Adam Lallana

Trader

3 minutes ago, bugenhagen said:

No problem with speculating, but getting so mad and worked up over this transfer is just...

….a sign that they care about their club or they have an opinion. Haven’t seen anyone getting mad in particular.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

….a sign that they care about their club or they have an opinion. Haven’t seen anyone getting mad in particular.

Sorry, couldn't be bothered to finish the sentence about a player I think will have about the same impact as Rothwell had...

minus the goals 😉

3 hours ago, Weston Saint said:

I see this thread is descending, like many others, into speculative, ill informed, prejudicial and unsubstantiated comments. Why am I not surprised! 

Go SaintsWeb!

Wait. You meant that in a bad way, didn't you?... 🙂

2 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

First signing in a long time I can say I'm genuinely unhappy to see at the club. I'll cheer him on but he has a hell of a lot to do to impress me. 

It’s kind of a position we don’t really need too .. if he’s gonna play left wing at least ..we have Fraser and two promising ones in edozie and sulemana ..

not sure he offers enough defensively to play play in the Stuart Armstrong role 

8 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

First signing in a long time I can say I'm genuinely unhappy to see at the club. I'll cheer him on but he has a hell of a lot to do to impress me. 

Let it go.

Remember the overreaction to Hoddle’s potential return back in 2004? We ended up with Luggy, setting the wheels in motion for relegation. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

It’s kind of a position we don’t really need too .. if he’s gonna play left wing at least ..we have Fraser and two promising ones in edozie and sulemana ..

Yeah but he doesn't just play on the left. I have it on good authority that he plays on the right too.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

He won't play left wing. He'll be part of a midfield 3 I'd imagine, and I'm not sure he'd offer any less defensively than Stu Armstrong did. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scully said:

Yeah not feeling this. How much of the wage budget will this eat into? Would rather invest in future talent like brighton do instead of taking their cast offs

Let's say £50k per week wages = £2.6m per year (assuming it is paid on a 'contractor' basis rather than PAYE, so no additional NI, pension etc etc).

£0 transfer fee.

Compare that to Tall Paul for example where it cost £18m in transfer fees PLUS wages on top of that.

It really isn't that much in footballing terms.

• Like 1

As he was the club's guest at the play-off final and word is the deal was done sometime ago is it safe to assume he would have signed had we still been in The Championship?

I'm just thinking that given the experienced players we would have undoubtedly lost then his signing might not have caused such confusion and would have made a lot more sense for his experience and helping the young players. I mean I still think thats mainly going to be his role whilst learning Russball and being ready to go on the coaching staff when he hangs up his boots. 

Anyway as I said before if he comes off the bench and scores or makes the goal that ultimately keeps us up next season then that'll be justification (and retribution for past sins 😉) right there.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

As he was the club's guest at the play-off final and word is the deal was done sometime ago is it safe to assume he would have signed had we still been in The Championship?

I'm just thinking that given the experienced players we would have undoubtedly lost then his signing might not have caused such confusion and would have made a lot more sense for his experience and helping the young players. I mean I still think thats mainly going to be his role whilst learning Russball and being ready to go on the coaching staff when he hangs up his boots. 

Anyway as I said before if he comes off the bench and scores or makes the goal that ultimately keeps us up next season then that'll be justification (and retribution for past sins 😉) right there.

Good post Beatle Saint.

Whether they like ... the deal .. or not, Lallana's critics were amongst the first to caste stones, whilst forgetting some of them live in glass houses.

There is no argument to be had over a player who comes on a free transfer, and is given a one year deal...(regardless of how much we pay him).

Given the man's experience ...we've rarely signed anyone with better qualifications... for such a small outlay.  Even for just one year - it's a bargain. 

NO - he won't play many 90 minute games, but a quick check back on the likes of Stuart Armstrong, and even Adam A... and Che Adams will

show that they rarely played full 90 minute games and were either subbed (off ...or, on) ...on many occasions. 

COMPARE ... with the deals for Sulemana ...20 million + on a 4 year deal.   Onuachu for 16 million ? .on a three year contract which means that 

even the transfer of Ross Stewart ....for 8 million and 2-3 years future,  ran up a huge debt - if you look long and hard at the total expense involved  

in fees and salaries over the period of those deals.    We will be lucky to recover half of that amount if the players concerned move on elsewhere. 

I expect more " free "  deals, which is a bonus when you consider the " nil outlay ",  and doesn't necessarily mean the player is unwanted / no good

but that a well-planned move can be beneficial for both the player .....and his new club.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Ok. Adam Lallana has got more England caps medals and trophies than Flynn Downes, Will Smallbone, Joe Aribo and She Charles combined. He also has more medals than RM, Jack Stephens, Ryan Manning, Ross Stewart, Che Adams, Adam Armstrong, Sam Edozie, Kameldeen  Sulemana, Sekou Mara, Charlie Alcaraz and Ryan Fraser. Have I missed any other Saints forwards or midfielders?
Happy now?

