Adam Lallana

Trader

This is nothing like the Walcott signing - he came in when the club was in terminal decline during a torrid season, whereas Lallana is coming into a squad on a high with a renewed purpose. I reckon if he scores a first goal he’ll be the darling once again. If he sits on the bench and does the same role as Armstrong and Rothwell in terms of offering experience and leadership then it’s probably good business. 

Now, having said all that and resolved my mind to where we are, I’m still of a mind that it feels uncomfortable taking back has-been players when you’d think we’d want fresh talent. Perhaps there’s some form of Brighton empathy for Russ & Lallana. Whatever, he’s here…he’ll be wearing the red and white again…he’ll need our support.

Not overly keen on the signing purely for footballing reasons as I'm not sure what he has to offer at this stage of his career. Couldn't really give a toss what happened when he left, it's ancient history now.

Regardless, he's now a Saint so we need to support him.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Colinjb said:

For reasons that have already been done to death. Not impressed.

He is not welcome.

Strange timing to announce it with the Euros starting tonight, trying to bury bad news when attention is elsewhere?

I swear to god I was going to post earlier that I wouldn't be surprised if they announced his signing tonight, as attention would be on the Euros, but then again, the window opened today, so it was bound to be announced today at some point.

18 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

This is nothing like the Walcott signing - he came in when the club was in terminal decline during a torrid season, whereas Lallana is coming into a squad on a high with a renewed purpose. I reckon if he scores a first goal he’ll be the darling once again. If he sits on the bench and does the same role as Armstrong and Rothwell in terms of offering experience and leadership then it’s probably good business. 

Now, having said all that and resolved my mind to where we are, I’m still of a mind that it feels uncomfortable taking back has-been players when you’d think we’d want fresh talent. Perhaps there’s some form of Brighton empathy for Russ & Lallana. Whatever, he’s here…he’ll be wearing the red and white again…he’ll need our support.

Plus Lallana has always been a better football player than Walcott. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Now, there's a debate. 

Who was better? The Rat or the Speed Merchant? 

I would bet the Rat would have loved to score a hat trick vs Croatia and a goal at the Euros v Sweden. 

I'm on team Theo as the better player. 

Edited by Colinjb

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

maybe, but Walcott signed a first professional contract, when he didn't need to, that guaranteed us £10m quid, at a time when we really really needed it. He's a fucking Saints legend in my eyes, no matter how his return to the club turned out. 

• Like 16

1 minute ago, Chez said:

maybe, but Walcott signed a first professional contract, when he didn't need to, that guaranteed us £10m quid, at a time when we really really needed it. He's a fucking Saints legend in my eyes, no matter how his return to the club turned out. 

Indeed, I have absolutely no issue with Walcott at all. I just don't think you can compare the two returns.

• Like 4

Not much love for him on the Brighton forum. 100 appearances but never played 90 (though he never has) only 3 goals, £100k p/w wages, kept the physios busy. I imagine it’ll be much the same for us. 

Meh

Edited by Jack

11 minutes ago, Jack said:

Not much love for him on the Brighton forum. 100 appearances but never played 90 (though he never has) only 3 goals, £100k p/w wages, kept the physios busy. I imagine it’ll be much the same for us. 

Meh

How can you love someone who only loves himself?

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

he came in when the club was in terminal decline during a torrid season

A little bit revisionist I think.

Walcott joined us for the season we easily avoided relegation and we got to Wembley in the FA Cup semi. It wasn’t that torrid and it was not a club "in terminal decline" at the point of his signing. We'd finished 11th the season before.

The season we are going into is a far more certain relegation battle than the season Theo re-joined us. Far more.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Delighted he’s back. One of the most talented players I’ve seen play for us in my 40 years watching. Cant remember being as gutted about any departure as when he left. When he did the off I put my son’s Lallana shirt straight in the wheely bin … unfortunately the boy was still wearing it … he must be 19 now, so i’m hoping to seeing em both back at SMS next season.. on form 

• Haha 7

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Doesn't see like he's acknowledged how he left or given any sort of contrition which is a shame. Would have been a good opprtunity to address it for those who still have reservations and move on. 

To be fair, it wouldn’t mean a thing for me.  My only judgement of him now is based purely on how he plays.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

To be fair, it wouldn’t mean a thing for me.  My only judgement of him now is based purely on how he plays.

I was talking about the wider fan base. There's clearly still some people who aren't welcoming him with open arms particularly and a sensible pr move on his part would have been to allude to his actions and appear humble. Certainly wouldn't have done him any harm but maybe he will do an interview with Adam Blackmore. 

