Things That are Racist

Turkish

7 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

They were a declining brand trying to find a new market, so tried the LGBTQIA2S+ thing. Just trying to sell more beer. It backfired so ran a mile from the LGBTQIA2S+ thing.

Sleep well on your My Pillow.

Just as simple as that, eh.... 😆

On 06/12/2023 at 21:16, Fan The Flames said:

They were a declining brand trying to find a new market, so tried the LGBTQIA2S+ thing. Just trying to sell more beer. It backfired so ran a mile from the LGBTQIA2S+ thing.

Sleep well on your My Pillow.

Do asset management firms like Blackrock have an influence over companies, messaging they push and marketing decisions? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

My car.

For the past fortnight it has popped up with a warning of black ice. There really is no need to bring colour into it.

It's called black ice because although it is not actually black, it is a thin transparent layer and so appears black because of the road surface underneath. If we drove on pink roads, we'd be calling it pink ice.

Just "ice" is fine.

Other than you can see ice but you can’t see black ice, hence the description. When I was a kid I slipped on some black ice on a drain cover and broke my arm. Just be thankful that your car is concerned for your safety.

29 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Other than you can see ice but you can’t see black ice, hence the description. When I was a kid I slipped on some black ice on a drain cover and broke my arm. Just be thankful that your car is concerned for your safety.

It would be concerned for me just the same without the need to add colour to the equation.

Edited by Weston Super Saint

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Racist 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not so much racist but sexist; happy international Women's day.

I'll be doing my bit today as my 30 minute row this evening will attract a $5 donation from Concept 2 to mark the occasion and promote activity and sport in the lives of women and girls.

I shall, rightly, feel very proud of my achievement as I'm sure those women and girls would not be able to do any sport without my manly support!

https://log.concept2.com/challenges/iwd

Not so much racist but sexist; happy international Women's day.

I'll be doing my bit today as my 30 minute row this evening will attract a $5 donation from Concept 2 to mark the occasion and promote activity and sport in the lives of women and girls.

I shall, rightly, feel very proud of my achievement as I'm sure those women and girls would not be able to do any sport without my manly support!

https://log.concept2.com/challenges/iwd

there is already a thread on this

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I see London population is now 38% white British down from 97% in the 60s. Is it racist to point this out?

So you far right Islamophobes are saying the 62% should be imprisoned deported or worse?
Shocking that the country is now run by Katie Hopkins types and they influence so many. Anyway I am going back to my LBC phone in now I feel good about my admonishment. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I see London population is now 38% white British down from 97% in the 60s. Is it racist to point this out?

Depends doesn't it? If you are celebrating it and see london as an international hub, or whether you think that it is an issue and that only white people should be allowed to live there.  Its still majority white, and its still majority british, if that makes you feel a bit better?

Edited by pingpong
Typo

2 hours ago, pingpong said:

Depends doesn't it? If you are celebrating it and see london as an international hub, or whether you think that it is an issue and that only white people should be allowed to live there.  Its still majority white, and its still majority british, if that makes you feel a bit better?

Celebrating what exactly? 

it’s an interesting statistic I wonder how it compares to other major capital cities in the world. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Celebrating what exactly? 

it’s an interesting statistic I wonder how it compares to other major capital cities in the world. 

Celebrating that london is an international business hub attracting people (and money) from all over the world.

Aside from tokyo, the major cities are all quite similar. 

The following cities are all doing slightly better (more diverse/international) than london, but are fairly similar to be fair new york, Sydney, Melbourne, vancouver, Toronto, miami, la, singapore, dubai.

Dubai is the classic example I guess, hardly anyone living there is actually born there, and it is the extreme end of international business - and way too materialistic imo. An example where it goes too far.  But london is still far away from that.

• Like 1

It's just caused by different interpretations of the definition of racism.

There is a stipulative definition of racism that is based on racism = prejudice +power.

There is also the old simpler definition.

They are each used in different places / contexts.

In Australia, they use the former, hence why this guy apologised:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/10/craig-foster-apologises-to-sam-kerr-after-arguing-her-alleged-remark-to-uk-police-officer-was-racist

On 10/03/2024 at 20:27, pingpong said:

It's just caused by different interpretations of the definition of racism.

There is a stipulative definition of racism that is based on racism = prejudice +power.

There is also the old simpler definition.

They are each used in different places / contexts.