He recently was invited to England training so he is obviously highly thought of - and ambitious -  and given there’s obvious vacancies at SFC U21 level coaching I’d not be surprised to see him getting involved somehow. 

The players will respect him and will listen. And if they don’t they are idiots. That’s part of why he’s brought in. 

We you they know he is 36 and know he had zero goals and 2 assists last year. But Brighton did not seem a shit team because they had him in the squad and coming off the bench. And he can say “ show me your medals” to anyone in that dressing room- and win. 

He’ll always have more England caps than Northern Ireland international Shea Charles.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Chez said:

The Nigerian? 

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother in the mid 2000s where he suggested a young Victor Anichebe for the England squad saying "he brings something to the table no other player would" and I said "yeah, a Nigerian passport".

54 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He’ll always have more England caps than Northern Ireland international Shea Charles.

And even more than Nigerian international Joe Aribo and Ireland international Will Smallbone? But how can you be certain about that? 😂

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Ok. Adam Lallana has got more England caps medals and trophies than Flynn Downes, Will Smallbone, Joe Aribo and She Charles combined. He also has more medals than RM, Jack Stephens, Ryan Manning, Ross Stewart, Che Adams, Adam Armstrong, Sam Edozie, Kameldeen  Sulemana, Sekou Mara, Charlie Alcaraz and Ryan Fraser. Have I missed any other Saints forwards or midfielders?
Happy now?

But he has less Irish, Nigerian and Northern Irish caps than they have. Actually Joe Aribo has the same number of international caps as Lallana does, but admittedly they are not English caps (he probably has more now, because his 34 were as of Feb 24).

19 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

But he has less Irish, Nigerian and Northern Irish caps than they have. Actually Joe Aribo has the same number of international caps as Lallana does, but admittedly they are not English caps (he probably has more now, because his 34 were as of Feb 24).

Adam has had more Nivea contracts than any of them. FACT.
I think that’s going to silence you and any doubters as to the suitability of his recruitment - and the softness of his skin.

And as if there’s any doubting thomases out there when you pick up that free sample of hand face cream that’s waiting on your seat / leaning rail for the opening day match you know all will be forgiven.

When you /we all clap Adam iur hands will make a pleasant schlepping sound which will be unique feature of the Northam Wall-of-Sound. And become noted ( and acclaimed) throughout the EPL 
Maybe bit too much sun. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Adam has had more Nivea contracts than any of them. FACT.
I think that’s going to silence you and any doubters as to the suitability of his recruitment - and the softness of his skin.

And as if there’s any doubting thomases out there when you pick up that free sample of hand face cream that’s waiting on your seat / leaning rail for the opening day match you know all will be forgiven.

When you /we all clap Adam iur hands will make a pleasant schlepping sound which will be unique feature of the Northam Wall-of-Sound. And become noted ( and acclaimed) throughout the EPL 
Maybe bit too much sun. 

He did not have a Nivea contract. Liverpool did and under terms of his contract with Liverpool he had to support any advertising initiative.

20 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

He did not have a Nivea contract. Liverpool did and under terms of his contract with Liverpool he had to support any advertising initiative.

But do you deny that 8 out of 10 users said that Nivea made them a better footballer? That sort of marginal gain could be priceless at end of season. “ Silky hands “ Alex McCarthy will vouch for that. Do you honestly think his silky hands goalkeeping performances at season end and Adams reintroduction are coincidental? 

Edited by gio1saints

23 hours ago, egg said:

He won't play left wing. He'll be part of a midfield 3 I'd imagine, and I'm not sure he'd offer any less defensively than Stu Armstrong did. 

Why are you so sure he won’t play there .. it was absolutely his best position before he left us He might not have been used there much after cos of mane etc .

regarding being as good defensively as stu I just think Armstrong did at least have a engine 

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Why are you so sure he won’t play there .. it was absolutely his best position before he left us He might not have been used there much after cos of mane etc .

regarding being as good defensively as stu I just think Armstrong did at least have a engine 

Because he hasnt played there for 5+ years.

I think Lallana is being brought in for two key reasons (among others).  Firstly exceptionally positive PL experience.  He hasn't just got the underdog / survivors mentality, he knows what it feels like and is required to win the thing.  Secondly, he can retain possession, which is going to be very important to Russ as we are going to be under a lot more pressure from opponents next season.  That ability might help in situations where we want to control the game - perhaps hang onto a slim lead.

• Like 2

On 15/06/2024 at 10:09, Matthew Le God said:

It is not evidence at all... because they are not the same person. How Walcott did or didn't do is completely and utterly irrelevant to what Lallana will do.

Oh dear! Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Dusic said:

Because he hasnt played there for 5+ years.

Well it’s still the position he played his best football from. Suits all the cruyff turns etc 

It’s understandable why he wasn’t used there at Liverpool at least 

4 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Well it’s still the position he played his best football from. Suits all the cruyff turns etc 

It’s understandable why he wasn’t used there at Liverpool at least 

If we stick him on the left wing and he tries to do the Cruyff turn and sprint away from someone like he used to he'll be down injured within 10 minutes. 