9 hours ago, Jack said:

Meh

That is woeful .Hope it does not follow with us. Not keen at all.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I was talking about the wider fan base. There's clearly still some people who aren't welcoming him with open arms particularly and a sensible pr move on his part would have been to allude to his actions and appear humble. Certainly wouldn't have done him any harm but maybe he will do an interview with Adam Blackmore. 

I don't think the noise on here is a reflection of the wider fan base. You've only got to see the more sensible reaction elsewhere.

You won't hear the club apologise for their part in what happened 10 years ago, and you won't hear him. It's done. He's grown up and the club is a different animal these days. The resentments are pathetic. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I guess a lot depends on the role, and indeed wages that have been agreed.

He's no fee, hopefully on much reduced wages and could add experience to both the club and maybe some limited game time.

• Like 1

I assume having lost Stu 😞 and maybe not being able to get Brooks back, we needed someone with a bit of creativity as well as PL experience on the right flank / attacking mid. Lallana wouldn't have been my first choice but why not. One year contract with a probable pathway to the coaching setup for one of our most decorated academy players doesn't seem too leftfield a choice by the management team. RM is no fool and likely recognises the need for a few older heads to support him next season.

The guy seems genuinely invested in the club and probably sees the opportunity to redeem himself for his less than elegant exit.
Help us stay up and as Master Sergeant Farell said: Battle is the Great Redeemer.

10 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Well...he may not be the player he was 10 years ago, and we are likely to be his last club at Prem. level and despite those "fans" with long

memories who still  hold a grudge, (we all know who you are ),  I think he would have been daft to have refused a move to Liverpool

when he was on the verge of the England squad and Saints were struggling. 

He DAJF LIverpool, and won praise from Klopp and nailed down an England spot for several years.  Not so bad. 

His move to Brighton was an obvious step down from Klopp's  all-conquering Liverpool, and now hopefully he may still have a few miles left in him.

YES.... we need some new blood, but even a year (or two) from Adam may help stabilise the team and keep us in the top tier. 

As for Lallana as Saints player, few can deny that he didn't have skill and his  60-odd  goals plus countless assists proved that he was

excellent playing from a midfield position.  His partnership with Lambert seemed almost telepathic and was a joy to watch and if he can

contribute a good 60 minutes to every game, it will be a worthwhile investment and provide good experience for Russell Martin's

" new look" squad that must be conjured up - before August. 

A one year contract is a sensible deal and if he can still put in a shift by June next year ..who knows how long he might last?.            

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RedWillie said:

Reality check needed. He's only ever going to be a bit- part player, focusing more on coaching.

well surely that can't be a bad thing.   Every player needs a life after they hang up their boots, and his pedigree speaks for itself. 

If he stays on after he eventually finishes his playing career ...it'll be a win-win situation. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

well surely that can't be a bad thing.   Every player needs a life after they hang up their boots, and his pedigree speaks for itself. 

If he stays on after he eventually finishes his playing career ...it'll be a win-win situation. 

Depending on if he is any good.

1 hour ago, RedWillie said:

Reality check needed. He's only ever going to be a bit- part player, focusing more on coaching.

I think that is exactly the reality under discussion here.

Even the most enthusiastic pant-creamers don't think he's going to play much.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I think that is exactly the reality under discussion here.

Even the most enthusiastic pant-creamers don't think he's going to play much.

I don't think he'll play much, or contribute much when he does. Some ain't focusing on the reality though, they're stuck in 2014. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, egg said:

I don't think he'll play much, or contribute much when he does. Some ain't focusing on the reality though, they're stuck in 2014. 

Feel free to point to one poster who thinks he's going to play any more than "not much".

There isn't anyone. That's the reality.

But I do agree with your general point though - the people who think this is a great idea are indeed stuck in 2014.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

Well...he may not be the player he was 10 years ago, and we are likely to be his last club at Prem. level and despite those "fans" with long

memories who still  hold a grudge, (we all know who you are ),  I think he would have been daft to have refused a move to Liverpool

He DAJF LIverpool, and won praise from Klopp and nailed down an England spot for several years.  Not so bad. 

His move to Brighton was an obvious step down from Klopp's  all-conquering Liverpool, and now hopefully he may still have a few miles left in him.

YES.... we need some new blood, but even a year (or two) from Adam may help stabilise the team and keep us in the top tier. 

As for Lallana as Saints player, few can deny that he didn't have skill and his  60-odd  goals plus countless assists proved that he was

excellent playing from a midfield position.  His partnership with Lambert seemed almost telepathic and was a joy to watch and if he can

contribute a good 60 minutes to every game, it will be a worthwhile investment and provide good experience for Russell Martin's

A one year contract is a sensible deal and if he can still put in a shift by June next year ..who knows how long he might last?.            

