Saints 'B' Team

SuperSAINT

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Took a funny bounce, but he just blasted over an open goal from 6 yards.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

There's someone on the YouTube feed actually slagging the kid off and calling him useless etc....

Which player(s)?

1 minute ago, Master Bates said:

Pearce penalty and a beautiful low shot by Gomes Rodriguez on his debut.

For Spurs, Kuntz, Kuntz and Kuntz

Says Bragg penalty on the coverage scoreboard.

From what i saw, very similar to the first team, lots of possession but little end product.  Had we taken our chances we could've won comfortably,  but in good old saints fashion we contrive to lose it.  Hi hum onwards and upwards. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We was robbed. Great match to watch and boy, do we have some brilliant young talent in the B team. Roll forward three or four years and wowie could be really exciting.

We won't be keeping Gomes (or Miles) They're both getting national attention already and only 15. Could be another JJM situation.

Just now, SaintNewForest said:

We won't be keeping Gomes (or Miles) They're both getting national attention already and only 15. Could be another JJM situation.

Sadly that's probably the case. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

Sadly that's probably the case. 

It's a shame, as its probably best for their careers to break through here and then make the step up. But the finances and the stature will sadly talk. 

Morgan would probably be in our first team now. At Chelsea he's a nobody with no pathway.

5 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

It's a shame, as its probably best for their careers to break through here and then make the step up. But the finances and the stature will sadly talk. 

Morgan would probably be in our first team now. At Chelsea he's a nobody with no pathway.

Sadly money talks, and lots of these kids seem unable to look at the bigger picture of their career beyond that tempting 1st contract from the likes of Chelsea. 

I'm not sure Morgan would be in our first team yet, but he'd doubtless be in or around the squad.  

• Like 1

Those first big contracts are life changing though, so I can’t blame them. JJM has already received life changing amounts of money and he’s not even been at Chelsea a year. It’s even harder to keep them when they’ve no connection to Saints through family/support. 

If I had the opportunity to move from Crystal Palace youth to a top 6 youth team and double my wage it would be an easy decision. 

Edited by LGTL

33 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Those first big contracts are life changing though, so I can’t blame them. JJM has already received life changing amounts of money and he’s not even been at Chelsea a year. It’s even harder to keep them when they’ve no connection to Saints through family/support. 

If I had the opportunity to move from Crystal Palace youth to a top 6 youth team and double my wage it would be an easy decision. 

The money from the initial contract only goes so far, and if the kid does not play, he then fades into obscurity. 

Personally, if I had the opportunity to play regular football at a decent level, prove myself and then get a big move, I'd like to think that I'd be advised to take that rather than go to a big club where my bank account and ego would get a short term boost, but where I'll only ever play kids football or get loaned to a Belgian league or similar. 

• Like 1

Morgan is injured, quite a serious one soon after he joined Chelsea so lets not start waffling about how he's lost in Chelsea's system.

Also find it really funny when people have a pop at young players daring to have ambition and backing themselves to be a success at a big club. Might not be common or an easy pathway but if JJM's serious injury took place whilst he was here, not only would his career be set back but he'd be years away from a dream move to a big club. When kids make moves they are just being ambitious and backing themselves, it's not a pathway for everyone, it's really easy to say "just stay and make a name for yourself here" but there's no guarantee that happens and they might be losing a big opportunity they won't get again. Feels like the "all about the money" stuff is just far too easy to say.

I would also point out you only need to look at some of the players we have signed from City to see the education you get at a top level youth team and the levels you can reach. It has it's perks even if you don't make the first team.

Also, as a side note, I saw some people having a pop at giving Vokins minutes on Twitter. The idea you just drop and ignore someone who came through the academy is really moronic on so many levels. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Morgan is injured, quite a serious one soon after he joined Chelsea so lets not start waffling about how he's lost in Chelsea's system.

