Registration of Charge: MacQuarie Bank vs MSD Holdings

trousers

I see that the annual 'Satisfaction of Charge' and 'Registration of Charge' procedure has just taken place, as it always does around this time of year....

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00053301/filing-history

A couple of diferences I can see from previous years though:

- The lender is no longer MacQuarie Bank but MSD UK Holdings Ltd 
- The new charge documentation now includes Intellectual Property, i.e. trademarks such as the club badge and phrases such as "The Southampton Way", "We March On" and "The Saints" (!)

I don't recall seeing the charge documents going down to that level of detail and inclusion before (they usually just refer to the more tangible assets such as the stadium and training ground)

Not sure if there's anything to be read into this but thought I'd mention it in passing :) (any ITK financiers out there?!)

image.thumb.png.89eec8670d930b3a6c63f9e5d5d91b81.png

image.thumb.png.bd2d85db74bbd13a4d1dbd4784458d81.png

image.png.18f2e45161253c9c1a792511690ad508.pngimage.png.cec2c85b78a08730e045b8a69d186e95.png

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

I also note that this year's charge is explicity labelled as a "Debenture" whereas previous charges have just been refered to as a "Deed"... a quick Google search suggests that Debentures usually last at least 10 years.... so, reading between the lines, maybe this is a way of securing more upfront funds than is usually possible in a bog standard annual 'charge'....? (dunno.... all gobbledegook to me....)

Edited by trousers

29 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

MSD UK Holdings Ltd was only formed on Monday (!!), and its registered address is a registered office service called LegalinX. Odd...

The Debenture/Charge is signed my Marcello Liguori (of MSD UK Holdings Ltd) but his address is given as MSD Partners, L.P.  in New York, USA....

image.png.133d51f89107e805e613f6a6065abbc7.png

Marcello L. is also listed as a director on the newly formed UK arm of the company....

image.thumb.png.ef901b9ed9fd6aabda64d032ccba8c57.png

So, looks like they are "Financial Intermediatories" rather than the actual lenders....

Adding 2 + 2 to get 5.... does this suggest we're being financed out of the USA now....?

Edited by trousers

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

The Debenture/Charge is signed my Marcello Liguori (of MSD UK Holdings Ltd) but his address is given as MSD Partners, L.P.  in New York, USA....

image.png.133d51f89107e805e613f6a6065abbc7.png

Marcello L. is also listed as a director on the newly formed UK arm of the company....

image.thumb.png.ef901b9ed9fd6aabda64d032ccba8c57.png

So, looks like they are "Financial Intermediatories" rather than the actual lenders....

Adding 2 + 2 to get 5.... does this suggest we're being funded out of the USA now....?

Email him & ask him, Trousers! :)

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

So its an investment firm that would buy the club using a loan secured against the club. Not the investment our fans would hope for.

One of K,Billy’s last posts was voting for:

F) American owners buying the club through loans put on the club

22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

A Saints shirt with Dell as the sponsors would be pretty nice! 😃

1200px-Dell_logo.svg.png

Wonder if they'd be interested in naming rights for the stadium. Struggling to think of what they could call it though ....

• Like 2

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-investment-michael-dell-3997781

"Dell's name has previously been mentioned in connection with League One Sunderland, but it transpired that MSD Partners - a company that doesn't use Dell's money - was actually investing.

They ended up loaning the Black Cats £9 million, which if owner Stewart Donald failed to repay would end up with MSD Partners owning the club"

Edited by Nolan

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I've read every post 3 times and I still have no idea what's going on. Are we being bought by the founder of Dell? Can I buy the champagne yet?

We have just taken out our usual short term cash flow loan with a new company.

Security now includes trade marks, some of which are mysteriously pending in India.

The debenture was signed by someone with indistinct earlobes.

However he is merely an employee of MSD allsorts.

MSD are owned ultimately by a multi-billionaire whose parents were such big Saints fans they named him after our old ground. However, like many kids nowadays he was more interested in computers than sports, but is now having a mid-life crisis and wants to buy a new toy.

Therefore we are about to be taken over and in view of our shit record at SMS will play all home games next season somewhere in the USA.

It's all pretty ,much definite, but stick to Tizer for now, don't want to be too premature.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Probably not.

You invest money to get a return. You would think they see Saints as having potential to make money from am investment boost.

Isn't the scenario where they'd make most money is if Saints were to do badly (on and off the pitch) and end up defaulting on the loan? That way the investor gets all the club's assets for way less than they are worth?

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Isn't the scenario where they'd make most money is if Saints were to do badly (on and off the pitch) and end up defaulting on the loan? That way the investor gets all the club's assets for way less than they are worth?

The scenario where they make the easiest money is the one where they give Saints upfront cash and get it paid back on time, with interest and they have nothing else they need to do to earn it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

The scenario where they make the easiest money is the one where they give Saints upfront cash and get it paid back on time, with interest and they have nothing else they need to do to earn it.

Yep, agree that's the easiest route to a profit. I was just pondering what eventuality would give them maximum returns. 

probably nothing more than MSD (or whoever they are) investing their money for guaranteed higher/steady returns (compared to rates from the bank)

basically, buying money!

Edited by Batman

There has been a lot going on behind the scenes 

Its worth noting that the company taking the charge MSD UK Holdings limited 12701276 was only incorporated on the 29th June five days ago and the directors added at the same time .

So this is not a company that lent to derby or sunderland , there may be a conection but this a totally new company .....this action is regularly taken , setting up an SPV to purchase a high value asset , it smacks of that in my opinion.

More worrying is two levels of ultimate ownership appearing above the UK holding company  . The ultimate owner was LANDER SPORTS UK LIMITED 10449153 which is the one i suggested people looked at the accounts published for closely. 

However 

Two other companies now appear above LANDER SPORTS UK LIMITED in the ownership tree .

LANDER SPORTS INVESTMENTS LIMITED (A CHINESE COMPANY )

AND THE ULTIMATE OWNER OF THE CLUB IS NOW AN AUSTRALIAN COMPANY 

SOUTHAMPTON SPORTS DEVELOPMENT LIMITED 

Why we are now owned by a Australian company i have no idea ....maybe MCquarrie who are Aussie have called in there debt and we are in effect in the hands of the reciever and the bank set up the holding company .

I am running searches now on the Aussie company .

All very odd

10449153 is the Company number for Lander Sports Investment.

Be careful you're not confusing Lander Sports Investment with the completely separate "Lander Sports" that Gao lost control of last year.

Edited by Nolan