In Australia, they use the former, hence why this guy apologised:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/10/craig-foster-apologises-to-sam-kerr-after-arguing-her-alleged-remark-to-uk-police-officer-was-racist

The other definition is made up. 

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

The other definition is made up. 

Every definition is made up. But in this case, its a definition that has been used for decades, and is the older of the two, but it is very dependent on which country you are in and which definition they have adopted. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

Things that are racist?

I would surmise that anyone who disagrees with a SOG post would be classed as a racist.

An audition to join the SOG besotted, becoming quite a tribe

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

Things that are racist?

I would surmise that anyone who disagrees with a SOG post would be classed as a racist.

anyone other than SOG think falls into this category

Football management opportunities

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68584776

Delroy Corinaldi, of the Black Footballers Partnership, was on 5 Live earlier. Diplomatically avoiding a "is football racist?" question, he  and others, are looking to any new regulator to take action on the issue.

The link highlights a call for include diversity and inclusivity objectives in the Football Governance Bill announced today.

From the article "report by three academics looked at off-the-pitch careers of about 3,500 former footballers who played in the Premier League or Championship between 1990 and 2010.

It found that despite black players making up 25% of Uefa-issued coaching qualifications, in 2022 and 2023, they only accounted for 4% of all managerial roles."

43 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Delroy Corinaldi, of the Black Footballers Partnership, was on 5 Live earlier. Diplomatically avoiding a "is football racist?" question, he  and others, are looking to any new regulator to take action on the issue.

The link highlights a call for include diversity and inclusivity objectives in the Football Governance Bill announced today.

From the article "report by three academics looked at off-the-pitch careers of about 3,500 former footballers who played in the Premier League or Championship between 1990 and 2010.

It found that despite black players making up 25% of Uefa-issued coaching qualifications, in 2022 and 2023, they only accounted for 4% of all managerial roles."

Curious to how our antiwoke warriors on the forum rationalise this kind of report, data based, pretty stark.  Do they just think black people aren't as competent or can't lead, or will they just grumble about stats and damn stats etc?

And do they think it is a waste of money even looking at the problem? it's edi after all, and we know that is woke and racist...

Edited by pingpong

Something I don’t understand: assuming for one minute all football board members and their associated DoFs absolutely despise all black people BUT are willing to exploit black players for no reason other than to promote their own careers and profits… why aren’t they willing to do that with black managers?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pingpong said:

Curious to how our antiwoke warriors on the forum rationalise this kind of report, data based, pretty stark.  Do they just think black people aren't as competent or can't lead, or will they just grumble about stats and damn stats etc?

And do they think it is a waste of money even looking at the problem? it's edi after all, and we know that is woke and racist...

Equal opportunity does not equate to equal outcome.

15 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Something I don’t understand: assuming for one minute all football board members and their associated DoFs absolutely despise all black people BUT are willing to exploit black players for no reason other than to promote their own careers and profits… why aren’t they willing to do that with black managers?

That's kind of off the scale incorrect.

22 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

It's not difficult to work out why this is. If coaching qualifications were only given out from 2022 onwards it might be an issue but there are probably 1000s of coaches who qualified before 2022 who are in jobs already. So more of an interesting percentage would be all the qualified coaches out there how many are black and how many of those are employed and how long have they held their badges. This would give far more of an insight into if this really is a race problem or it being expected that newly qualifed coach should walk into a job because they're black

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Some organisations want to admit racism...

It just is okay, people just need to accept the report. We will never end racism whilst people carry on denying it. Just by being white you already have white priviledge. 

11 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Over the longer term the disparity probably narrows, but people are too impatient and want instant fixes.

Possibly. They certainly wouldn't be passing on the black Xabi Alonso because they're racist. If he was black and doing what he's doing this season you'd have the exact same clamour for his signature. 

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

It's not difficult to work out why this is. If coaching qualifications were only given out from 2022 onwards it might be an issue but there are probably 1000s of coaches who qualified before 2022 who are in jobs already. So more of an interesting percentage would be all the qualified coaches out there how many are black and how many of those are employed and how long have they held their badges. This would give far more of an insight into if this really is a race problem or it being expected that newly qualifed coach should walk into a job because they're black

You're talking as though black players have only been in the game for a short period of time.

8 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

You're talking as though black players have only been in the game for a short period of time.

We aren't talking about black players, this is about black coaches.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

so how many qualified black coaches are there?

I don't know, all I know is we've had black players all my football watching life, but we still have very few black managers. You would have thought the figure would be higher.