Adam Lallana

Trader

9 hours ago, Oldandtired said:

TBH I think he could be a key figure for the club for years to come, long after his playing days are finished. He’s been there, done that, got every t shirt under the sun and apparently is an excellent communicator. 

Future academy guru?

Manager...

Got to be honest, it was humble pie-time for me when he came on. We've got nobody in the team with that level of composure (Fernandes probably the closest thing, but obviously he's very young).

Such a different type of role to the ones he used to be used in here, too. I think he might actually be important this year. Shame he'll probably be broken.

• Like 1

Caveat: he came on against tired Cardiff second team kids who would probably be queuing to get his autograph after match and too much in awe to get too near him. In EPL he would not get that space and time.,

However: I was delighted ( despite my previous small reservation that he may be psychologically blunted by his injuries) by his performance.
 He did immediately bring a sense of calm and direction and understanding of what it was Saints were supposed to do from c 60 minute onwards. He brought instant, confident, leadership. 

His regular vocal and sign language instructions to ABK in particular of when to advance who to pass to etc plus also obvious instructions to our kids of positions and where the ball must go is almost unheard of at Saints. Not seen that amount of vocal obvious confident ownership / leadership in a while at Saints - for all Captain Jacks qualities. And the less said of AM as skipper the better. 

He may not make 90 but it was pretty obvious ( to me) thats a genuine class above player out there with a unique experiential attribute we do not have elsewhere in squad.

When you consider our go-to midfielder from the bench last season was Joe Rothwell I think AL’s impact will be a LOT more and in a LOT more ways, on and off pitch, this season. Great signing. 

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, iansums said:

I enjoyed those familiar Cruyff turns when no-one was within 5 yards of him.

I thought he used them very well to get out of tight spots and change the direction of play. A very accomplished cameo last night and he was clearly the best footballer on the pitch in terms of technique, awareness and ability and I get that it wasn't a particularly high bar.

• Like 1

Last night felt like special circumstances:

• No established captain in the squad
  • Lots of new recruits
  • Everyone playing for the first team in a competitive match for the first time (or first time this season)
  • Average age of squad very low
  • Lower pressure match
  • Playing a second string young 11 from a team a league lower
  • Specific instructions from RM to help coach the younger players

In these circumstances having him coach the game while on the pitch - almost an Ollie Lancashire U21 type role was appropriate, and effective to close out and win in the least 30 mins. Even ABK was able to take instruction because of the precarious position of his career right now.

BUT would he genuinely feel able (and be welcomed) to coach in the PL with our first team?

If Jack isn't playing is he Captain or is Flynn/Arma?

What about if we sign JWP? You'd imagine JWP would have plenty of respect for him, as would the majority of the squad. I really couldn't see ABK taking that kind advice in the 22-23 PL season for example.

13 minutes ago, Suhari said:

I thought I heard a bit of booing when he first touched the ball.

Did that happen (or had my red wine really kicked in)?

Not in ground there wasn’t from Saints end I was in

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Oozed class. Looked a quality above anyone else last night. Don’t think he gave the ball away once, and it wasn’t just safe balls either. Hopefully we’ll see a few more cameos like that in the league before the seasons out. 

He didn’t. 30 passes completed out of 30. He could be very helpful for old Russ. 

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

He didn’t. 30 passes completed out of 30. He could be very helpful for old Russ. 

Good grief! That's very poor. That's an average of roughly a pass a minute, which is just not acceptable. No way we're getting the most passes in a match record with that pedestrian pace.

He needs to hoist his britches if he wants a first team spot.

3 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Scumbag of the highest order, cortese rentboy

Ha!!! Footballer gives the best years of his career to us, sticks with us when relegated, doesn't get the move he's promised, but he's the bad guy cos Les told you he was. Fans have been taken in by the bs on this. 

Cracking player. 

Glad he's back.

Glad it's annoyed you. 

• Like 2

Just now, egg said:

Ha!!! Footballer gives the best years of his career to us, sticks with us when relegated, doesn't get the move he's promised, but he's the bad guy cos Les told you he was. Fans have been taken in by the bs on this. 

