Adam Lallana

Trader

Club seem to have some weird infatuation of bringing back academy players at the end of the careers .this feels very similar to Walcott coming back only this time with a part coaching role ..

i loved lallana as a player but to bring him back now just feels Meh to me.. 

as a player can see him having about as much impact as Theo did and as a coach I’ve got no idea 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Club seem to have some weird infatuation of bringing back academy players at the end of the careers .this feels very similar to Walcott coming back only this time with a part coaching role ..

as a player can see him having about as much impact as Theo did and as a coach I’ve got no idea 

I honestly believe the main reason they want him is for Academy coaching after his work with the England U21's and his stated desire to go into coaching. Therefore I would imagine the first year will be a player/coach role whereby he can help out the first team squad, mainly from the subs bench, but then after that he will retire from playing and just Coach. Surman came back without the playing part, Danny Butterfield did likewise. Its nothing new. Had Walcott shown an interest in coaching then that may well have been his brief too. 

I dont particularly want him back, the reasons have been debated on here long and hard, for me its not that he left to better himself its how he left. But I understand the reasons they want him and they are, on a football level, sound so fair enough. If he creates or scores that one goal that keeps us up then the decision is vindicated and the guy becomes a hero again. As bitter as I might be about how he left the fact remains that his departure didnt lead to our spiral down the leagues etc, we had 3 or 4 very very good years without him.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 2

There has always been something a little needy about Lallana. He comes from a prominent Freemason family and the ethos of  Freemasonry is one of friendship and co-operation. The animosity shown by Saints fans towards him must have hurt him. 

There were several occasions when he didn't play at SMS for Liverpool because he was "injured". He often appeared to be bricking it when he did play. In one of his first matches back he came on as a sub and took a corner which ended up nearer the halfway line than our goal. 

I think that he recognises that he was a shit when he left us and wants to put things right. Lets face it - he had the opportunity to be as well regarded around the area as MLT and he blew it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

There has always been something a little needy about Lallana. He comes from a prominent Freemason family and the ethos of  Freemasonry is one of friendship and co-operation. The animosity shown by Saints fans towards him must have hurt him. 

There were several occasions when he didn't play at SMS for Liverpool because he was "injured". He often appeared to be bricking it when he did play. In one of his first matches back he came on as a sub and took a corner which ended up nearer the halfway line than our goal. 

I think that he recognises that he was a shit when he left us and wants to put things right. Lets face it - he had the opportunity to be as well regarded around the area as MLT and he blew it. 

I doubt he gives two shits about putting things right .. more likely just using his old connection with the club to get his foot in the door for coaching 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

So he should have turned down a move to one of the biggest clubs in the world, win the champions league and premier league whilst earning millions so he could be popular in Southampton?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So he should have turned down a move to one of the biggest clubs in the world, win the champions league and premier league whilst earning millions so he could be popular in Southampton?

Not at all... where did I say that? But he is on record as saying that he regrets the way in which he left and I think he  wants to come back to try and restore his image in the area. If he couldn't give a shit about his image why did he take out his full page advert in the Echo when he left? 

Name me one other player who has taken out a similar advert. 

11 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Not at all... where did I say that? But he is on record as saying that he regrets the way in which he left and I think he  wants to come back to try and restore his image in the area. If he couldn't give a shit about his image why did he take out his full page advert in the Echo when he left? 

Rickie Lambert

1 minute ago, Tamesaint said:

Where you said he could have had MLT status here but blew it. 

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Where you said he could have had MLT status here but blew it. 

So you dispute that Lallana could have had MLT status?? 

It is obvious why he moved. Most people would in his position.... But it came at the price of his reputation. 

40 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Rickie Lambert

Did he? He wrote a nice letter to the fans on the club website. I may be mistaken but I don't recall a full page Echo advert. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

It is obvious why he moved. Most people would in his position.... But it came at the price of his reputation. 

Absolutely dispute he could get anywhere near MLT status. Besides, his reputation here was ruined not because he moved but the way in which he did it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Did he? He wrote a nice letter to the fans on the club website. I may be mistaken but I don't recall a full page Echo advert. 

I thought he did, and it was a few weeks before Lallana. I seem to recall when Lallana did it, it was diluted because Rickie had done something before.  I may be wrong but that’s definitely my memory. Maybe I’m conflating the two though.

Edited by The Kraken

19 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Yes absolutely

MLT was miles ahead of Lallana. Lallana wasn’t even the most popular player when he was here. 

