Things That are Racist

Turkish

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is that a system?  If so, the BBC needs to seriously change its recruitment procedures.  I'm sure there is plenty of evidence that supports this theory of a 'system' in practice.

Should be easy to get this 'system' highlighted and changed, given the unique way the BBC is funded.

If the BBC system is so racist I think more people should stop funding it. 

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is that a system?  If so, the BBC needs to seriously change its recruitment procedures.  I'm sure there is plenty of evidence that supports this theory of a 'system' in practice.

Should be easy to get this 'system' highlighted and changed, given the unique way the BBC is funded.

Whatever you call it my point was that he made the comments because he is against discrimination not because he hates all white people.

41 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Love the mental gymnastics that some resort to to defend racism when it's against white people. If a white person had said the same about black/brown people there would (quite rightly) have been loads of flack and they'd probably be cancelled.

I am absolutely convinced that if a white person had said this about another race there would be absolute uproar. On here there would be no defending him and making excuses, "well he doesn't hate all white people" "we'll listen to his program, he's not racist, what he meant was........" lines coming out from some on here. No telling everyone to stop being snowflakes like one of our denser posters told us. Certain other posters would be angrily thumping away about how disgusting it all is and they'd be protesting for weeks about it all.

Edited by Turkish

6 hours ago, aintforever said:

Whatever you call it my point was that he made the comments because he is against discrimination not because he hates all white people.

:lol:

He's against discrimination….unless it’s positive discrimination then he’s all for it because it’s better for his mental health to see less white people at work despite living in an overwhelmingly white country. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I am absolutely convinced that if a white person had said this about another race there would be absolute uproar. On here there would be no defending him and making excuses, "well he doesn't hate all white people" "we'll listen to his program, he's not racist, what he meant was........" lines coming out from some on here. No telling everyone to stop being snowflakes like one of our denser posters told us. Certain other posters would be angrily thumping away about how disgusting it all is and they'd be protesting for weeks about it all.

To be fair, White people say this shit all the time, it doesn't even make the news.

26 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

:lol:

He's against discrimination….unless it’s positive discrimination then he’s all for it because it’s better for his mental health to see less white people at work despite living in an overwhelmingly white country. 

I don't know if he's in favour of positive discrimination or not.

He made the speech at an organisation that helps people from all sorts of backgrounds into a journalism career with bursaries - and that includes white people (who he apparently hates according to our resident simpletons).

Edited by aintforever

34 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I don't know if he's in favour of positive discrimination or not.

He made the speech at an organisation that helps people from all sorts of backgrounds into a journalism career with bursaries - and that includes white people (who he apparently hates according to our resident simpletons).

Who has said he hates white people?

I always struggle why people think racism is binary “ they are a racist”  “i’m not a racist”. None of us are above having prejudices of some sort and some may be making generalisations that maybe ill informed but not necessarily racist. They don’t necessarily define you and clearly some people are far more racist than others but seems such a sensitive area now that some seem terrified of acknowledging anything. Wondering what colour a mixed race baby might be is frankly a normal question not a racist opinion. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Love the mental gymnastics that some resort to to defend racism when it's against white people. If a white person had said the same about black/brown people there would (quite rightly) have been loads of flack and they'd probably be cancelled.

Conversely, some people jump on something said by a BAME person, that wouldn't respond in the same way if it was said by a white person.

1 hour ago, whelk said:

I always struggle why people think racism is binary “ they are a racist”  “i’m not a racist”. None of us are above having prejudices of some sort and some may be making generalisations that maybe ill informed but not necessarily racist. They don’t necessarily define you and clearly some people are far more racist than others but seems such a sensitive area now that some seem terrified of acknowledging anything. Wondering what colour a mixed race baby might be is frankly a normal question not a racist opinion. 

The wondering what colour a baby's skin will be is no different to wondering what colour their hair or eyes will be.

My daughter is a student midwife and she has heard parents wonder about this.

Edited by Fan The Flames

4 hours ago, whelk said:

I also think the people who are over the top with their anti racism are racist. They have the patronising the savages need my help and sympathy attitude. These People are desperate to be seen as the most outraged to show what a good person they are, it’s about making them feel better or relevant. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I also think the people who are over the top with their anti racism are racist. They have the patronising the savages need my help and sympathy attitude. These People are desperate to be seen as the most outraged to show what a good person they are, it’s about making them feel better or relevant. 

Yeah definitely elements of that with some who seem to want to highlight in patronising way unlike others who genuinely don’t give a shit and don’t focus on race.

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What famous white people say this then?

All the usual suspects. How many times have you heard the likes of Morgan, vine etc complain about all the black and brown people in TV ads? I guarantee there are people on  this forum who have complained that tv ads have too many non white faces in them, and there is no uproar, no cancelling, no complaints.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pingpong said:

All the usual suspects. How many times have you heard the likes of Morgan, vine etc complain about all the black and brown people in TV ads? I guarantee there are people on  this forum who have complained that tv ads have too many non white faces in them, and there is no uproar, no cancelling, no complaints.