Playing 60 minutes per game seems incredibly optimistic given how often he played last season

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Interesting that he sent his kid to Saints Academy rather than Bournemouth which not only did he claim was his real home but is literally 3 miles up the road from where he lives.

Not that interesting - its a better academy hence why his Dad did the same with him when offered a chance at Saints.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

This will not end well unfortunately, too much baggage and too many raring to say "I told you so".

Best to look forward rather than back to the future. We don't have the time or resources for failed experiments.

To those saying it will not be the same as Walcott's return the response must be that is the only evidence we have on which to make judgements.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

To those saying it will not be the same as Walcott's return the response must be that is the only evidence we have on which to make judgements.

It is not evidence at all... because they are not the same person. How Walcott did or didn't do is completely and utterly irrelevant to what Lallana will do.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

We could have used his wage to pay O'Hare. Perhaps he's not good enough for the Prem, but I'd like to have seen him given a chance. 

Especially as my Solihull based, Saints fan nephew has been friends with O' Hare since they were at school together 20 years ago. I would get so much inside information I could start my own COT. 😁😁😁

Given that RM rarely fails to use all five subs I can see a good case for why he’d want someone to come off the bench at certain times who  is very experienced in pressure situations and is excellent at retaining possession, slowing the game down if needs be etc. AL knows how to do that And, like JWP, will play exactly the position and way he is told like a total pro. I think that’s the nub of why he’s here. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It’s an inspired bit of business.  Our young players don’t have the same affinity to the club fans have, so they’re not going to care about the way Lallana left (and I don’t know why so many are still hung up on it). 

This is a Champions League and Premier League winner with England caps. He’s achieved what our youngsters will be dreaming of. His experience and guidance will be invaluable. We sorely lacked that in our relegation season (apart from Walcott, who had a fraction of the career Lallana has had) so I’m glad we’re now recognising a mix of youth and experience will go a long way.

Edited by Maggie May
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

We could have used his wage to pay O'Hare. Perhaps he's not good enough for the Prem, but I'd like to have seen him given a chance. 

I’d be interested to hear what wages he is actually on. I believe Theo was £75k a week when he came, which wasn’t exactly money well spent for a “free” transfer. If Lallana is looking for a way into coaching then one would hope the wage is considerably lower than that of a regular first teamer so that it doesn’t detract from our financial ability to bring in other more key players.

6 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

It’s an inspired bit of business.  Our young players don’t have the same affinity to the club fans have, so they’re not going to care about the way Lallana left (and I don’t know why so many are still hung up on it). 

This is a Champions League and Premier League winner with England caps. He’s achieved what our youngsters will be dreaming of. His experience and guidance will be invaluable. We sorely lacked that in our relegation season (apart from Walcott, who had a fraction of the career Lallana has had) so I’m glad we’re now recognising a mix of youth and experience will go a long way.

It’s no secret our squad is not made up of serial high level achievers  ( THB aside). I would not worry too much about whatever happened ages ago when he left. it’s gone. 
AL walks into that changing room and there will be genuine respect for him from everyone. When he talks they will listen- and he DOES talk. Inspired bit of biz (as long as he is not on a mad wage.) 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, EssEffCee said:

Playing 60 minutes per game seems incredibly optimistic given how often he played last season

of course, and it depends on how productive the 60..(or so) minutes are in the games he is involved in.

Maybe we can count the minutes and analyse what contribution he provides, but I'm sure he won't be the only

player who gets subbed before the 90+ minutes are over.     Substitutions are part of the game plan these days. 

• Like 1

I think for a one year deal this is a good signing. And not remotely due to his past links. I imagine he will not be a regular starter, but will be a good change option and brings experience and know how to the squad.  

If you listen to most managers they stress the importance of this off field element much more than fans recognise.  These guys are effectively attending a workplace six or seven days a week, and the culture and environment created is crucial.  Given Brighton link I suspect Martin knows him very well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’d be interested to hear what wages he is actually on. I believe Theo was £75k a week when he came, which wasn’t exactly money well spent for a “free” transfer. If Lallana is looking for a way into coaching then one would hope the wage is considerably lower than that of a regular first teamer so that it doesn’t detract from our financial ability to bring in other more key players.

He'll be paid a decent Premier league player wage. 

33 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

of course, and it depends on how productive the 60..(or so) minutes are in the games he is involved in.

Maybe we can count the minutes and analyse what contribution he provides, but I'm sure he won't be the only

player who gets subbed before the 90+ minutes are over.     Substitutions are part of the game plan these days. 

Well he only played 845 minutes last season so I expect it'll be less than that this one coming.

I suspect we'll see him off the bench for 10-15 minute cameos much more than he'll start games.

Edited by EssEffCee

• Lighthouse changed the title to Adam Lallana