• Like 4

well  .......back to the subject of a possible signing Lallana . Those who condemned him for signing for Liverpool may never forgive him, 

but he wasn't the first  - nor likely the last - to take the chance of signing for a club who play at the top end of the Premier League

but although  I was sad to see him go ,  I also think we must be pragmatic and understand that " ambition " is not a dirty word and 

at the highest level a player's career can be short, and not more than the next major injury. 

36  may sound " old "  to many younger fans, but a fit and experienced player can balance his career and fitness and DAJFU.

He won't be offered a 5 year contract for goodness sake - and even if he can help stabilise a squad of young talents and new signings 

who can't find their way to St. Mary's without a sat nav.   

Next season is about survival until we can build a solid squad able to fend for itself and we need experience to help the newcomers. 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yes absolutely

MLT was miles ahead of Lallana. Lallana wasn’t even the most popular player when he was here. 

You cannot compare Lallana to MLT - different players, at different times with different roles, but Lallana had goals in him and without his

pile of assists... Rickie Lambert might never have got past 20 goals a season. 

" Popularity " can change with some people from week to week, but overall Lallana  DAJFU and that can't be denied. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

You cannot compare Lallana to MLT - different players, at different times with different roles, but Lallana had goals in him and without his

" Popularity " can change with some people from week to week, but overall Lallana  DAJFU and that can't be denied. 

Of course he did a job for us but you absolutely can compare player popularity across eras. It's a nonsense to suggest that Lallana was even close to MLT. 

4 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

If you’re just talking about assists form Ricky Lambert then Danny Fox should be a hero as he provided about 15 in the championship season. 

Lallana was a good player and was popular but no where near MLTs level of ability or popularity 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

I mean he didn't did he. He was never getting close to MLT status but he certainly could have had something like Rickie has here where he is doing live shows with Adam Blackmore. When he finally retired he isn't going to her club legend status like some of our top players and he won't be getting that anywhere else which for a player must sting a little even if he has his millions to comfort himself. 

On second thoughts he probably doesn't give a fuck. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If you’re just talking about assists form Ricky Lambert then Danny Fox should be a hero as he provided about 15 in the championship season. 

Lallana was a good player and was popular but no where near MLTs level of ability or popularity 

Lambert got the closest in the modern era and even he is far behind to be honest. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

A weird infatuation, with a grand total of..2 players (one not yet confirmed).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

His angle was that he was very happy at Saints, but in the unlikely scenario that Liverpool would came calling, he would be off. I think the difference is what riled people up over Lallana, who was naively suggesting he could stay for his entire career. And I suspect the club was quite happy to profit from both.

I'm looking forward to this blowing over, only for it to resume with a vengeance when he does his big 'sorry not sorry' interview with Adam Blackmore where it was entirely Les Reed's fault. I'll settle for him helping us stay up, not like we have any control over the decision anyway.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
  • Like 1

On 08/06/2024 at 20:02, Saint_Jonny said:

I can't wait for Lallana to turn up here, do a line of cocaine off of Russel Martin's cock and then call out all of the non-believer's mothers for the absolute whores that they are before he dons a Pompey shirt and shits on a Saints club crest. 

It'd be like Harry Redknapp all over again.

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

May have won trophies.. but he undoubtedly was having his best football with us .. 

At Liverpool really he was more of a squad player not one of their main  men like mane 

personally I don’t see being a squad option as a good move 

Did he actually play in the Champions League final that they won? Again I stand to be corrected but I think he was a sub and he never came on the pitch. In the year that Liverpool won the League he played 15 times (including substitute appearances) and scored just the 1 goal. Over 6 seasons he barely averaged over 20 appearances for them (including sub appearances) He was hardly an integral part of Livetpool's success and his international career was over before he was 30. 

Admittedly his bank balance may be better than if he had stayed but I doubt that he would have been on a pauper's wage with us. Did he make the right move to leave? 

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 2

Here’s a thought:

Last season we bizarrely extended Charley’s contract, his play didn’t really fit us, and then he went on loan to Juve. He’s super determined, and talented, but still very raw.

What if Adam Lallana’s key role this year was to teach/coach Alcaraz how to be a young Stu Armstrong - therefore considerably enhancing the value of a club asset and our AM options?

Also I bet RM has got to know AL through Brighton connections. So to him the transfer might seem like Ryan Fraser’s - bringing in a black sheep that you personally trust? 

