. Not much value out there anymore, certainly when you look at the fees we spent on Jay Rod and Pelle at the time.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

Rodriguez
Osvaldo
Pelle
Austin
Gabbiadini
Carillo
Ings
Adams
Broja
Armstrong
Mara
Onuachu

You're looking at a 50% hit rate there, when you weigh up the fee, the return and the sell price you've got very good signings Pelle, Rodriguez, Ings, Broja, okay signings Austin, Gabbiadini, Adams, Armstrong, shite ones Osvaldo, Carillo, Mara and Onachu.

Interesting to note that the 4 shite signings 2 of them were record signings and the 4 fees combined cost almost as much as the combined fee of all the others. 

2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

If I recall correctly he didn't even know he was going, he thought he would be playing that night, apparently his Dad, at the game, didn't even know until everyone else in the stadium did.

News to me ! We are fed such nonsense so no surprise if true . Perhaps CoT can confirm ?

3 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

He may not have known he was leaving that night, but he was trying to leave all summer so moving wasn’t a surprise.

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

He's allegedly on 120k.a week at west ham which is crazy, we won't pay much more  than half that! so I can't see him agreeing, depends if he wants to play but it's pretty obvious he isn't going to recapture past form just by returning to the club! Would be a stupid signing imo 

5 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

News to me ! We are fed such nonsense so no surprise if true . Perhaps CoT can confirm ?

Think they already did, don’t you remember the picture of Charlie Chaplin holding a large lit candle and an accompanying prose of a flock of seagulls?

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

He's allegedly on 120k.a week at west ham which is crazy, we won't pay much more  than half that! so I can't see him agreeing, depends if he wants to play but it's pretty obvious he isn't going to recapture past form just by returning to the club! Would be a stupid signing imo 

He did nothing for Hammers which is why they are getting rid. His day is done 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dellyears said:

He did nothing for Hammers which is why they are getting rid. His day is done 

I agree. The club begs to differ it seems unless it really is all just rumours.... Could well be! Let's hope so! 

Friend of mine told me she met Ings on a night out in 2019ish and she went back to his hotel room and he made her watch YouTube compilations of him scoring for Liverpool. 

Odd bloke apparently.

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, CWD said:

Friend of mine told me she met Ings on a night out in 2019ish and she went back to his hotel room and he made her watch YouTube compilations of him scoring for Liverpool. 

Odd bloke apparently.

Lol - that wouldn’t have taken very long to watch…..

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, CWD said:

Odd bloke apparently.

Did he strip down to his boxers and flex in the mirror until she let herself out? 

Massive no from me. 

He was made of glass even when he wasn’t old. We already have one broken striker. So what’s the point? 

Plus we already now have to applaud and watch lallana, I don’t think I can support another returning bell end.

It’s just embarrassing to take these guys back. We should aim higher.

On 20/06/2024 at 11:00, ally_uk said:

If Ings comes in and scores the goals that keep us up job done.... Bunch of absolute melts on here ! Honestly 

If Ings comes in and scores 45 goals and fires us to champions league glory then job done. Bunch of absolute melts on here honestly. /s

or… he’s aging, injured often, on high wages and has scored 3 goals in 2 years. (Or similar) so it appears it’s much more likely to be a shit signing than a good signing. I’m pretty sure that’s what people are reacting too. 

12 hours ago, CWD said:

Odd bloke apparently.

Is she a 9 Pinter perhaps?