Also find it really funny when people have a pop at young players daring to have ambition and backing themselves to be a success at a big club. Might not be common or an easy pathway but if JJM's serious injury took place whilst he was here, not only would his career be set back but he'd be years away from a dream move to a big club. When kids make moves they are just being ambitious and backing themselves, it's not a pathway for everyone, it's really easy to say "just stay and make a name for yourself here" but there's no guarantee that happens and they might be losing a big opportunity they won't get again. Feels like the "all about the money" stuff is just far too easy to say.

I would also point out you only need to look at some of the players we have signed from City to see the education you get at a top level youth team and the levels you can reach. It has it's perks even if you don't make the first team.

Also, as a side note, I saw some people having a pop at giving Vokins minutes on Twitter. The idea you just drop and ignore someone who came through the academy is really moronic on so many levels. 

Morgan isn't injured. He's been playing again since the summer. He had an injury (ironically picked up in his Chelsea medical) but all sorted now. 

He's not exactly a stand out for them in their academy sides, lost his place in the England sides and will never make the first team there, so I would argue he's lost in that system. His choice, he's got the glitz, glamour and finances of playing for Chelsea at least. 

Maybe he should have backed himself capable of doing a Bale, Walcott or Chamberlain. Would've been a risk, but it's no different to backing himself as making it at Chelsea (lol) in the confidence levels.

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

Morgan isn't injured. He's been playing again since the summer. He had an injury (ironically picked up in his Chelsea medical) but all sorted now. 

He's not exactly a stand out for them in their academy sides, lost his place in the England sides and will never make the first team there, so I would argue he's lost in that system. His choice, he's got the glitz, glamour and finances of playing for Chelsea at least. 

Maybe he should have backed himself capable of doing a Bale, Walcott or Chamberlain. Would've been a risk, but it's no different to backing himself as making it at Chelsea (lol) in the confidence levels.

Hadn't realised he was back yet, my bad. And fwiw he absolutely had no issues backing himself at doing a Bale, Walcott, Chamberlain but wasn't given a chance when he evidently felt he deserved one (debatable of course) and that led him to wanting to leave. 

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

It's ok, we all get stuff "wrong" on here from time to time... ;)

My point still stands fwiw. He's not lost at Chelsea just because he's not in the first team at the age of 17/18. There's plenty at this club of that age not in the first team, and they aren't lost. He wasn't given chances he wanted here and he went elsewhere. We've praised many young players signing for us for doing the same, the difference being he moved upwards. 

11 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

Big-name club YES,  but JJ  must surely realise that he is a very small fish in the Chelsea ocean, which means that you are.... just another name on the payroll.

I noted that some years back .. Chelsea had 35 players OUT ON LOAN to various League clubs in one season, so it's a hard road to the top at Chelsea.

Recalling that Tyler Dibling previously tried his luck at Chelsea, (returned last year after being unable to settle there) but now has a second chance to

get minutes with the first team whilst his nearest rival ...Dom Ballard  is out for the rest of the season after his injury whilst on loan at Reading.

Young talented players are walking a tightrope and avoiding injury whilst fighting for bench place in the first team, so we should wish them better luck

when properly fit - which means a darn sight more than just being able to kick a ball when back on the practice ground.

Friendly: Exeter City U21s 3

Saints U21s 2

Dibling and Oyekunle scoring. 

Southampton: Mohamed, Davis, Awe, Moore, Meghoma, Miles, Amo-Ameyaw, Stepien-Iwumene, Pearce, Dibling, Merry. 

Subs: Armitage, Moody, Oyekunle, Abu, Daley, Carson, Ehibhatiomhan. 

Edited by Master Bates
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Friendly: Exeter City U21s 3

Saints U21s 2

Dibling and Oyekunle scoring. 

Southampton: Mohamed, Davis, Awe, Moore, Meghoma, Miles, Amo-Ameyaw, Stepien-Iwumene, Pearce, Dibling, Merry. 

Subs: Armitage, Moody, Oyekunle, Abu, Daley, Carson, Ehibhatiomhan. 

Cheers MB. The under 21's seem to be struggling at the moment.