On 16/06/2024 at 12:38, Saint_clark said:

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother in the mid 2000s where he suggested a young Victor Anichebe for the England squad saying "he brings something to the table no other player would" and I said "yeah, a Nigerian passport".

I bet 20 years ago you or your brother didn't think you'd still be living off that witty retort.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

I bet 20 years ago you or your brother didn't think you'd still be living off that witty retort.

Literally the first time it's ever come up - funnily enough this thread is probably only the second time in my life the topic of Nigerian passports has been raised - but ok. 

While I can turn a blind eye to the circumstances of his departure to Liverpool and I can can concede a 36 year old may still have something to offer in the PL, I would say the deal breaker for me is his vulnerability to injuries and his inability to manage even one full game in over 3 years of football.

• Like 3

It’s bound to be only beneficial for the youngsters in the first team, and not forgetting 23s and younger.

I’d take a good very professional experienced prem 36 something player all day long.

This one just happens to know the club inside out,has a history and still must have a very special part in his heart. 

But genuinely think he can help RM with his knowledge of the club.

A make weight if you like between the team and management, which is what we will need even more this coming season.

Only positives imo, and can’t be taking too much from the wage kitty at his age. Financials probably doesn’t come into tbf for him or us. 

1 hour ago, Saint Gifford said:

It’s bound to be only beneficial for the youngsters in the first team, and not forgetting 23s and younger.

I’d take a good very professional experienced prem 36 something player all day long.

This one just happens to know the club inside out,has a history and still must have a very special part in his heart. 

But genuinely think he can help RM with his knowledge of the club.

A make weight if you like between the team and management, which is what we will need even more this coming season.

Only positives imo, and can’t be taking too much from the wage kitty at his age. Financials probably doesn’t come into tbf for him or us. 

Speaking of RM has he commented on the signing as of yet?

7 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Speaking of RM has he commented on the signing as of yet?

Russell Martin said: “I’m delighted that we could bring Adam back home to where it all began for him. Adam has the DNA of this club running through him and brings vital experience as we prepare for the Premier League. 

“We’re going to need everyone to play a part again this coming season and Adam helps us create real depth and know-how in midfield.” [SaintsFC OS]

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

While I can turn a blind eye to the circumstances of his departure to Liverpool and I can can concede a 36 year old may still have something to offer in the PL, I would say the deal breaker for me is his vulnerability to injuries and his inability to manage even one full game in over 3 years of football.

And yet, you have no idea what his contract terms are....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

What’s his contract terms got to do with the point FF made about not finishing a game in 3 years?

Because if his contract says he is paid per game played, if he doesn't play any games, he doesn't get paid.

Seems pretty fucking simple?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Because if his contract says he is paid per game played, if he doesn't play any games, he doesn't get paid.

I doubt on any level, a premier league player would agree to that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Seems a pretty fucking simple "no" from every single Premier League player and every single Premier League agent.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Pretty fuckin simple to totally miss the point that he’s talking about how much use he’s gonna be playing wise rather than his salary wise arse !!

And you really think anyone in any profession agrees to those terms? Who’s the simple one pal?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Russell Martin said: “I’m delighted that we could bring Adam back home to where it all began for him. Adam has the DNA of this club running through him and brings vital experience as we prepare for the Premier League. 

“We’re going to need everyone to play a part again this coming season and Adam helps us create real depth and know-how in midfield.” [SaintsFC OS]

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Unless his contract says he doesn't get paid unless he complete a full game, which it won't, his contract seems irrelevant to the discussion around his inability to play a full 90 minutes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/06/2024 at 19:36, ErwinK1961 said:

A weird infatuation, with a grand total of..2 players (one not yet confirmed).

There you go, now we are In for oxlade chamberlain also .. 

out of the big 4 youngsters we sold from the academy the only one we haven’t got back is bale .. I think it is a obsession 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Adam Lallana
29 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

out of the big 4 youngsters we sold from the academy the only one we haven’t got back is bale .. I think it is a obsession 

Based on a random tweet from some turkish person.

I’d wait until he’s at staplewood holding a scarf before you start thinking you’ve proved any sort of “obsession”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Luke Shaw? Callum Chambers?

• 1 month later...

Bumping threads tonight. 

Gotta say he never gave the ball away, communicated with the youngsters well, sat deep when Wood was struggling. Obviously has positive influence behind the scenes and wants to do his coaching. Keep him fit and he’ll be a key figure in staying up this year. 

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Wiggles31 said:

Bumping threads tonight. 

Gotta say he never gave the ball away, communicated with the youngsters well, sat deep when Wood was struggling. Obviously has positive influence behind the scenes and wants to do his coaching. Keep him fit and he’ll be a key figure in staying up this year. 

TBH I think he could be a key figure for the club for years to come, long after his playing days are finished. He’s been there, done that, got every t shirt under the sun and apparently is an excellent communicator. 

Future academy guru?

• Like 1