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

If you’re just talking about assists form Ricky Lambert then Danny Fox should be a hero as he provided about 15 in the championship season

Lallana was a good player ..and was popular but no where near MLTs level of ability or popularity 

1) you are correct (Turkish) about Fox's impressive "assist "stats. but that was only in one season, and he was later replaced by the " young " Shaw.

Lallana and Lambert were playing together from our L1 days ( ouch!   I hate having to say that ) but their combination play - and assists for each other 

must rank pretty high in anyone's stats. in the period from L1 up to their joint departure.   

IMHO ...Their " lackluster "  careers at Liverpool were in part due to the mismanagement of Brendan Rodgers who, having bought them both,

consistently failed to have them on the pitch at the same time, when their partnership together at Saints was the real key to their earlier success.  

Klopp  started using Lallana more after taking over at Anfield,  (by which time Lambert had already gone) but sadly Lallana had some serious injury

issues and never quite recovered the form of his earlier level. 

2) MLT ....( like Terry Paine and Ron Davies  for differing reasons) were in a class of their own, and can scarcely be compared to anyone else

.. in any generation.    Paine for his longevity (over 800 appearances)  - and he even had the club record for goals scored at one time.

Ron Davies of course held the top tier goals record ( Div.1 in that era,) and had a phenomenal goals/games %, considering his relatively

short time at the club. 

Even if Mick Channon outscored them all over a longer period.... MLT  was in a class of his own simply because of the manner of his goalscoring. 

A quick look back on YouTube is a joy every time you watch it.

Edited by david in sweden

The main issue here is that he is 36 years old and has had a series of injuries. If they are thinking of buying him to play I think the money should be spent elsewhere. If they are buying him as a coach, is it because he was from the academy and the optics are good  or is it because he is one of the best coaches out there?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Here’s a thought:

Last season we bizarrely extended Charley’s contract, his play didn’t really fit us, and then he went on loan to Juve. He’s super determined, and talented, but still very raw.

What if Adam Lallana’s key role this year was to teach/coach Alcaraz how to be a young Stu Armstrong - therefore considerably enhancing the value of a club asset and our AM options?

Also I bet RM has got to know AL through Brighton connections. So to him the transfer might seem like Ryan Fraser’s - bringing in a black sheep that you personally trust? 

If the actual Stu Armstrong couldn't shape Alcaraz into being a 'young stu armstrong' over 18 months, what hope has Adam Lallana... 

Ironically, alcaraz is probably more akin to AL than he is SA

6 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The main issue here is that he is 36 years old and has had a series of injuries. If they are thinking of buying him to play I think the money should be spent elsewhere. If they are buying him as a coach, is it because he was from the academy and the optics are good  or is it because he is one of the best coaches out there?

To get into a position where he’s highly thought of as an England U-21 coach would seem to suggest he’s got the right stuff. I guess the club must be of the impression that he can do a good job within our academy and I don’t think there’s been any conclusive evidence that he’s going to rack up game time thankfully.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

8 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Did he actually play in the Champions League final that they won? Again I stand to be corrected but I think he was a sub and he never came on the pitch. In the year that Liverpool won the League he played 15 times (including substitute appearances) and scored just the 1 goal. Over 6 seasons he barely averaged over 20 appearances for them (including sub appearances) He was hardly an integral part of Livetpool's success and his international career was over before he was 30. 

Admittedly his bank balance may be better than if he had stayed but I doubt that he would have been on a pauper's wage with us. Did he make the right move to leave? 

You are correct, despite remembering his face front and centre when they celebrated at an empty Anfield (due to Covid) his role in winning both those trophies was minimal to say the least.

8 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Very obviously yes, I don’t know why there’s any debate on this. He’s achieved (and earned) far more with Liverpool than he ever would here, I’ve no idea why people think that’s somehow on par with being slightly more popular with strangers on the internet.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

To get into a position where he’s highly thought of as an England U-21 coach would seem to suggest he’s got the right stuff. I guess the club must be of the impression that he can do a good job within our academy and I don’t think there’s been any conclusive evidence that he’s going to rack up game time thankfully.

Fair do’s. I didn’t know about his coaching experience with England.

32 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Very obviously yes, I don’t know why there’s any debate on this. He’s achieved (and earned) far more with Liverpool than he ever would here, I’ve no idea why people think that’s somehow on par with being slightly more popular with strangers on the internet.