Cracking player. 

Glad he's back.

Glad it's annoyed you. 

Proof? Or is it just speculation?

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Proof? Or is it just speculation?

Proof he stitched us up? Or is it just speculation? 

I heard enough at the time to satisfy me that he did nowt wrong. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Hearsay then yes?

I have zero reason to doubt what I heard, and no reason to take the media spin over it. Regardless, there's no doubting that he stayed bloody loyal to us when relegated and it's a shame many fans can't see that. 

At the end of the day, people can believe what/who they like, no skin off my nose, but I find it a tad pathetic that people take the media spin at face value, and can still be bitter about it years later.

He's back, he's good, move on. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I have zero reason to doubt what I heard, and no reason to take the media spin over it. Regardless, there's no doubting that he stayed bloody loyal to us when relegated and it's a shame many fans can't see that. 

At the end of the day, people can believe what/who they like, no skin off my nose, but I find it a tad pathetic that people take the media spin at face value, and can still be bitter about it years later.

He's back, he's good, move on. 

Totally agree but you have no more or less proof than those that choose to believe the counter argument. 

8 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Totally agree but you have no more or less proof than those that choose to believe the counter argument. 

I'm satisfied that I do. 

41 minutes ago, egg said:

Cracking player. 

Glad he's back.

Glad it's annoyed you. 

Nope its something far more sinisiter than simply leaving, i can highlight a minor secondary part of it because Lallana made it known the cretin.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/adam-lallana-begged-join-liverpool-5983066

But there is a lot more to the situation and its got nowt to do with Les Reed and all do with Nicola Cortese.

Edited by SaintsLoyal

1 minute ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Nope its something far more sinisiter than simply leaving, i can highlight one part of it because Lallana made it known the cretin.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/adam-lallana-begged-join-liverpool-5983066

But there is a lot more to the situation and its got nowt to do with Les Reed and all do with Nicola Cortese.

You've got one hell of a chip on your shoulder.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Nope its something far more sinisiter than simply leaving, i can highlight a minor secondary part of it because Lallana made it known the cretin.

20-something lad enjoying playing football at a CL club urges former team mate to join him.

Oh no! What a massive prick he must be! 🙄

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

20-something lad enjoying playing football at a CL club urges former team mate to join him.

Oh no! What a massive prick he must be! 🙄

Indeed. In the real world anyone with any sense wants to progress and develop, and mates who've done well somewhere else, will always tell us how good it is. That's life. 

When I was a kid, my dad and his mate worked at Ford's . His mate moved to the docks and once told him how great it was, better money, more opportunities, and that there were jobs available. I never realised before now what a massive prick that bloke was! Good job my dad didn't take the job, I may never have forgiven him cos I've always been a fan of transit's. 

• Like 3

Good to see Adam on Wednesday, I enjoyed that performance, lots of class there. He'll only come on for a few cameos the rest of the season I suspect but hopefully we can enjoy them nonetheless. His priority will be building his coaching credentials and good luck to him.

I have never understood football fans getting all hissy and upset when a pro footballer chooses to take an offer of more money to work elsewhere. I got over that when those bastards at Spurs dumped Frank Saul on us for my hero at the time Martin Chivers. If I could cope with that I can cope with anything.

If another employer offered to bung you £20k and double your salary, for the same job, I reckon most wouldn't take long to think about it. Especially if your effective working life ends at 35 if you are lucky. You really aren't going to care to much about those you leave behind. I would be like Hasta la vista baby, I've 20K in my pocket and a one way ticket to Rio.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, macca155 said:

Good to see Adam on Wednesday, I enjoyed that performance, lots of class there. He'll only come on for a few cameos the rest of the season I suspect but hopefully we can enjoy them nonetheless. His priority will be building his coaching credentials and good luck to him.