Ah right

8 hours ago, pingpong said:

Positive racism is still racism. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pingpong said:

I have never complained about it myself as I don't really watch TV ads, but I believe the line of argument is not that black and brown people exist in TV ads, it's that the number of families containing individuals of mixed races is vastly disproportionate to reality to the extent that all white families are rarely if ever featured in TV adverts. Again, it's not something I particularly care about, but it's worth being accurate. 

45 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I have never complained about it myself as I don't really watch TV ads, but I believe the line of argument is not that black and brown people exist in TV ads, it's that the number of families containing individuals of mixed races is vastly disproportionate to reality to the extent that all white families are rarely if ever featured in TV adverts. Again, it's not something I particularly care about, but it's worth being accurate. 

It's become a bit of a joke in our house whenever there is a new drama on TV. There is always at least one white, one black, one Asian, one disabled and one gay or trans, often a couple. It's like playing diversity bingo. It's not a problem but it's funny to see them all pop up right on cue. 

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It's become a bit of a joke in our house whenever there is a new drama on TV. There is always at least one white, one black, one Asian, one disabled and one gay or trans, often a couple. It's like playing diversity bingo. It's not a problem but it's funny to see them all pop up right on cue. 

Sounds like a right laugh round your gaff.

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

After having a non-white Anne Boleyn and a non-white Catherine of Mecklenburg I am wondering which character in the upcoming drama series on William the Conqueror will be 're-imagined' to make it more relevant.

30 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

After having a non-white Anne Boleyn and a non-white Catherine of Mecklenburg I am wondering which character in the upcoming drama series on William the Conqueror will be 're-imagined' to make it more relevant.

He’ll probably be a Muslim trans person 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

I salute the good intentions and all that but in crime dramas in particular it is actually becoming an issue. Good writing normally has a number of characters in the frame for the perpetrator of the crime, but you find yourself ruling out the suspects based on the fact that there is no way that it can be allowed to be anybody with the most tenuous link to a 'disadvantaged group'. Next time try and pick the villain based on who it is allowed to be. 

So to be clear.

Brown person complains that too many writers in film are white, because it doesn't match the reality of our society. Racist.

White person complains that too many actors in tv ads are brown, because it doesn't match the reality of our society. Not racist, just spitting facts.

1 hour ago, pingpong said:

White person complains that too many actors in tv ads are brown, because it doesn't match the reality of our society. Not racist, just spitting facts.

So even mentioning what is obvious positive discrimination is now racist?

Oh dear.

5 hours ago, pingpong said:

And it turns out, the people who '"don't see colour", very much do see colour when it's an asian actor on doctor who. Who knew...

Lots of people get annoyed that historical figures that we know what they looked like are portrayed as a different ethnicity in a show that is at least partially about educating. I'd feel the same way if Newton was black and lmayed by a white actor. Not that I watch doctor who anyway so it largely doesn't matter. 

5 hours ago, pingpong said:

So to be clear.

Brown person complains that too many writers in film are white, because it doesn't match the reality of our society. Racist.

Should all professions match the reality of our society? (if that is what he's saying, I'm not sure that it was.) I think it's a pertinent fact to consider the motivations behind almost every advert having mixed race families in them. At best it's a little odd. 

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Should all professions match the reality of our society? (if that is what he's saying, I'm not sure that it was.) I think it's a pertinent fact to consider the motivations behind almost every advert having mixed race families in them. At best it's a little odd. 

They are just trying to sell stuff.

46 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

They are just trying to sell stuff.

Ultimately that's the goal yes. I'm not sure that's always the motivation for many companies. Look at Disney currently crashing and burning for trying to push agendas in their films (something their CEO has been explicit about changing course on last week.) It seems that in that case at least, selling stuff isn't the only motivation. 

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Ultimately that's the goal yes. I'm not sure that's always the motivation for many companies. Look at Disney currently crashing and burning for trying to push agendas in their films (something their CEO has been explicit about changing course on last week.) It seems that in that case at least, selling stuff isn't the only motivation. 

They do the corporate responsibility thing because they hope it will help them sell more stuff. When it doesn't, they don't do it. No big conspiracy mate.

33 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

They do the corporate responsibility thing because they hope it will help them sell more stuff. When it doesn't, they don't do it. No big conspiracy mate.

It's a cumulative thing; each company individually does the 'corporate responsibility' thing and shows they are an inclusive entity. When half the adverts in a commercial break have mixed race couples, people see something that is disproportionate to their experience.

It's bollocks though really. How many non-white people sit in the boardrooms of these oh so inclusive companies? It's sweet that the evil white colonialist pigs are patting a few savages on the head and no doubt feeling worthy and cleansed of their past sins I suppose. TV ads have rarely reflected real life, but now they're nearly all racist.

3 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

With asset management firms like Blackrock providing finance that they need to exist to corporations who sign up to DEI initiatives, there's an argument to be made that the most important thing at present is not to sell stuff but to satisfy their inclusion and diversity requirements. 

Edited by hypochondriac

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

With asset management firms like Blackrock providing finance that they need to exist to corporations who sign up to DEI initiatives, there's an argument to be made that the most important thing at present is not to sell stuff but to satisfy their inclusion and diversity requirements. 

Budweiser for example