Strangers on the net, exchanging their thoughts
Bickering on the net
What were the chances they'd be whingers
Over signings of left wingers
Before the night was through

Close season gossip was always Sinatra's favourite.

Pros
Experience of a number of midfield roles, all of which we have gaps in.
A vocal player, demanding on the pitch
Free
Played at the world's bestest club at it's bestest ever time under it's bestest ever manager
International, and Champions League player
Brings knowledge of both Liverpool's and Brighton's setup.
Is keen to develop coaching and set standards
Nivea Boy is a replacement for Stu's hair
An example of a player who moved onto a bigger club from us, which is what SR want to see their signings aspire to.

Cons
Cloud over how he left last time
Suggestions on the personality behind his actions
Fitness
Concern on how well he gets on with Jack regarding the teacher's pet role.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Strangers on the net, exchanging their thoughts
Bickering on the net
What were the chances they'd be whingers
Over signings of left wingers
Before the night was through

Close season gossip was always Sinatra's favourite.

Pros
Experience of a number of midfield roles, all of which we have gaps in.
A vocal player, demanding on the pitch
Free
Played at the world's bestest club at it's bestest ever time under it's bestest ever manager
International, and Champions League player
Brings knowledge of both Liverpool's and Brighton's setup.
Is keen to develop coaching and set standards
Nivea Boy is a replacement for Stu's hair
An example of a player who moved onto a bigger club from us, which is what SR want to see their signings aspire to.

Cons
Cloud over how he left last time
Suggestions on the personality behind his actions
Fitness
Concern on how well he gets on with Jack regarding the teacher's pet role.

Further cons:

30 appearances in all competitions last season with a grand total of 0 goals 1 assist.

Likely 2 year contract for a 36 year old that can't finish 90 minutes now

Signing on fee and high wages when we're clearly working to a limited budget

• Like 3

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Further cons:

30 appearances in all competitions last season with a grand total of 0 goals 1 assist.

Likely 2 year contract for a 36 year old that can't finish 90 minutes now

Signing on fee and high wages when we're clearly working to a limited budget

I thought of the wages bit, but left it off because surely they've learned. Hmmm, now that I'm typing that... 🙂 I gave them credit of structuring it properly.

The appearances, although not goals admittedly, I put under fitness. 13 starts and 12 sub appearances. Not having paid attention, was he moved into a more attacking role last season? He was playing a deeper role for a while, I think?

17 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I thought of the wages bit, but left it off because surely they've learned. Hmmm, now that I'm typing that... 🙂 I gave them credit of structuring it properly.

The appearances, although not goals admittedly, I put under fitness. 13 starts and 12 sub appearances. Not having paid attention, was he moved into a more attacking role last season? He was playing a deeper role for a while, I think?

What role would he play here? Certainly not the Downes role. I'd expect players in the Smallbone and Aribo roles to provide some goals and assists as well as have some athleticism about them (making runs from the midfield and tracking back when the opponent beats the high press we utilise).

If Brighton played him deeper, it rather suggests he can't effectively play the advanced roles anymore. Somebody made the argument it doesn't matter if he can only play 60 minutes because we rotate our front 3 anyway but he won't be in our front 3.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What role would he play here? Certainly not the Downes role. I'd expect players in the Smallbone and Aribo roles to provide some goals and assists as well as have some athleticism about them (making runs from the midfield and tracking back when the opponent beats the high press we utilise). If Brighton played him deeper, it rather suggests he can't effectively play the advanced roles anymore.

I can only assume here, not having seen much of them. I agree he's not going to be our new Downes. Our players are pretty flexible, and Lallana could provide alternatives to Will, and a departing Stu. I agree that both require a lot of movement. So, back to that fitness con. He looks to have both the intelligence and technical ability.

My first thought of him playing deeper was due to age/ pace. But Brighton did have some other excellent midfielders, so  I'd not rule out a bit of it being tactical/ flexible there too.

• Like 1

For reasons that have already been done to death. Not impressed.

He is not welcome.

Strange timing to announce it with the Euros starting tonight, trying to bury bad news when attention is elsewhere?

Edited by Colinjb
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

For reasons that have already been done to death. Not impressed.

He is not welcome.

Strange timing to announce it with the Euros starting tonight, trying to bury bad news when attention is elsewhere?

Or because today is the day the window opens? 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Adam Lallana