I have never understood football fans getting all hissy and upset when a pro footballer chooses to take an offer of more money to work elsewhere. I got over that when those bastards at Spurs dumped Frank Saul on us for my hero at the time Martin Chivers. If I could cope with that I can cope with anything.

If another employer offered to bung you £20k and double your salary, for the same job, I reckon most wouldn't take long to think about it. Especially if your effective working life ends at 35 if you are lucky. You really aren't going to care to much about those you leave behind. I would be like Hasta la vista baby, I've 20K in my pocket and a one way ticket to Rio.

And dont forget Sir Michael de Channon buggering off to Man City only to return to Saints in glory.
As an aside I played for Southampton schoolboys in the year below Martin Chivers who was eventually sold to Spurs for a record fee of £125k!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

And dont forget Sir Michael de Channon buggering off to Man City only to return to Saints in glory.
As an aside I played for Southampton schoolboys in the year below Martin Chivers who was eventually sold to Spurs for a record fee of £125k!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Channon going was sort of understandable as Saints were relegated. He was an England regular and needed to keep his place.

Chivers was a massive shock. I had his sticker and everything . Gutted

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macca155 said:

Chivers was a massive shock. I had his sticker and everything . Gutted

I was at school with him.  Nothing out of the ordinary in our team; more than a few better than him but he practised several hours a day and eared his reward,  I’d love to have him as our CF for this season: the missing link in our transfer dealings this year IMO.  Well pleased with almost everything else we have done.

• Like 3

Thought he looked quality when he came on again, really tied things together up front.  Was instrumental in our first PL goal after being on for just 10 minutes or so.  Any chance he could do more for us than play as a late sub?  

If he could do 45, wouldn't we be better off starting him, then perhaps make changes at 65 if he needs it?  

• Like 3

On 30/08/2024 at 14:32, S-Clarke said:

You've got one hell of a chip on your shoulder.

He appears every two weeks or so to spout some bile about something or other, I assume his posting coincides with his fortnightly release for rehabilitation into society programme. 

• Like 1

Hes a traitor and far too many gullible fans on here cant see the obvious even when its been repeated many times on this forum.

He smells of guilt according to a staplewood insider and hasnt stopped licking Martins bollocks since he turned up.

Maybe its a masonic thing and his little apron and gloves.

The sooner the rat gets a longterm injury the better.

Poor old Parsons made a right clanger bringing back this snake after what he did.

Edited by SaintsLoyal
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Hes a traitor and far too many gullible fans on here cant see the obvious even when its been repeated many times on this forum.

He smells of guilt according to a staplewood insider and hasnt stopped licking Martins bollocks since he turned up.

Poor old Parsons made a right clanger bringing back this snake after what he did.

I don't much care if Adam and Martin tag team Pinder over the changing room massage table. If he performs well and gets us points then what he does outside of that is irrelevant. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Get a life you boring twat.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Yeah, he's a Rat. As long as he sufficiently does his job then at least his time back here will be tolerable. Would rather he hadn't resurfaced, have been more then outspoken about that, but if he has to be here at least let there be a positive contribution.

My opinion on him as a person will not change though.

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Did he bone your missus you seem to attack him at every opportunity on here and on twitter ,if you know something don’t you think it would be in everyone’s interest to share your beef because at the moment you come across as kind of obsessed?

7 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

He appears every two weeks or so to spout some bile about something or other, I assume his posting coincides with his fortnightly release for rehabilitation into society programme. 

Looks like he's been released early.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Yeah, he's a Rat. As long as he sufficiently does his job then at least his time back here will be tolerable. Would rather he hadn't resurfaced, have been more then outspoken about that, but if he has to be here at least let there be a positive contribution.

My opinion on him as a person will not change though.

He speaks very highly of you too...

• Haha 1

On 30/08/2024 at 16:25, CSA96 said:

Bloody hell are we still going on about this? It's almost 2025 now :lol:

(looked tidy the other night, good to have him in the group)

Why does Lallana get all the poison for when half the team decamped to Liverpool?  It was Lambert who went first and opened the door, no one blames him.

• Like 1